Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help

• 13-01-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Need some info regarding a few items I heard about recently.
    1> Does anybody have any info regarding the find in Wicklow where they found a set of "Pipes" and did they have any relation to the Ring Fort behind Knockrobin/Tinakilly.
    2> I am currently trying to find the remains of Oughterard village behind Newcastle/Lyons.
    3> Looked on Google maps and seem to have found Confey Castle, ie obvious earthworks but what is the small tower about 1 mile back towards Carton House direction.
    Any help would be appreciated as I have photographed many things locally and then been able to find out what they were.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

cfuserkildare with regard to the pipes from Wicklow, are you talking about the wooden pipes, thought to be part of a musical instrument? If so they were found in the trough of a fulacht fiadh in Charlesland, and the excavation was carried out by Margaret Gowan & Co. A google search for 'charlesland wooden pipes' will get you a few results. M. Gowans website is currently down but a phone call might get you some more info, I am pretty certain they were published but cannot think where...if it comes back to me I'll post the info.

Can't help on the other queries I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Cool,
    now can anybody tell me a little more about the local area around Athgoe / Oughterard as I am trying to find the location of the original village?
    I thought this would be more important to people since the cemetery holds a few notables and the location is of Mystical importance as well as being on the Dublin to Limerick road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 muckross

In regards to Co. Galway you would need to consult the Ordnance Survey Maps of the County. These are available at the Co. Librarians office at back of Galway Cathedral and next to Fas services office. They are also available at N.U.I.G or online!
    at the library they have lots of books and publications about Galway city & county both on microfiche and book form.
    The Archaeology department of N.U.I.G has a wonderful collection of academic books but one needs to be a student I believe.
    There is a book named Myth, Legend & Romance by D. O'hOigain which describes in detail every detail of myths and legends in Ireland. I think it may be available at Amazon.com! Hoping this helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

I think the OP was asking about Oughterard, Co. Kildare, not Oughterard, Co. Galway....

OP - this reference might be of use...

D.N. Hall, M. Hennessy & T. O'Keeffe (1985) ''Medieval settlement and agriculture at Oughterard and Castlewarden, Co. Kildare''. IRISH GEOGRAPHY, 18 :16-25

Thanks for that Deepsleeper, Yeah as a Photographer I have taken pics of the area over the last 2 years and a few local residents have mentioned the village bit no-one knows where ot stood. I know there are a couple of others maybe 2-3 miles S-SW but the actual village of Oughterard seems to be a bit of a mystery.
    Also, I looked at Google Maps and found a few features and okay people know about the ring-fort in Ashford but the feature behind Tinakilly/Knockrobin seems to be unknown. A second opinion might also be a good idea.
    Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Took a closer look at your original post and came up with the following ideas...

1. It seems the pipes were found in a fulacht fiadh in Charlesland (near Delgany I think) and so are unlikely to be directly related to a monument at Tinakilly/Knockrobin, but I don't know what the site there actually is so it is hard to say...

2. I'm not sure when the town stood originally, but my best guess would be between the Church & Round Tower complex and the castle a couple of hundred meters to the south of them - this stood in Oughterard townland in the mid-1800s but is now in Tuckmilltown townland (the castle didn't move, the boundary did ;))

3. The small tower between Confey Castle and Carton is named 'Knockmulrooney Tower' on the Ordnance Survey 6" map from the mid-1800s. Searching for this on Google, I found a ref. near the bottom of this page which suggests it was built in 1812 - http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Neighbourhood/chapter39.html

Thanks, I have more searching to do but Maps and Earth from Google have helped a lot in my search for Earthworks. I hope to unearth more information soon.
    Cheers.

Hi, I know this is a bit late but in relation to Oughterard village the village wouldnt sit on the road (Old Limerick Road), I am thinking north like the field behind the graveyard. Otherwise the road with houses wouldnt make sense to me.
    Thoughts on this are welcome.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Thanks for that Deepsleeper, Yeah as a Photographer I have taken pics of the area over the last 2 years and a few local residents have mentioned the village bit no-one knows where ot stood. I know there are a couple of others maybe 2-3 miles S-SW but the actual village of Oughterard seems to be a bit of a mystery.
    Also, I looked at Google Maps and found a few features and okay people know about the ring-fort in Ashford but the feature behind Tinakilly/Knockrobin seems to be unknown. A second opinion might also be a good idea.
    Thanks all.
    hi cufser. i live in charlesland and have a great interest in pre history what feature are you meaning behind tinakilly?and i havnt heard of the ring fort in ashford?have you been to the r.f up in rath michael shankill?

Hi, the enclosure is behind Knockrobin estate approximately 250 yards north east of the end of the estate co-ordinates on google maps are 52.993297,-6.059175 the fort in Ashford is near Kiltimon I think but I could be wrong as that info was 3rd hand.

The Knockrobin site was reported to the D.O.E. as there was no record of it on Archeology.ie and is currently waiting for a proper investigation.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement