Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You cannot use a phone when the modem is in bridged mode.

An alternate may be to use the DMZ host feature. This may or may not work, and I've no idea how to set it up. There are some posts relating to this in this thread. Google for other DMZ host information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patqwerty

Hi all,

I'm considering switching to UPC but I think its a rip off to charge E50 for that crap EPC2425 modem/router. I was considering getting my own device for cheaper but a friend (UPC customer) told me that if i had trouble, they will not help me. So, I managed to find a second hand one for E20 (haven't bought it yet though) but when I rang UPC to order my broadband, they told me that I will not be able to use that modem as it already has the previous account holder's details. I then rang the UPC technical dept to confirm that and was told the same thing, ie I will not be able to use that second hand modem and need to get a new one.

That sounds like a whole load of crap to me and sounds like UPC are trying to make dirty money. Am I right? If I am, can I still go ahead and purchase that second hand modem and and set up my broadband with it? I'm hoping to install broadband myself and save a further E45 actication charge. I already have TV from UPC. I will try to get all the activation key/password from the previous owner if required. Does anyone think I'd be able to do it or will i have to fork out more money to get this sorted? Please help!

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

patqwerty wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm considering switching to UPC but I think its a rip off to charge E50 for that crap EPC2425 modem/router. I was considering getting my own device for cheaper but a friend (UPC customer) told me that if i had trouble, they will not help me. So, I managed to find a second hand one for E20 (haven't bought it yet though) but when I rang UPC to order my broadband, they told me that I will not be able to use that modem as it already has the previous account holder's details. I then rang the UPC technical dept to confirm that and was told the same thing, ie I will not be able to use that second hand modem and need to get a new one.

That sounds like a whole load of crap to me and sounds like UPC are trying to make dirty money. Am I right? If I am, can I still go ahead and purchase that second hand modem and and set up my broadband with it? I will try to get all the activation key/password from the previous owner if required.

Thanks for the replies!

If you don't opt for the wireless modem from UPC, you get a standard ethernet/usb modem. Buy your own router, not modem, and you can use that. You can only use the modem that UPC provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patqwerty

roast wrote: »
    If you don't opt for the wireless modem from UPC, you get a standard ethernet/usb modem. Buy your own router, not modem, and you can use that. You can only use the modem that UPC provide.

Thanks roast. Is the modem free of charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Sorry if this has been asked but if searched thru as much as i could. Honest.

My folks got the upc into their house and have the wireless modem. the signal keeps dropping off, is that a regular thing with this modem? are setting wrong?

The weird thing is. My mother has a samsung galaxy and so do I. Her phone connects to the wireless but mine won't. It just goes, Authenticating, connecting, Disable on my phone. The son got a mini samsung and 3ds for xmas. Neither of these will connect either.

Finally, Was looking at the upc site and got into the modem settings and knocked something off. If i hit reset on back of the modem should it start working again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

liger wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked but if searched thru as much as i could. Honest.

My folks got the upc into their house and have the wireless modem. the signal keeps dropping off, is that a regular thing with this modem? are setting wrong?

The weird thing is. My mother has a samsung galaxy and so do I. Her phone connects to the wireless but mine won't. It just goes, Authenticating, connecting, Disable on my phone. The son got a mini samsung and 3ds for xmas. Neither of these will connect either.

Finally, Was looking at the upc site and got into the modem settings and knocked something off. If i hit reset on back of the modem should it start working again?

The wireless on the 2425 works fine here, change the channel to 1 , 2, 11 for best results.

mark17j wrote: »
    The wireless on the 2425 works fine here, change the channel to 1 , 2, 11 for best results.

Thanks will try that.

But its strange how it work fine on one Galaxy phone but not on another.

Nope. nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That sounds like a whole load of crap to me and sounds like UPC are trying to make dirty money. Am I right?

Modems aren't free you know, and UPC are just charging you the price of it. If you go to PC World to buy a modem or router, is it dirty money that you pay them?
    I will try to get all the activation key/password from the previous owner if required. Does anyone think I'd be able to do it or will i have to fork out more money to get this sorted?

Passwords, etc, are of no use to you. UPC tie the modems MAC address to your account, so unless they re-provision the MAC address of that modem to your account you can't use it, ever. There's nothing you can do about this.

If you opt for the non-wireless modem, then they provide an EPC2203, which has no routing function. This is a far better modem then the EPC2425, or any of it's successors. However, it won't work at anything over 30Mbps. You can only get this modem on the 20Mbps option. If you're going for 50 or 100Mbps, you have no choice but to take the newest Cisco modem/router that they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

Did anyone try the DMZ host solution for a bridging alternative with the new EPC3925? I have an existing DSL router/modem setup with the brilliant Tomato firmware that I would prefer to keep. I presume the 3925 can still update dyndns because my router will no longer get the public IP from the EPC3925.
    Are there any other drawbacks?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jor el wrote: »
    Modems aren't free you know, and UPC are just charging you the price of it. If you go to PC World to buy a modem or router, is ..............

