Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

roast wrote: »
    You awknowledge it's not the fault of the agents, yet you scream at them over the phone? I think sir, you need a life or a hobby. Screaming at someone over the phone is not going to help any matter, and it's certainly not going to entice that person to try help you any further.

How relevant would it be for UPC's technical support to know anything about DSLAMs? They wouldn't be aware of what they are, as they are trained for supporting Cable products.

Ehm, wait a second here, let's thing:

I perfectly agree that the guys over the phone don't have any magic power to fix the line in one sec, but this doesn't mean that they can waste customer time not providing any kind of support.... I am working in tech support since 10 years circa, and let me say that one of the simplest and most efficient rules is to be honest with your customer, and don't tell them a lot of wishy washy things just to get rid of them and close your call.... They are the first point of contact when a UPC customer have problem, and as customer, you trust them in giving you help to resolve the issue.
    Now, I perfectly agree that screem to a customer service rappresentative is not the way to go, but in the end after all these calls, they got my nerves...

I should get an hobby... maybe you are right, but still here there is a principle involved, we are not talking about my personal life, but about a ISP customer support

Another point: I beleive An ISP support agent has to know what a DSLAM is!!! I don't know what is the training process of UPC, but when I was doing the same job for an italian ISP, I knew about the existance of a DSLAM, it was one of my first training.... maybe you are right that's not necessary any longer, but still if you provide support on something, you are at least supposed to know how it is called... they should know that there is something between my pc and the magic world of internet......

Have a nice one, bye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Gabriele wrote: »
    Another point: I beleive An ISP support agent has to know what a DSLAM is!!! I don't know what is the training process of UPC, but when I was doing the same job for an italian ISP, I knew about the existance of a DSLAM, it was one of my first training.... maybe you are right that's not necessary any longer, but still if you provide support on something, you are at least supposed to know how it is called... they should know that there is something between my pc and the magic world of internet......

UPC don't use dslams at all as it is a cable network so having knowledge of dslams is a bit pointless for the UPC support agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

bealtine wrote: »
    UPC don't use dslams at all as it is a cable network so having knowledge of dslams is a bit pointless for the UPC support agents.

Don't they use any multiplexing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Ehm, wait a second here, let's thing:

I perfectly agree that the guys over the phone don't have any magic power to fix the line in one sec, but this doesn't mean that they can waste customer time not providing any kind of support.... I am working in tech support since 10 years circa, and let me say that one of the simplest and most efficient rules is to be honest with your customer, and don't tell them a lot of wishy washy things just to get rid of them and close your call.... They are the first point of contact when a UPC customer have problem, and as customer, you trust them in giving you help to resolve the issue.
    Now, I perfectly agree that screem to a customer service rappresentative is not the way to go, but in the end after all these calls, they got my nerves...

I should get an hobby... maybe you are right, but still here there is a principle involved, we are not talking about my personal life, but about a ISP customer support

Have a nice one, bye

Holy crap. If you're working as a tech support agent, tell me what company you work for so I can avoid calling them...

DSLAM - got nothing to do with cable products. :rolleyes:

That's all I'm gonna say, I don't wanna stray off topic any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rpg

Have any solutions to replace this waste of space router come up over recent months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

rpg wrote: »
    Have any solutions to replace this waste of space router come up over recent months?

Last 2 mornings my unit has been disconnected in the morning, and came back at some point in the afternoon.

Rang tech support - they said they can see everyone else in the area is online, so its probably my router. Engineer calling out tomorrow.

In a moment of weakness however I upgraded to the 50 meg package, and the new Thomson router is arriving tomorrow too....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Two things

1. Has anyone managed to get an IPSec VPN built on this router. I have the option enabled and I then rebooted the router but if I click on Add New Tunnel, nothing happens.

2. Has anyone managed to set up Wireless Bridging ? I want to link another AP back to my core EPC2425 so that I can have a Lan connection upstairs while the EPC2425 is downstairs.

Thanks

C

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

This router is a ball of dirt :mad:

How do you do a hard reset? Keeps coming on and off now and can't log into it using an eternet cable either

Going to ring upc about a new one i think, only have it 2 weeks and loads of issues

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭blankguitarist

Sorry if it was asked already, don't have time to trawl through 33 pages and check, but is it possible to change the SSID name on my router? It's a Cisco EPC2425.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Rob C wrote: »
    OK....

I don't want to tempt fate now.

But I changed some settings after reading an Apple forum and changed the settings to WPA2-PSK and the encryption to AES only.

And the Channel to 1.

All my devices are Apple which I believe work best on N. I have not turned my Blackberry Wifi on in the past week.

Have not had a single drop off. It's weird, everything is flying. :confused:

Now, just to give an update since I made the above changes on the 25th July.

Not a single drop or disconnection since. Don't know why, but the changes made above have kept the signal constant and Speedtest is churning out the same speed readings the whole time and my connection is blazing fast.

