Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agents

Options
  • 13-01-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

I am gob smacked on how ignorant and lazy the estate agents are treating potential customers. I have recently inquired (email through Daft) to an estate agent to see if their client who is selling from a new development would be interested in doing some type of rent to Buy Scheme.
    Now I know some people will say stay away from these type of schemes but that is not what this thread is about..
    We sent the request over a week ago and we have still heard nothing back at all...not a email to say that they received the query or a call....I really do think that these guys are just the type who like shooting fish in the barrel and will not go out of their way to try and do their proper Job which is selling...I myself am involved in Sales and never treat any Potential customer in this way no matter how big or small..

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of lazyness and Ignorance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes. Despite the sh1t state of the market, many unreturned emails and calls when just attempting to secure a viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

How did you word it, I know from putting ads on daft you get text speak emails and one sentence questions like "looks nice ring me".

Personally if you are serious why not ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Couldn't agree more.

As market conditions get harder, you would expect EAs to actually up their game and develop their sales skills. Instead, a lot of them appear to have adopted a snooty "hard-to-get" approach where they want potential buyers to "persue" them.

Either that or else they're just demoralised at the thought of actually having to work for their income and have given up.

Seems like a lot of them haven't come to terms with not being in 2006 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

Dymo wrote: »
    How did you word it, I know from putting ads on daft you get text speak emails and one sentence questions like "looks nice ring me".

Personally if you are serious why not ring them?

Of Course that is my next step...and when I do speak to them I will be asking why they did not reply...The message i sent them was pretty detailed....but if they dont want to be contacted via email then don't offer that option of communication......Email is a major part of my own sales work and others alike...Maybe they never learned how to use it when they were so busy over the last ten years!! Plenty of time for them to learn now..

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

A few weeks ago i sent an email to a house i was interested in, no response. Over the next couple of weeks the house was reduced by 250 euro and i sent another 2 emails and phoned. I was told someone would get back to me. I thought it was amazing that they're reducing it by that amount but yet completely ignoring potential tenants...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I couldn't agree more with you - I dont know why they give the option of contacting them via email (and giving your contact phone number) when the response you receive is 'please telephone us'! It's laziness

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

Just ring them.

You're worse for waiting a week for a reply. In that time you could have a deal done on the place but you're waiting around creating threads on boards about how they didn't reply to you

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

Ortiz wrote: »
    Just ring them.

You're worse for waiting a week for a reply. In that time you could have a deal done on the place but you're waiting around creating threads on boards about how they didn't reply to you

Is this not what Boards.ie is for? to discuss things? Oh and I have also gone elsewhere to find other properties already...way ahead of you there my friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It is very annoying, some can be good though. I've found the exact same with trying to purchase a car recently, no call backs, no helpfulness in general. But then you find a place with good customer service and deal with them instead. It's definitely hit and miss with those type of professions, which makes no sense really. Pure stupidity to be ignoring your potential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

Cheapo wrote: »
    Is this not what Boards.ie is for? to discuss things? Oh and I have also gone elsewhere to find other properties already...way ahead of you there my friend...

Good to hear it my friend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I am looking at buying a house at the moment and my experience of EA's has been very good.

I wanted to view a house at a 8 in the evening last week, it was the only time I was available and it was no problem, I also had a second viewing of the same house this morning. 8 o clock was the only time I was available, once again the EA accomodated me.

Fair play to him, its not many that would let you view a property at those timings.

In the "boom" my experiences of EA's were atrocious..........they actually put me off many properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Is this not what Boards.ie is for? to discuss things?

A lot of boards.ie is, but this forum seems mainly to be to here to moan about landlords, price of houses and complain about estate agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ciara o

benwavner
    What estate agents have you used, that you had a good experience with, because i'm looking for recommendations for a decent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

ciara o wrote: »
    benwavner
    What estate agents have you used, that you had a good experience with, because i'm looking for recommendations for a decent one.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I sold my house in west dublin in late Sept and I invited 3 estate agents in to pitch me (I worked in sales for over 15 years before babies arrived)
    I quizzed them on their sales experience, qualifications and methods and have to say was really surprised as to how little interest these sales people have in selling.
    Anyway, one of the estate agents was excellent, gave great advice and we sold the house in 6 weeks. Advised the lowest selling price of all three-but got the house sold!
    Of the two other agents, one didn;t bother contacting me either to see if he'd won the business (I'd also viewed a property through this agent-was very interested but never heard a 'peep' from him)
    The other just couldn;t hold my gaze when speaking to me-so def wouldn;t use him!
    Seems to me that there are agents that don;t/can't sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Duckjob wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

As market conditions get harder, you would expect EAs to actually up their game and develop their sales skills. Instead, a lot of them appear to have adopted a snooty "hard-to-get" approach where they want potential buyers to "persue" them.

Either that or else they're just demoralised at the thought of actually having to work for their income and have given up.

Seems like a lot of them haven't come to terms with not being in 2006 anymore.

Agree absolutely, well said
    ++1

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

May not be strictly an estate agent issue (may be vendor's issue)
    Emailed an EA to arrange viewing a property
    Got a prompt reply asking me to answer to number of questions before the vendor would permit a viewing (Do I own property, have I sold it, have I mortgage approval etc)
    Unbelievable- vendor should be biting the hand off anybody that expresses an interest in their property and EA should be advising them of same. The sales funnel is real. If you don't view then you won't buy.
    I replied to EA answering some of the questions and pointing out that the vendor attitude was very negative and gave me a poor perception of what dealing with both vendor and EA would be like.
    I won't be going to view, plenty of houses to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smurfet2

Hi,

I've been having an awful time with my estate agent. I completely agree with you, to say my estate agent is lazy is an understatment. I've been given the runaround now for many weeks. To top it all off, when I finally decided to pull out of a sale (because I could not take any more of their lies) I'm now having an awful time trying to get my deposit back.

I will never again go to a DNG auctioneers. Even when I complained to one of the head guys for the DNG group nothing was done. He now refuses to answer any of my calls or return my calls.:mad: I feel Im in limbo! Has anyone else had problems with them??

Count yourself lucky you didn't go ahead with the sale to be landed in my situation! :)

Does anyone know who I can complain to next? There is no way I'm letting them get away with their treatment and appalling attitude towards me and my partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I am gob smacked on how ignorant and lazy the estate agents are treating potential customers. I have recently inquired (email through Daft) to an estate agent to see if their client who is selling from a new development would be interested in doing some type of rent to Buy Scheme.
    Now I know some people will say stay away from these type of schemes but that is not what this thread is about..
    We sent the request over a week ago and we have still heard nothing back at all...not a email to say that they received the query or a call....I really do think that these guys are just the type who like shooting fish in the barrel and will not go out of their way to try and do their proper Job which is selling...I myself am involved in Sales and never treat any Potential customer in this way no matter how big or small..

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of lazyness and Ignorance?

Recently (about a month ago) I sent 6 emails (again through daft.ie) to various estate agents about properties they are advertising and got a reply from just one. Problem is I can't remember who they were.

I'm a cash buyer - but didn't state that in the email, I don't see the reason to say so yet. They certainly lack professionalism.

And one of them was advertising an apartment with an area size of 750 sq. meters.

Advertisement