Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sorry for the double post but if anyone could help me out, I'd give you an internet high five...

50M comes with the Thomson modem, not the Cisco one as that doesn't support DOCSIS 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

jor el wrote: »
    You cannot replace the modem, as it wouldn't work. You can add a router, and put the 2425 in bridge modem, but that will disable the phone line. You can put a router in it's DMZ host, which is probably the only solution that would work.

Sounds like a pretty nasty kludge. It seems gigabit and wireless-n has been around a while. I wonder if they will upgrade the hardware sometime soon and I could just beg an upgrade. Hmm, well you answered my question that I need their hardware to connect and for the voip. Thanks. A bit worried that setting up a bridge/dmz could be problematic. Is anyone else doing this?

The answers are all over this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm trying to get an accurate speed test and I've been trying to follow this instruction from the OP:
    Speedtest.net, and any of the other speed test sites, can be hit and miss too. Do not rely on them for accurate speed results. Your P2P download speed is also an inaccurate measurement method. A good way to determine your download speed would be to download a CD image, such as the Linux distros on Heanet. The best way to download is using a download manager, like DownThemAll for Firefox, or any other manager. A download manager will ensure you get the best speed. Give it a few minutes, and note the speed. You can cancel before downloading the full image, as you probably don't need it.

I'm probably being really thick about this, but could somebody explain what I do here? I have tried right clicking and selecting downthemall on the page in the link and on the page inside debian-cd/ and I've tried it by right clicking on the folder debian-cd/. It always just ends up with what look like failed downloads and messages about files already existing.

Sorry if this has already been asked. I have searched the thread and read through a fair bit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

I cannot login to this router for the life of me:mad:

I've tried every combination of username/password I can think of. Left both blank, typed admin+password, typed admin with blank password, typed the username + password on the sticker on the bottom of the router, tried everything in capitals and lowercase. I even did a factory reset on the modem to try and reset the password. Nothing works. I'm sure I'm wasting my time rining UPC support. Anyone have any other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

doxy wrote: »
    I cannot login to this router for the life of me:mad:

I've tried every combination of username/password I can think of. Left both blank, typed admin+password, typed admin with blank password, typed the username + password on the sticker on the bottom of the router, tried everything in capitals and lowercase. I even did a factory reset on the modem to try and reset the password. Nothing works. I'm sure I'm wasting my time rining UPC support. Anyone have any other ideas?

perhaps try logging in from a different browser like IE, heard it doesn't work well with safari.
    BTW once you log into it, you can't access the "Advanced" Tab, there is a password and UPC won't give it out.

mark17j wrote: »
    perhaps try logging in from a different browser like IE, heard it doesn't work well with safari.
    BTW once you log into it, you can't access the "Advanced" Tab, there is a password and UPC won't give it out.

I've tried with Firefox, IE and Chrome. Had no luck with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

doxy wrote: »
    I've tried with Firefox, IE and Chrome. Had no luck with any of them.

I noticed that when the 4 lights are not on (three on fourth blinking) I could not log into the router - and the router seems to intermittently loose connectivity with other pc's on the LAN every five minutes or so...

I managed to reset the default password. I did a factory reset again, looks like I didn't hold the reset button for long enough last time. Anyway, I'm in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

50M comes with the Thomson modem, not the Cisco one as that doesn't support DOCSIS 3.

Does that mean that if I upgrade from 25M to 50M they will replace my Cisco modem? That would be brilliant! I'm still planning to try to get them to provision the spare SA2203 I have here but I'm not looking forward to dealing with their customer service.

I think I can order the 50M upgrade online (incl. self install) so maybe that's the easiest option - it's 5 euro / month extra and the extra speed would be nice.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm probably being really thick about this, but could somebody explain what I do here? I have tried right clicking and selecting downthemall on the page in the link and on the page inside debian-cd/ and I've tried it by right clicking on the folder debian-cd/. It always just ends up with what look like failed downloads and messages about files already existing.

Download in the same way you'd download anything. Doesn't have to be an ISO from Heanet, can be any large file, though preferably from a site in Ireland with large bandwidth.
    Does that mean that if I upgrade from 25M to 50M they will replace my Cisco modem?

Yes, they have to change the modem as the 2425 doesn't work at 50Mbps.

Yes, they have to change the modem as the 2425 doesn't work at 50Mbps.

Great, thanks!

Edit: However I was reading around (I hadn't heard of the Thompson yet) and I see there are also problems with bridge mode, and spontaneous reboots and factory resets... Those are the exact same problems I have with the 2425. So it won't help me there :( I assumed because it was anything else than the EPC2425 it would be better but I guess not :S

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm in Galway and I've been having trouble lately with my UPC Cisco router. It disconnects every so often. I haven't managed to observe a pattern but it's maybe every 20-30 minutes, sometimes a bit more frequently.

The thing is that I had rock solid service until the time they upgraded my connection to 30MB as standard. I've disconnected the modem and reconnected and even done a reset but to no avail. Unless I'm mistaken too it seemed to connect to the UPC network for quicker previously. it can take 2-4 minutes for the router to come online when I disconnect it.

If the router disconnected periodically and then took only a few seconds to come back on line I could live with that but it looks like the connection is dropping and then taking the same 2-4 minutes to restore. While all this is happening the router looks OK in that all the correct lights are on.

I do have an Apple Airport Extreme sitting behind the router, bridged and dong the wireless. Wireless in the router is turned off. The router is handling everything else. It's weird, it's like the router resets internally because I can't ping other devices on my internal network while the router is off line. Besides that I've got a NAS behind the extreme with a webserver and torrent client running.

I haven't tried calling UPC yet but I just wondered if anybody else is having similar issues, especially in Galway. I'm not sure how to access the logs on the router right now. I'm not a Cable expert but am a techie so I might get some insight.

Is anybody else noticing the same issues? My initial impression is that the Cisco modem is a piece of crap anyway and I'm wondering if I'd be better served with one of their other modems? Any advice or help is welcome!

Actually, I can't log onto the setup page for the router. Reading video from my NAS shares seems OK so I wasn't clear enough in what I was saying.

roast wrote: »
    [About having UPC set up someone else's old SA2203 modem]

Just took one call for me to get it done.

I just tried to get this done but they refused - they said because it was owned by someone else and it should have been sent back they couldn't do this for me.

They also refused to send out another SA2203, the girl said this was 'an old modem' and that they don't have them anymore.

However just after the call I was looking on their website and it seems they still provide them with the 20mbit package (it even costs extra for the wireless modem).

I still have 3 months to go on my contract so I may suffer it out for a while and cancel it when I'm a bit closer to the end, and then just ordering the 20 mbit package. The Thompson won't do either as it also has no bridge mode (and the current Cisco I have keeps being reset to factory default every few days so it's useless - gets kicked out of bridge every time).

It's a shame there's nobody else in this area that has a similar offer (e.g. not having to pay for a useless phone line).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Download in the same way you'd download anything. Doesn't have to be an ISO from Heanet, can be any large file, though preferably from a site in Ireland with large bandwidth.

Thanks Jor. It turned out the problem was that I just wasn't finding the files large enough to take more than a second to download - the big ones are buried quite far down. When I saw this post it clicked for me. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

You cannot replace the modem, as it wouldn't work. You can add a router, and put the 2425 in bridge modem, but that will disable the phone line. You can put a router in it's DMZ host, which is probably the only solution that would work.

So you said the answers are all over this thread. It took me ages, but I searched over this thread to try and figure out bridging and the DMZ thing so I can add my own router with wireless N and a gigabit connection. The most helpful thing I found was here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74198514&postcount=532

So from what I understand I can accomplish this by getting a new wireless router, finding it's ip address, and plug this into the DMZ of the 2425. That will essentially place it on the web bypassing the 2425's firewall, etc. Is that right? Are there any tips or tricks I need to be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

hi guys posted this a few days ago in the xbox forum, but it seems i have a router problem. i have both the white and black wireless adapters. with the white adapter, when im host say in call of duty, the connection keeps dropping every so often for everyone except me, but when i use the black adapter i get a disconnection every 30-40 mins, i currently have upc 25 mb. Btw i have set my lease time to -1 already and i have took all of my firewalls down, what else could it be

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Hi, I'm trying to access the Setup options on the Cisco modem via http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.100.1 , and in the past when I wanted to access this I left the username and password options blank, but now that is no longing working.

It is saying "Authorization is required to access the configuration server. You must enter the correct username and/or password."

Have they changed this? Anyone know how to gain access now? (tried on various browsers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Reset modem - you have 2 "buttons" in the back - press for few sec this one hidden in the cover. After that it will ask you for new pass when you will try login.

guys im also having another problem with my router, when im host in a game in black ops, the connection keeps dropping for everyone else every say 3 mins or so, is there anything i can do that will make my router work alot better with my xbox? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Hi all,

There are a few things I am trying to do with the router that you might be able to help with! First thing I am trying to do is switch on my computer at home connected to the UPC router from anywhere outside. I can switch on my computer no problem from any machine on the local lan using a WOL magic packet and it all works great. The problem is I cannot get it to work from outside! The problem must lie with the router. So I setup a port forwarding rule to forward UDP and TCP traffic on port 9 (WOL magic Packet port) to the IP address of the computer I want to switch on but unfortunately this still does not work!!!! The router only allows me specify a local IP address and not a broadcast network address! so I am wondering how the router would know were to forward a magic packet destined for a computer that's turned off!

If you got this far reading thanks its a bit long winded and I would appreciate an advise or help and wondering if anyone else has tried this?

My second question is how to remotely dial in and mange the router? I setup the router for remote management and I am trying to access the routers WAN IP remotely but not sure what I need to use here? Is this a secure web browser interface or do I need to use special software?

Again thanks in advance and for reading if you did...

B

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭blankguitarist

How do I go about changing the SSID on a Thompson TWG870UIR router?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I just enabled it there now and my windows 7 PC has a real internet address :)
    Now I just need to hook up the Tomato again and I'm sorted :)
    http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp
    My firmware versions are:

Firmware Name
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-110516cs_upc.bin

Software Revision
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-110516cs_upc

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Getting connection interrupted in Black Ops every 10 seconds, Somebody help me..

Also why does the router take so long to reboot?

DermotOH wrote: »
    Getting connection interrupted in Black Ops every 10 seconds, Somebody help me..

Also why does the router take so long to reboot?

i had this problem for a while, if you go into your router settings, go to the bottom to wireless, click basic, and you should see something saying new channel. if it is on 1 you could be getting interference, change it from auto too something like 3 or higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Can anyone help me out?

I recently changed from eircom broadband to upc broadband. problem is, on upc i always have the same IP address.

Is there any way to change my ip address?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out?

I recently changed from eircom broadband to upc broadband. problem is, on upc i always have the same IP address.

Is there any way to change my ip address?
    No my ip is always the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Im suffering with the 2 Xbox and only one open NAT problem. Will buying a new modem or router solve this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

mark17j wrote: »
    No my ip is always the same.

Its annoying alright.
    Is there anyway to change or mask it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hi,
    I didn't want to start a new thread, apologies if i should have,

If i buy one of these Routers, Already configured for UPC from Adverts, Will it work on my UPC at home? Reason for asking, is i see so many people saying, it won't work.. :confused:

Advertisement