Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstead building?

Options
  • 13-01-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Just when you think you've learnt your way around UCD this crops up! I'm doing Intro to Cognitive Science as my elective this semester and apparently lectures are held in the Newstead building... Considering I had no idea the building existed before now any help on Where it is and how to get there would be much appreciated!:D:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/campus%20map%20w.%20directions%20to%20newstead.pdf

its building no.7 on the above map. Located near the water tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You sure it's not in the NewMAN building?

Having Cog-Sci in a post grad engineering building wouldn't be overwhelmingly sensical tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sometimes there's such a squeeze on lecture room availability that they just have to go where there's one free. In my first couple of years I had some Engineering lectures in the Quinn building, Maths lectures in Newman, and Computer-related lectures in Health Sciences. There are also a lot of undergraduate Civil & Structural Engineering lectures in Newstead too - it's not a "postgraduate" building by any means. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Fad wrote: »

Having Cog-Sci in a post grad engineering building wouldn't be overwhelmingly sensical tbh.

3 years ago I had a history of Dublin module that had lectures one day in Newstead and the other day downstairs in the Eng building. We were a little out of place amongst all the heavy machinery and lads with hard hats walking around the place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Probably no other free room in UCD that fits in with the timetable. I've had lots of random lectures in random buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

No, it's definitely Newstead. So it's a postgrad Eng building then? Figures, I spent most of first year without a clue where Eng was so I'm just keeping with the theme then!:rolleyes:

As to lectures being EVERYWHERE I know all about that. Cog Science isn't the strangest I've had, it's a multidisciplinary module so nobody wants to take ownership of it. It's actually listed as a computer Sci module... I had neuroscience in arts last semester. Never heard so many lecturers say they couldn't remember the last time they'd been in a building, and genetics in Ag. Second semester last year I had Plants, fungi and environmental sci, Physical Chem, and Organic chem and chem Bio in Arts as well.

No, it's definitely Newstead. So it's a postgrad Eng building then? Figures, I spent most of first year without a clue where Eng was so I'm just keeping with the theme then!:rolleyes:

As to lectures being EVERYWHERE I know all about that. Cog Science isn't the strangest I've had, it's a multidisciplinary module so nobody wants to take ownership of it. It's actually listed as a computer Sci module... I had neuroscience in arts last semester. Never heard so many lecturers say they couldn't remember the last time they'd been in a building, and genetics in Ag. Second semester last year I had Plants, fungi and environmental sci, Physical Chem, and Organic chem and chem Bio in Arts as well.

Cog Sci lectures are done twice, once wherever you have it, and once in the CS building (I have it there).

The big science modules in ThL makes sense tbh, it's big enough to accomodate everyone? Something like that!

I'm in Newstead for both lecs at 10am. Think there's another offering at 11 or something along those lines...? Lucky me don't have to remember two different locations... Have enough of that already!;)
    I agree with the bigger science modules, though two weeks into the year Th. F could have happily taken attendence for most of them... :P Would have saved me the walk :o

I'm in Newstead for both lecs at 10am. Think there's another offering at 11 or something along those lines...? Lucky me don't have to remember two different locations... Have enough of that already!;)
    I agree with the bigger science modules, though two weeks into the year Th. F could have happily taken attendence for most of them... :P Would have saved me the walk :o

I just have to remember the one! B004 CS building >_>

One's at 11, one's at 12, simple!

It's nice to get out of the hub occasionally? ThL despite being nicer is only rivaled by ThA in science, the rest are just horrible!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I just have to remember the one! B004 CS building >_>

One's at 11, one's at 12, simple!

It's nice to get out of the hub occasionally? ThL despite being nicer is only rivaled by ThA in science, the rest are just horrible!

The seats are much more comfortable in the Arts Lecture Theatres than the Hub - having 5 back to back lectures on those hard wooden benches isn't pleasant :S

• Advertisement

The seats are much more comfortable in the Arts Lecture Theatres than the Hub - having 5 back to back lectures on those hard wooden benches isn't pleasant :S

Ah but Th.A is posh! They have cushions ;)
    Not in there at all this semester... *sigh...
    It is nice to get out of the hub every now and then, just not when I have to run from arts to Conway for a lab :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ah but Th.A is posh! They have cushions ;)
    Not in there at all this semester... *sigh...
    It is nice to get out of the hub every now and then, just not when I have to run from arts to Conway for a lab :eek:

I haven't been in ThA since Orientation. My timetable suggests that I have a module there this coming semester, so at least that's nice!

