Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Étape Acte 1 advice

• 13-01-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hi, is anyone planning on doing the Etape? And if ye are have you decided on how you're going, whether it's a package or diy, bringing your own bike or renting out there.
    Just trying to finalise it myself and thinking of doing the most basic package for the couple of nights around the Etape and renting a bike out there, rather than the cost of transport and replacing the front chainrings on my own to make it alp proof :)
    Any tips or advice from any Etape veterans?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

I've visited the area of the Etape a few times, we tackled a few of the cols (Huez, Croix de Fer, Glandon, Madeleine) individually rather than in one go. we have a camper so brought our bikes with us.

I'd be dubious about the options for renting a good quality road bike; I did a quick search on google.fr for "location de velo" in Grenoble, Bourg d'Oisans and Modane Valfrjus and the results are not encouraging.

there are plenty of VTTs (MTBs) available but not much choice of road bikes.

These are some of the links I found, it might get you started anyway:

http://www.aucadrerouge.fr/

http://www.webrankinfo.com/annuaire/cat-1048-magasins-de-cycles.htm

http://www.velo-dayak.fr/

http://location-voiture.118000.fr/v_grenoble_38/c_location-de-velo-de-moto-et-de-scooter

Bon chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hi, is anyone planning on doing the Etape? And if ye are have you decided on how you're going, whether it's a package or diy, bringing your own bike or renting out there.
    Just trying to finalise it myself and thinking of doing the most basic package for the couple of nights around the Etape and renting a bike out there, rather than the cost of transport and replacing the front chainrings on my own to make it alp proof :)
    Any tips or advice from any Etape veterans?

I've never done the Etape, but my advise would be to train on the bike you intend using on the day. Renting a bike is a BAD idea.

If your current bike is not suitable...get one that is.

my 2cents anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

I've been there a couple of times and I'm booked through a package this year for the Etape. Renting a bike may not be easy since there will be alot of people like yourself planning to do the same. My advice is bring your own bike with you. It'll cost around 60 euro with Aerlingus return and at least you will have the config as you want it.
    I did that myself when I went over in 2007 and 2008.
    Regarding the climbs themselves, I've ridden 2 of them. The Col du Telegraphe and Alpe'dHuez. I drove over the Galibier and took the same route as the Etape for this year.
    Col Du Telegraphe: Starts off I felt hard enough. Mostly because I hadn't warmed up. Once you go under the bridge at the start you can see a large house up on the top. That's where you are going. It's a good road, a few bumps when I was there, but still heaven compared to the roads in Ireland. The climb keeps going but isn't that hard. When you get to a bout 1km from the top, the frees start to thin out and you get the most amazing view. Really was an enjoyable climb. Not so high so no problem with breathing etc.

Col du Gallibier: We drove over this. Mainly because of time. The initial start of the climb is a bit tough, but nothing too hard. Then there is a long drag along the valley. The closer you get to the real start of the climb, the rockier the terrain gets. With 8km to go there is a right turn and boy that's where the fun will begin. 8 - 10% fom there on to the top. Also at this point you will start to feel the altitube and people will start to get a bit zig zag on the road. My advice is stay in the inside of the road so you don't get pushed over the edge. No barrier and a long drop. The top was amazing. The views are once again amazing. To give you an idea of the altitude, I didn't climb the Galibier but when I got out the car I ran up to a higher view point and was panting hard by the time I got there Also it was cold. It WILL be tough. The long descent down the other side is great. However, it's also tough. More so on your hands and upper body. The longest descent I've done was in Tenerife last year at around 20km. It's harder than you think. The upper body was aching by the time I got down and my hands were in bits.
    It's more or less flat heading to bourg oisans but not completely.

