Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to repaint a push bike?

Options
  • 13-01-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Got a gift of a bike of a mate who's emigrating but i think it looks mank,anyone got one repainted or sprayed before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you want it done professionally then ring the various bike shops and ask I think.
    You can check with the peeps in Cycling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Do it yourself. The bike was free, you can't do anything to decrease its value by messing it up, so tie it up hanging to a tree for handiness, get a can or two, paint away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Tape up the bits you wanna stay paint free such as chromed pieces, gears, sprockets, chain, tyres, saddle (use plastic bags too for the big bits obviously) and then spray away with a base coat (black or white depending on current colours and on final desired colour). Then put on your topcoat in what ever design you'd like, liberal applications of masking tape advised for lines and letters etc.

This would all be easier of course if you take the wheels etc. off and just tackle the frame.

Most important step 0 though is to clean and degrease the bike well as well as removing any stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Ya I agree with Enda.

20euro and a bit of elbow-grease is more than enough to get it sorted.

Get yourself some spray cans of your own colour choice (B&C paints in Ballybane Ind Est I've used when respraying alloy wheels), spray cans will give a better finish than painting yourself, give a few coats, and finish off when fully dry with a spray can of clear lacquer.

Job done, a new bike :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I saw a bicycle in eyre square recently and it was lime green in colour. All of it, tyres, rims, spokes, bolts, chain, bell, cables etc.
    Made me wonder was it dipped in a big bath of paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

remove as much of what you don't want painted as you can: the wheels, the chain, the seat, the handlebars.

Then clean everything up as best as you can, you'll need to use something pretty strong to cut through the grease and dirt.

Once you've done all that, tape up the gears and anything else you don't want painted like someone else said and spray paint away. I don't know the brands in Ireland but make sure you use something that's meant to bond to metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Once you have it cleaned don't forget to sand it just a quick rub so that the paint won't fly off it. There will be no need to prime it providing your not bringing it back to the metal. You can also get an aeresol that is a finished product in the motor factors using these will require no laquering they are acrylic based and you can get them the colour of any car you want

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Do you want it done up to look like new again? or just give it a coat or two so it doesn't look like you fished it out of the sea?

I have the tools here to take the bike apart..

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

There's a place down near Fisheries Field, across from the Cathedral, that would probably do it fairly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

thanks,fisheries field it will be i think,get service too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There is someone in the Skills-swap thread offering bike renovations if you have anything to offer.

Advertisement