Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

dusf wrote: »
    Why not at least try the firmware upgrade and save yourself, UPC, and the engineer some time.
    Where can this be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭James_sb

Sorted for upload speeds (Posted also here with attachments)

UPC Engineer called out and fixed it for me (spoiler: he changed the modem - I now have a EPC 2425 that he had in his van).

So a bit more detail:

When he called, he said he had never seen upload speed completely gone like this before (seemed a sound/genuine guy, so I believe him). So people should call in about their problem and let UPC know. I showed him trying to upload to an FTP and only getting 2kbps, and he tried the UPC speed test, and upload part didn't work at all.

He checked out my signal strength, which he said was way too high (which is just as bad as too low.. see attached screenshots of before and after), so he put an adaptor between the UPC wall socket and the cable which normalised that, but it didn't help the upload speeds.

Then he swapped the modem (EPC 3925, for the EPC 2425) and rang UPC base to get them to update their registry with the details of the 2425 so it would work (they use authentication, so only a recognised modem will work with their network).

That takes about 20 minutes to get through, so in the meantime he went outside the house and ran a new cable from the UPC main splitter box into my house. He said this was just getting my set up in line with what it should be, in reference to signal strength) and that it is the new modem that will fix the issue.

When the new modem connected, it works like a charm. Back to what my speeds should be.

One slight snag... the EPC 2425, when using a MAC to access it, tries to ask for a password to access the 'setup' page even though there is none (apparently the 'advance setup' does require a password, but the engineer didn't tell me what it is). The engineer said it will happen the first few times, but I haven't tried it again to see if I can log in now. It just means I can't change the wi-fi password from the default. Though I can connect with a PC as soon as I get my hands on one.

#Edit# I should also mention the entire thing was free, from the phone calls, to the engineer call out, and the new modem...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

Hi,
    I have a Cisco EPC2425 cable modem from UPC. I want to change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.252.0. The webui of the modem does not allow me to do this . I called UPC tech support and they did not have a clue and passed me on to premium support who did not have a clue too. They claim that the advanced options tab is available to Cisco customer support reps. I think that is a load of BS. Does anyone here know how to change the subnet mask ?

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I assume you are talking about on your LAN side and not the WAN side, as I'm not sure why you would want to adjust that.

If you go to setup > Basic Settings > Network Configuration page on your modem you should see the LAN ip along with a / and another input box with 24 in it. That is the netmask in CIDR notation. Change it to 22 (255.255.252.0 in CIDR) and save. That should be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Yllonnoc

Hello,

I have a home server setup, its an old dell desktop computer which I have running Ubuntu 11.04.

I have all my music on it and I've installed Subsonic streaming server software (subsonic.org).

For the software to work it requires forwarding of port 4040. I think I have it setup correctly but when I check it here: http://canyouseeme.org/ I cannot see it.

Does anyone know how to forward a port correctly ?

I've tried using the software here (http://portforward.com/) recommended by the Subsonic forum, but it didn't work.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
    Stephen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Hi all,

Basically for the past day and a half I've been trying to figure out an issue i'm having with my UPC connection. Whenever I try and download something, stream something or going on Xbox Live, it works for a while then stops. But if for instance, I'm downloading something, I can just pause and resume it and it works again (at full speed), until it fails again, about a minute later.

I'm not downloading copiously, and my browsing this month has been average and comparable to the last 10-12 months. I did a pingtest, and every so often I get a request timeout.

I thought initially it was a wifi issue, because I checked the router page, and the WiFi channel was set back to 1 after I changed it a few months back. Can anyone suggest anything?

I havent messed around with the settings, & I havent been contacted by UPC about anything, but this is really starting to annoy me. Trying to download a Java update only for it to fail 10 times..