Alpe d'Huez: It's nice and flat as you head to the base of the alpe. As you turn onto it, the road just turns upward and the first few bends are tough at around 10%. Something to watch out for is the gully on the side of the road heading up towards bend 21 (1st bend). It's deep and if you get a wheel in that, then it's game over. Stay more towards the middle of the road if you can. The bends as you probably know, cound you down to the top, and I found that the first 4 or 5 bends are the worst. Then it eases off a little to around 7 - 8% give or take until you get past the town of Huez around 4km from the top. When you get to bend 1 (last bend before the top) it ramps up again and reaches around 12% as you enter the town. This is a long straight and it almost caught me out the first time I rode it and I tried to push hard for a good finish, but when I looked up, there was still a long way to go. Again, enjoy the view from up here, the last few bends give a great view as you get to Alpe d'Huez. Once you enter the town, it's not over. The actual finish is still a bit further, but as you enter the town the road levels off and you get a chance to relax a few moments before the next climb up under the bridge. After that the road goes downhill and through and around a roundabout then it's the final straight uphill finish to the line.
    All in all, Alpe d'Huex is great. Can't wait to go back. But when I did this I was only riding 20km or so a day and was wrecked after it. So I've never completed all these climbs in one day. So that's going to be a real challenge.
    If you can do 100km on the flat in Ireland, it won't be enough to get you through this.
    Training: Start now if you haven't already. Burn off any excess fat since you don't want to carry that up there also. I've decided to go back racing this year to try and increase my fitness. Also enter the Wicklow 200, Mount Leinster Challenge (150km) and any other endurance events if you have time. Don't neglect training your upper body also. Back and Triceps are the most important. You'll thank me on the descent if you train them.
    Hope this helps.
    What are others doing regarding training for this and how will you manage the hydration on the day?

By the way I used a triple with a 12-27 rear cassette. The first year I had an 11-25 and was in the last gear all the way up the Alpe. The following year I changed to an 12-27 and managed to stay in out of the 27 for most of it exceot for the really hards parts. Also after the a long day over the other climbs, you may be happy to have this. They are not so expensive 50 euro give or take on average unless you want Dura-Ace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Interesting lalorm
    I've been off the bike for years, got back into it about three years ago.
    Have done W200 once and W100 twice, last years 100K was easy enough for me,a nd done the Mt Leinster 100 three times.
    I will do the Etape one year and want it to be Alpe d'Huez or Tourmalet...whats sort of regular traingin do you do to be able to manage an apline or Pyrennean climb, I mean 10K climbing at that gradient???:eek:

• Advertisement

I was off the bike for 15 years when I decided to get back in shape. I gave myself the goal of climbing Alpe d'Huez since it was something I had always wanted to do since a kid and cycling was the only sport I did or know how to get into again. I trained for 10 months on the bike and joined a gym to get me going. When I went to the Alpe, I wasn't in great shape, but I was able to TT Alpe d'Huez in 1hr:18min so I was happy with that for my first attempt. Since then I've kept training and joined a cycling club. The E'tape has given me a new goal and over the winter months I've been in the gym alot. I do weights twice a week and I'm lucky enough that the gym owner allows me to have my road bike a tacx trainer hooked up in a corner for me to use whenever I want. So I'm on that two times a week and at the weekend if the weather is bad. I intend to do more miles on the road again now. Usually 100km on a Saturday with the club. I've also sent off for my race licence this year as a way to get uber fit for the Etape. Unlike the Wicklow 200 etc, there's a time limit on the E'tape and I don't want to have to get into the broom wagon. Anyone know the time limits on the route this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

lalorm wrote: »
    ... and I'm lucky enough that the gym owner allows me to have my road bike a tacx trainer hooked up in a corner for me to use whenever I want..

Im doing letape this year, was just wondering when you personnally are training in the gym for lets say an hour or two, what average watts would you be putting out ? I was thinking steady but stiff cycling on a bike in the gym would be useful backup to road training, and as close as I can get to high resistance with a low cadence. I did an hour yesterday at an average of 200w (or at least thats what the machine thought - standard gym machine, nothing like a real bike !). I probably havent set the resistance nowhere near high enough, but steady as she goes, its only January.

