Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longboarding (Skate)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Ahhhhhhh!!!

It's the funkiest noise I have ever come across - plus I feel like a dick when I cruise past anyone on what sounds like a oul lads rocking chair!

Thanks Lenny

Slam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Soap shavings work a treat!

Nice spot for sliding....

d9827037.jpg

Nice wan lads!

Soaped up the cups - peeeeefect. The thing is like a stealth bomber now.

It did come at the expense of my Bird's very costly (unbeknownst to me) Molton Brown Black Pepper and Gogui Berry soap though. so whilst it was free advice from you guys and a free solution to the problem it has actually ended up costing me €50 to replace the fookin' soap.

Please send me on your billings addresses and you can pony up a few quid each.

Ta

Salm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lenny01

€50 for soap? ........wow

Now that the sun is out are you guys learning any tricks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Looking to buy my first longboard soon but I'm completely clueless, could any one give me an idea of range and prices?

I'm coming from "regular" boards so I know I'm going to end up wanting to do tricks but I'm more so buying it just to cruise around on if that helps.
    I really like the idea of bombing hills.

Voodoo Doll I think is a good board for downhill and cruising.

[IMG][/img]tot.jpg

Anyone know if lossening the trucks on the Dervish has an adverse effect on the flex?

I recently loosened them way down - really loose - and whilst I can carve and turn on a penny the flex is all but gone rendering pumping impossible.

Might just tighten them back up - any thoughts?

Slam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

Any of you speed demons board in Limerick? I recently picked up an Apex 37 from the States and my mate has a longboard also, we're hunting slopes around UL campus the odd day. Any of ye have any ideas for increasing the flatline speed of a board? I've got pretty average trucks, wheels and bearings, I know investing in an upgrade would be the best option but right now I'm looking to make the best of what I've got... I heard WD40 wrecks your bearings too, anyone experience this?

Wish me luck in my hunt for the pumping technique...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

new mindless longboards arriving this friday into the shop. the Maverick DL and some other new releases too ;)

moncai wrote: »
    Any of you speed demons board in Limerick? I recently picked up an Apex 37 from the States and my mate has a longboard also, we're hunting slopes around UL campus the odd day. Any of ye have any ideas for increasing the flatline speed of a board? I've got pretty average trucks, wheels and bearings, I know investing in an upgrade would be the best option but right now I'm looking to make the best of what I've got... I heard WD40 wrecks your bearings too, anyone experience this?

Wish me luck in my hunt for the pumping technique...

Hiya,
    The Apex looks like a great board, I think they would sell themsleves as Original's answer to Loaded's Dervish. Can't comment further than that as I've never riden the Apex. Some of the lads on the forum here have heard mixed reviews about Originals trucks though.

On the Dervish I pump on flat land mostly around South Dublin - a bit of hill stuff on the pintail I use. For Flatland I'm on Paris 180's, Bones Red (speed cream is a must) and OTang in Heats - pumping is a sinch on this thing, it practically does it it self! I'd expect the same from the Apex which should make pumping easier??

There are tonnes of tutorials on the web about pumping but unless you find out for yourself and experience the sweet spot then you can't really learn it.

In terms of flatline speed, I feel, its all about the equipment you have. never underestimate the importance of your bearings and spacers and keeping them liguid - ie lubed up! The tightness of your trucks in relation to your boards flex response is critical (as I recently found out) and for me flex rsponse is a hugely importnat part of flatland pumping and speed generation.

In short - muck around and tweek with your set up and see what works.

Best of luck Boyo

Slam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Is there any chance of quick meet in south Dublin? I need some guidance what to do and what not to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I just saw a Longboard video on my friends Facebook!

It looks like so much fun, I think next weeks wages have found a new home :P

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

tonight is my first time on my longboard in 2 years, im hooked again, gonna go out and try learn some stuff again before i go to bed.

the last few days have been frickin awesome! HA :p what do you guys think about the mindless wreather? any info on trucks, deck and wheels?

Never ridden one, but looks like a fun starter freeride board! The wheels/trucks are easily upgraded down the line if you want to try new wheel types/sizes.

