Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Is there anyway we could have some kind of survey filled out by EPC2425/3925 users, and actually try and make something constructive out of this issue?

Such a survey could include settings like:

2.4GHZ or 5GHZ
    20mhz band or 40mhz band.
    Computer using wireles G or wireless N

etc... etc....

Its about the only way we could find out which specific setting can help the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ct_roy wrote: »

3.) Bridging mode is disabled on the 3925 - which means for the moment I can't use my Netgear WNDR3700v2 for routing. Support told me to just use the Cisc 3925 - eh no! Does anyone have any solid workarounds to enabling bridging on the 3925?

I just got a text saying I've been upgraded from 30MB to 60MB - I wonder if the old modem would support the speed increase?

They provision the modems so no doubt the system took up the new one "as you" and the old one is now fit for the bin.

I'm using a WNDR3800 myself, you cant bridge, but you can set it up with a DMZ. I think a guide is worth posting, will do it up tonight if I get around to it. Reasonably simple to do.
    mang0 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding the wireless connection drops quite frequently with the Cisco EPC3925?

Yeah, thats probably the terrible antenna.
    waveform wrote: »
    Is there anyway we could have some kind of survey filled out by EPC2425/3925 users, and actually try and make something constructive out of this issue?

Such a survey could include settings like:

2.4GHZ or 5GHZ
    20mhz band or 40mhz band.
    Computer using wireles G or wireless N

etc... etc....

Its about the only way we could find out which specific setting can help the issue.

You're coming at it wrong. There is no one setting. Its all dependent on your own personal circumstances. What a good router does is on boot scans the full spectrum, finds the channel with the least noise and selects that.

Where you have an area with a lot of electromagnetic activity(say appartments for example) then 5Ghz is a good option as it uses a quieter band. BUT, its shorter ranged.

The solution is to do as above and use a proper router. Its unfortunate that the best ISP in the country ships out such muck, for a few bob extra per install they could get something decent and reduce CS tickets dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

ED E wrote: »
    I'm using a WNDR3800 myself, you cant bridge, but you can set it up with a DMZ. I think a guide is worth posting, will do it up tonight if I get around to it. Reasonably simple to do.

that would be fantastic if you get the time Ed :)

Didnt get round to it yesterday but imma mock something up after dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Just got an iPhone 4 yesterday, and spent ages wondering why it couldn't see my EPC3925 router/network. Didn't realise the 4 (or indeed the 4S) won't work with a 5GHz network, and the EPC3925 won't do both bands simultaneously. The iPad works fine though.

Also have been seeing a weird issue ever since I installed the router. Every 10-20 minutes, the iPad just stops connecting to the internet. No error, the signal is very strong, but nothing loads. If I turn Wifi off and on again it'll be perfect again... for 20 minutes or so.

I've also seen the same behaviour with my Macbook. The weird thing is, both devices disconnect at different times. I set both devices up with manual settings to rule out DHCP as a cause.

This only started happening since I got the EPC3925 & 100Mbps broadband package.

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Also have been seeing a weird issue ever since I installed the router. Every 10-20 minutes, the iPad just stops connecting to the internet. No error, the signal is very strong, but nothing loads. If I turn Wifi off and on again it'll be perfect again... for 20 minutes or so.

I've also seen the same behaviour with my Macbook. The weird thing is, both devices disconnect at different times. I set both devices up with manual settings to rule out DHCP as a cause.

This only started happening since I got the EPC3925 & 100Mbps broadband package.

Its a POS router but it shouldnt be doing that. Static IPs will cause more grief though, wouldnt do that.

ED E wrote: »
    Its a POS router but it shouldnt be doing that. Static IPs will cause more grief though, wouldnt do that.

Just what you want to hear about your newly installed kit! ;) What's the issue with static IP addresses, address conflicts?

Just tried speed tests too, and on SpeedTest.net I'm seeing 50Mbps (a long way off 100Mbps, but still I wouldn't mind if I actually ever saw that in real life!). On a big download from ftp.heanet.ie, I'm seeing 15Mbps max. Is there an alternative modem/router that UPC can offer?

