Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favorite wine?

Options
  • 13-01-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

So we all like a tipple and our drinking habits have changed so what is our wine of choice and why and what country is it from? How much would you be prepared to pay for a bottle of wine?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

"Why do we never go out anymore?!?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The kind that goes on around here...always keeps me amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

red or white usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't drink wine much but anything white and dry is nice, just like me :).

From After Hours to Wine section

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

We do. To the Off License!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It depends on what the wine is for... some wines go well with different foods, others go well just on their own.

If it's just on it's own, I like a nice Dry Riesling, Chardonnay Semillion or a Barolla or Pinot Noir.

I'd usually spend upwards of €10 per bottle, but occasionally you can get a good deal on a few bottles for less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jay lad

Tesco do a real nice rose california wine only 4.99..how bad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

seipeal1 wrote: »
    So we all like a tipple and our drinking habits have changed so what is our wine of choice and why and what country is it from? How much would you be prepared to pay for a bottle of wine?

Chateau Margaux 1979 (personally the nicest wine I've tried) - Oh so silky. I'm always a little nervous opening up an old vintage on those special occasions as it's usually vinegar or total delight!

Generally don't buy wine here in Ireland, tend to stock up once a year over in France and that has me set, not just for the savings but also for the much larger selection available.

Would be a nice idea if you could get a wine club up and running, providing it's a non profit club, you could give a group of people access to a wide range of wines at very reasonable prices. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've been into the Chardonnay Semillion blend recently. My girlfriend loves Pinot Grigio, but some of them are disgusting to me.

I had a really nice wine about a year ago, Pierro LTC a Sauvignon Blanc Semillon with a "little touch of Chardonnay" and I really liked it - having problems finding it anywhere these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Currently drinking Shiraz that I brought back from the Barossa Valley, beautiful wine and really enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Is buckfast a wine? or just a way to get the garda to your house without using a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I like this 1221731225.png

and the pulenta estate Malbec is one of the best I have ever had. Its the "I" Malbec, not the la flor.
    200910221750170.pulenta_estate_vino.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Herself made me take this pic of a wine we had in London.
    She said it was one of the best wines she ever had.

53184.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love dry Reislings at the moment (at least I will in February:D) after this long dry month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Red - Munus (mainly Valpolicella)

White - most of the Pouilly Fumeé

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I can't say I know much about wine, but I've been drinking reds for the past few years and found 2006 to be a great year. Lately I've used that as my only criteria in choosing (apart from the "not Australian" rule) and it hasn't steered me wrong... til now, I fear.

Yesterday I was in Tesco searching for 2006s. Usually they're 12+euros these days -and I'd buy just the one, maybe two. So imagine my delight when I spotted Rioja 2006 from a brand I've tried before and liked (Vina Mara -Reserve) for 7.99euros!

I bought 4 bottles. ...I just opened one for the first time and I feel sick from the first sip. UGH!

It tastes really strong... strong in alcohol and too strong in flavour -almost vinegar-like.

This is not at all what it should be. I've never had a bad 2006 as I've said and I have had other Vina Mara Rioja before (other years, maybe even 2006) and they've all been nice.

I'm wondering if maybe something went wrong with this stock/ batch, hence the discount.

But what do I do? Try to drink this one? Return them all... and say what?? Open another to see if it's the same? Just keep them for cooking?

I was looking forward to this wine since yesterday. :((

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Gunther...we had a bottle and a half of that last night..

It needs a fair bit of air to taste good, I upend bottles into a cafetiere which seems to work well!

Also it needs to be at a good temp..

Try another bottle before you make up your mind. If the first one was dodgy teco will take it back no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

My favourites of all time so far are:
    1982 Ch. Cos D'Estournel, had it at xmas about 5 years ago...layers of flavour that went on for ever...took hours to drink it as each mouthfull was sublime.
    Also 1986 Ridge estate Cab sauv, had it in Venice 6 years ago...amazing stuff!

Currently I enjoy the Chianti riserva 2007 from lidl, needs a fair bit of air though.
    Our local carry out has Beringer Zinfinadel 2005(I think) on offer...nice when I remember to pick some up.

For whites I enjoy sancerre from Lidl..I also really liked the Mount pleasant Semillon on offer in tesco..although the wife didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

A nice Rioja. Any soft, mellow red.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

mikep wrote: »
    Gunther...we had a bottle and a half of that last night..

It needs a fair bit of air to taste good, I upend bottles into a cafetiere which seems to work well!

Also it needs to be at a good temp..

Try another bottle before you make up your mind. If the first one was dodgy teco will take it back no bother.

Thanks mikep. You could be right. After posting I noticed/ remembered it was kind of cold. I left it by the fire for a while and my wife had a couple of glasses (she liked it til I said it was awful).

I couldn't have anymore of it because I had a headache from the first swig. I'll definitely have to give more time to let the next one acclimatise before tasting.

...well, I mean I normally do open and leave for a half hour or so -and I did this in this case, but the utility room where they're kept was a bit colder than usual that night. Maybe an hour open in a normal-room-temp room is what's needed for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

My current favourite is Chateau Saint-Genes Bordeaux 2005 (€19.99 from O'Briens). 2005 was a great year for French wines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

My favourite white of all time is the Clearview Reserve Chardonnay from Hawke's Bay, NZ. The perfect blend of fruit, acid and oak year after year.

As for reds, for all the wine I've drunk over the years nothing sticks to my tastebuds quite as well as a decent Rioja, Contino for preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Lambrusco from Dunnes - 2.39

Prosecco form Lidls - 3.50/4.99

Yes I like cheap wine :p the more expensive the more it taste like vinegar to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

I love any Pinot Grigios. But I love trying white wines.
    Used to be into reds but it was staining my teeth!
    Would love some recommendations on new wines. At a budget! (€10 or under)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

yungwan wrote: »
    Would love some recommendations on new wines. At a budget! (€10 or under)

A great one is La Croisade reserve Cabernet Syrah - €8 in Superquinn.

Alternatively - La Cetto Petite Syrah - €10.75 in Mitchell and Son but I think they have it reduced to about €8 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

i always find liebfraumilch from aldi is delish!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 2blonde1988

does any any one know if anywhere deliveries alcohol after 12am??

Advertisement