Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting hydrodare pipe

• 13-01-2011 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have an old house that doesn't appear to have a stopcock outside or else it's buried under a concrete path.

I've been told to dig a trench in the garden to find the mains water pipe (I have a rough idea where it comes into the house), cut the pipe and try fit a stopcock with the water flowing, then close the stopcock and reconnect the other end. The water comes into the house in a hydrodare pipe so I assume that's what I'll find in the garden.
    Does this sound reasonable?

What's the best and quickest way to cut the hydrodare pipe before I flood the garden or drown?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hamish262001

I used a hacksaw a small jnr one may be better

make sure you have the valve/stopcock open when fitting it on live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

try to get yourself a pair of pipe cutters, great for cutting good straight cuts, especially when the pipe is full of water,[Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Pipe cutters are the only option.
    Hacksaw will get you soaked.
    Have cutters, spanners and tap ready to go :Tap open:.
    Cut pipe and fit opened tap onto pipe with water flowing through.
    Tighten up with spanner then turn tap off.
    Cut pipe to length needed to fit into other side of tap and tighten up.

JOB DONE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Note of caution.

There is 2 grades of hydradare on the market. Heavy gague and light gague

Just incase you mess it up i would buy

1/2" 310 straight

3/4" 310 straight

2 sets of poly adaptors

This way you have the means to join it back.

Heavy gague hydradare uses 3/4" fittings to join it back.

If when you get to the mains its blue this will mean its metric in which case i would have something like philmac fittings on standby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

try to get yourself a pair of pipe cutters, great for cutting good straight cuts, especially when the pipe is full of water,[Embedded Image Removed]

+1 to the above.

Propper equipment allways means a propper and clean cut and a tight and clean seal/join.:)

Allways vital when working with and cutting pipes that carry gas or fluids.;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

1/2 inch mains water pipe T-eed off from house down to garage,installed inside larger diameter pipe,for a bit of extra reinforcement and protection.

The 2nd large pipe in the trench houses and also protects a 3 core 10 square SWA cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

A 1/2" 310 wont fit on hydrodare, it has to minimum 3/4" then depending on the guage with or without polyadaptors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Dig the hole and find the pipe. Then get you local plumber and he will do it in a matter of minutes. He will charge you less than it will cost you to buy the cutters, etc and you will not get soaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Garden loppers. The ones with a curved anvil and curved blade work so well you would think they were designed for the job. Just make sure you line up carefully for a good square cut. Goes through like a hot knife through butter, thanks to the leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 finnyj

Use a G clamp to clamp the main incoming line before you cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Or you could just wait until the next big freeze:::D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Hi, If you clean some of the pipe the size and guage is usually written on the outside. Repeats every meter.

Advertisement