Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longboarding (Skate)

Options
  • 13-01-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hey -

Any longboarders in the Country?

Slam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lenny01

Yeah i'm a longboarder why?
    :pac: .............o..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Reminds me to grease my bearings again :-)

ThOnda wrote: »
    Reminds me to grease my bearings again :-)
    WD40 FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

lenny01 wrote: »
    Yeah i'm a longboarder why?
    :pac: .............o..........

Haven't come across any in Dublin - granted I haven;t been looking.

So whats your set up? Do you hill or cruise? Aren't many hills in Kildare are there?

Slam

Well my setup is mainly for cruising around the local park there are a few hills around that I use for sliding practice.

• Advertisement

Sweet. Whats your set up lenny?

my setup is a Loaded Dervish/ loaded dancer with Paris 180's and lime Big Zigs. Whats your setup?

Well, it is a board with four wheels. And a drop of Speed Cream in each bearing ;)
    3916542929_cb70c11e78.jpg

I've spent most of the time in Phoenix Park and on the road behind the office. I am scared by hills.

Well, it is a board with four wheels. And a drop of Speed Cream in each bearing ;)
    3916542929_cb70c11e78.jpg

I've spent most of the time in Phoenix Park and on the road behind the office. I am scared by hills.
    That longboard looks so cool, what is that a 45 Incher if it is i'm sure it can take on some hills.

Also what camera and lens did you use to take that pic??

lenny01 wrote: »
    my setup is a Loaded Dervish/ loaded dancer with Paris 180's and lime Big Zigs. Whats your setup?

44" Pintail - just ordered a Loaded Dervish - Paris 180's and In Heats.

• Advertisement

The loaded Dervish is a very good board but put some grip tape on the trucks for manuals and stuff.

lenny01, I have never measured mine...
    Canon 5D and Canon 15mm did that job. Not my lens, unfortunately.

lenny01, I have never measured mine...
    Canon 5D and Canon 15mm did that job. Not my lens, unfortunately.

the 5D is a great camera and some day i'll save up some money and buy a wide-angle lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

whats the name of that board on the left it looks so cool??

That's just a shlongboard, it was an old skateboard and I just re-drilled the trucks and wedged them so they turn better, I just use it for going to the shops in the rain etc.

162725_469447360854_521220854_6301816_865507_n.jpg

The rest are a Lush Bahari, Custom Clutch DoubleTap & Custom Longboard Larry Komodo.

S.

Did you get your dervish yet? and what do ya think of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

Hey,

I'm about to venture into the world of longboarding so i'm gonna buy a board within the next 2 months or so...

Basically just wondering if anyone can recommend a set up for a newbie, I was looking in a shop close to me that has some Lush Pintails, not sure exactly what model type, but they were going for 180 quid which seems reasonable enough from what i've seen so far.

I'm visiting New York at the end of the month and i was thinking of picking up a board over there if they were good quality at a reasonable price... I've seen those vids from Original Skateboards, and one of their Apex 37's seems very enticing!
    Does anyone here have an apex board or ever hear anythin about them?
    As i said im a beginner so it's fair to say i'm pretty clueless about board types.

I've seen flat boards and concave boards and i'm wondering whats the difference in the two? Is one more for popping jumps and the other for carving/sliding or what? I'd like a decent all rounder to start with i think...

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.
    BTW i'm located in limerick/galway at the minute so if any of ye fancy tutoring a beginner i'd be happy to meet up!

original longboards (boards) are okay but the trucks are SH|T and I think the only board you can switch from the original trucks to say Randals,Bears or Paris trucks is the new board that you were talking about the carbon apex 37. The question that pops into my mind is what are you looking for in a board A. Carving ability B. Functionality e.g.Tricks and stuff C. Speed. Or D. Style & Artwork (Turning heads and getting the lady's ;) ) they are the four thing i think people look for in a longboard. To answer your question about the difference between flat boards and concave boards is that flat boards are used mostly for cruising and dancing but concave boards on the other hand can do all that stuff the concave in the board helps you to lock your feet in when sliding on the board also some people complain about the concave on some boards saying that it hurts their feet after riding for a while but i think that's just riders bitchin.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

Cool thanks for help. what i'm looking for is number 1+2. Don't really give a fig about number 4 as i'll most likely be spending my time trying to avoid breaking my ass on the concrete :)

I guess i'll jus pick up an apex 37 in the states then!

• Advertisement

Cool you will enjoy it and get a helmet don't be stupid and do what i did.

Hiya,

I'm relatively new to Longboarding myself, I'm 37 and only got interested when a guy cruised past me on the street in Noosa, Australia 2 years ago.

Not having a blue clue about the 'finerys' of Longboarding I went for a board that looked the part and was cheep - ie a Mindless Hunter 44" pintail which i have to say was brilliant (€80)....but I had no basis for comparison.......until I got my dirty mits on the Dervish which lightened my wallet by €300. The Mindless isn't consigned to history and I have to say was, in my opinion a brilliant board for a total and utter novice. I used it for cruising, carving and downhill and everything I have learned ie the basics up to the more techinical stuff such as stand up sliding was done on that board.

There are few longboard places in Manhatten so you won't be stuck for a board and if you have the bread then **** it go for a more estbalished brand like Loaded or Original - for me the others pale into insignificance... but I've become a complete snob since the Dervish 'ruined' my life!!

I have heard differing stories about the Original trucks bewteen ****e and the greatest truck ever invented - I've never riden an Original but the truck springs don't do it for me.

Enjoy!

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hydroflyer

5278859130_63cc76f26e.jpg5278248891_d9e7fb813a_m.jpg5278254409_2a04373463.jpgphotostreamHey guys,

Great to see there is a good group of longboarders out there.
    Having done many board sports over the years I recently got into the fun of longboarding.
    Im not really sure what its all about, but for me I just enjoy cruising, getting some speed and its a great mode of transport to and from the pub:)
    I decided to make my own board this year. Im sure it is not the best board in the world, and you guys would probably hate riding it, but for me it has a bit of sentimental value and the feeling of riding down a hill and knowing that you made it with your own hands makes it that bit better.

Its a wooden board, I designed glued and shaped it in a similar way they do with surfboards. I put a set of Krux timber effect trucks on it, Bandit wheels and abec 7's.

Hope to bump into you guys.

photostream

Really nice boards!

Whats the facebook address fro the Longboard Dublin page - I can't access the link here as work has banned FB!

Slam

hydroflyer wrote: »
    5278859130_63cc76f26e.jpg5278248891_d9e7fb813a_m.jpg5278254409_2a04373463.jpgphotostreamHey guys,

Great to see there is a good group of longboarders out there.
    Having done many board sports over the years I recently got into the fun of longboarding.
    Im not really sure what its all about, but for me I just enjoy cruising, getting some speed and its a great mode of transport to and from the pub:)
    I decided to make my own board this year. Im sure it is not the best board in the world, and you guys would probably hate riding it, but for me it has a bit of sentimental value and the feeling of riding down a hill and knowing that you made it with your own hands makes it that bit better.

Its a wooden board, I designed glued and shaped it in a similar way they do with surfboards. I put a set of Krux timber effect trucks on it, Bandit wheels and abec 7's.

Hope to bump into you guys.

photostream
    Are you the guy on youtube that went longboarding down a hill off-road with tyre wheels on your board?????

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

hi guys, we gots a new catalog from Mindless recently, the new 2011 boards.

And they look well sweet.

the new Rengade:

1299683984Renegade-Proddy4.jpg

Wreather:
    1299775383Wreather-proddy1.jpg

Peche:
    1298559928product-galler-peche-graphic.jpg

hopefully, making their way onto our shelves soon

Really nice boards!

Whats the facebook address fro the Longboard Dublin page - I can't access the link here as work has banned FB!

Slam

Cheers man,

the address is http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=144789348888152

Built this rack yesterday with some old wood & bits & pieces... (left a space at the bottom for an incoming board....;))

photo-9.jpg

Sweet - Good work fella!

Slam

Anyone know why my bushings might be squeeking like crazy when I'm pumping - should I oil them?

Dervish
    paris
    Otangs

Slam

• Advertisement

NO! don't do that, it's not your bushings the squeaking is coming from the pivot cups. To fix it you just take off the hanger wipe it clean now look at your base plate you will see a black cup get some chain lube and just a small squirt of it in the pivot cup then put the hanger back on and "hey presto" no squeak. If you do not have chain lube don't cry, If you have a bar of soap just put some shavings in the pivot cup same result. Oh and no WD40 hope this helps.

Advertisement