If you opt for the non-wireless modem, then they provide an EPC2203, which has no routing function. This is a far better modem then the EPC2425, or any of it's successors. However, it won't work at anything over 30Mbps. You can only get this modem on the 20Mbps option. If you're going for 50 or 100Mbps, you have no choice but to take the newest Cisco modem/router that they use.

Can the 2203 be used with the phone service ? Friends of mine are about to get UPC and I am anticipating lots of questions.

It seems incredible that UPC have not woken uo to the fact that there is a demand for a better solution than what they are offering at the moment

dub45 wrote: »
    Can the 2203 be used with the phone service ? Friends of mine are about to get UPC and I am anticipating lots of questions.
    Yes.
    dub45 wrote: »
    It seems incredible that UPC have not woken uo to the fact that there is a demand for a better solution than what they are offering at the moment
    I'm sure they're aware of that fact. UPC NL already offer such solutions, it's only a matter of time before UPC Ireland follow suit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nan0dog

That's interesting, is there a bridged modem for 50/100mbs on offfer in the netherlands ?

nan0dog wrote: »
    That's interesting, is there a bridged modem for 50/100mbs on offfer in the netherlands ?

Yes indeed. Not home right now, so can't get the model number. But basically, its an equivalent to the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203, just a modem, not a modem/router combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nan0dog

That is good news. Thanks Roast. Do the Dutch have to lose the phone service to use this modem ? Personally, if they would just allow you to change the bloody DNS server to your preferred provider and add a few more working DDNS providers with options to actually update DDNS I'd be happy. Now that I think about it :-) vpn and , OK I need bridging. UPC are in the business of trying to lock everything down to lower support costs so a modem is a better option from their perspective as they simply provide modem access. Lets hope it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

For the past day or two my connection keeps cutting out every ten minutes or so. It takes another five minutes for it to start working again. I've tried resetting it but nothing works. Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

bertie4evr wrote: »
    For the past day or two my connection keeps cutting out every ten minutes or so. It takes another five minutes for it to start working again. I've tried resetting it but nothing works. Help!
    I had similar issue previously it were problems with too strong signal yes too strong call Upc to send the techician ;)

Little update, now I'm home. This is the DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem used by UPC NL for the 50-100mb service. Simply a modem.
    nan0dog wrote: »
    That is good news. Thanks Roast. Do the Dutch have to lose the phone service to use this modem ? Personally, if they would just allow you to change the bloody DNS server to your preferred provider and add a few more working DDNS providers with options to actually update DDNS I'd be happy. Now that I think about it :-) vpn and , OK I need bridging. UPC are in the business of trying to lock everything down to lower support costs so a modem is a better option from their perspective as they simply provide modem access. Lets hope it happens.

No, they don't lose the phone service. It's a VOIP/Cable modem, specifically, not a router. Changing DNS/DDNS/VPN Firewall etc. is the job of a router, which the EPC2203 and the DPC3000 is not, it's simply a modem. There's no bridge mode on these, because they are essentially a bridge.

I expect UPC Ireland are going to be issuing these as an alternative to the EPC3925 and the Thomson TWG870UIR sooner, rather than later, to accommodate the customers who want to use their own router as opposed to using DMZ mode (which is not strictly a bridging mode (my tutorial on this is here) )

This is all going a little off topic though, as this thread is specifically for the 2425 and 3925 issues. However, hopefully this post clarifies some things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Hi guys, im having problems with my Cisco EPC2425. We have two Xboxs in the house, one is connected perfectly with open NAT and all ports forwarded over a wireless configuration. The other is hooked up directly through Ethernet cable and is in a DMZ, but it is not able to connect to Xbox live. Sometimes the Xbox gives IP Address Error and other times it gives DNS error.

Has anybody got any idea how to fix this problem, it's super frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TweekeewT

Anyone having trouble with their Xbox 360 with an EPC3925?

Ever since I got the 3925 when I upgraded from 30meg to 50meg before Christmas, my 360 has been randomly locking up while connected - screen freezes, no sound and the controller won't do anything.

There doesn't seem to be any common cause; it can happen on the dashboard, while streaming video, during a game or while watching Netflix. The lockups during gameplay can happen as soon as I hit start or after 10 minutes of play. There have also been periods of a few days at a time when no lockups occur.

I guess it's possible that the 360 itself is at fault, but it seems a bit fishy that it only started when I changed router, and it never happens when I tether the 360 to my mobile phone's internet connection.

I'm going to try swapping around things with my friend who also has a 360 on a UPC connection to see if I can replicate it, but has anyone any experience of a fault like this?

Edit: I should add that I've tried every permutation of port forwarding, port triggering and DMZ I can think of. No problems with multiple PCs and a PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 jinxleprechaun

Hi Folks,

Steep learning curve here for me!!!

I want to get internet access via my 2425 to an IP Network camera. I have discovered I need a DDNS account. When I sort that little nugget out does anyone know if the Cisco has embedded support for this and how to set it up?

Thanks

Jinx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GLWC

bertie4evr wrote: »

Yep, having similar issue for about 5 weeks now. Drops out for several minutes, sometimes frequently (evenings) and less frequently at other times of day. We are in Ballsbridge/Sandymount area. Have played around with our EPC2425 a little, not sure to what effect. Wish UPC Ireland would hurry up and move to more reliable and transparent modem as discussed is going on in NL. Best would be a simple unit that can easily be fixed to your own router/wireless solution as you see fit for your specific home network needs. I've got a Cisco E4200 piggy backed onto the EPC2425, but it was very fiddly to get working and not an optimal config...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I have one of these units, and the wireless on it is completely banjaxed. I can see the SSD but cannot connect to it and the green light for the wireless is lit up on the box itself.

Restarting the unit used to help but now its completely screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I have one of these units, and the wireless on it is completely banjaxed. I can see the SSD but cannot connect to it and the green light for the wireless is lit up on the box itself.

Restarting the unit used to help but now its completely screwed.

change the channel 1, 2 6 or 11

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Thanks, that seems to have solved it! Any ideas what caused it? Perhaps a signal conflict with another UPC modem?

Thanks, that seems to have solved it! Any ideas what caused it? Perhaps a signal conflict with another UPC modem?

Scratch that, wireless is dead again. Going to ring UPC for a replacement tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 obonner

Hi,

I have a complicated installation requirement which in summary is that the modem will be installed in a central cabinet under a concrete stairs. There is zero chance of accessing the wireless signal from any of the rooms you might want to so I will need to install several WAPs, probably the Netgear Prosafe WNAP320 but I have not finally decided yet. There is also an Agfeo telephone exchange in the mix on the phone side...

Essentially UPC have offered to provision my own modem choice if I want to buy one that does not have a built in wireless router. So my question is:

Should I go with their standard solution, a switch and access points around the house and hope for the best?

Or, should I but something like the Cisco DPC 3000 that they apparently use in the Netherlands and buy a standalone router, switch and access points?

Advantage of the first choice - some chance of support. Advantage of the second - some chance of getting it working well once I learn a whole new set of stuff that I have no idea about!

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 obonner

roast wrote: »
    Little update, now I'm home. This is the DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem used by UPC NL for the 50-100mb service. Simply a modem.

No, they don't lose the phone service. It's a VOIP/Cable modem, specifically, not a router. Changing DNS/DDNS/VPN Firewall etc. is the job of a router, which the EPC2203 and the DPC3000 is not, it's simply a modem. There's no bridge mode on these, because they are essentially a bridge.
    )

Just had a look online at the Cisco documentation for the DPC3000 and EPC3000 and at the risk of being stupid I don't see an analogue port for the phone line on this device. What provides the phone functionality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lukus

Big thanks for this, didn't even think of it.
    I tried EVERYTHING today to get several of my wireless devices to connect to my new EPC2425... turned all security off, explicitly added my phone to the access list etc etc etc and still "Could not connect"
    Really strange, but changing the channel seems to have fixed it!

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sternpeak

Hello users, Im a bit lazy so i dont wanna go through all the pages to see if there is the same problem as me, just really annoyed at this point, hopefully its a quick fix but anyways.

my modem is : Cisco EPC2425

Im currently getting what speeds im suppose to be, i download fine upload fine, etc etc.
    But i play pc gaming, And recently ive been getting alot of Lag, and its not high pings it seems to be "jitter" like small spikes and my net has been very inconsistent the past 4-5 months now, i had a upc guy come out and re-rig a new wire from outside straight to my room rather than having it split between rooms, and it was fine for a while but got bad again, is there something to help this stop ? in the modem settings or is it just on upcs behalf ? i have a friend who lives 10 mins away from me and he has the same package as me and has no problems. What should i do, whenever i call up its always the same bs, restart router we cannot find anything wrong with the line bla bla bla. :(( really frustrating at this point thanks in advanced sorry for the rant :j

Advertisement