Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 subej

Hi. I'm using cisco epc2425 couple months but now I've problem with configuring it with my own VOIP provider. UPC blocked configuration of VOIP gate. I want use VOIP without using laptop, just with my phone (not IP phone). I rang them and they told me that I can use it with voip but I have to use UPC voip and have to pay 5 euro per month. I don't want use it because I hate when someone forces me to do something. I'm using justvoip with betamax and paying 12.5 euro per about 6 months, sometimes longer. So can anybody tell me how to install genuine cisco firmware and where can I get this? Thanks in advance for quick answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Okay, we just got UPC in the house, everyone except for one of the girls can connect no problem. We're using win7, she's still on Vista, and when she connects to the router, it comes up "Local Access Only". UPC can see her laptop connected to the router, but she can't use the internet at all. I'm using the default settings the router came with.

Already have a thread in the Windows forum saying what i've done so far - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056397551

Anyone have any solutions to get her on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 subej

So if I can't do this with epc2425 what if I'll buy wifi router with modem and voip gate instead of? Will it work with UPC? And if it will work which one I should buy, I prefer Linksys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You have to use the current Cisco cable modem/router on UPC as they only authorise the modems supplied by them to connect to their network - its all controlled by MAC addresses and other things

It is possible to bridge the Cisco modem/router and then connect your own router with VoIP to the Cisco one and use it instead.

I use a DrayTek Vigor 2110Vn and have also used a Linksys WRP400 (which wasn't very stable even with firmware uppgrades)

Or the other option is to leave the Cisco one as is and attach an ATA to it and use that instead.

• Advertisement

You can buy an ATA on eBay cheap enough, and should be able to set that up. You don't need to change the router, or do anything with UPC.

A recent firmware change by UPC seems to have disabled bridge mode on the modem anyway, so using your own router may not even be possible, unless you've avoided the firmware update.

jor el wrote: »
    You can't.
    Is it my post you're referring to or the one above it?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Okay, we just got UPC in the house, everyone except for one of the girls can connect no problem. We're using win7, she's still on Vista, and when she connects to the router, it comes up "Local Access Only". UPC can see her laptop connected to the router, but she can't use the internet at all. I'm using the default settings the router came with.

Already have a thread in the Windows forum saying what i've done so far - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056397551

Anyone have any solutions to get her on the internet?

Go into Network connections click "Manage wireless networks" delete the saved settings for the UPC router, and retry connecting to router from fresh.. worked for my sisters laptop with a similar issue.
    vista and wireless don't work well together

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

hey gang i have no problems getting my internet up and running on the wireless side but when i plug in ethernet supplied with Cisco modem/router the signal goes after 3 or 4 mins cant explain it checked all my settings all seem same as what is needed for wired network to work!

just wondering if anyone else had any issues with this modem before when trying to connect to wired network. like i said wireless is fine but just i prefer wired

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Is it my post you're referring to or the one above it?
    Dunno, but seems unlikely that you were the intended party.
    mark17j wrote: »
    Go into Network connections click "Manage wireless networks" delete the saved settings for the UPC router, and retry connecting to router from fresh.. worked for my sisters laptop with a similar issue.vista and wireless don't work well together
    if above does not work, back to basics. Disable encryption on the router temporarily to see if the vista pc can acquire connection with the guard down. If you get a result, try enablng WEP encryption on the router. If this also works, Then im guessin that vista pc is havin a conflict with WPA-PSK....possibly.

• Advertisement

Go into Network connections click "Manage wireless networks" delete the saved settings for the UPC router, and retry connecting to router from fresh.. worked for my sisters laptop with a similar issue.
    vista and wireless don't work well together
    Did that already, didn't work though :/
    dodzy wrote: »
    Dunno, but seems unlikely that you were the intended party.

if above does not work, back to basics. Disable encryption on the router temporarily to see if the vista pc can acquire connection with the guard down. If you get a result, try enablng WEP encryption on the router. If this also works, Then im guessin that vista pc is havin a conflict with WPA-PSK....possibly.
    I disabled the WPA security and it connected. Didn't try it with WEP since i was told that that's easy to crack. But i tried her laptop with an ethernet cable and it still didn't work :confused: The type of wireless security shouldn't impact on that, right?

