Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bewleys Hotel Leopardstown - rip off or not?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Thanks OP for this. Read it just in time. Brother in law booked 5 rooms for work for meetings and I told him about the car charges. He has since cancelled as based on the OPs charges, 6 cars for the day and night would have cost around €100

Good to see hotels struggling in a recession alienating customers

Delighted to see people also changing Hotel due to the carparking charges

coylemj wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree, particularly when you kicked off this thread by claiming that 'we had to pay €32 for carparking for the night' but you later admitted (on your third post) that (1) there was two cars and (2) you were parked for almost 24 hours i.e. from the afternoon of one day until the morning of the next - not just 'for the night' and you only admitted that there was more than one car when you were challenged by a poster.

Full disclosure of the facts in the first post please, otherwise you are asking us to join a lynch mob without having all the facts.

Lets not get carried away and think that Sandyford.Leopardstown is the most priemium part of south Dublin,plenty of places arouns this area are free parking so its not like Donnybrook and sandymount and South City Dublin that's €3.20 per hour.

I didnt just admit when i was pressed by a poster. The fact is i did have to hand over that €32 for parking none of what i said was untrue. I did ask for a lynching mob i was simply venting after receiving a Sh1te service from what i thought was a decent hotel.

On another note i emailed the manager of the hotel at 1.00pm On thursday 13/01/2011. She replied later that day at 5pm to apologise for the service and asked for me number to call me and discuss the matter more, I replied instantly to her and did not hear back from her that day which was fine. I expected to hear from her on Friday and at 3pm i rang to speak with her and the receptionist said she was having lunch and call me after, Never heard from her on Friday so i emailed her again with my number and asked when would she be calling me, no reply and no call on Saturday.

So here is a manager that has lost a large amount of booking from me and my company due to their bad servie and i now understand why teh staff are rude, they are obvioulsy watching how she does business.

What ever about the car park charges, i now want to ask do you feel the manager is being lazy or am i expecting to much for her to contact me?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

bungler wrote: »
    I didnt just admit when i was pressed by a poster.

Yes you did, in fact you even quoted this post (below) when you first told us that there was two cars, that was on your third post. You only admitted there was two cars when Cheshire Cat challenged you and you even quoted his post in your reply, how can you say you didn't just admit when pressed. When were you going to tell us there was more than one car?
    According to their website it's €1 per hour or €8 overnight for Bewleys Leopardstown.
    Did you park 4 cars?

If not, somebody pulled a fast one on you!

CC

PS We use the Bewleys at the Airport quite a bit and have always found the parking excellent value there. They have a sliding scale, the longer you park the cheaper it gets.

And on this point.....
    The fact is i did have to hand over that €32 for parking none of what i said was untrue.

I never said that what you said was untrue, what I said was that you didn't disclose all the facts, you told us that you paid 32 euros 'for the night' without telling us that there was two cars and you were parked not just 'for the night' but from the afternoon to the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What ever about the car park charges, i now want to ask do you feel the manager is being lazy or am i expecting to much for her to contact me?

I agree that is lax service and you have the right to expect better.

coylemj, You are right and i apologise. I did not outline very fact at the start and i understand from reading back that this did not give the full story so i apologise for this

• Advertisement

Was watching the match with one of the lads earlier today and we were talking about the manager not getting back to me and he saying that its unusual for a manager to take the piss the way she is and he suggested that i email her this thread and show her what was said. I thought this was a bit harsh or am i wrong what do you think of that if she doesnt contact me by tommorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Was watching the match with one of the lads earlier today and we were talking about the manager not getting back to me and he saying that its unusual for a manager to take the piss the way she is and he suggested that i email her this thread and show her what was said. I thought this was a bit harsh or am i wrong what do you think of that if she doesnt contact me by tommorrow?

To be blunt, the mangeress gives little of a **** and is perhaps more focussed on keeping her Job in the current climate!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    To be blunt, the mangeress gives little of a **** and is perhaps more focussed on keeping her Job in the current climate!

I can understand that,but ti look at the bigger picture. If her boss knew that the Bewleys group had lost a pretty good client that could possibly have stayed with them if the manager was quick enough to contact me, would she still have her job?

What if there is other people like myself who use the Bewleys group for all business events and have had the same service,surely some of them would stop using the hotel.

I can understand that,but ti look at the bigger picture. If her boss knew that the Bewleys group had lost a pretty good client that could possibly have stayed with them if the manager was quick enough to contact me, would she still have her job?

What if there is other people like myself who use the Bewleys group for all business events and have had the same service,surely some of them would stop using the hotel.

The Bewleys Group piles them high and sells them Cheap, much the same model as Ryanair, I sincerly doubt very much they will careless. I suspect they might even congratulate the manageress on Car Parking revenues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hey all,

I use this hotel quite a bit for business such as taking clients out for lunch or dinner. I also use it with my girlfriend for dinner and we get a huge amount of paper work done aswell.

Last night we had a mountain of work to so we decided to take their special offer and get a room for €55. What really got me was we had to pay €32 for carparking for the night. I complained to the extremly rude guy at the reception and he said thats the price sorry but we wont change it.

I spend quite a bit of money here and i am also a commercial director for a company and part of my role is booking hotels for my team when we have meetings or parties, most times i need to book 30-35 rooms plus conference rooms etc.We have always used Bewleys at the airport.

After this incident last night and the way the guy treated my i will never support them again.

Am i just being arkward or does anyone else agree that just to park in the hotel costs more than 40% of the room fee?

Cheers all

It's not a rip-off if it's stated what the charges. From what I understand the€32 included daytime and overnight parking? Most hotels are now making their money from the add ons or extras over and above the room rate - meals, drinks, facilities and parking.

If you are a major client you perhaps should have made that known by asking for a manager or just have paid it and talk to your regular hotel contact afterwards. I'm sure that he or she would make a concession to keep your business there. The guy at the desk is probably under pressure to generate revenue as well and probably doesn't have the authority to shift from the set rates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Thanks OP for this. Read it just in time. Brother in law booked 5 rooms for work for meetings and I told him about the car charges. He has since cancelled as based on the OPs charges, 6 cars for the day and night would have cost around €100

Good to see hotels struggling in a recession alienating customers

I reckon this is BS - did he book the Beacon instead?

Beacon is €115 room only best available rate + "free" carparking.
    Bewleys is €55 per night + €8 overnight car park.

Even those who don't have a grasp of math can see who offers the better value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Seems like a classic case of cutting off your news despite your face. People need to pick their battles. Is €8 day time parking a rip off? €8 for overnight isn't unreasonable either.

It seems that the over reaction of the OP means that over a trivial item he or she could move their business to a more expensive hotel and cost his/her employer more in the future.

I'm guessing that it is the rudeness was more the issue rather than the money. The OP is in a good negotiating position. I'm sure a chat with their account manager will smooth over the difficulties.

BrianD wrote: »
    Seems like a classic case of cutting off your news despite your face. People need to pick their battles. Is €8 day time parking a rip off? €8 for overnight isn't unreasonable either.

It seems that the over reaction of the OP means that over a trivial item he or she could move their business to a more expensive hotel and cost his/her employer more in the future.

I'm guessing that it is the rudeness was more the issue rather than the money. The OP is in a good negotiating position. I'm sure a chat with their account manager will smooth over the difficulties.

Yes i do agree that while i still disagree with charges being so high for two cars, the fact that i complained and got such sh1te service is probably what spurred me to start this thread and rant about it. I would still like to see hotels look after guests who are staying with them and give them a rate of say €5 per day or free like most other hotels.

I suppose if the staff had not been so rude and the manager actually contacted me back i might not have went on about it but the staff were rude and she still has not contacted me back, so that's probably why i am bitter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

91011 wrote: »
    I reckon this is BS - did he book the Beacon instead?

Beacon is €115 room only best available rate + "free" carparking.
    Bewleys is €55 per night + €8 overnight car park.

Even those who don't have a grasp of math can see who offers the better value!
    Yep total BS. I love wasting my time posting made up stories about hotels. My bro in law is thankfully the type of person who votes with their feet. As a business person himself, running a relatively small business, €100 extra for an over night is a lot of money.

He has apparently booked the maldron in tallaght now. No idea what he paid for that to be honest but I can only presume it's the same price or cheaper.

Yep total BS. I love wasting my time posting made up stories about hotels. My bro in law is thankfully the type of person who votes with their feet. As a business person himself, running a relatively small business, €100 extra for an over night is a lot of money.

He has apparently booked the maldron in tallaght now. No idea what he paid for that to be honest but I can only presume it's the same price or cheaper.

The Maldron in Tallaght? thats as cheap as it comes, did he bring his own bed and sheets for that matter?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    The Maldron in Tallaght? thats as cheap as it comes, did he bring his own bed and sheets for that matter?

Is that relevant?
    He is having a business meeting and an overnight for people working in different parts of the country, not a family leisure break.

If he didn't fancy paying €100 car park charges then that's his entitlement.

Just to update people.

The manager rang me this morning and said she was sorry but she got bogged down with problems over the weekend and that's why she was not in contact.

She confirmed that i should have only paid €8 per car making the total €16 and not the €32 i was charged. She explained that the guy on the desk was new and still learning and she apologised again.

She said she will refund €16 that should not have been charged to my card and send me out a token for the hassle. She also said she was calling a meeting today to explain to all staff how the carpark works.

Im pretty happy with the result and i am glad that she sis come back this morning and i didnt have to call her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

A result :D

Saruman wrote: »
    A result :D

Yep she did good, i sort of thought if i didnt hear from her this morning it was seriously bad form but she did ring me and dealt with me very well.
    Thanks for all your advice and opinions guys and gals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

did you tell her you had 2 cars??

ted1 wrote: »
    did you tell her you had 2 cars??

Yes i stated in my email that we had two cars and told her on the phone that we had two cars and she apologised for the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

The reason Bewelys charge to park there is because of the number of people who used to park their cars and hop on the AirCoach to the Airport.
    With the Luas now as well, it would be worse if they didn't have parking charges.
    It is expensive to park there but against that the charge for an overnight stay is cheap.
    I leave the car in Bewleys at the Airport when taking a plane and use their coach, always works well for me.

Advertisement