Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question on Consumer rights I can't find the answer to

Options
  • 13-01-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a house 4 years ago in Limerick and I am problems with my doors. I have in the past been onto the developer on several occasions to fix the problem but they have since gone bust.

I got the name of the supplier and fitter of these doors, who when I rang him stated that he was owed money from the developer and his business was with them not me so he had no need to uphold his warranty.

He also told me that for another problem there would be no warranty anyway to tough luck.

If it turns out (and this is what I can't find the answer to) that he is required to come and fix the doors, then I believe he should have to fix both problems as it is 4 not 6 years since the house was bought by me and I do not feel it is unreasonable to expect doors to work correctly after 4 years.

Any help, or even a pointer in the right direction on this would be a big help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Check out about Homebond, I am not sure what they actually offer or cover but worth a call.

With regards to contacting the makers of the doors, they have no obligation to you directly as you didn't actually buy anything from them.

They might normally be accomodating but coupled with the fact that they probably have not even been paid for the doors they supplied .... they won't go near them

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

I was afraid of that. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Only reason I thought they might have to offer some form of a warranty was the company I (mistakingly) thought installed the doors were more than happy to come and fix the problem for free once they could verify they had installed them.

Homebond are painfully specific in what they cover. Even some types of water penetration are not covered by homebond. Something I have learned the hard way in the past.....

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Do you know who the architect that signed off on the houses

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donoghue_v_Stevenson

"his business was with them not me" - Exactly, non-payment is between him and the builder and it shouldn't affect your right to a decent product.

You might want a solicitor to phrase that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Donoghue & Stevenson is about duty of care in Tort. Consumer rights only vest in the person who has a contract with the supplier. Only if some damage is caused which is not a pure economic loss would the supplier be responsible.

Advertisement