Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bewleys Hotel Leopardstown - rip off or not?

Options
  • 13-01-2011 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I use this hotel quite a bit for business such as taking clients out for lunch or dinner. I also use it with my girlfriend for dinner and we get a huge amount of paper work done aswell.

Last night we had a mountain of work to so we decided to take their special offer and get a room for €55. What really got me was we had to pay €32 for carparking for the night. I complained to the extremly rude guy at the reception and he said thats the price sorry but we wont change it.

I spend quite a bit of money here and i am also a commercial director for a company and part of my role is booking hotels for my team when we have meetings or parties, most times i need to book 30-35 rooms plus conference rooms etc.We have always used Bewleys at the airport.

After this incident last night and the way the guy treated my i will never support them again.

Am i just being arkward or does anyone else agree that just to park in the hotel costs more than 40% of the room fee?

Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

€32 for car parking? That's madness!
    Should have parked in the Beacon Hotel and while your at it, stayed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Saruman wrote: »
    €32 for car parking? That's madness!
    Should have parked in the Beacon Hotel and while your at it, stayed there.

That's what i will do next time, i will never support them again and take all my personal and business money to Beacon. I just hate to see hotels charging so much for carparks when you are staying overnight with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

That's a ridiculous charge. Do the valet the car for you while it's there?

I would call and ask to speak to the General Manager.

If I were the manager, and was aware of your previous bookings, I would be apologising and offering you a refund and voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

According to their website it's €1 per hour or €8 overnight for Bewleys Leopardstown.
    Did you park 4 cars?

If not, somebody pulled a fast one on you!

CC

PS We use the Bewleys at the Airport quite a bit and have always found the parking excellent value there. They have a sliding scale, the longer you park the cheaper it gets.

According to their website it's €1 per hour or €8 overnight for Bewleys Leopardstown.
    Did you park 4 cars?

If not, somebody pulled a fast one on you!

CC

PS We use the Bewleys at the Airport quite a bit and have always found the parking excellent value there. They have a sliding scale, the longer you park the cheaper it gets.

We parked two cars but because we were there from the afternoon they hit us for day and night. As i said ive no problem paying for parking but i just feel its rubbish value here. Yes the airport is very decent and when i do group booking they charge just €5 for the two day and one night stay. But shag them they have lost it all now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus, when will Irish hotels cop on to themselves, i am bemused by these absurd special offers and packages most of which have hidden costs or requirements. Last year i availed of a three night stay and was essentially told on arrival i must eat in the hotel or i will be charged regardless. Most of these special offers usually involve reduced quality, service and most limited ****ty left over food menus.

As for the OP's point, a swift email or call to the Hotels GM is required but expect "we don't operate the car park excuse" is it any wonder Bewleys stroke Moran Hotels lost so much money last year!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AndyGarcia

Boards.ie will NEVER disappoint me. thank you for this Bungler. My wife and are booking a hotel in Dublin for 4 nights when she is home from work we WERE going to book Bewleys in leopardstown but after reading this i have contacted The Beacon hotel and they said they would not have any charges this crazy so we are going to book with them.

dilallio wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous charge. Do the valet the car for you while it's there?

I would call and ask to speak to the General Manager.

If I were the manager, and was aware of your previous bookings, I would be apologising and offering you a refund and voucher.

No way do they valet the car and if they did they'd want a grand for doin

AndyGarcia wrote: »
    Boards.ie will NEVER disappoint me. thank you for this Bungler. My wife and are booking a hotel in Dublin for 4 nights when she is home from work we WERE going to book Bewleys in leopardstown but after reading this i have contacted The Beacon hotel and they said they would not have any charges this crazy so we are going to book with them.

Good man.

The Beacon has free car parking. When you go in you get a ticket and there is a machine to pay but that is for visitors, restaurant users etc. Guests get their ticket punched so there is no charge as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AndyGarcia

Good man.

The Beacon has free car parking. When you go in you get a ticket and there is a machine to pay but that is for visitors, restaurant users etc. Guests get their ticket punched so there is no charge as far as I know.

Cheers Saruman, respect to Beacon for running their hotel properly and not charging guests and just had a look at their hotel on their website and to be honest it looks like its a much nicer hotel

mmmmmmm free parking

• Advertisement

Not sure what the rooms are like but the reception area is pretty cool and the restaurant was good when I ate there last, but that was a good few years ago now.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Good man.

Also if you aren't staying there but have a designated driver with you, or even just spend a bit over dinner they'll look after your ticket for you. I've found them to be generally good for customer service there. (with the usual occasional not so good experience that you get anywhere)
    Not sure what the rooms are like but the reception area is pretty cool and the restaurant was good when I ate there last, but that was a good few years ago now.

Rooms are a step up from Bewleys (as long as you like white!). Think it is a fair bit more expensive per room though. Probably works out the same with parking though, food is much better in Beacon, except for breakfast. Bewleys do a good fry.

When you drive in to the Beacon Car park, before you get to the Beacon area, there is a Red Ferrari. It's pretty cool but I guess whoever owns it cant afford to drive it as its always there.

When you drive in to the Beacon Car park, before you get to the Beacon area, there is a Red Ferrari. It's pretty cool but I guess whoever owns it cant afford to drive it as its always there.

dreamcars.ie/des cullen store all their cars there, so it's probably one of theirs. There are always their ferraris, astons, bentleys and porsches parked up there.

Nah this is on its own and parked in the same spot in what I think is the Apartment parking spaces. Someone owns it I reckon. Probably drives it at the weekend.

Nah this is on its own and parked in the same spot in what I think is the Apartment parking spaces. Someone owns it I reckon. Probably drives it at the weekend.

ah ok, presumed it had to be one of their ones, as pictured on boards:
    (although the bright red one here met with a sickening fate not long after the photo)
    AJ! wrote: »
    The Beacon…

Mercedes CL63 AMG

p1000187xc7.jpg

p1000188kw5.jpg

p1000186at0.jpg

Aston Martin Vanquish S

p1000167up7.jpg

p1000173ki9.jpg

Ferrari 575M Maranello

p1000175ox6.jpg

p1000171wc7.jpg

Ferrari 360 Modena

p1000170lt9.jpg

p1000174tz1.jpg

dsc01485hi9.jpg

Ferrari F430…lucky I got it in time!

dsc01555kz5.jpg

Guys, look at this...

bt000129412211fe1.jpg

exoticspotter.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Well it depends on how long you were there, i believe that the charge is €8 per night up to 12noon and then there is a charge per hour afterwards.

Yes its a pain that it can cost so much but i believe that its clearly stated.

how long were you parked there?

fwiw ive stayed there on numerous occasions and found them very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

bungler wrote: »
    What really got me was we had to pay €32 for carparking for the night. I complained to the extremly rude guy at the reception and he said thats the price sorry but we wont change it.

In the OP you were very selective with the information.

In reality you paid €16 to park a car from early afternoon through to late the next morning in a private car park that has its charges VERY clearly displayed at the entrance.

The fact that you had 2 cars, is neither here nor there.

€1 per hour & €8 overnight is sort of reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Why should parking be includedin any room rate?

If I don't drive to a hotel that I stay in, why should I subsidise the cost of the car park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I stay in Hotels in Ireland 6 or 7 times each year. The stay varies from 1 night to 5 nights. I have never had to pay for parking in ANY hotel. Some have pay parking for non-residents but they always validate parking for residents.

I don't know what kind of cheap dives you stay in! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

penexpers wrote: »
    Why should parking be includedin any room rate?

If I don't drive to a hotel that I stay in, why should I subsidise the cost of the car park?

