Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Reset my router last week, using the small button at the back (you need a pin or something like that to do it)
    It did seem to sort the inconsistent speeds, was getting 47 or so wired and 35 wireless.
    Since yesterday when I go to the internet for the first time it takes forever to make a connection.
    I decided to set the ethernet connection to dhcp with manual address and assigned it the usual IP it gets.
    It worked a treat, pages load up instantly.
    I did a speed test and was only getting 13mbps wired.
    I changed it back to just DHCP, straight back to 48mbps, strange router...
    I am still having a few issues with wifi range aswell but its just one room so not that bothered.
    I was going to ring UPC and ask them to check things out as a mate of mine had issues and there was some sort of bottleneck in the area and they sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

hey does anyone know how to open the NAT on the Cisco EPC2425

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

srumball wrote: »
    hey does anyone know how to open the NAT on the Cisco EPC2425
    Look up port forwarding guide.

I have an engineer calling out tomorrow.
    Something definitely not right with the router.
    I'll update accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Hopefully they have some good news sham69, i recently got a new 3925 modem and am still encountering these intermittent drops in connection, wireless and wired just go off!!

Very frustrating :(

• Advertisement

Was doing a few speed tests yesterday just to see if it settled down at all.
    I was getting 28mbps wireless and the missus was getting 14mbps 2 feet away from me in the same room as the router?
    Very strange.
    Hopefully today will sort it out..
    I will post with any news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

hi all just trying to log into the new cisco modem/router can someone please tell me how this is done all i want to do is change channel as a few of the neighbours are on the same channel so i want to pick one that on one is on cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

hi all just trying to log into the new cisco modem/router can someone please tell me how this is done all i want to do is change channel as a few of the neighbours are on the same channel so i want to pick one that on one is on cheers in advance

Just leave both the username and password fields blank and hit enter a few times ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Sorry forgot to update.
    "Engineer" came on Friday but I wasnt there.
    He changed the cable coming from the wall to the router and that was about it.
    He did say to the missus that most people with that router end up getting another wireless N and piggybacking off the cisco (due to the wifi range)
    He seemingly checked the range in the room I was having trouble with and said it was fine.
    On the plus side it does seem more stable wired and wireless, I don't think it has dropped once (streaming paused a few times but I don't know if it was the router causing the issue.)
    I checked the wifi range when I got home and the black spot was still the same.
    It was coming in at around 10mbps then dropping a bar of signal, then dropping another, then coming in at less than 1mb.
    I suppose the dropping has stopped so the only issue I am having is the wifi range.
    I am getting 48mbps wired on the mac and about 30mbps wireless in most rooms of the house so can't complain too much,
    I think I will buy a second router or get a homeplug with a wireless access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

sham69 wrote: »
    Sorry forgot to update.
    "Engineer" came on Friday but I wasnt there.
    He changed the cable coming from the wall to the router and that was about it.
    He did say to the missus that most people with that router end up getting another wireless N and piggybacking off the cisco (due to the wifi range)
    He seemingly checked the range in the room I was having trouble with and said it was fine.
    On the plus side it does seem more stable wired and wireless, I don't think it has dropped once (streaming paused a few times but I don't know if it was the router causing the issue.)
    I checked the wifi range when I got home and the black spot was still the same.
    It was coming in at around 10mbps then dropping a bar of signal, then dropping another, then coming in at less than 1mb.
    I suppose the dropping has stopped so the only issue I am having is the wifi range.
    I am getting 48mbps wired on the mac and about 30mbps wireless in most rooms of the house so can't complain too much,
    I think I will buy a second router or get a homeplug with a wireless access point.
    If I was to upgrade to the 50mb or 100mb, Do you think they'd send out the thompson router if I requested it? I depend on wireless function allot for an upstairs bedroom. I have the 2425 now and never had any problem with the wireless range but would like a faster package now with good wireless range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Hiya,

I have - really - tried to scan through almost 60 pages here :eek:
    But I couldn't really find a >definite< answer to the following:

I want to use my own router - like many others it appears. I currently have the 25 meg FibrePower option and a SA modem. This works grand with my routing setup ....

Now - I also want to go for UPCs 50/100 meg stuff, but I don't what to give up my own router :(

As far as I can read the Cisco wireless modem/router does not allow for neither bridging nor DMZ, but I could the wrong.
    The Thompson one does allow for DMZ - again AFAIK ....

SO the million € question: Does UPC offer a modem (w/o the router part) as an option or must one choose the Thompson (for the DMZ) to use ones own router ??
    .... or are there other options ....

Apologies for not being able to derive the answer myself from reading this massive post :rolleyes:

Cheers for your help lads,
    Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

1. Should I password protect it? What's the benefits of increased security versus the inconvenience of having to enter this password (do I need to enter it when setting up on other devices eg xbox).

2. Is it advisable to change the Wireless Network Name? Will it mess anything up? (eg .using bad characters).

2. Is it best to keep the radio band on the default 2.4GHz? I heard 5GHz could produce a weaker signal.

3. Do I ever need to update the firmware (currently epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc). If so how do I do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Stone wrote: »
    Hiya,

I have - really - tried to scan through almost 60 pages here :eek:
    But I couldn't really find a >definite< answer to the following:

I want to use my own router - like many others it appears. I currently have the 25 meg FibrePower option and a SA modem. This works grand with my routing setup ....

Now - I also want to go for UPCs 50/100 meg stuff, but I don't what to give up my own router :(

As far as I can read the Cisco wireless modem/router does not allow for neither bridging nor DMZ, but I could the wrong.
    The Thompson one does allow for DMZ - again AFAIK ....

