Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

My stereo (downstairs) is connected by wifi to my UPC router, which is upstairs.

Radio reception is good, particularly on stations such as AVRO Klassik which broadcast on 320k.

On the opposite side of the room to the stereo, I have a socket panel with FM & Cable points. I don't want to move the stereo to that side of the room.

So, short of running a cable from the socket across the room, is there anyway I can make use of these points to improve my signal?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Hi all

I have my UPC Cisco EPC2425 with the normal IP of 192.168.1.1 /24. I want to run another router for controlling my wireless devices inside this network so I have setup my second router off one of the EPC2425 Lan ports, on 192.168.1.101. The Wireless network is using 192.168.2.0 /24 (GW 192.168.2.1).

I added a static route to the EPC2425 of 192.168.2.0 /24 via 192.168.1.101. However, when I do a Tracert to it, it still routes out over the Wan and will not pick up the static route that I added.

Has anyone managed to get static routes working on the EPC2425 ? I tried a different RFC 1918 range 172.16 for my wireless network but again, it still hit the Internet for it's first hop when I did a tracert.

I connected a PC onto the 192.168.1.0 network and added the same route 192.168.2.0 /24 via 192.168.1.101 and it worked perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bombadilio

Got UPC in a few months ago (EPC2425) and till sunday it was great.

connected the laptop to the modem via ethernet and logged in to the modem to find that it had been completely reset, so i put my custom WPA key and and all worked fine, for a few hours, wireless dropped out and had to reboot modem.

that was fine till last night, got in from work and no wireless, restarted modem again and came back up, then it kept dropping out every hour or so but came back itself after a few mins. woke up thismorn and noticed that my blackberry was not connected to wifi, came into living room and no net at all, connected ethernet and noticed the modem again had reset itself to factory settings.

Called UPC for the second time (i called them lastnight too) and was asked to factory reset the modem, when i questioned them on how the hell this can fix an issue where the modem is doing the same they immediately offered to send someone out to have a look.

So they say that someone will be out thursday morning and that they can not get anyone sooner, think i may be making some serious noise for UPC if this keeps going on, not impressed at all seeing as ive taken time off this week and really need my home broadband to be working

Has anyone figured out how to make this work with a blackberry? We have 3 blackberries, 2 laptops, 2 ipads and whenever a wireless device like an iphone or blackberry connects to the router. It shuts down as it is not able to deal with the wireless device. What can I do. It is really a pain to go up the stairs disconnect the power from the router then reconnect the router literally EVERY 8 Minutes. Yes I am serious with the timing. The only devices the Router seems to be able to handle is a laptop.... nothing else.

Whenever the blackberry connects after 8 minutes the Router freezes and hangs and you need to manually turn it off then on. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Sparky wrote: »
    In relation to the UPC cisco modem not working in bridged mode, I have found a workaround.
    Seems that you can use the 192.168.100.1 IP of the router when it has just booted up

If you navigate to
    Setup

|
    |

Advanced Settings
    ---- > IP Address Pass-through

You can enter the MAC address of your own router.

I thought this was not working as my own router (dd-wrt) had a 192.168.1.x IP. However after 5 minutes the WAN IP was assigned to the router.

May work in the long run. We'll see

I'm doing the very same thing but seem to have a routing or NATing issue. I'm using a router which runs OpenWrt. I have setup my Lan with a 10.1.1.0 /24 network to stay clear of UPC's 192.168.1 (and 100) .0 networks. My OpenWrt is assigned a public IP which I can ping from a Laptop on my 10.1.1.0 network but I cannot ping anything out on the internet. From within the router (in Diagnostics), I can reach anything I like. Does anyone know how to setup the firewall section correctly since I'm sure this must be where my problem lies ?

C

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Straight out of the box this router/wifi has been a disaster.
    I bought the bundle offer TV/Phone and Broadband internet last week. It arrived on Friday (16-Sept-2011) morning and I set it up as per the instructions. The TV is working fine, there was no phone in the package, no problem, apparently they are sending a handset later.

The problem is the router doesn't connect to the internet. I have read this entire thread and have tired everything bar bridging...which probably should have a thread of its own, .

Anyhoo, I have called customer care, who advised me to ring 'self install' customer care..that's the 1800 number. The guy there is very nice but has no idea what a router is, he couldn't understand why I could access my routers GUI but I could not load a web page. This service is delivered by non technical people reading from a script....enough said.

I am now waiting for "the premium service" crew member to contact me. I was told I would get a call within the hour. 7 hours later still no call.

I'll post back after I talk to the tech guy, and if I get it going I'll post my settings.

I'll consider bridging it if all else fails.

All the best,
    GD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

gerardduff wrote: »
    I bought the bundle offer TV/Phone and Broadband internet last week. It arrived on Friday (16-Sept-2011) morning and I set it up as per the instructions. The TV is working fine, there was no phone in the package, no problem, apparently they are sending a handset later.

The problem is the router doesn't connect to the internet. I have read this entire thread and have tired everything bar bridging...which probably should have a thread of its own, .

Anyhoo, I have called customer care, who advised me to ring 'self install' customer care..that's the 1800 number. The guy there is very nice but has no idea what a router is, he couldn't understand why I could access my routers GUI but I could not load a web page. This service is delivered by non technical people reading from a script....enough said.

I am now waiting for "the premium service" crew member to contact me. I was told I would get a call within the hour. 7 hours later still no call.

I'll post back after I talk to the tech guy, and if I get it going I'll post my settings.

All the best,
    GD

Can you ping a website or an IP (eg. 8.8.8.8)
    What lights appearing on the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

All the best,
    GD

Same happened when mine arrived, I had no connection. called tech and apparently the wires outside needed to be replaced.
    or your modems mac address may not be registered for use as of yet.

roast wrote: »
    Can you ping a website or an IP (eg. 8.8.8.8)
    What lights appearing on the modem?

Pinging is timing out/hanging
    The lights on are the first 5 (I have a ethernet cable in the fifth) the some more on the right...7 lights on in total

mark17j wrote: »
    Same happened when mine arrived, I had no connection. called tech and apparently the wires outside needed to be replaced.
    or your modems mac address may not be registered for use as of yet.
    The first number I rang about this problem was 1908 and they said they could see the modem working on their screen...so I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Upc cisco router access
    Hi I need to get into my UPC cisco router setup I got to the login screen and it asks for user/password thought default was blank so just pressed login didnt work
    Tried resetting router made no difference still asking for user/password

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Just leave them blank and you will be sent to the 'change your password page' of the GUI. Then change the password to whatever you want...no need for a username.
    And that's prolly the 10th time this info has been given in this thread...so sorry everyone about that.

Just leave them blank and you will be sent to the 'change your password page' of the GUI. Then change the password to whatever you want...no need for a username.
    And that's prolly the 10th time this info has been given in this thread...so sorry everyone about that.

Well as I said I left them blank and wasnt sent to "change your password page" thats my problem I did actually read the forums before I posted.
    Maybe its because i tried on a ipad I will try pc later so...

Edit.....I tried clicking advanced on the top wouldnt work but I see advanced options in the setup screen too so it works that way too

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Well as I said I left them blank and wasnt sent to "change your password page" thats my problem I did actually read the forums before I posted.
    Maybe its because i tried on a ipad I will try pc later so...
    Right, sorry...I read your post wrongly. Yeah, it probably is Safari, I think I tried to browse to the router with safari and had problems. Firefox works fine.

Yes problem was the ipad the change password comes up now so I set a password :) but now when i log in I left username blank and used my new password and it dosnt work :mad: :confused: any ideas?

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Yes problem was the ipad the change password comes up now so I set a password :) but now when i log in I left username blank and used my new password and it dosnt work :mad: :confused: any ideas?
    When you changed the password....did you also confirm the change? You need to enter the new password twice. Does your system remember new passwords even if they are not confirmed? If so it may write - what it thinks is - the new password to the box provided...so watch out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

How are you all doing lads. I have somewhat of an issue in that I can't actually stay connected to the EPC2425 router.

Both wireless and wired connections are showing up as "No Internet Access" and I can't even get on to the router homepage despite being connected as far as the router.

So far I've been talking to UPC support who got me to change the router channel and after exhausting every possible test passed me through to second tier support who "had a look into my router, seen that I was connected and decided to close the issue without giving me a callback". I have small moments of connectivity anywhere between 2-20 minutes.

It's driving me round the bend because I require the internet for educational purposes and can't even go so far as doing a simple google search because it shows up as no internet.

Any ideas?

Could be a low signal problem, check ur modem stats (System tab in modem) What's your "Receive power level" "Transmit power levels" Signal to noise Radio etc? From reading here lots of people are having connection drops lately.. it's UPC's side, keep at them!!!

Any ideas?
    Maybe there are people here with a better idea than me, I've only been reading about this router for a couple of days which includes testing various settings.

It could be the channel you are on is not optimal. There are 13 to choose from (under wireless->*) replace * with basic or security...
    The default setting is 'Auto' which usually chooses channel '1', you can turn off 'Auto' by selecting '1' manually. Channels 6 and 11 have been suggested here aswell as 1.

Another thing you could try is changing to WEP in the security settings. I suggest this as it means you have no 'lease' time (default lease is 3600) which I believe is minutes.

Other people have suggested keeping WPA (AES) but not both AES and TKIP and extending the lease to all 9's (99999999) which subsequently changes to -1 (and I presume is then ignored by the router)

Other than that I have no clue.

There are instructions for enabling WEP on the UPC web****e.
    It involves disabling WPA and then scrolling down to WEP and enabling that.

When you changed the password....did you also confirm the change? You need to enter the new password twice. Does your system remember new passwords even if they are not confirmed? If so it may write - what it thinks is - the new password to the box provided...so watch out for that.

I got it sorted clicked advanced on menu at the top woulnt work but you can access to advanced in setup option too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shane L

Just got UPC yesterday with this router thats so infamous :pac: I'm no techie unfortunately.....anyway my problem is there is 3 labtops in the house that I want connected...2 will only work when plugged in by the ethernet and 1 will only work with both wireless and ethernet. Randomly my own labtop stopped working through the ethernet and troubleshoot is unable to diagnose the problem :rolleyes: this is rather annoying so any help would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement

It could be the channel you are on is not optimal. There are 13 to choose from (under wireless->*) replace *
    Channel 2 seems to work best for me on this router.

Shane L wrote: »
    J......any help would be much appreciated!
    Sounds like your problem is with wireless settings on the computers, you need to go to the 'control panel' and 'Network Places' if you are running a windows box (Windows 7 or other junk). There is a guide to the correct settings on the UPC websh!te. Maybe get someone/friend to change the settings for you, I'd guess you might be configured to connect through a proxy, so watch out for that, and turn it off it you are...or try another browser...Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, for example.

I've just arrived home and am posting this via my UPC connection which is working, for the first time, and with the default settings!

Channel=Auto (1); Security = WAP (AES+TKIP).

Doesn't seem to care what browser it uses.
    Here are the results of 2 Speed tests for a 25Mb in Dublin 8

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1495320687.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1495321710.png

I'm expecting a UPC 'engineer' tomorrow morning so I guess I'll be offering him/her a quick coffee as they'll hopefully have nothing to do here.
    I have no idea what was wrong with my connection over the last 5 days...

Maybe the MAC address was not registered, as suggested by one reply?
    If that's the case, why don't they just tell you not to plug the damn thing until it's registered, or better again, don't deliver until everything is registered. The engineer person is supposed to have my phone with them when they call tomorrow...between 9-13.00.

Maybe the MAC address was not registered, as suggested by one reply?

Definitely not the case. If the MAC address of your modem wasn't provisioned, then your connection wouldn't work at all.

If nothing else, the Engineer can test the levels received by your connection. You might not deem it relevant but the reports can give UPC a clearer indication of the issue, or narrow it down to a smaller list of possible causes for troubleshooting.

...then your connection wouldn't work at all.
    Er..it wasn't working at all. It's working now, with no tweaking of the settings.
    That's the point I was making.
    You might not deem it relevant but the reports can give UPC a clearer indication of the issue, or narrow it down to a smaller list of possible causes for troubleshooting.
    Ok, thanks.

Noticed the last few days that this EPC2425 rebooted itself twice, just wondering does this happen when they're updating settings their side ?

update: all seems fine since posting, no further auto reboots. fings x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Has anyone here been able to get UPC to provision another modem that you have provided yourself?

I've been having the usual EPC2425 woes and it's getting worse (especially because they reset all my settings every few days now, screwing up bridge mode etc). And the frequent connection drops. I already bought a Scientific Atlanta 2203 modem from another boarder a few months ago but I can't use it unless UPC change the MAC address on their side to the one of the SA modem.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to get them to do that, or is the only way to eventually get them to send one out? One of my colleagues has tried that but it took him 25 calls and an engineer visit (for which I don't have the time because I work full time). So it would be a lot better if they could just set up this other modem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭antoisspence

Hey.

I live in Dublin and have had the EPC2425 router for a while now with no problems whatsoever. However on Thursday evening my signal went and then didn't come back till Friday afternoon, after that i only had my connection for an hour or two before it went again and it's been coming and going as I'm typing this message.

I've tried resetting the router, resetting the adapter, changing the IP, changing the DNS, hell even just turning both the computer and router off and on again but once the signal goes there's no way to get it back until it just comes back itself. When I try pinging I keep getting the DNS error.

Has there been anyone around the Dublin area having problems like this? If so, any advice? Or should I just go and give UPC a call?

Hey.

I live in Dublin and have had the EPC2425 router for a while now with no problems whatsoever. However on Thursday evening my signal went and then didn't come back till Friday afternoon, after that i only had my connection for an hour or two before it went again and it's been coming and going as I'm typing this message.

I've tried resetting the router, resetting the adapter, changing the IP, changing the DNS, hell even just turning both the computer and router off and on again but once the signal goes there's no way to get it back until it just comes back itself. When I try pinging I keep getting the DNS error.

Has there been anyone around the Dublin area having problems like this? If so, any advice? Or should I just go and give UPC a call?

I'm in Dub west using EPC2425, no signal issues tk F :p altho my modem did reboot 'by itself' yesterday which could indicate a signal prob?, hasn't happened since tho- give them a call, they can log into ur modem their side and see what's up.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here been able to get UPC to provision another modem that you have provided yourself?

I've been having the usual EPC2425 woes and it's getting worse (especially because they reset all my settings every few days now, screwing up bridge mode etc). And the frequent connection drops. I already bought a Scientific Atlanta 2203 modem from another boarder a few months ago but I can't use it unless UPC change the MAC address on their side to the one of the SA modem.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to get them to do that, or is the only way to eventually get them to send one out? One of my colleagues has tried that but it took him 25 calls and an engineer visit (for which I don't have the time because I work full time). So it would be a lot better if they could just set up this other modem for me.

Just took one call for me to get it done.

Advertisement