I've given up in the end. She's going into the IT guys in the college to see if they can sort it out for her. Thanks anyway :)

Another thing while i'm at it. Me and my brother in the netherlands are trying to set up to game online with each other (UT99). I can ping him okay through the command prompt but he can't do the same to me. I gave him the IP address i got from checking whatsmyip.org (ipconfig gives the 192.168 ip) but it just times out, i think. The game would be hosted by either me or him (not on a 3rd party server) so would there be any conflict for us? Do i have to change any of the settings in the router homepage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Another thing while i'm at it. Me and my brother in the netherlands are trying to set up to game online with each other (UT99). I can ping him okay through the command prompt but he can't do the same to me. I gave him the IP address i got from checking whatsmyip.org (ipconfig gives the 192.168 ip) but it just times out, i think. The game would be hosted by either me or him (not on a 3rd party server) so would there be any conflict for us? Do i have to change any of the settings in the router homepage?

You need to open/forward a couple of ports when you're hosting a UT99 server. You should be able to look up which ones they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

currently what modem are upc giving to new sign-ups on the 50mb package? Does this not offer bridge mode?

Doylers wrote: »
    currently what modem are upc giving to new sign-ups on the 50mb package? Does this not offer bridge mode?

They give you the Thompson on the 50meg package -
    I know UPC have disabled Bridge mode on the Cisco, not sure about the Thompson. Reading here tonight, allot of people complaining about constant resets with the Thompson, due to it's latest firmware upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Regarding using this modem with PS3 and Call Of Duty who is to blame for the nat problems ? Sony, Call of Duty or Cisco/UPC ?

Having a lot of trouble with ports and nat for Black Ops as the nat type is randomly switching from Open to Strict. Only gone like this recently for now reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭carveone

Reading here tonight, allot of people complaining about constant resets with the Thompson, due to it's latest firmware upgrade.

Happening here too with the Cisco. The odd thing is, it is doing a reset every hour, on the hour. I checked at 8,9 and 10 tonight and it did the reset within a few seconds of the hour. That cannot be a coincidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Bridge mode is more like broken rather than disabled since you've only got a small window to reconfig back as a router least you end up with a paperweight on the desk.

I suspect the NAT is a bit dodgy, even with DMZ i.e. initial connections are fine but you notice some intermittent issues flaring up now and then, issues that didn't occur in bridge mode (hence why I want a working bride mode back so badly).

Then again IP PassThrough exhibits the same DMZ performance issues.

Monotype wrote: »
    You need to open/forward a couple of ports when you're hosting a UT99 server. You should be able to look up which ones they are.
    It's via the command prompt that we're trying to ping each other, it's not working that way. Haven't tried a game yet with him though.
    I disabled the WPA security and it connected. Didn't try it with WEP since i was told that that's easy to crack. But i tried her laptop with an ethernet cable and it still didn't work :confused: The type of wireless security shouldn't impact on that, right?
    ^^development on this. she went into a computer repair store, they did some funky jazz to it, it's now working with WEP encryption and with an ethernet cable. It seems to be WPA/WPA2-PSK that's not working with the Vista machine. I was told over on the windows forum that WEP is easy to crack and not to bother with it.
    It's coming up "Local Only" with the WPA/WPA2 encryption. Tried assigning a static IP to her machine, but nada.

Any suggestions on what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

carveone wrote: »
    Happening here too with the Cisco. The odd thing is, it is doing a reset every hour, on the hour. I checked at 8,9 and 10 tonight and it did the reset within a few seconds of the hour. That cannot be a coincidence...

Change the DHCP lease time from 3600 to 999999999. My modem was doing exactly the same (rebooting exactly every hour). Called UPC, the technician only changed the lease time. I initially thought he just wanted to quickly fob me off, but it turns out this actually fixes the issue. Looks like a firmware bug.

blaz wrote: »
    Change the DHCP lease time from 3600 to 999999999. My modem was doing exactly the same (rebooting exactly every hour). Called UPC, the technician only changed the lease time. I initially thought he just wanted to quickly fob me off, but it turns out this actually fixes the issue. Looks like a firmware bug.

Thanks blaz, I'll have a look at that. Meanwhile, when I wasn't here, the modem reset itself back to defaults, which is really crazy. The brother called UPC who recommended a number of stupid things, the worst of which was setting wireless security to WEP. They must be out of their mind - do UPC take responsibility when your network is owned? (On the plus side, anyone who goes over the cap now has a get out clause.)

The WPA/WPA2 reauth interval is set to 3600 as well which was why I thought that might be related, but I'll look at your suggestion first. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Wow.

DHCP info:

Duration Expires
    D:00 H:20 M:00 S:00 Fri Dec 13 20:45:53 1901

1901 eh. Super. Who wrote the firmware for this? Mickey mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Hi,

I'm aware that this question has probably been answered already, but I can't seem to find the answer and any solutions I've come across haven't worked for me. I'm not the most technological person and Google has been worn out already!

I had a UPC account last year with my flatmates and set up a new account today with a new number. I requested that I didn't need a new router as I already the CISCO EPC2425 from the contract last year. So self installed the TV no bother and set up the Scientific Atlanta cable modem according to instructions as well. Problem is, I can't seem to get a wireless signal when I plug in the CISCO into the Ethernet ports, it only comes up as the old UPC account number. I've set the device to bridging on the IP address site and tried resetting it but to no avail. Would anyone be able to steer me in the right direction at all, I'm completely out of steam and UPC customer service are useless.

Thanks a million!

Edit: Fixed the problem, found an old Netgear router at home, resetted it and works a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

Hi Folks,
    any help appreciated on this.

Cisco epc2425 was giving issues today, so rebooted (don't know if it was the same issue as above).
    Seemed to fix things, but wanted to check everything, but could not log in via 192.168.100.1/ or 192.168.1.1/

It showed me the page but the user "admin" and p/w "W2404" whihc had worked previously were not accepted.

Wondered if I'd changed that at some stage, so did a factory reset, still cannot log in with those, or a blank user & p/w

Internet still works, only issue now is that wireless is back on (had switched off previously) and I'd like some way to deactivate it, dislike having a wireless network broadcasting that I've no control over or can't change the security on.

To cut a long story short, has anyone any idea of how I can regain some control of my modem again?

Thanks
    DeeJay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Muddy James

Hey guys, thinking about switching up to UPC's 50 down, 5 up package. After skimming through most of this thread, tbh I'm worried about doing it. Is it always terrible or can you get round the failings of UPC? Also, any tips for which modem to ask for, and will I need to immediately change any settings?

djh wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    any help appreciated on this.

Cisco epc2425 was giving issues today, so rebooted (don't know if it was the same issue as above).
    Seemed to fix things, but wanted to check everything, but could not log in via 192.168.100.1/ or 192.168.1.1/

It showed me the page but the user "admin" and p/w "W2404" whihc had worked previously were not accepted.

Wondered if I'd changed that at some stage, so did a factory reset, still cannot log in with those, or a blank user & p/w

Internet still works, only issue now is that wireless is back on (had switched off previously) and I'd like some way to deactivate it, dislike having a wireless network broadcasting that I've no control over or can't change the security on.

To cut a long story short, has anyone any idea of how I can regain some control of my modem again?

Thanks
    DeeJay

Strange, After a factory reset you should be able to login to it with no username or password, just click ''ok''.
    You may need to give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

Strange, After a factory reset you should be able to login to it with no username or password, just click ''ok''.
    You may need to give them a call

I know, that was what I was expecting to happen!
    Very frustrating. :confused:

Had thought it might have been something UPC did, new firmware or something, and hoped that others were experience the same thing, just so it was just not me!

Will have to give them a buzz tomorrow if it stays like this.

Never mind, suddenly had a flashback, and realised that the router control page does not like Safari.
    Tried it with Camino, no user or p/w and it works. Directs me to enter a new password.

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Muddy James

Hey guys, thinking about switching up to UPC's 50 down, 5 up package. After skimming through most of this thread, tbh I'm worried about doing it. Is it always terrible or can you get round the failings of UPC? Also, any tips for which modem to ask for, and will I need to immediately change any settings?

Sorry for the double post but if anyone could help me out, I'd give you an internet high five...

Sorry for the double post but if anyone could help me out, I'd give you an internet high five...
    It's the best broadband service in Ireland. DSL doesn't come close to competing with it. I have the Cisco modem and it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm sure it's been asked and I did search, but didn't find anything. I'll admit I didn't try too hard.

Just a simple question: Can you throw our your UPC hardware altogether?

I like that the Cisco EPC2425 has wifi, router, modem, and voip all in one package and am interested in replacing it. The fact that it is 802.11g and wired is 100Base-TX instead of gigabit is a bit of a bother. I just got a NAS and was only copying 10mb/s but that's just about as fast as a 100mbps network gets. So I'm thinking about upgrading to get the gigabit wired and 802.11n. I just wasn't sure do I need to keep the Cisco EPC2425 for the modem/voip or not.

• Advertisement

You cannot replace the modem, as it wouldn't work. You can add a router, and put the 2425 in bridge modem, but that will disable the phone line. You can put a router in it's DMZ host, which is probably the only solution that would work.

Post merged with EPC2425 sticky.

Advertisement