SO the million € question: Does UPC offer a modem (w/o the router part) as an option or must one choose the Thompson (for the DMZ) to use ones own router ??
    .... or are there other options ....

Apologies for not being able to derive the answer myself from reading this massive post :rolleyes:

Cheers for your help lads,
    Stone

The cisco one, bridging was removed in an update, no idea why, though DMZ is still allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Stone wrote: »

They don't give you a choice at all. They will either provide the Thompson or the Cisco, you don't chose. There is no modem only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 AdventRises

Anyone else experiencing problems with NTL broadband tonight?

On a 25mb line and in west dublin. Went down suddenly for 15 minutes. Then came back on. Here is hoping it doesnt happen again.

Another update folks.
    Seems that the router may not be the issue, could be interference from somewhere.
    Speed is fin around most of the house and no dropping of signal happening anymore.
    I am still getting issues in the one room.
    I got a linksys wireless N router and just plugged ethernet from that to the cisco, disabled DHCP on the linksys and off I went.
    I am getting a great signal off it for my ipad but not the iphone.
    It keeps dropping to 2 bars, 1 bar, 3g etc.
    I think my next step is to change channels within the cisco settings and see how I get on.

It does seem that they are mainly giving the cisco 3925 with all 50/100mb upgrades as most of my friends have gotten them in the past week, well defo on the 50mb not so sure about the 100..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I got this piece of $hit at the weekend, UPC seemed to have disabled the old cable modem.

I had the old cable modem connected to a Netgear WNDR3300.

When I connected the UPC router I used its wireless features, it was getting pings of 144 and download speeds between 3-8mb.

I use wireless VOIP phones and the quality on them was rubbish as well.

I disabled the wireless settings on the cisco and connected the WNDR3300 to the cisco using the netgear as my wireless gateway. The pings are back to about 40, download speeds are 20mb+ (30mb package)

Speed test using cisco as wireless gateway
    http://speedtest.net/result/2008096021.png

Speed test using netgear WNDR3300 as wireless gateway connected to cisco router
    http://speedtest.net/result/2008144242.png

I dont know if the cisco is fit for purpose....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Anyone else have problems with upc since 2 days - dropping to 12kilo and after that speeding up to regular speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Just got UPC 50Mb yesterday. Am I missing something or is 802.11n non-existent on this EPC3925?

I had a search around different threads but can't seem to find anything explicitly stating it was disabled!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just got UPC 50Mb yesterday. Am I missing something or is 802.11n non-existent on this EPC3925?

I had a search around different threads but can't seem to find anything explicitly stating it was disabled!

My understanding from talking to UPC is that they supply the Cisco for 25 - 30 but change it out for the Thompson for customers on 50 - 100

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

My understanding from talking to UPC is that they supply the Cisco for 25 - 30 but change it out for the Thompson for customers on 50 - 100

Feckers. I'll have to go asking then!

This router seems to pick up every device except the iPad 1. I even enabled WMM according to other posts here but can't get it to pick it up.

Very odd.

Never mind. Got it working. Both laptops report that they are connecting to the router via 802.11n, as do both of my Android smartphones. Dunno about the iPad, but since it's all connecting properly, I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

Hi folks,

Got the cisco 3925 yesterday. Wasted an entire evening with it last night trying to get it up and running :mad:

3 major issues:

1.) My old Thompson modem (the small navy blue plastic one from the ntl days) worked great until I unplugged it yesterday. Do UPC disable these without notice once the courier you a new modem? I would go back to that in a heartbeat as it supported bridging to my own router.)

2.) Initially I could get a solid signal which then kept dropping. Spoke to Tier 2 support - turns out I should have been sent a newer splitter as they don't support my current one (which I got back in the ntl days.) New one on the way today. For the time being I can only watch TV or use broadband which is a pain in the arse. Again not a problem with the old modem.

3.) Bridging mode is disabled on the 3925 - which means for the moment I can't use my Netgear WNDR3700v2 for routing. Support told me to just use the Cisc 3925 - eh no! Does anyone have any solid workarounds to enabling bridging on the 3925?

I just got a text saying I've been upgraded from 30MB to 60MB - I wonder if the old modem would support the speed increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

To answer your first question, no they don't and they also can't, your modem is either dead or some settings are incorrect.

For the second, it wasn't a question, but you will be fine after you get the splitter.

For the third, there is some way to do with using DMZ but I have never tried it do I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

White_Wolf wrote: »
    To answer your first question, no they don't and they also can't, your modem is either dead or some settings are incorrect.

For the second, it wasn't a question, but you will be fine after you get the splitter.

For the third, there is some way to do with using DMZ but I have never tried it do I dont know.

thanks for clarifying re: disabling the old modem - I don't think the old modem is dead - I just disconnected it and plugged in the other one. The strange thing is the lights on the modem all look normal. I can also get to the main modem gateway page via 192.168.100.1 - but then rather than assigning IP's on the 192.X.X.X range it seems to switch to the IP 10.250.160.1 which doesn't look right?

Hi all can someone please tell me how I can log onto the Cisco home page for the latest UPC router

UPC 3925 log on please help is it 192.168.1.10 ????? Please help I just want to change password cheers all in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Anyone else finding the wireless connection drops quite frequently with the Cisco EPC3925?

• Advertisement

UPC 3925 log on please help is it 192.168.1.10 ????? Please help I just want to change password cheers all in advance

Open a command prompt and type in ipconfig. Default gateway is the login address you're looking for.

Advertisement