Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 L4Flare

I think I actually have the setup you're looking for. It's quite long winded but it works great once it's done. If you would like the short version skip to the end "Summary" section.

History:
    Last year I switched from BT/Vodafone to UPC. The UPC folks installed a Cisco EPC2425 router and right from the start the Wireless was crap. It was super fast when connected with a wire but the wireless was terrible.

So I decided I wanted to replace it with my old Belkin router (F5D7633-4) (click here for a pic). However due to the Cisco router being a cable modem, and my Belkin router being ADSL, I couldn't merely replace the Cisco router with the Belkin one. And I didn't want to buy a new router. So I decided to use the Belkin router as a wireless access point and leave the Cisco router to do the rest of the work (DHCP etc).

Bridge mode would make sense here, but I couldn't get bridging to work. So the following is the solution I ended up implementing and it's been working great ever since.

Requirements:
    1. Belkin router (although I'm sure this general process will work with any WiFi enabled router).
    2. Cisco router from UPC.
    3. A spare Ethernet cable.
    4. A PC.

Setup:

Make sure the Belkin router and Cisco router are not connected yet (we'll do that later).
    The aim is to have the Cisco router handling DHCP and doing all the routing and the Belkin router handling the WiFi.

The assumption is the Cisco router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1.
    So I want to give the Belkin router an IP address of 192.168.1.2...

1. Log into the Belkin router:
    Connect a PC to the Belkin router (preferably via a cable).
    Open a web browser and enter the IP address of the router into the address bar (the IP address is probably 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1).
    Click login and enter your username and password if necessary.

Note that my references to menus such as "LAN Setup" and LAN Settings" might not be the same for your router. These are the menu names for the Belkin F5D7633-4 router, a different Belkin router may differ).

Please also note that you can try this at your own risk. You will be changing a lot of settings on the Belkin router, so you may want to make a backup of the settings if you ever need to use the old settings again (Log into Belkin router. Go to Utilities > Save/Backup Settings and click Save).

2. Under LAN Setup > LAN Settings:
    Give the Belkin router an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and turn DHCP off.
    Save your changes.

3. Under Internet WAN > Connection Type:
    Choose Static IP (IPoA) and click Next.

Enter these settings:

WAN IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (this is the IP address of the Cisco router)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (this is the IP address of the Cisco router)
    VPI/VCI: 0/38 (these values were already there, not sure what they do)
    Encapsulation: LLC (again, there by default).

Save your changes.

4. Under Internet WAN > DNS:
    Untick "Automatic from ISP".
    Enter 192.168.1.1 for the primary and secondary DNS Address.
    (Again, this is the IP address of the Cisco router).

Save your changes.

Configure your wireless settings whichever way you want..

5. Go to Wireless > Channel and SSID:
    Enter a network name and make sure the "Wireless Mode" is not off.

Save your changes.

6. Go to Wireless > Security:
    These are the security settings that I use but you can use whatever settings work best for your network devices:
    Security Mode: WPA
    Authentication: WPA2-PSK
    Encryption Technique: AES
    Pre-Shared Key: <choose a password for users to access your WiFi>

Save your changes.

BELKIN ROUTER SETUP COMPLETE!

Now just restart your Belkin router.

Finally, log into your Cisco router and under Basic Settings go to LAN IP Address Management.

Change the "Starting Local Address" to begin AFTER 192.168.1.2 (which is the IP address of the Belkin router). I chose 192.168.1.10 as my starting address.

Also, you can go to Wireless > Basic and turn "Access Point" off if you want, as you'll be using the Belkin router as an Access Point from now on.

CISCO ROUTER SETUP COMPLETE!

Final Step:
    Connect the Belkin router to the Cisco router using an Ethernet cable.
    If everything is setup correctly then a PC plugged into the Belkin router should be able to access the internet. Test this by opening your web browser and going to Google.
    You should also be able to connect to the Belkin router via WiFi and access the internet.

If you can't access the internet then try restarting both the Belkin and the Cisco router and try again. If there is still issues then double check your Belkin settings. You may have not click "Apply Changes" on one of the pages and thus some settings may not have been changed.

If all is working then you can use the Belkin router as a WiFi access point and you can plug devices into the Ethernet ports too if you wish. You can still use the Cisco router as a second access point if you wish to leave WiFi turned on on the Cisco router.

Please note that this method may not work for everyone depending on the router used, but it worked nicely for me. I have fast speeds from UPC and a great wireless signal from Belkin.

Hope this setup helps people looking to do something similar with their network. :)

Setup Summary:
    Router A = Cisco router (Gateway, DHCP, DNS etc)
    Router B = Belkin router (WiFi Access Point)

Router A:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Starting Address: 192.168.1.10 (anything greater than 192.168.1.2 (i.e. Router B's address))
    WiFi: Off

Router B:
    WAN IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP: Off
    WiFi: On

Plug Router B into Router A via Ethernet cable.
    Connect devices to Router B's WiFi.
    Devices should be able to access the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

L4Flare wrote: »
    History:
    Last year I switched from BT/Vodafone to UPC. The UPC folks installed a Cisco EPC2425 router and right from the start the Wireless was crap. It was super fast when connected with a wire but the wireless was terrible.

I have the cisco and the wireless is great, I get Good to excellent signal constantly, Modem in Livingroom and i'm in back bedroom upstairs.
    Maybe it improved somewhat with firmware upgrades ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

mark17j wrote: »
    I have the cisco and the wireless is great, I get Good to excellent signal constantly, Modem in Livingroom and i'm in back bedroom upstairs.
    Maybe it improved somewhat with firmware upgrades ??

Funny you say that because mine is brutal. Unable to play the Playstation upstairs any more online. Recently though this has only happened.

Has anyone any tips on how to strengthen the signal other then using tinfoil ?

Funny you say that because mine is brutal. Unable to play the Playstation upstairs any more online. Recently though this has only happened.

Yeh I always have a good to excellent wireless signal upstairs with cisco, fingers x that doesn't change in time.. the only problem for me lately is overload/interference on channel 2, I have always used that channel, I can still connect to it with full bars, but connection runs slow sometimes.
    I've changed over to Channel 11 now and all is good..
    I'm on the 25meg, but only getting 21.90meg average on wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Could always invest in homeplugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 war10ck

I have this device (EPC-2425) 2 years now-living in D12 area.No issues with speed but for the last 3 weeks it keeps resetting by itself.Thinking of UPC messing around with it-I disable its wifi and used another wifi router (eircom) because I'm tired of setting the wifi on EPC2425 every time it resets.Any ideas what could be the problem???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I can't get at the Advanced tab in the router settings my EPC2425 keeps dropping connection intermittently, I'd say every hour :mad:

justryan wrote: »
    I can't get at the Advanced tab in the router settings my EPC2425 keeps dropping connection intermittently, I'd say every hour :mad:
    You're not aloud access advanced tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ps21

i have the cisco router working with the dd-wrt router
    looking at your setup your default gateway on the dd-wrt router is wrong u need to specify the cisco router's LAN address (192.168.100.1) and local dns on the cisco router should be blank (upc will put one in automatically)

also on the cisco router u need to disable dhcp mode and wireless mode
    set the dd-wrt router to do dhcp and wireless to avoid ip conflicts and primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4.

I currently have a Huawei B260a providing my broadband services. I want to extend the range of this wifi using an EPC2425.

I have enabled the B260a to allow bridging, and i have changed the EPC2425 to bridging mode.

What else do i have to do? Im very confused.

You're not aloud access advanced tab.

That's garbage I should be allowed to configure my modem if it's acting up

• Advertisement

Tell UPC that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You can configure it in the Setup tab. It asks for a password first, but just press login and don't enter a passord. Then it asks you to set a new password, but don't do that, just click the Setup tab again and then you're in. All the configuration options are there - well lot's of options anyway, I don't know if there should be more.

If your connection is dropping every hour it's probably the Lan IP Address Management: Setup>Basic Settings>Lan IP Address Management, when you are in there change the Lease Time from 3600 to 99999999999 (as many 9s as fit in the box), click apply and it will change to -1. This means it will stops resetting itself every hour and dropping the connection when it resets.

The thing is though, the router does a factory reset every once in a while and you lose all your configuration settings. Mine seems to do it every day now. I had my first EPC2425 replaced and I'm probably going to have to get on to them again.

Pro. F wrote: »

You can configure it in the Setup tab. It asks for a password first, but just press login and don't enter a passord. Then it asks you to set a new password, but don't do that, just click the Setup tab again and then you're in. All the configuration options are there - well lot's of options anyway, I don't know if there should be more.

If your connection is dropping every hour it's probably the Lan IP Address Management: Setup>Basic Settings>Lan IP Address Management, when you are in there change the Lease Time from 3600 to 99999999999 (as many 9s as fit in the box), click apply and it will change to -1. This means it will stops resetting itself every hour and dropping the connection when it resets.

