Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Allyall wrote: »
    Hi,
    I didn't want to start a new thread, apologies if i should have,

If i buy one of these Routers, Already configured for UPC from Adverts, Will it work on my UPC at home? Reason for asking, is i see so many people saying, it won't work.. :confused:

Nope. Each one has a unique MAC address, which is provisioned on your account for internet use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thanks for that :)

Saved me a lot of time.. I probably would have bought it, and convinced myself i could make it work.. :D:D:D:o

Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just bought an Asus RT-N56U to get Wirleess-N and Gigabit wired. Will place the new router's IP in the Cisco DMZ and see what else I can switch off on the Cisco (like wireless).

Anything else I need to do? It sounds too easy!

Will report my experience here when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

newkie wrote: »
    Just bought an Asus RT-N56U to get Wirleess-N and Gigabit wired. Will place the new router's IP in the Cisco DMZ and see what else I can switch off on the Cisco (like wireless).

Anything else I need to do? It sounds too easy!

Will report my experience here when it arrives.

You can enable bridge mode as long as you don't need UPC's phone service and this will give your ASUS a proper internet address.
    http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp

bricks wrote: »
    You can enable bridge mode as long as you don't need UPC's phone service and this will give your ASUS a proper internet address.
    http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp

Thanks bricks, but I am using their phone service. So I believe the DMZ is the only way. Are there any pros/cons to DMZ vs. Gateway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Hi guys,

Have a problem with UPC and their cisco wireless box. About twice a day it loses connection to the internet and the online light on the front goes off. The US light flashes continuously. When we plug it out and back in it works again but the same thing happens a few hours later.

Don't want to ring UPC again as I never have any luck with them so any ideas? We have another box in the house (assuming whoever had UPC here last year left it behind- it's a student house).

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

hi there guys, i have being having problems with my router aswell with disconnections and my connection dropping in cod, if i was to use a wire for my connection will it help this problem?, and aswell which type of cable do i need to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

ugglasdav wrote: »
    hi there guys, i have being having problems with my router aswell with disconnections and my connection dropping in cod, if i was to use a wire for my connection will it help this problem?, and aswell which type of cable do i need to do this

As I posted before the only way of sorting these issues is to piss off UPC enough and they will install a scientific atlanta modem bridged to a netgear router no more problems 100%

bryaner wrote: »
    As I posted before the only way of sorting these issues is to piss off UPC enough and they will install a scientific atlanta modem bridged to a netgear router no more problems 100%

that didnt really answer my question:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

bryaner wrote:

There may have been a recent policy change. It wasn't too long ago I tried repeatedly pestering UPC over the course of 2 weeks to do it. No joy on 1'st or 2'nd level support. 1'st level had no idea about it and 2'nd stated that they don't this any more / have them in stock. Even if you do manage to get an SA somehow they stated they wouldn't do it in no uncertain terms (been hinted they may have done it before but now would "discipline" agents that do it).

One agent did suggest trying to call the loyalty department, didn't give it a shot yet though.

• Advertisement

can any body answer this question?

Champ wrote: »
    There may have been a recent policy change. It wasn't too long ago I tried repeatedly pestering UPC over the course of 2 weeks to do it. No joy on 1'st or 2'nd level support. 1'st level had no idea about it and 2'nd stated that they don't this any more / have them in stock. Even if you do manage to get an SA somehow they stated they wouldn't do it in no uncertain terms (been hinted they may have done it before but now would "discipline" agents that do it).

One agent did suggest trying to call the loyalty department, didn't give it a shot yet though.

It's about 6 months ago since I got them to do it for me, about 16 phone calls and 5 call outs well worth it..

that didnt really answer my question:pac:

It actually did, do as I said and you wont have any problems..

It's about 6 months ago since I got them to do it for me, about 16 phone calls and 5 call outs well worth it..

What's so great about the Scientific Atlanta modem?