Why should use of the Pool be included? Why should I subsidise people swimming when I don't? Why are some morning newpapers included in the room rate if they don't have the paper I read? Why have Tea and Coffee making facilities provided in the room if I don't drink either but must subsidise those who do? Then there's the body lotion in the bathroom which I never use...the trouser press is not used by many...all that satelite TV when I only watch the terrestrial channels...come on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

parking is a premium in the area which the hotel don't make a profi on. The hotel is well serviced by the air coach, luas and other public transport. The majority of guests don't use the car park. What would have been the charge If you didn't stay the night. How long where you in the car park for? You could argue with them that the over night charge should start at check in time and finish at check out time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Thanks OP for this. Read it just in time. Brother in law booked 5 rooms for work for meetings and I told him about the car charges. He has since cancelled as based on the OPs charges, 6 cars for the day and night would have cost around €100

Good to see hotels struggling in a recession alienating customers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

ted1 wrote: »
    parking is a premium in the area which the hotel don't make a profi on. The hotel is well serviced by the air coach, luas and other public transport. The majority of guests don't use the car park. What would have been the charge If you didn't stay the night. How long where you in the car park for? You could argue with them that the over night charge should start at check in time and finish at check out time.

I am sorry to disagree but i don't get this bizarre argument. Firstly how many customers realistically travel to any hotel by public transport. Secondly is it too much to expect a customer can park their vehicle at their hotel of choice without having to incur additional costs. The real crux of the problem here is Hotels competing at ridiculous rates and then trying to regain lost revenue from additional alleged services. Long gone are the days when a Hotel customer could expect Breakfast without additional charges and Parking charges are just another way of retaining margins. Its absurd to suggest the Hotel does not garner any profit from charging guests parking fee's.

I work in the sector and i am astonished how entire sector has diminished not only in its service but how it generates revenues. I can not understand why Hotels can not just have rates and additional charges upfront with a little more honesty. I doubt consumers are stupid and all these Low cost airline tactics only alienate and infuriate customers.

I spoke to someone else who encounter the same Car Parking charges at another Bewleys hotel, it would appear on the surface this is their Policy throughout the group, any wonder its parent company posted massive losses last year.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Jesus, when will Irish hotels cop on to themselves, i am bemused by these absurd special offers and packages most of which have hidden costs or requirements. Last year i availed of a three night stay and was essentially told on arrival i must eat in the hotel or i will be charged regardless. Most of these special offers usually involve reduced quality, service and most limited ****ty left over food menus.

It's not just hotels it's across the board, many businesses are still trying to keep their margins while also trying to remain competitive in their respective markets, few have realised that their quality of service must remain in tact and that unfortunately their profit margins must be reduced (within sustainable levels).

Shocking considering the business you've brought to them in the past OP, the least they could do is validate your car parking tickets imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

I stayed in Leopardstown just after christmas, checked in just after 3pm, car parking was €8 for the night. I found the staff there great, restaurant was deserted, food was good and very reasonable for the early bird. Don't know what happened to you OP, I would have been hopping mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

copacetic wrote: »
    dreamcars.ie/des cullen store all their cars there, so it's probably one of theirs. There are always their ferraris, astons, bentleys and porsches parked up there.

Don't think that Ferrari is owned by Des Cullen, I've used that car park several times in the past few years as I was visiting a guy in the consultants' clinic and have seen that Ferrari on many occasions, I think the owner lives in one of the apartments, they have designated slots in the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Write a letter to the General Manager and let him know about this charge, and how you feel about it. They can charge what they like, and if you don't complain, they will cotinue to charge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

OP How much did you expect to pay for the parking for two cars from afternoon one day until late morning the next day in an area of south Dublin where parking is at a premium?

Did you bring your complaint to the manager at the time explaining you role in bringing business to the hotel?

Is €55 not a very good rate for a hotel of this class and location and are the hotel not entitled to charge what they want for parking assuming the charges are well signposted which it appears they are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

veetwin wrote: »
    OP How much did you expect to pay for the parking for two cars from afternoon one day until late morning the next day in an area of south Dublin where parking is at a premium?

I'd be inclined to agree, particularly when you kicked off this thread by claiming that 'we had to pay €32 for carparking for the night' but you later admitted (on your third post) that (1) there was two cars and (2) you were parked for almost 24 hours i.e. from the afternoon of one day until the morning of the next - not just 'for the night' and you only admitted that there was more than one car when you were challenged by a poster.

Full disclosure of the facts in the first post please, otherwise you are asking us to join a lynch mob without having all the facts.

Advertisement