Hahaha before last semester we suspected they just kept it for orientation and module stream meetings... Had Biochem in there... didn't help me in passing the module but it's always nice to fail in comfort...:D

When I had orientation in there, I assumed that all the lecture theatres in the Science Hub were like that. How wrong I was :P - ThE, F, and B are quite different. :p

When I had orientation in there, I assumed that all the lecture theatres in the Science Hub were like that. How wrong I was :P - ThE, F, and B are quite different. :p

I'm streamed for pharmacology so I thought I lived in F last semester. I was wrong, having seen this semester's time table I can say I was only renting a room last semester!
    Double lects are the worst. Come out of them with a pain in your back and an even bigger pain in your... Well you get the idea!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

God bless Quinn and its cushioned, swivelly chairs. *sigh*

I can honestly say I've never set foot in the Quinn building in my life... Looks lovely from the outside, but then, Ag has it good in comparison to Science...:p

I'll be in Quinn for the first time this semester as well! The lecture theatres look so unusual in there, but good as they seem to be smaller - more like a classroom than a large lecture theatre (unless I was actually looking at classrooms :o). I smiled at the "Dunnes Stores Lecture Theatre" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Ive had a few lectures in Science and in Arts and it makes me so thankful for Quinn haha.

For those who haven't been in, all our chairs are like this baby

armless_fabric_task_office_hair.jpg

/smugness :)

@ Timbuk2 the building is mostly classrooms but there are 3 lecture halls. 1 of which is 2 classrooms that they just knocked down the middle wall. Most of our classes are in the small classrooms though.

Unfair! Med have them in all their classrooms too. For medical scientists we seem to spend very little time in their comfortable classrooms! :( Don't know what we scientists ever did to anyone... When you look around the campus we've obviously done something wrong though!

• Advertisement

Unfair! Med have them in all their classrooms too. For medical scientists we seem to spend very little time in their comfortable classrooms! :( Don't know what we scientists ever did to anyone... When you look around the campus we've obviously done something wrong though!

Wouldn't you be in the Health Sciences building? The first time I walked through that, in from the UCD Bowl side of the building, I thought I was walking into some posh hotel :O

And the library :eek:

Nope. Came in general science. Streamed pharmacology and physiology, so school of biomolecular and biomedical sciences, just without the perks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

bigred100 wrote: »

That's where my Algorithmic Problem Solving Tutorial was - the most comfortable chairs in the world. And you could lean back as far as you liked, and lock the chairs in the position with the perfect slant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Stupid newstead, friday mornings i have five straight hours hub-hub-newstead-newstead-engineering.

I need a bike

Sounds like fun. My Tuesdays consist of:

Newstead- Newman (Possible in ten minutes???) - Hub- hub- Conway for three straight hours if that makes you feel any better?

I love UCD and their nonsensical timetabling! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I know a girl working in timetabling/room allocation, believe me it is a very difficult job fitting everything in! Think about the logistical nightmare of organizing everything (including the nightmare of dealing with lecturers etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

I'm sorely tempted to not go to the lectures in Newstead and head to the ones in CSI instead seeing as I have nothing that hour anyway. Extra hour of sleep and less effort sounds good to me. ^_^

And agreed about the Active Learning Lab having the best chairs on campus. But I think they're just there to lure first year CS students into a false sense of security before they're hit with second year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Sounds like fun. My Tuesdays consist of:

Newstead- Newman (Possible in ten minutes???) - Hub- hub- Conway for three straight hours if that makes you feel any better?

newstead to newman is a comfortable 15min walk.

If you want to arrive sweating for your lecture you can do it in 10 min

• Advertisement

I'm sorely tempted to not go to the lectures in Newstead and head to the ones in CSI instead seeing as I have nothing that hour anyway. Extra hour of sleep and less effort sounds good to me. ^_^

And agreed about the Active Learning Lab having the best chairs on campus. But I think they're just there to lure first year CS students into a false sense of security before they're hit with second year. :D

Were you not given a choice? :O

I was!

Advertisement