It's a drop though board so the deck is lower to the ground which makes it easier to push and also easier to make slide, also the deck is concaved which keeps your feet in place when sliding and free riding in general.

MindlessLongboardWreather2.JPG

One thing I would mention is that a friend had a Mindless deck and in cracked at both ends at the drop though mounts, he got a refund as he only had it a week, he is a pretty big guy, but that should not happen!

S.

he is a pretty big guy,
    S.

there is a weight limit on each specification of each complete. think its about 14st?

2 of the new models coming next week also

the Corsair and the Marauder. Then in a couple of weeks time the Renegade and Creeper will be available too.;)

wreckless wrote: »
    there is a weight limit on each specification of each complete. think its about 14st?

Nope, it's 20st (130kg) and he was not that big, that's why he got the refund.

Just out of interest, do you ride yourself? I've always wondered as you don't really talk much about yourself boarding, just advertising your shop in most posts?

S.

• Advertisement

my boarding day have passed. work, work and then more work is pretty much the story of my life im afraid. feck all free time and if i do get any, its either spent chillen or organising a wedding.

used to board, blade and bmx up till a couple of years ago. so now, unfortunately, its all shop.

are you a wedding planner..(stressful work with excited couples)
    if not then good luck with your wedding and CONGRATULATIONS! :D

Meet up this Sunday in Dublin for anyone interested....

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=221341474545352

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Strypsex

Hi, i just moved to Dublin yesterday. Although it has been raining since i came here, it let up a little this morning. So i went to Phoenix park and did some longboarding. There was quite alot of traffic so i had to stick to the smaller roads. And there was some steep hills that i saw, but they had railing, so if you don't know what you are doing it could turn ugly.

Anyone planning on going out somewhere to a good spot? Give me a shout ill join.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Hey guys, im a newbie looking to get into a bit of longboarding. Idealy id want a beginners board that is suited to a few slides and a bit of downhill (general all rounder is what im aiming at i suppose). Go to college in ul so might hit up the members here next semester but my homeplace is in the countryside in cork. Also does anyone ride backroads in the country side or are they just too rough ?

Thanks in advance,
    Peter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I was sick last week or so and not on FB. Any more cruises planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

You can ride quite rough roads with a fair bit of chip and loose crap if you have the right wheels get yourself some retros 85s i think they ll be pretty forgiving not good for sliding tho too grippy, but they re nice to begin with.

VNP wrote: »
    You can ride quite rough roads with a fair bit of chip and loose crap if you have the right wheels get yourself some retros 85s i think they ll be pretty forgiving not good for sliding tho too grippy, but they re nice to begin with.
    I have big zig's and they slide okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

Peter T wrote: »
    Hey guys, im a newbie looking to get into a bit of longboarding. Idealy id want a beginners board that is suited to a few slides and a bit of downhill (general all rounder is what im aiming at i suppose). Go to college in ul so might hit up the members here next semester but my homeplace is in the countryside in cork. Also does anyone ride backroads in the country side or are they just too rough ?

Thanks in advance,
    Peter.

Hey Peter,
    Dunno if you're around campus anymore or not but maybe when the next semester starts we can meet up with a few other longboarders around UL and bomb around campus or any hills we know of. Might get in touch with the UL Boarders six and set up a longboarding division... I know they organise skate runs as it is, so we'll see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jose21

hi longboard peeps...........ive been really obsessing over taking up longboarding just cause ive been playin around with my friends board around phoenix park and late night parking lot sesh..............and im currently saving up to buy a board....so i was just wonderin if any of yous are or know anyone selling their boards for a reasonable price (around 100 euros more or less, hopefully less :P..a good enough board for a begginer anyways... perfect for ALOT downhill/cruising) please get in touch with me...

also if you have loads of free time and would like to teach me the ropes of longboarding...like what decks/trucks/wheels are perfect for what...i would very much appreciate it....even just advice on what kind of board to get

i know im askin alot but im really really determined to get a board asap...so if you could help me out !!! :D

Advertisement