Funny how the old SmartTelecom 20Mbps package I had several years back is still faster in real life than the "100Mbps" from UPC :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I am still having issues with my newly installed 50mb with cisco 3925.
    Speeds are fine, getting 58Mbps wired and about 30 wireless.
    If the damn thing didnt disconnect every now and then I would be fine.
    A new thing that is happening now is when I go to view a web page on my Imac (which I have wired and wireless, not sure if I should have it that way or not) it takes forever to load the page but if I disconnect the wifi it works great.
    Then if I go to browse again after a break of a few mins it doesnt work and i have to turn the wifi on again?
    Strange to say the least.

the other thing I noticed, when I check the wired ip on my mac and check it in the list of devices in the router it doesnt show when set to DHCP but if I give it a static IP it shows up, but the same problem continues with the disconnecting and slow web browsing.
    I really don't know what to do now, 80 euro a month for this service is unacceptable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

My UPC 25mb Pooped out last night. Came home from work and no power at all in the modem, its the EPC2425.

Tried plugging it in in every socket and no response. Not sure if its the plug or the modem.

No internet now til they call out on Friday!!

I feel lost!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I switched to UPC's 50mb+ broadband package recently and they sent me out a Thompson router. It was tough to navigate but worked fine (once set up) with all my devices but one laptop. I assumed it was the router as the laptop had no issues staying connected to any other wifi networks.

Then a month after I got it, they called me and advised me they'd like to upgrade my router as my old one wasn't compatible with 50mb+ speeds. I knew this wasn't correct as the Thompson was fine with it since my upgrade. The guy calling didn't seem to realise I was already on the 50mb+ service.

Thinking the Thompson was the cause of the issues with my laptop, and having heard the Cisco was a better router online and from a chap in work, I agreed to take the new modem and give back the Thompson. Unfortunately I'm now barely seeing the wifi signal in my bedroom (about 15 feet and two very thin apartment walls away from the antenna-less router) and my phone often won't get a full wifi signal when in the same room as the router only a few feet away. To rub salt in the would, my laptop still won't stay connected to my home wifi.

Why would UPC go out of their way to downgrade my router? Has anyone successfully talked them into getting a more suitable replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Aye, it'd be very handy. Thanks in advance.

sham69 wrote: »
    I am still having issues with my newly installed 50mb with cisco 3925.
    Speeds are fine, getting 58Mbps wired and about 30 wireless.
    If the damn thing didnt disconnect every now and then I would be fine.
    A new thing that is happening now is when I go to view a web page on my Imac (which I have wired and wireless, not sure if I should have it that way or not) it takes forever to load the page but if I disconnect the wifi it works great.
    Then if I go to browse again after a break of a few mins it doesnt work and i have to turn the wifi on again?
    Strange to say the least.

the other thing I noticed, when I check the wired ip on my mac and check it in the list of devices in the router it doesnt show when set to DHCP but if I give it a static IP it shows up, but the same problem continues with the disconnecting and slow web browsing.
    I really don't know what to do now, 80 euro a month for this service is unacceptable IMO.

Sounds very much like what I'm seeing, both with my Mac & iPad.

They connect fine, perfect signal. But they both seem to 'disconnect' after a few minutes. No error message, the page just keeps loading..loading...loading.. If I turn Wifi off and on again on the Mac/iPad, it'll be fine. The weird thing is though, often my Mac can connect while the iPad can't; and vice versa.

Oh, and your 50Mbps router is substantially faster than my "100"Mbps. Grrrrrr.

mang0 wrote: »
    Aye, it'd be very handy. Thanks in advance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79448674#post79448674

Hope its of use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I just got a new 3925 today, old router died and they send me this.

It's horrid, cannot seem to improve wireless speeds at all, I feel like smashing the **** out of it.

I still have the Scientific Atlanta 2203 modem from ages ago, and it works fine.
    DPC2203.jpg

Am I better off just getting a new router and using the old modem and throwing the piece of ****e 3925 i the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Seaneh wrote: »
    I just got a new 3925 today, old router died and they send me this.

It's horrid, cannot seem to improve wireless speeds at all, I feel like smashing the **** out of it.

I still have the Scientific Atlanta 2203 modem from ages ago, and it works fine.
    DPC2203.jpg

Am I better off just getting a new router and using the old modem and throwing the piece of ****e 3925 i the bin?

