Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stew using shin of beef

Options
  • 13-01-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

When usuing shin of beef for stews, do you normally fry off the meat first?

considering it's meant to be cooked very slowly would you fry it off on a lower heat or?

My oven is on the blink so i'm cooking the stew on the gas ring if it matters

cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I toss the meat in seasoned flour and brown it in batches in some olive oil.

Then fry up your veg briefly.

Add your stock and simmer with a tight lid on,for about 3 hours. Gas mark 1-2

Remember..a stew boiled is a stew spoiled ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

brown it, hot and fast.

Very, very hot pan, 30-60 seconds each side and make sure you get around the sides too.

I'd recommend putting a little butchers twine around the man while stewing too, stops it from falling apart, not essential but makes it all a bit tidier.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The main reason for frying it off first is to get some carmelisation & flavour on the meat - not to cook it. I'd fry it off on a high heat just until the meat is coloured only, but not cooked through.

Be sure that when you do put the stew together that you don't let it boil. All it needs is a long gentle simmer. Best of luck with it. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Yeah, agreed, I sear my meat before stewing - there's this thing called the Maillard reaction (think the spelling's right), which is what happens when you brown the meat - it has to be brown, not grey - that's what adds the flavour. If you attempt to brown too much meat at a time, or do it on too low a heat, you won't get the reaction - and it really does make a difference to the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Agree with the posts above but I've come to the conclusion that if you flour the meat before browning, then you're really only browning the flour rather than the meat. If I want flour in the stew I just stir it into the pot with the meat and veg before adding the liquid (usually beer or wine for me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

The whole tossing the meat in four is just an easy way to give you a brown roux to slightly thicken your stew and give it a nice dark color along with your red wine reduction adding your flour after will lighten the color of the dish nothing wrong with it but its up to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Ive done it both ways depending on time constraints but to be honest have never really noticed much of a difference between browning it and not. But beef shin is my fav piece of meat for stewing and sooo cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Vego wrote: »
    adding your flour after will lighten the color of the dish nothing wrong with it but its up to yourself

Not if you cook it in the pot, stirring for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've a recipe at the bottom of this page

http://yespleasefood.com/old-recipes/

Advertisement