What's so great about the Scientific Atlanta modem?[/QUOTE

It works like a modem should, no resets, no hanging and when bridged the netgear has serious wireless range.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

What's so great about the Scientific Atlanta modem?[/QUOTE

It works like a modem should, no resets, no hanging and when bridged the netgear has serious wireless range.

It's old hardware to UPC though?, do they still supply firmware upgrades to it? Have the cisco myself, and lately it's been great, no issues. touch wood.

mark17j wrote: »

It's old hardware to UPC though?, do they still supply firmware upgrades to it? Have the cisco myself, and lately it's been great, no issues. touch wood.

Old maybe but works well, and the range is serious now full wireless all over the house with the netgear and about 5Mbps faster.

25 Mbps connection.

1579062331.png

mark17j wrote: »

Old maybe but works well, and the range is serious now full wireless all over the house with the netgear and about 5Mbps faster.

25 Mbps connection.

1579062331.png

Ok, understandable if you have had issues with Cisco in the past.

Is there any advantage to gateway mode vs. DMZ?

Found some interesting information while googling my own question above:
    What is NAT

The number of available IP addresses on internet it limited. To get around this a concept of NAT (Network Address Translation) was introduced. With NAT only the router needs to have public IP address (also called Gateway, usually a DSL or Cable Modem). All devices behind NAT router have private IP addresses - usually starting with 192.168 or 10. These addresses are only valid within the router network.

A quite common example is a simple network with one gateway (say DSL or Cable modem). The gateway has a public (WAN) IP address and does NAT. All computers connected to this gateway get assigned a private IP address. The gateway takes care routing the data from / to computers connected to it. To make a computer connected to gateway accessible from interent a port forwarding setting is required. If the gateway supports UPnP or NAT-PMP protocol, Air Video Server can transparently setup the port forwarding for the user. Otherwise manual port forwarding is required (port 45631 / TCP).

This scenario represents a single level of NAT (just one router on network that does network address translation). Unfortunately it often isn't this simple.

What is double NAT

Double NAT is a scenario where multiple routers on network are doing network address translation. Common example is a Cable or DSL modem, to which a Wi-Fi router is connected. Both modem and router have NAT enabled. Computers on the network are connected to Wi-Fi router.

Even if port forwarding is setup on Wi-Fi router, the computer is not accessible from internet, because the WiFi router itself doesn't have public IP address. It has a private IP address within the network of DSL/Cable modem. There are multiple ways to resolve this, unfortunately none of these is a silver bullet. It depends on concrete network setup to determine which one is appropriate.

The solution below expect the following (most common) scenario: A modem (DSL, Cable, Fiber, etc) and a Wireless router connected to the modem.

Both the wireless router and the modem have web administration interface, each can be configured with a web browser. You might need to consult your router and modem manual to find out the IP address on which the administration interface is available.

Possible Solutions:

1. Setup PPPoE connection between the wireless router and modem

This is the most robust solution, unfortunately not all ISPs provide enough information for this to be setup easily

PPPoE can be usually setup in the wireless router's WAN settings. There are usually multiple options to configure the WAN connection of wireless router, amongst which are DHCP and PPPoE. DHCP is no good here, as it results in private IP address assigned to the WiFi router. PPPoE is better, because it bypasses the NAT in the modem, however it might need login and password information which the ISP might not provide.

2. Put the wireless router in bridged mode

Bridged mode on wireless router means that NAT and DHCP functions on it will be disabled. Some router call it bridged mode, some simply allow you to disable NAT and DHCP. Unfortunately some WiFi routers simply don't support bridged mode at all.

If you manage to switch router to bridged mode, all port forwarding needs to be configured on the modem (either automatically if it supports NAT-PMP, or manually).

3. Put the wireless router in modem's DMZ

DMZ (demilitarized zone) is a common feature of router that allow to chose one client to which all traffic is forwarded. If your modem supports DMZ, this might be solution for you:

1. Find out the WAN address of wireless router. For this you might need to log in to the WiFi router admin interface and look at the Status page (most router's have status pages which show relevant information about the WAN connection).