The tacx gives an output on screen. I'm usually pushing out around 300watts on average, but I'd need to try it again and see. I did an interval training session last week and got up to around 1000watts. But I'll be training on it again tomorrow and I'll let you know how I get on. I'll climb alpe d'Huez and give you the info tomorrow. Hope I feel ok, just back from a leg session in the gym :D

I'm usually pushing out around 300watts on average, :D

interesting, if you churn out around 300w for an hour or so, assuming you and bike are around 90kg, i reckon that would mean in an ideal world you would do the Alpe d'huez tt in around 1h 15. Seems kinda neat to me as you mention above that you did it in 1h 18 previously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance

Did some interval training on the tacx today after a hard weights session yesterday for the legs so suffered a little today. Average watts at an easy pace at 27-32kph was around 150watts. When the climbs kicked at around 4-6% gradient, the watts increased to around 280-320 inorder to try and maintain the speed at around 25-28kph. During the intervals, I got up to 950watts.
    Legs are burning tonight after an interval session on hills over 5% avg. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'll be in neighbourhood for this and was thinking of renting a car and heading down to slag cheer on our guys doing it. I see there's a back road going up the Alpe d'Huez, would it sound reasonable to drive up this back road and get a spot to cheer or would I be forced to park absolutely no where near the place? Does anyone know when they close the road for the event? Or just what would be the best way to find a spot on the Alpe d'Huez?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'll be in neighbourhood for this and was thinking of renting a car and heading down to slag cheer on our guys doing it. I see there's a back road going up the Alpe d'Huez, would it sound reasonable to drive up this back road and get a spot to cheer or would I be forced to park absolutely no where near the place? Does anyone know when they close the road for the event? Or just what would be the best way to find a spot on the Alpe d'Huez?

Not sure when they will close the road for this. Sometime that morning I guess. The start time is 7am so the leaders will be there around lunch I guess. It might be best to not drive to Alpe d'Huez, but go to Vaujany. Park the car there and take the cablecar over to the alpe. It takes around 3 or 4 seperate cable cars to get there, but it doesn't take to long and the view is stunning. Or get to Alpe d'huez early!:)

to slag cheer on our guys doing it.

What a star man you are, a few pushes would help too. :)

... Average watts at an easy pace at 27-32kph was around 150watts. When the climbs kicked at around 4-6% gradient, the watts increased to around 280-320 inorder to try and maintain the speed at around 25-28kph. During the intervals, I got up to 950watts...
    :)

1 hour at an average of 208 watts (25k, about 70-80 rpm) last night (hoping the technogym machine is inaccurate on the low side). Knees were complaining a tiny bit when I upped the resistance to get the average higher, so brought it back down, even at this level I was pooped at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frant2

anyone know what time is the broomwagon vehicles finish the Modane Valfréjus to l’Alpe D’Huez route?

quote from the official website "Any competitors overtaken by the 'End of Race' vehicles at any point on the itinerary shall be excluded and must leave the race."

Im just trying to get an idea of what we need to do to stay ahead and finish.

merci

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

seve65 wrote: »
    What a star man you are, a few pushes would help too. :)

We're taking a day off in Bourgoin-Jailleu that day, so I was thinking it might be something fun for us to do, it's only an hour and a half drive to the Alpe d'Huez. Renting a small van is cheap and we could put the bikes in the back.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I'm after booking a 4 day trip with Cyclomundo
    Much cheaper than the Irish tours, might try and get a few days extra before or after as well. Looking forward to it now!

1 hour at an average of 208 watts (25k, about 70-80 rpm) last night (hoping the technogym machine is inaccurate on the low side). Knees were complaining a tiny bit when I upped the resistance to get the average higher, so brought it back down, even at this level I was pooped at the end.

1 hour at an average of 215 watts tonight, 24.5K, 75-80rpm. Getting tough now, ie. 40 minutes to go and already wanting to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Just doing spinning, med ball/kettlebell classes and weights at the moment. Back on the bike in the next couple of weeks

1 hour at an average of 229 watts tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement