Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

3925. I've to change the LAN IP to 192.168.11.1 to avoid conflicts with the work VPN.

When I set the LAN IP to *anything* other than 192.168.1.1 then the DHCP server won't enable, giving the pop up error "Unacceptable DHCP Start IP address".

Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

n97 mini wrote: »
    3925. I've to change the LAN IP to 192.168.11.1 to avoid conflicts with the work VPN.

When I set the LAN IP to *anything* other than 192.168.1.1 then the DHCP server won't enable, giving the pop up error "Unacceptable DHCP Start IP address".

Anyone any suggestions?

Change the DHCP Start address, it's normally at 192.168.1.10 so change it to 192.168.11.10, should work.

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Change the DHCP Start address, it's normally at 192.168.1.10 so change it to 192.168.11.10, should work.

Any values in the DHCP config won't work if the LAN IP isn't 192.168.1.1.

E.g. setting the LAN IP to 192.168.1.2, and leaving DHCP start address at 192.168.1.10.

Or set LAN to 192.168.11.1 and DHCP start address to 192.168.11.10.

Any values in the DHCP config won't work if the LAN IP isn't 192.168.1.1.

E.g. setting the LAN IP to 192.168.1.2, and leaving DHCP start address at 192.168.1.10.

Or set LAN to 192.168.11.1 and DHCP start address to 192.168.11.10.

The DHCP should work as long as it is on the same IP, it being 192.168.11.1 if you configure the DHCP start to 192.168.11.* it should work.

Edit:Just tried it on my router here, works perfectly. Make sure you change the two of them at the same time then save, it won't let you save if you change one of them and then the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Hei guys, Have can I switch Cisco EPC3925 to Bridge mode? I switched to Fibre 50MB/s today and UPC gave me new modem, but there is no settings to switch it to bridge mode. I'm using Airport extreme and I don't want to use anything else, because I always had some problems with other routers and believe me, I have tried many. Since I'm using Apple's airport, didn't have any problems since then and I would like to keep it that way. Also all my device at home are Apple too, like computers, iPads, iPhones, apple tv etc... Please help to switch that stupid cisco modem to bridge mode. Thanks for any help

• Advertisement

The DHCP should work as long as it is on the same IP, it being 192.168.11.1 if you configure the DHCP start to 192.168.11.* it should work.

Edit:Just tried it on my router here, works perfectly. Make sure you change the two of them at the same time then save, it won't let you save if you change one of them and then the other.

Nope, as above, it refuses.

What software version are you on, is it epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc ?

Nope, as above, it refuses.

What software version are you on, is it epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc ?

epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc same as you, very strange that it refuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I got 50mb in last week but am having a few issues.
    Is there any settings I need to change on the 3925 or do I just leave it the way it is?
    I was getting a wired sped of 44 and a wireless of 33 or so which I am more than happy with.
    The first problem is that the range of the wireless seems very poor.
    It is quite strong downstairs in the house where the router is but upstairs is terrible.
    In one of the rooms the speed is 30mb wireless but in another room it is less than 1mb?
    Today I am getting a wireless speed of 28 and a wired of 23?
    Very strange.
    Is there anything I can do to improve the range , I was thinking of investing in a couple more home plugs with wireless access points in them.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Regards
    Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I got my 3925 yesterday too and noticed the same wildly differing wifi speeds, down to as low as 1mbit/ sec. (30/3 down/up with wired). It did worry me that there was no visible aerial on the back of the modem, so I'd be concerned about its signal range too. I might play around with changing channels to see if that makes a difference.

Muppet man.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

But of a n00b question here but I got a Cisco EPC 3925 this morning from UPC and I wanted tweak it abit but it won't let me.

All I want to is change the SSID from UPC****** to a personalized name and change the encryption from WPA to WPA2.

Everytime I try to do anything an save the changes it kicks me out and I've to do a hard reset.

Also I can only asscess the GUI via http://192.168.100.1 and not http://192.168.0.1

Can anyone help me?

• Advertisement

Phat Cat wrote: »
    But of a n00b question here but I got a Cisco EPC 3925 this morning from UPC and I wanted tweak it abit but it won't let me.

All I want to is change the SSID from UPC****** to a personalized name and change the encryption from WPA to WPA2.

Everytime I try to do anything an save the changes it kicks me out and I've to do a hard reset.