2. Log in to the modem web administration interface, find the DMZ settings and put the WiFi router's IP WAN address there.

Note that with this solution you will still get a double NAT warning in Air Video Server, but if the port forwarding on Wireless router is setup correctly, things should work.

This was great in that it describes the common scenario of your own wireless router and the UPC modem (cisco or otherwise).

I don't think PPPoE on the wireless router would be an option??

It hadn't occurred to me that I might be able to put my wireless router in to bridge mode (I've been more focused on putting the Cisco in bridged/gateway mode).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

Mine tends to slow down in the evening :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

{^Syntax^} wrote: »
    Mine tends to slow down in the evening :(
    do you use the wireless? if so could be interference... change the channel if you're experiencing slow speeds, channel 1, 2 or 11 work best for me on the cisco

Installed the ASUS router today, it is currently double-NATed so the subdomain has changed to 192.168.2.XXX. Any suggestions on proper setup let me know, but speed looks good as-is:
    1584979023.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maniootek

What do I need to set on my routerboard (with Mikrotik v5 OS) to work with my UPC CISCO MODEM in bridge mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zascoasa

Same as others has anyone any experience with Airport Extreme's and the Cisco in bridge mode ?

I set the Cisco into bridge mode then plugged it into the WAN port on the Airport Extreme and followed it's instructions as the Cisco should be treated as a cable modem yes ?

But after restarting the AE it complained about the double NAT and suggested that I change the AE from DHCP server to bridge mode.

Is the bridge mode on the Cisco broken, there seems to have been some talk about that earlier in the thread, also it was not in the menus I had to reach it by going into http://router IP/GatewayMode.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maniootek

Did anyone achieved "Nat type: Open" in Call of Duty MW3 on PS3 on this CISCO CABLE MODEM in BRIDGE MODE?
    I successfully connected my routerboard (RB) to CISCO CABLE MODEM, my RB got external IP on WAN port (like: 78.93.251.91), UPnP workng good (WAN port is added as external, LAN ports are set as internal)
    I can see 2 port added via UPnP in my RB (Firewall > NAT): 3074 udp (mw3) and 3658 upd (PS3) but I still getting Nat type: Moderate, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

the past few days im getting strangely high ping for my liking for ps3 gaming..ive never had this problem before except last few days its ruined my gaming for me i cant play no more...speed and connection is all grand

ping is around 75 when its usually around 20, cisco epc3435 modem

what can i do :\

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just making my way through the thread, so im still on the first couple of pages but I cant access the router setings. It's asking for a username and password. entering nothing doesnt get me anywhere. Either does entering the details off the bottom of the router. Any ideas?

I'm tryign to turn on port forwardign so I can set up my cloud server from my iomega storcentre.

EDIT, after much resetting I managed to get in, YAY :-)

My other issue that I'm now noticign is that when I try transferrign all my files from my computer to the iomega storcentre its not transferrign any faster than 10mb/s. IS there any chance a seting on the router is throttling it and set to 10 rather than 100?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Right, I just moved into a house with UPC's 25mb(my arse) package and the piece of poo cisco router is wrecking my head, I want to set it to gateway and use the old belkin router still here from when my housemates had Eircom last year to broadcast the network.

How would I go about doing this.

Is it as easy as just setting the cisco to gateway, etherneting it to the netgear and away I go or do I need to fiddle around a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I would just set the WAN of your belkin to obtain an IP address automatically and awayyyyyyyy you go.

If you have a DSL router. Disable the DHCP server on the belkin and plug directly into your cisco router.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've just found out that the UPC package includes a phone line, and from the sticky above, that means that I'm screwed, unless I can figure out this DMZ crap.

Could I just attach the belkin anyway and broadcast both, diable SSID boradcasting on the cisco and ignore that network and just use the belkin broadcast for wireless access?

Or would they conflict?

Advertisement