Also, would it be possible that the router is failing? Could I ask for a updated 3925 or a Thompson router instead of this crappy 2425? Or because I'm on the 30mb package, thats the best router I can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

It is possible to disable the router, by switching it to bridge mode, and thus allowing you to add a separate wireless router of your own choosing

I am going to do this, can I use any model/brand wireless router?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Got a upc2425 today what's the alternative to bridge mode using my own Cisco Linksys e4200 in dmz cannot find it in posts, is it complicated for a newbie,4 hours later pissed off I changed from a scientific Atlantic, thanks

got it working, speeds nowhere near 20 mbps
    changed linksys e4200 to 192.168.3.1
    went to advanced settings on upc2425 static static route to 192.168.3.1
    sub mask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1 (upc2425)
    clicked 'add static route' bingo
    upc telephone support were nice, but no use

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Current provider is UPC and has been for over a year. Up until this week I've had no major problems until the signal has totally dropped to my room in the house. The modem I have I take is the standard one. The weird thing is the signal has just dropped to my packardbell Easynote TJ68. I can pick up the wifi in my room using my iphone. I dont think the problem is the laptop as when I have it outside the room their is no problem ? Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I got UPC (25mb) recently and have the EPC3925 router. My house isn't big but from one end of the house to the other over wifi on my laptop I can't get more than 1.5mbs download speed and even when next to it I might get 3mbs. There isn't a problem with my wireless card. When I connect to the router over ethernet I get the full 25mbs download speed and 2.50mbs upload speed.

How can I improve my speed without having to be connected to the router?
    Would homeplugs make a significant difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Burks_ie

Hi guys,
    I am placing and order for 50mb broadband and phone with UPC which is the best modem to ask for. I use my broadband for mostly Xbox.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Burks_ie wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am placing and order for 50mb broadband and phone with UPC which is the best modem to ask for. I use my broadband for mostly Xbox.

Thanks
    I don't think you get a choice?, they usually send out the Cisco 3925 for the 50mb

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I got UPC (25mb) recently and have the EPC3925 router. My house isn't big but from one end of the house to the other over wifi on my laptop I can't get more than 1.5mbs download speed and even when next to it I might get 3mbs. There isn't a problem with my wireless card. When I connect to the router over ethernet I get the full 25mbs download speed and 2.50mbs upload speed.

How can I improve my speed without having to be connected to the router?
    Would homeplugs make a significant difference?
    Homeplugs work very well particularly if you continuously streaming or downloading.

Homeplugs work very well particularly if you continuously streaming or downloading.

Are homeplugs basically signal carriers/boosters? I'm loosing my signal in my room. Would a homeplug solve this and if so where could I get a decent one that's easy to set up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

14murphy wrote: »

Are homeplugs basically signal carriers/boosters? I'm loosing my signal in my room. Would a homeplug solve this and if so where could I get a decent one that's easy to set up ?
    Homeplugs are wired connections direct to your router using your electricity wiring in your house. The Homeplugs performance suffer from the quality of the wiring in your house and also the number of other appliances that you have connected to the same electrical point as your homeplug. However, they will perform at a far higher level than wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Hey, apologies if this has already been asked but I didn't come across anything when skimming through the thread...

Anyway, we just signed up to the 25Mb broadband/phone package and I set it up yesterday. The wireless signal is perfect with an iMac and macbook in the house but our Dell desktop is only receiving 50% signal at best. The router is downstairs but the iMac is one room away from the Dell and works perfectly. There's nothing blocking the signal into that room from what I can tell and I even moved the router upstairs with no change. The desktop is running Windows 7. Is this a common issue or could it be that the wireless adapter on the desktop is faulty?

Homeplugs are wired connections direct to your router using your electricity wiring in your house. The Homeplugs performance suffer from the quality of the wiring in your house and also the number of other appliances that you have connected to the same electrical point as your homeplug. However, they will perform at a far higher level than wireless.

Great explanation. Are they expensive ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bartcomp

Hi everyone

I`ve searched the thread, but cannot find useful info.

My EPC2425 (from UPC Poland) has disabled (greyed out)wifi settings (both basic&advanced). On status page the Wirless Interface (Primary&Guest) are down. Therefore I can`t do anything regarding WiFi. Is there aa solution to "un-brand" the modem or make it work ?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I can't find the Gateway mode that everyones talking about. Its not under the setup tab for me and I really want to put it into Bridge mode so I can use my other router. Help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

bertie4evr wrote: »
    I can't find the Gateway mode that everyones talking about. Its not under the setup tab for me and I really want to put it into Bridge mode so I can use my other router. Help!
    The gateway mode doesn't work any more, there is a way to get to the page (http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp) but if you enable it all it will do is put your modem in a constant cycle of resetting, making it rather hard to turn off again!

See my thread here for an alternative method of bridging: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056597546

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

hey there, I had a good look through a few of the threads but couldn't find what i was looking for.