It's all Apple, iPad, iMac and iPhone. Blackberry wireless has remained off, I don't need it.

The encryption setting changes, the channel set to 1 seem to have done the trick for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Ever since they swapped my Cisco modem into a Scietific Atlanta, I've never had connection problems. Everyone should swap, and buy a router for 40 quid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Don't they use any multiplexing?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line_Access_Multiplexer

Before you start you should do some research.

DSLAM is based on improving network speed over a telephony exchange.

UPC use fibre based connections terminating on coaxial copper.

Because of this multiplexing is not required, Fiber speed potential is potentially limitless (to the extent of the speed of light).

on the co-ax side of things, a single 6Mhz wide cable TV channel can be modulated using 64bit QAM modulation to achieve a max throughput of about 27Mbps.

again limiting the requirement for multiplexing.

But straight off the bat, Transmission speeds of coaxial cable as high as 10Gbps.

And, to be aware, the person you were on the phone to proably wasn't technical, but was reading from a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Sorry if it was asked already, don't have time to trawl through 33 pages and check, but is it possible to change the SSID name on my router? It's a Cisco EPC2425.
    YOu can change it, but the name always needs to be prefixed with UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mau_52

Tirtytree wrote: »
    HA! I have exact the same symptoms. The online light would not come up and if it does the internet isnt there. And with, say, 5 attempts it never did. I'm curious what exactly is the problem? As I understand a modem exchange won't solve the issue - in general?

Thanks.

Same problem here :-( Engineer will come on Wednesday to fix it! Don't know how... I will definately ask for a replacement (hopefully I will get the Atlanta) and get a Linksys E3000 for the wireless part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Pov06 wrote: »
    Ever since they swapped my Cisco modem into a Scietific Atlanta, I've never had connection problems. Everyone should swap, and buy a router for 40 quid :D

Everyone should ring upc that many times that they come out and give you a Scientific Atlanta and a Netgear router for free..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 otingocni

Rob C wrote: »
    Now, just to give an update since I made the above changes on the 25th July.

Not a single drop or disconnection since. Don't know why, but the changes made above have kept the signal constant and Speedtest is churning out the same speed readings the whole time and my connection is blazing fast.

It's all Apple, iPad, iMac and iPhone. Blackberry wireless has remained off, I don't need it.

The encryption setting changes, the channel set to 1 seem to have done the trick for whatever reason.

Thanks alot. I was tearing my hair off, even bought a high gain antenna which made no difference. This fix worked for me instantly - also using iphone and macbook pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

could anyone confirm or deny that he still have access to 192.168.100.1 setup page on Cisco EPC2425?

Firmware Name epc2425-ESIP-12-v202r12812-100729s_upc.bin
    Software Revision epc2425-ESIP-12-v202r12812-100729s_upc

i can ping both 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.100.1, but it seems that port 80 is no longer working at 192.168.100.1

had it set up as bridge with another router from linksys, today my internet connection went down (all green except 'online'), so i called upc, they asked me to hold reset for 15 seconds, that erased all my settings and turned cisco back to gateway+access point mode

it seems that i no longer can switch it back to bridge mode as this setting is only available when you log in to 192.168.100.1

ok, i went back a month and i see that bridge is no longer available...

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

Sparky wrote: »
    In relation to the UPC cisco modem not working in bridged mode, I have found a workaround.
    Seems that you can use the 192.168.100.1 IP of the router when it has just booted up

not working for me
    Sparky wrote: »
    If you navigate to
    Setup

|
    |

Advanced Settings
    ---- > IP Address Pass-through

You can enter the MAC address of your own router.

I thought this was not working as my own router (dd-wrt) had a 192.168.1.x IP. However after 5 minutes the WAN IP was assigned to the router.

May work in the long run. We'll see

that is not working either

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Icepickle

Just installed wireless via the EPC2425 & it allows me get the full use of my 30Mbps service however on a stream tv service I subscribe to for sports channels they are stuttering like crazy. Previously I was only getting 6Mbps on wired & had no issues with watching games. Any1 got any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭blankguitarist

YOu can change it, but the name always needs to be prefixed with UPC
    how do i go about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Icepickle wrote: »
    Just installed wireless via the EPC2425 & it allows me get the full use of my 30Mbps service however on a stream tv service I subscribe to for sports channels they are stuttering like crazy. Previously I was only getting 6Mbps on wired & had no issues with watching games. Any1 got any ideas??

Turn off the firewall and ip flood on your router..

If you have speed problems when using wi-fi (On EPC2425 Routers), do the following

1. In Wireless / Advanced, Set the 54g Network Mode to "only 11g" if you have G capable devices. Otherwise, if you have one single device running at B speed (11mb), the whole device will at this speed. So stick with G only where possible.

2. Download a copy of InSSIDer (search Google). You have to remember that when you link to your wi-fi, there will be other signals all around you and your PC and Router will be working to IGNORE them. Therefore, it is VERY IMPORTANT to pick a channel where the airwaves are as clear as possible. So run InSSIDer and see, within channels 1 thru 14 as to where the best space is and set your router manually for this channel. You'll find your channel setting in Wireless / Basic.

I can fairly much guarantee you that you'll see a big improvement.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Icepickle

Thanks for the replies. Don't have a speed issue as such but will try those suggestions. I was getting 20Mbps last night but the stream was choppy. I just thought that because I have changed the way I connect to the internet the wireless might not be talking correctly to the stream service.

Are the channels 1-14 in a line or a loop? i.e if I set it on 14 am I at the edge or right next to 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I got UPC broadband installed today and they gave me the standard EPC2425 modem. I have an Apple Time Machine (ATM) that I have been using as my router with Vodafone BB and it has always worked well. However, I am having trouble setting up UPC BB with the ATM. I can't even get onto the internet without using the ATM right now.

Does anyone else here have this setup at home? I'm curious what settings I need to enter on the 'Internet Settings' tab of the ATM setup. With Vodafone I had an account name and password but with UPC all I have is the SSID password printed on the bottom of the modem.

Should I set the UPC modem to be in bridging mode and disable the wireless?

I'm not very happy with UPC. They did tell me that it should all work straight away.

Icepickle wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Don't have a speed issue as such but will try those suggestions. I was getting 20Mbps last night but the stream was choppy. I just thought that because I have changed the way I connect to the internet the wireless might not be talking correctly to the stream service.

Are the channels 1-14 in a line or a loop? i.e if I set it on 14 am I at the edge or right next to 1?

Channel 13 might be the highest you can go. Channels are in line - a rising frequency scale.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ash_

Hey all, switched to upc recently and am having a small problem regarding the NAT type on my brother's xbox360. I have a ps3 and I've a wired connection with the epc2425 router and I'm getting nat type 2 with basic settings, which is fine. But when xbox360 is connected to the router (wired) with basic settings, it shows up as strict/moderate. My brother is having difficult getting into online game lobbies.

Was previously with Vodafone and used their username and password and connected through PPoE option on consoles. Both consoles had NAT open.

Is there any settings like that for upc ? Or setting up port forwarding or static ip address on the consoles will help ? I did a quick search on this thread and couldn't find any solution, if I've missed it, please post it ...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Ash_ wrote: »
    Hey all, switched to upc recently and am having a small problem regarding the NAT type on my brother's xbox360. I have a ps3 and I've a wired connection with the epc2425 router and I'm getting nat type 2 with basic settings, which is fine. But when xbox360 is connected to the router (wired) with basic settings, it shows up as strict/moderate. My brother is having difficult getting into online game lobbies.

Was previously with Vodafone and used their username and password and connected through PPoE option on consoles. Both consoles had NAT open.

Is there any settings like that for upc ? Or setting up port forwarding or static ip address on the consoles will help ? I did a quick search on this thread and couldn't find any solution, if I've missed it, please post it ...

Thanks

I use the Thompson Modem, but Try this tutorial from the 360 section, Worked a treat for me.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056029020

• Registered Users Posts: 27 skipdeedy

I've had three Cisco EP2524s crash and permanently freeze up the last month before I figured out the reason (UPC techie couldn't and just kept replacing the unit) was that if you put it into 'Bridge Mode' it will die.

A force reset and you've got 20 seconds to change it back to routing before it freezes up again.

I have tech support calling me tomorrow. I think this may be an issue mentioned on here before?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

bricks wrote: »
    Either on purpose or by accident its been killed. I've tried everything it just won't pick up a WAN ip when its in bridge mode.
    Probably not much chance of anyone from UPC confirming if this is a permanent change or if its just a mistake.
    Same here, very annoying.

The "IP Address Pass-through" method works for me.

Now I have to figure out what IP Address Pass-through means and whether I've opened a huge security hole :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the Cisco EPC2425 modem with a Revo iBlik Internet Radio, an iMac and a Win7 laptop. Up to a few weeks ago the modem would reset the Wi-Fi 'New Channel' setting to 'Auto' on a restart and on the next restart the 'Current Channel' would get set to '1' even though I want to use Channel 6 as none of my devices will connect on Channel 1.

I have run inSSIDer and my problem has nothing to do with congestion, channel 6 is actually the most congested channel in my estate but none of my devices will use Channel 1 which is the least congested channel.

In the past couple of weeks the modem started to respect my 'New Channel' setting of '6' as a 'stickie' so the device stayed permanently on channel 6 despite multiple manual restarts and power off and on. I assumed this was as a result of a firmware upgrade as it happened out of the blue.

However as of today things have gone back to the previous situation i.e. if the box does two restarts the Wi-Fi channel gets set to '1' at which stage I have to connect the laptop to the modem with an Ethernet cable to change the 'New Channel' back to '6' in order to get my wireless devices connected.

Did anyone else spot this and if so, is there any explanation why they have reversed out this correction to an annoying problem?

Advertisement