Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merseyside Derby

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

With Andy Gray at the Lane does that mean we dont have to listen to his Everton bias co commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

PaulieC wrote: »
    I think it's a bit ridiculous if Spearing gets a start considering how utterly ordinary he's been for the reserves - there's two or three players ahead of him in the pecking order for a start.

At the same time - I don't want to put down a young player, I've stuck up for Lucas & N'Gog enough times to know I should give Spearing a chance but my heart sank a little bit when I saw that team because from what I've seen of him so far - he's not up to Premiership standard

My thoughts exactly.

I'm extremely disheartened to see him get a chance ahead of someone like Pacheco who has been lightyears ahead of him for the reserves. Kuyt doesn't deserve to be near a pool team at the moment

My gut tells me the only reason he has been picked today is for aggression and because he's a local and probably "gets" the derby or something. It just cannot be on ability. Shelvey is already a much better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

That teama makes little sense on so many levels. Spearing is just returning from a serious ankle injury, add to that Shelvey is twice the player of Spearing. Not to mention we've much better options on the bench. Meireles could've done with a spell on the bench too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

The Liverpool team in full is: Reina, Kelly, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Meireles, Lucas, Spearing, Maxi, Kuyt, Torres.

Subs: Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Cole, Aurelio, Shelvey, Pacheco, Babel.

Apparently.

Confirmed

Not that it really matters but wheres Brad Jones?

Also strange to see N'Gog omitted from the squad.

No surprise to see Poulsen or Jova left out.

MR NINE wrote: »
    Confirmed

Not that it really matters but wheres Brad Jones?

Also strange to see N'Gog omitted from the squad.

No surprise to see Poulsen or Jova left out.

Jones is at the Asia cup with Australia

As an aside, it makes our spending 3m on him strange. Surely we knew he'd be missing for a good stretch of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

niallo27 wrote: »
    Liverpool have being awful this season but yet still on the same points as everton, we are at home, kennys first game, the place will be rocking, what not be confident

Johnson at fullback, Lucas and Spearing in the middle. Maxi out wide.

We're going to get beaten again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I'm reasonably happy with that team. I don't think Spearing will let anyone down. Certainly an improvement on treacle wading Poulsen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Loving the positivity, get behind your team ffs

We are asking to be beaten with that team

We are asking to be beaten with that team

Where would you improve aside from Aurelio coming in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Good 'ole Saha, finds his scoring boots then remembers he's made of glass.

you can get behind your team and still express bemusement or dismay at the team selection. I don't understand anything about that starting 11. Makes no sense to me.

Still support the team. Still hope we win

My gut tells me the only reason he has been picked today is for aggression and because he's a local and probably "gets" the derby or something. It just cannot be on ability. Shelvey is already a much better player.

Perhaps he feels what with Gerrard and Carra out we need something like that in the Derby - I'm in agreement with you though - Shelvey is a far better player, he's enthusiastic, and as Flah pointed out - the type of physically imposing player we need today up against Fellaini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Voltwad wrote: »
    Good 'ole Saha, finds his scoring boots then remembers he's made of glass.

Any line up Volt?

Where would you improve aside from Aurelio coming in?

Aurelio in for Johnson at LB.

Johnson in for Kuyt at RW

Spearing out of the team and Pacheco in playing behind Torres.

Probably Babel on for Maxi as well.

Sorry.

We'll beat them 8-0. Lucas hattrick, Torres with four and Reina will score from his own box.

We'll have all the possession as well with the steely midfield we've put out and we'll bully Fellaini out the game.

How's that ?

It's retarded isn't it ?

Kuyt will score today, he always scores in these games.

you can get behind your team and still express bemusement or dismay at the team selection. I don't understand anything about that starting 11. Makes no sense to me.

I get that, really do - we're all bemused & disheartened by the team selection - but writing off that team for a loss before a ball's been kicked isn't what I want to see on here - it just grinds my gears a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

flahavaj wrote: »
    Any line up Volt?

Howard, Neville, Baines, Distin, Heitinga, Coleman, Fellaini, Osman, Arteta, Beckford, Anichebe.

Sorry.

We'll beat them 8-0. Lucas hattrick, Torres with four and Reina will score from his own box.

We'll have all the possession as well with the steely midfield we've put out and we'll bully Fellaini out the game.

How's that ?

It's retarded isn't it ?

Oh....I see what you did there.....hilarious

• Advertisement

Aurelio in for Johnson at LB.

Johnson in for Kuyt at RW

Spearing out of the team and Pacheco in playing behind Torres.

Probably Babel on for Maxi as well.

Pacheco starting in a mersyside derby? Not so sure about that. I can see the reasoning for Aurelio coming in for Johnson but I don't see why Johnson would be playing as an attacking right midfielder having never played there before?

As for Babel? Surely we've watched enough of Babel to realise he makes little impact starting.

We seem to be playing a proper 4-3-3. Therefore we need 3 midfielders in midfield, can't see Pacheco performing there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Howard, Neville, Baines, Distin, Heitinga, Coleman, Fellaini, Osman, Arteta, Beckford, Anichebe.

Looks a bit blunt up front, no Saha or Cahill.

Liverpool 2-0 Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Pretty disappointed that Aurelio isn't starting. Spearing will still be an improvement over poulsen and maxi is an improvement over Jova so i'm relatively happy.

Come on the Pool!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Xavi6 wrote: »

Is this the confirmed starting XI yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Johnson shouldn't be in a left back but apart from that no real complaints. At least Kenny understands the need for a DM, just a shame Hodgson left us with no good ones at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

4-5-1?

is that right?'

i don't think Spearing will let anyone down, but i honestly believe that Pacheco behind Torres would've been a far better option at home.

Spearing & Lucas in the same team at home is asking for trouble IMO.

Oh....I see what you did there.....hilarious

If you want a positive it's that Jovanovic, Poulsen and Konchesky aren't in the squad. Presumably we must be trying to offload them.

We're still getting beat though

Pacheco starting in a mersyside derby? Not so sure about that. I can see the reasoning for Aurelio coming in for Johnson but I don't see why Johnson would be playing as an attacking right midfielder having never played there before?

As for Babel? Surely we've watched enough of Babel to realise he makes little impact starting.

We seem to be playing a proper 4-3-3. Therefore we need 3 midfielders in midfield, can't see Pacheco performing there.

It's ok to play spearing in a Derby but not pacheco. Despite him having so much more quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just a shame Hodgson left us with no good ones at the club.

he can be blamed for Poulsen, not the entire depth of central midfield.

it's also unfortunate that Masch was set on leaving when Roy arrived.

i'm still going to do 2-1 Liverpool, somehow.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    4-5-1?

is that right?'

i don't think Spearing will let anyone down, but i honestly believe that Pacheco behind Torres would've been a far better option at home.

4-3-3 I believe. A la barcelona:o

It's ok to play spearing in a Derby but not pacheco. Despite him having so much more quality

I think Spearing is better defensively and probably better operating in midfield. Pacheco would be vying with Maxi or Kuyt for a spot in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Lads be realistic about Pacheco ffs - the guy has only a handful of appearances for us mostly in the Europa League/Carling Cup . Yet ye all seem to be complaining that hes not playing today . Throwing him straight into the deep end in a derby against Everton is not the time to be giving a player like him his opportunity. This game is always fiercely contested & his lack of height/muscle would be clearly shown up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Kuyt will score today, he always scores in these games.

I stuck €20 on Kuyt as first goalscorer at 15/2. As you say, he always scores in these games!

Hoki wrote: »
    Lads be realistic about Pacheco ffs - the guy has only a handful of appearances for us mostly in the Europa League/Carling Cup . Yet ye all seem to be complaining that hes not playing today . Throwing him straight into the deep end in a derby against Everton is not the time to be giving a player like him his opportunity. This game is always fiercely contested & his lack of height/muscle would be clearly shown up.

Quality trumps physique any day

Hoki wrote: »

Yet Spearing, who also lacks height/muscle has been thrown in for only his second league start ever.

• Advertisement

4-5-1?

is that right?'

Seems to be 4-4-2 to me.

I'd say Spearing is in there for the local element with Carragher and Gerrard missing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

he can be blamed for Poulsen, not the entire depth of central midfield.

We had Macherano, Aqulani, Lucas, and Gerrard as midfield options when Hodgson was hired, now we have Poulsen, Lucas, Meireles and Gerrard.

Yet Spearing, who also lacks height/muscle has been thrown in for only his second league start ever.

Spearing is far more physical then Pacheco.

He's a bit more combative to be fair. Consistently good for the reserves, deserves a shot at it. He's mobile at least, unlike Poulsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Spearing doesnt lack muscle & he doesnt shirk a tackle. Pacheco played a Europa League game this season - cant remember which one but he was anonymous due to the physical nature of it - think it was against Napoli.

The important question is............Is Mrs Henry there today??

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Seems to be 4-4-2 to me.

I'd say Spearing is in there for the local element with Carragher and Gerrard missing!

No definitely 4-3-3. As against United and Blackpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Anyone have a good link for the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

this has to be the worst liverpool midfield ever, i would prefer to go back to back to the roy evans era, at least they tried to play football back then

Anyone have a good link for the match?

http://www.firstrow.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Can't wait for this, should be good. Come on Everton :D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Feeling strangely confident about 3 pts today - no reason why - eternal optimism maybe - Come On The Pool Torres double please and a neville og

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There's goona be some atmosphere for the start of this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

christ liverpool fans are class haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Unusual for Sky not to take a break. KOP looks good with all those flags

• Advertisement
Advertisement