Also I can only asscess the GUI via http://192.168.100.1 and not http://192.168.0.1

Can anyone help me?

That is a strange one, I thought router access was all done though 192.168.1.1 on the 3925 unless changed. Could be a router problem, no idea how to help you there really, worked for me on the off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do an ipconfig to see what addresss comes up. I couldn't get in via 192.168.0.1 as outlined in the manual, pretty sure it was 1.1 as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Hey, UPC called me today and offered either Samsung or a Cisco router, I picked Cisco, cause I have 2425 and I'm quite happy with it.

Was it a right decision?

They could not tell me a Samsung model.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Hey, UPC called me today and offered either Samsung or a Cisco router, I picked Cisco, cause I have 2425 and I'm quite happy with it.

Was it a right decision?

I have the cisco router, I think it is pretty good myself, range isn't great but I would take a Cisco router over a samsung one any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Was it a right decision?

I have the cisco router, I think it is pretty good myself, range isn't great but I would take a Cisco router over a samsung one any day.

There is no such thing as a Samsung router from UPC. The alternative to the Cisco EPC3925 is the Thomson TWG870UIR, which I personally prefer over the Cisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

roast wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a Samsung router from UPC. The alternative to the Cisco EPC3925 is the Thomson TWG870UIR, which I personally prefer over the Cisco.

Thanks guys!

I'll still take the Cisco, already changed the order once so don't want to bother with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Thanks guys!

I'll still take the Cisco, already changed the order once so don't want to bother with it again.
    nothing wrong with the cisco, never had a prob with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭moonfish

Does anyone know where i can get a new antenna for the cisco epc2425 my 2 and a half year old in all his wisdom took it off and disposed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I did a reset by holding in the button on the back. When I tried to login with the blank username and password on 192.168.1.1 it wouldn't let me, so i tried the password I had set before and that doesn't work either. Is there something else I have to do or try?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Okay, I've tried various permutations to get the port forwarding to work on my EPC2425 - I managed to do it successfully a couple of times on my previous eircom router - but nothing seems to do the trick.

Created a static IP address [192.168.1.10]. Got on to the Cisco page and clicked on 'port forwarding". Put in the static IP address and the required open port for a Mac using Transmission and clicked 'apply'. Went back to check Transmission and it tells me the port is open. But various sites all tell me I'm not 'connectable', i.e. the port isn't forwarded.

Transmission works okay-ish (although I suspect I'm not connecting to other peeps who haven't port forwarded). At a loss by now, having tried most everything suggested and that I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Siskods9

So here goes...

I have the newly issued UPC Cisco 3925 and have been experiencing the intermittent disconnect phenomena. This was also occurring on the old UPC Scientific Atlanta modem too.

Step #1
    Log into the UPC provided device and greatly extend the LAN DHCP lease time setting to something like 9999 minutes.
    (Save and reboot the device).

Step #2
    There may be some compatibility issues re the DHCP clients found in newer versions of Windows and how the DHCP server component on the UPC modem / router works.

Note: This does not affect Win XP (SP2 and later) but does involve Win Vista and Win 7 clients. The issue here is potentially that at the end of the DHCP lease period, your client may not be able to renew its IP successfully, looking to all intents and purposes like you have been disconnected from the router. When strictly speaking this may not be the fault of UPC but is perhaps rather down to the differing vendors' implementation of DHCP functionality, i.e. Microsoft vs whoever makes your router (Cisco or other).

If you were to reboot your client here, connectivity should be restored - there should be no need to reboot your UPC router / modem / DHCP server.
    But having to frequently reboot your clients is a pain so hopefully these suggestions will help.

See the following MS support article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

After implementing the manual registry fix with a value of "1", DHCP releases and renewals via command line and even via Windows GUI are MUCH faster now. More than that they actually work!

Additional suggestion (belts and braces)
    It is possible to augment the network adapter settings in Windows to use an 'alternative configuration' in the event of not receiving DHCP settings from the server.

Just edit the settings of the IPv4 protocol for your network adapter and find the tab / button for 'Alternate Configuration' and manually enter the required static IP and DNS information.

Finally, it can't hurt to be mindful of the fact that UPC state in their Acceptable Usage Policy that you are allowed a maximum of 10 concurrent connections via their provided modem / router to the Internet. So if you use a download manager tool, ensure you configure it not to exceed this value.
    Note - That's a total of 10 going out through the router to the web at any given moment NOT 10 out-bound connections per client / internal network node on your home LAN.

I hope this helps folks.

And now back to playing Diablo III :D

I'm going to try unbinding everything except IPv4 from my LAN adapter and also to use non UPC DNS servers to see if the situation improves.
    I'll make the DNS changes on the router DHCP config and all other changes locally on my Win 7 client.

This is a head scratcher...

I'll report back on how this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Martynet wrote: »
    Hei guys, Have can I switch Cisco EPC3925 to Bridge mode? I switched to Fibre 50MB/s today and UPC gave me new modem, but there is no settings to switch it to bridge mode. I'm using Airport extreme and I don't want to use anything else, because I always had some problems with other routers and believe me, I have tried many. Since I'm using Apple's airport, didn't have any problems since then and I would like to keep it that way. Also all my device at home are Apple too, like computers, iPads, iPhones, apple tv etc... Please help to switch that stupid cisco modem to bridge mode. Thanks for any help

Anyone got any info on this? Have the Cisco EPC3925 but want to use my Netgear wireless router.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I've read the previous 20 pages of the thread and I see a recurring theme about the Cisco EPC3925 router. I have a similar themed question.

I get 103mb/sec down and 10mb/sec up when connected via ethernet to the 3925 router. (I have 100mb connection).

When using wireless I get 40mb/sec down and 10mb/sec up when I'm right next to the router. (I've tried 3 different devices, so not the device).

When I disable 'WMM support' in the router my download speed over wireless drops to 10-20mb/sec and upload remains at 10mb/sec. I need to disable 'WMM support' though or else my Skype calls are broken and don't work. Once WMM is disabled Skype is crystal clear, no broken calls, no skipping or jittering etc.

What is going on? any suggestions on what to do? It must be something to do with my wireless setup because wired is consistently fast. Wireless with WMM enabled is 40mb/sec down but Skype is crap. WMM disabled is 10-20mb down but Skype is perfect.
    What other settings would you recommend I look at to improve my wireless download speed and my Skype call quality at the same time. I have forwarded a port for Skype but that makes no difference.

The download issue with WMM support enabled/disabled is visible in uTorrent too. 7mb/sec down with it WMM enabled (crap skype calls though) and 2mb/sec with it disabled (Skype is perfect).

doing my nut in. and of course, try explaining any of this over the phone to UPC and they will just tell you to reset the router etc and your connection looks fine. Grrr... any ideas?

Cheers

100gSoma wrote: »
    I've read the previous 20 pages of the thread and I see a recurring theme about the Cisco EPC3925 router. I have a similar themed question.

I get 103mb/sec down and 10mb/sec up when connected via ethernet to the 3925 router. (I have 100mb connection).

When using wireless I get 40mb/sec down and 10mb/sec up when I'm right next to the router. (I've tried 3 different devices, so not the device).

When I disable 'WMM support' in the router my download speed over wireless drops to 10-20mb/sec and upload remains at 10mb/sec. I need to disable 'WMM support' though or else my Skype calls are broken and don't work. Once WMM is disabled Skype is crystal clear, no broken calls, no skipping or jittering etc.

What is going on? any suggestions on what to do? It must be something to do with my wireless setup because wired is consistently fast. Wireless with WMM enabled is 40mb/sec down but Skype is crap. WMM disabled is 10-20mb down but Skype is perfect.
    What other settings would you recommend I look at to improve my wireless download speed and my Skype call quality at the same time. I have forwarded a port for Skype but that makes no difference.

The download issue with WMM support enabled/disabled is visible in uTorrent too. 7mb/sec down with it WMM enabled (crap skype calls though) and 2mb/sec with it disabled (Skype is perfect).

doing my nut in. and of course, try explaining any of this over the phone to UPC and they will just tell you to reset the router etc and your connection looks fine. Grrr... any ideas?

Cheers

Sounds like you need a better wireless card. Most wireless cards even though they are N standard theses days, most of them don't use it very well, or if you card is older it might not have N at all, so that could be the problem.

thanks WW. I have tried it on 3 different laptops and a netbook. One of the laptops is only a few months old and has a 2011 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 in it. The Netbook is only about 6 months old too.
    I had thought it was my card for a long time too, but I have cards less than 12 months old and with the latest drivers. Thanks for the suggestion though. Will try disabling the hardware firewall on the router later to see if that helps.