I recently got UPC 50Mb broadband with a cisco epc3925 modem/router.

What are the optimum settings for the epc3925? Firewall off etc. I also wanna set it up with my ps3 via wifi and want to know if the default UPC settings on Nat 2 are ok or should I tweak them a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Cid-Highwind

Has anyone managed to get a 2203 from UPC recently? I rang them today looking to see if I could get one if I signed up for a new account - just got bounced between sales and tech support :(

Has anyone managed to get a 2203 from UPC recently? I rang them today looking to see if I could get one if I signed up for a new account - just got bounced between sales and tech support :(
    I tried to get mine reactivated recently, was told that due to upcoming firmware updates the 2203 wouldn't be capable of more than 20MB so they wouldn't do it for me. Whether that makes any sense at all I'm not sure, but that's the shtick I was fed!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Cid-Highwind

Adam wrote: »
    I tried to get mine reactivated recently, was told that due to upcoming firmware updates the 2203 wouldn't be capable of more than 20MB so they wouldn't do it for me. Whether that makes any sense at all I'm not sure, but that's the shtick I was fed!

This sounds like nonsense. The house where I live at the moment has a 2203 and the 25mb and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I tried to get one recently also as the 2425 is a piece of :confused::mad::eek:

Anyway after speaking with Sales and tech support I was basically pawned off and told they do not stock it anymore at all.

Annoyed me as the 2425 is not very suitable for my needs and I have my own router that I would much rather use. And of course they block out the gateway mode.

Ended up using the DMZ feature. Not perfect but better than nothing. Very annoying and I did not like the way I was bounced from one to the other only to be told to get lost.

If there was anything better, I'd move. Sadly there is not :(

I do remember reading somewhere that the max the 2203 can give is 55MB. Not sure how reliable that information is though.

Noxin wrote: »
    I tried to get one recently also as the 2425 is a piece of :confused::mad::eek:

Anyway after speaking with Sales and tech support I was basically pawned off and told they do not stock it anymore at all.

Annoyed me as the 2425 is not very suitable for my needs and I have my own router that I would much rather use. And of course they block out the gateway mode.

Ended up using the DMZ feature. Not perfect but better than nothing. Very annoying and I did not like the way I was bounced from one to the other only to be told to get lost.

If there was anything better, I'd move. Sadly there is not :(

I do remember reading somewhere that the max the 2203 can give is 55MB. Not sure how reliable that information is though.
    If your router has a dedicated WAN port the DMZ method should be just as good as bridged mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I've seen it posted here before but i didn't see a reply or a solution to it. I'm on the 25 meg UPC package on a 3925 cisco in Clonskeagh.
    Occasionally i'll get these outages. They're only small enough. Maybe 10-20 seconds. But annoying, just long enough to interrupt a download or stream. This happens on both a wired and wireless. Although wireless devices take longer to regain a net connection even though they never lose signal with the box. It didn't occur yesterday but it can occur 10-15 times an hour some nights.

Its incredibly frustrating. Has anyone rang UPC about soemething like this? Is there a solution or are UPC likely to be of no use?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bloody well raging here.

Just got delivery of our hardware and their lads fitted our points. Been waiting a long time due to a troublesome neighbour.

I've used the stock router in another house and its a POS, so we bought a WNDR3800(a tad overkill) as we're a "power user" household and there is a home office that will use the connection. Naturally, in a recession, we went for the cost effective plan and got the three way bundle. Which I now find out means that we're stuck using their router as a router. This should really be made fúcking clear when you're ordering.

Dunno what we'll do now. Eircom for 15yrs at this address, were in the first trial for broadband in the country, but the copper is shíte here(4.5/0.5). Looking at cancelling the port and leaving our phone with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did they disable the bridging option in their revision of the firmware? If so, FUUUUUUUUUUU UPC. Have looked in the appropriate place but no joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Hey guys, just got 100Mb in today, have the Cisco router 3925 model, the problem I am having is I can't connect, the DS light just flashes constantly, any idea what to do? Tried resetting factory settings multiple times to no joy.

Edit: Got it working now, had to use the splitter, no data coming though the other coax outlet still only getting 7Mbps thinking it may be degradation from the splitter maybe.

Edit2: Got it now, just took a while to get the full speed.

Advertisement