The thing is though, the router does a factory reset every once in a while and you lose all your configuration settings. Mine seems to do it every day now. I had my first EPC2425 replaced and I'm probably going to have to get on to them again.

Genius! I remember having that setting on the old eircom router just thought it was in the advanced tab somewhere, yesterday it was dropping connection every hour but after calling UPC it seems to be consistent now. Am I right in saying that I can't go and get a decent modem as this router is paired to my connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 war10ck

Pro. F wrote: »

This info helps but I think it's time to get them fix this issue.Will ask them for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Have gotten the Thomson TWG870UIR modem but seem to have hit a snag with it, i can connect to it no problem but am not sure which settings i may need to adjust to get online, have tried manually adding ip,dns but to no avail.

2rdhgf6.png

Some of the errors i am getting. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You don't need to change or set anything to get online. If you're not online, then UPC haven't activated the modem yet. Contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It seems they activated it as the firmware has changed to 1.36 from 1.30 and the telephone line light is active.Wasted best part of two days messing about with it which could have been wasted playing Skyrim... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

d22ontour wrote: »
    It seems they activated it as the firmware has changed to 1.36 from 1.30 and the telephone line light is active.Wasted best part of two days messing about with it which could have been wasted playing Skyrim... :D

I like your priorities mate. ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kelsa1210

Hi Folks,

Does anyone here have any experience with setting up one of these routers with a sonos system.

After much digging around ive discovered it's on the incompatable list.

will I be able to run it in brigde mode to a netopia router?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

Have just bought a Kindle, and to set it up I need to connect it to my UPC wifi network. I need to enter a password on the Kindle to do this. Is this somewhere on the base of my Thompson modem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

it should be, if u have changed it and forgotten it then u need to reset the modem
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 10 peadair

Hi kelsa1210,
    I have the same issue - UPC use the Cisco EPR series routers and these have a defect that means the Sonos system won't work - can't even update the firmware!
    What have you done? Will their Thompson series work with this Sonos?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MGSman123

Hi there,

I have the default Cisco EPC2425 supplied by UPC. I have a PPTP VPN account that I use on my PC, iPhone, iPod, etc. I'd like to use it on my Apple TV too, but I need to set it up in my router to do that. The problem is, I cannot figure out how to set it up at all. I went into the VPN settings on the config page and nothing made much sense to me. Any ideas?

Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

war10ck wrote: »
    I have this device (EPC-2425) 2 years now-living in D12 area.No issues with speed but for the last 3 weeks it keeps resetting by itself.Thinking of UPC messing around with it-I disable its wifi and used another wifi router (eircom) because I'm tired of setting the wifi on EPC2425 every time it resets.Any ideas what could be the problem???

I've the same problem now. It was always a POS modem but it got a whole lot worse with all these resets that keep happening now.

Are there multple users experiencing modem resets now?

I have to reconfig SSID and security to get all devices working again, it's a PITA :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I recently moved to UPC, 100mb broadband. Getting in the 40mbs when running a speedtest through a wired network. I know I won't get the full whack, but should I expect higher?

mcgovern wrote: »
    I recently moved to UPC, 100mb broadband. Getting in the 40mbs when running a speedtest through a wired network. I know I won't get the full whack, but should I expect higher?
    You should get very near 100mb on a wired network. check your power levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

You should get very near 100mb on a wired network. check your power levels.

Don't know much about these for cable modems, here is what I have, seem ok to me?

Downstream
    Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
    Channel 1: 9.6 dBmV 42.1 dB
    Channel 2: 9.8 dBmV 42.2 dB
    Channel 3: 10.0 dBmV 40.4 dB
    Channel 4: 9.0 dBmV 39.1 dB
    Channel 5: 8.4 dBmV 41.6 dB
    Channel 6: 8.0 dBmV 41.9 dB
    Channel 7: 7.6 dBmV 41.1 dB
    Channel 8: 7.1 dBmV 39.4 dB

Upsteam
    Power Level:
    Channel 1: 35.4 dBmV
    Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Right so after looking at the first page I know I cannot use my phone whilst I set my router to bridge, is there any way around this at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Right so after looking at the first page I know I cannot use my phone whilst I set my router to bridge, is there any way around this at all?
    cannot be done, read the past 600 odd posts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

cannot be done, read the past 600 odd posts!

There has to be an alternative way, without bridging etc!!

Advertisement