Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording studio shoot C&C

• 13-01-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

Some of my friends are in the studio at the moment recording an EP, so I decided to call over and grab some pics they can hopefully use. Space was limited in there and it was quite dark so nearly everything was taken with my new flash which I'm woefully inexperienced with at this stage. It was a bit hit and miss but I still think I managed to get some good shots. These are the best of them.

1.1148490062_tQnUR-L.jpg

2.1148490182_Cgj5j-L.jpg

3.1155537996_FxvY2-L.jpg

4.1148490498_AbTvY-L.jpg

5. 1148490409_hKqac-L.jpg

The rest of them (12 more) are up here: http://cairanjackson.smugmug.com/Music/Lennon-Family-Project/15349778_xYgxp

So, opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

1.Not a great pic in my humble opinion, composition wise I think its un appealing , windowlene, ketchup and bread etc being in someone kitchen etc nah not what you want for a recording session. Monitor and half man arent great subjects in this context.

2. Best of the lot , tight crop would work better get rid of all that clutter, head/face not in focus though..

3. Not the worst in my opinion, reflection in the glasses distracting, over all a little dull , up exposure add bit of contrast .... would have been better if you got a better angle and had more light overall. Pont of focus appears to be on mic not on face.

4. Same as 2 lose the clutter. Could be sharper also depth of feild is a little shallow hence the lads head face etc isnt really in focus.

5. Subject too low in frame for me, Id want full hands myself and a little more exposure crop to take subject in and reduce clutter. As is ball is annoying, half empoty top part of frame annoying.

Sorry if I seem harsh I dont mean to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Trigger76 wrote: »
    1.Not a great pic in my humble opinion, composition wise I think its un appealing , windowlene, ketchup and bread etc being in someone kitchen etc nah not what you want for a recording session. Monitor and half man arent great subjects in this context.
    Its actually a dedicated studio :p Just food tends to get brought and left through out the day.

I actually quite like the first shots composition but agree the background really takes from it, I tried to desaturate some of the bits the stick out but it doesn't hide them. :/
    Trigger76 wrote: »
    Sorry if I seem harsh I dont mean to be.
    Its just what I was looking for, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

By way of being a little more helpful I thought Id pass this on , "Golden Ratio"

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=Photography+Golden+ratio

I received a pretty decent savaging myself and genuinely I found it useful early days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Wheres' the pic of the lava lamp! :p

I think photo studios generally aren't the most photogenic of places. They're pokey and cluttered at the best of times with booths, gobos, mic stands, instruments and performers. I do think they've some potential as a subject, but you might have to think laterally, and in the end of the day, if you're after pics of performing musicians, you're better off going to a gig with a nifty fifty.

I'd think about the following:

1. A long exposure of automated faders, possibly with fill flash to hold the initial movement in place - The more LEDs the better!
    2. Macro shot/close-up of the back of a valve amp, preferably one without the grille - I think valves themselves are quite industrial-looking and give off a healthy glow.
    3. Macro shot of a microphone grill - preferably a ribbon or large-diaphragm condensor. Again, these tend to be quite industrial looking and the lattice/mail pattern is something I find quite interesting. Ribbon mics themselves are quite iconic looking, to me anyway.
    4. Vocalist with cans on right up on the mic - This is the shot I was expecting, kinda surprised that it didn't feature. It's a bit 'Oasis', but it's another shot that's synonymous with the art of recording.
    5. The drummer mid-performance - this might be something you'd be better off shooting at a gig, but again, I think that flash with a slow shutter speed might convey a sense of movement. Maybe even just the kick beater would be a good subject - again, a slow shutter speed will convey a sense of movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

TelePaul wrote: »
    Wheres' the pic of the lava lamp! :p
    Its broken in the corner of the room :(

Probably should of went around the studio and taken some "arty" pics of the equipment but I was head just wasn't in that place at the time. Also the idea of crawing around on the floor, arse in the air, head stuck in an amp infront of your friends and some strangers is a little embarrassing :pac:

I wasn't allowed in the drum room with the drummer which is why theres not many pics of him and only the drummer was doing real takes in the time I was there so the performance stuff is only them doing a rough take.

I'm just full of excuses today :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement