Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pros and cons of Linux based hosting over Windows

• 13-01-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum.

I'm thinking of going with Register365 and I assume at some stage they will ask if I want Windows/ Linux based hosting.

I'm looking for some basic info on the pros and cons of a Linux based hosting package over a Windows based package. Other than the potential of a more stability with Linux and maybe some minimal cost savings (Probably not relevant to the package I'm thinking of) I can't see any other differences between the two.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Well....you're potentially starting a war here. :)

What do you intend doing with the box? Just website hosting? Anything fancy at all?

For me it would be an easy choice for these reasons:
    I know linux well
    Linux servers are very lightweight (you're not wasting any resources at all).
    Linux is built for convenient command line remote access from the ground up.
    Linux servers are generally very secure (obviously if you set up the root account with a ridiculous password that doesn't apply, but you get my meaning).

I wouldn't consider stability much of a factor myself. Windows has been pretty stable at an OS level since the NT kernel became the default back with windows 2000 IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

No wars please! I love each equally.

I'm going to be using this for hosting my own site and maybe the odd temporary site. I don't have any experience with Linux, and right now I don't have the time to learn anything about it.

As I will probably only be interacting with the server to update the odd html page or whatever, I wonder if it would make any difference whether it's Windows or Linux?

Thanks for the reply, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I'm going to be very boring and say that both are good. :)

Now, my experience in server management is very limited (read: zilch) but I don't think that there is too much difference between the two if you're not going to be doing any of the hands-on maintenance and configuration stuff. If all you're going to be doing is a bit of HTML I'd say you could choose either and be perfectly happy.

Just the opinion of an innocent bystander. :)

EDIT: To sum up, unless you're actually going to be interacting or working with the OS in any way then I really don't think it'll matter.

EDIT EDIT: If I understand the origin of your username correctly, the decision is a bit like choosing between Richard Richard and Eddie Hitler. There's not really that much between them. Which one is Windows and which one is Linux, I'll leave that for you to decide! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I've had my own hosting for around 8 years and its always been linux, i've no idea why or what difference it makes.

Does that help?!

EDIT: To sum up, unless you're actually going to be interacting or working with the OS in any way then I really don't think it'll matter.

This is really the type of info I was looking for. Thanks.
    EDIT EDIT: If I understand the origin of your username correctly, the decision is a bit like choosing between Richard Richard and Eddie Hitler. There's not really that much between them. Which one is Windows and which one is Linux, I'll leave that for you to decide! :D

Not quite. But thanks for the reminding me of that programme.

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Does that help?!

In a way! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I've had my own hosting for around 8 years and its always been linux, i've no idea why or what difference it makes.

Haha. Brilliant. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you were running server side scripting or other back end processing then you might be forced to run one or the other because of pricing of components or their availability.

On a slightly different note you might want to check if the hosting company charges more to provide a secure connection managing and uploading to the site. Some don't provide this on the entry level packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you want to use MS SQL and ASP.Net (or similar windows tech) then you'd need Windows. If you don't then I assume theres no reason for using Windows. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

You can run the majority or server side on windows

Linux is limited to mysql, php, ror etc

Depends really what you want to do with it.

From your end point of view, if you're asking these questions either should suit you.

If you're actually going to be managing the server then I'd suggest a windows box. If u can use windows xp you'll figure out server quicksmart.

Windows: asp, asp.net, php, mysql, ms SQL, postgresql, jsp

Linux: php, ror, jsp, mysql, postgresql and limited asp and asp.net

• Advertisement

I'm really quite new to all the back end stuff, so right now I'll probably be limited to some very basic php and mySQL - if even. From what most of you are saying it seems like it comes down to a coin toss given my needs.

Thanks all!

BTW, thanks for pointing that out Capt Midnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

For PHP and MySQL use Linux.

For .NET and MS SQL use Windows.

Sure you can use PHP with Windows but Linux hosting is usually a few euro cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I don't really think it is any more. Was looking at the blacknight and digiweb packages recently and they all seem the same

Advertisement