The issue was that "WMM support" must also be enabled in the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 adapter settings on the laptop too. This setting is hidden away in the Wireless Network Connection Properties under Network Connections. There is a configure button there for the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230, and then an advanced tab. In the advanced tab and is an item called Ad Hoc Qos Mode with a WMM enabled/disabled dropdown. It needs to be enabled here aswell as on the router, otherwise Skype etc won't work properly. This 'WMM support' setting is enabled on the Cisco EPC3925 router by default otherwise the connection to any wireless adapter(s) can never go above 54.0Mbps as stipulated by 802.11e standards. However, the setting is not always enabled by default in the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 or equivalent on netbooks or laptops as I have found out. Enabling it on both the router and any network adapters allows for perfect Skype connections and fast speeds. If it's not enabled on one or the other, the problems occur.
    Phew... Sounds simple in retrospect but spent many hours troubleshooting that.

Siskods9 wrote: »
    So here goes...

I have the newly issued UPC Cisco 3925 and have been experiencing the intermittent disconnect phenomena. This was also occurring on the old UPC Scientific Atlanta modem too.

Step #1
    Log into the UPC provided device and greatly extend the LAN DHCP lease time setting to something like 9999 minutes.
    (Save and reboot the device).

Step #2
    There may be some compatibility issues re the DHCP clients found in newer versions of Windows and how the DHCP server component on the UPC modem / router works.

Note: This does not affect Win XP (SP2 and later) but does involve Win Vista and Win 7 clients. The issue here is potentially that at the end of the DHCP lease period, your client may not be able to renew its IP successfully, looking to all intents and purposes like you have been disconnected from the router. When strictly speaking this may not be the fault of UPC but is perhaps rather down to the differing vendors' implementation of DHCP functionality, i.e. Microsoft vs whoever makes your router (Cisco or other).

If you were to reboot your client here, connectivity should be restored - there should be no need to reboot your UPC router / modem / DHCP server.
    But having to frequently reboot your clients is a pain so hopefully these suggestions will help.

See the following MS support article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

After implementing the manual registry fix with a value of "1", DHCP releases and renewals via command line and even via Windows GUI are MUCH faster now. More than that they actually work!

Additional suggestion (belts and braces)
    It is possible to augment the network adapter settings in Windows to use an 'alternative configuration' in the event of not receiving DHCP settings from the server.

Just edit the settings of the IPv4 protocol for your network adapter and find the tab / button for 'Alternate Configuration' and manually enter the required static IP and DNS information.

Finally, it can't hurt to be mindful of the fact that UPC state in their Acceptable Usage Policy that you are allowed a maximum of 10 concurrent connections via their provided modem / router to the Internet. So if you use a download manager tool, ensure you configure it not to exceed this value.
    Note - That's a total of 10 going out through the router to the web at any given moment NOT 10 out-bound connections per client / internal network node on your home LAN.

I hope this helps folks.

It seems the BONJOUR service may be the culprit here.

Anyone interested may try the following to completely remove the Bonjour service:

1 Open an Elevated Command Prompt window. See here for a quick tutorial --> Elevated Command Prompt
    2 Click in the new Command Prompt window
    3 If your boot drive is "C", type "C:". If not, type the letter of your boot drive followed by a colon and press the <Return> (or <Enter>) key
    4 If you are running Windows 7 X86, type "CD Program Files\Bonjour" (without the quotes) and press return/enter. If you are running Windows 7 x64, type "CD Program Files (x86)\Bonjour" (without the quotes) and press return/enter.
    5 Now, type "mDNSResponder.exe -remove" (without the quotes) and press return/enter
    6 After that command finishes (should take just seconds), type "regsvr32 /u mdnsNSP.dll” (without the quotes) and press return/enter
    7 Type "exit" (without the quotes) and press return/enter. This will close the Command Prompt window.
    8 Restart your computer

If you like, you can open Windows Explorer and delete the Bonjour folder, but it's not doing any harm just sitting there either.

Full credit to the original poster srq2625
    http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/34717-no-internet-access-bonjour-service-2.html

• Advertisement

Surely this could be subdivided into discussion groups dealing with specific issues???

Advertisement