What speed package are you on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

30mg I assume, just moved into a house share, they had the modem from the picture above running with a netgear router but the router packed in so UPC sent them the new Cisco EPC3925 to replace it.

I'f it was above 30mb they would have sent the Thompson AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 limericklofty

hi,
    I'm hoping somebody here can help or at least steer me in the right direction.
    I have recently installed cctv in small shop. my intention was that when I was not there I would still be able to see what was going on using a remote surveillance app on my samsung galaxy s2.

alas life is never simple.
    The person who said it was possible and installed cameras has left the country.

Security firm i asked have given me option of getting static Ip address or a new dvr (at cost of €400)

UPC who I am in a 12 month contract with have said they only deal with dynamic IP addresses.

I'm quiet happily ignorant about the whole tech side of things and am quiet willing to pay somebody to set up whatever configurations are necessary (though I do think €400 is excessive)

I have a Cisco EPC 3925 which was provided by UPC.

I would really appreciate any advice on this (in as laymans terms as possible!)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

hi,
    I have recently installed cctv in small shop. my intention was that when I was not there I would still be able to see what was going on using a remote surveillance app on my samsung galaxy s2.

alas life is never simple.
    The person who said it was possible and installed cameras has left the country.

Security firm i asked have given me option of getting static Ip address or a new dvr (at cost of €400)

UPC who I am in a 12 month contract with have said they only deal with dynamic IP addresses.

I'm quiet happily ignorant about the whole tech side of things and am quiet willing to pay somebody to set up whatever configurations are necessary (though I do think €400 is excessive)

I have a Cisco EPC 3925 which was provided by UPC.

I would really appreciate any advice on this (in as laymans terms as possible!)

I think, something like this should do the job...

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/security_cameras/20127899/d_link_dcs_942l_wireless_n_network_camera/details.aspx

You should basically search for IP camera with Android or iOS support, also SD card and infra is handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 limericklofty

Thanks Martynet
    Are you suggesting I need new cameras or dvr?
    I should have specified I purchased a DS7200 HVI-ST series dvr with the cameras originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

hi,

I did a few cctv network setups...basically it's very simple, you just forward HTTP traffic to the DVR and you are done

• Advertisement

Thanks Martynet
    Are you suggesting I need new cameras or dvr?
    I should have specified I purchased a DS7200 HVI-ST series dvr with the cameras originally.

All you need is a dynamic DNS service. This means that asillywebaddress.tld always = your IP. You then plug that ddns address into your app and away you go.

Update - my speed problems with the 3925 are seemingly due a signal problem into my apartment building (another UPC customer in the same building also complained).

Hopefully there should be someone looking at that tomorrow. So I've gone from disappointment that a 100Mbps line only yields 20Mbps speeds, to looking forward to 100Mbps tomorrow and perhaps 120Mbps over the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi, Im on 30 MB UPC in Bray on a Cisco EPC3925 and ever since our landlord switched providers I have to choose between browsing the internet or downloading torrents, cant do both with any torrent app I try, doesn't matter what speed either, they'll motor along at 1.5 - 2 MB/sec if I let them and no website will load, or I could throttle them to 5 kb/sec with the same result.

The pages completely fail to load aswell like no internet connection not slowly like they're starved for bandwidth. Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

Hi buddy I had the same problem a while back when I was downloading torrents I could not do anything else on the web so I looked on the web and found a setting to
    Change on the modem log on page now I can surf and d load with easy peace

Re-update! A UPC technician called out unannounced today (I was told someone might be working in the street this week, but not needing access to the building).

Very friendly and helpful, but ultimately ran through similar tests to the previous technician (confirmed I have a 3925, looked at the router status page, ran a speed test, then looked at the building's cable box) and came to the same realisation that the fault is outside the building, so a footpath needs to be dug up and the fault examined.

Annoyingly, the speeds were slightly higher in testing than I normally see, so there was a bit of 'sure those speeds are good, better than I'd get at home', but in fairness to him when leaving he assured the problem would be fixed over the next week.

You'd think they'd save themselves a fortune if they better kept a record of what each technician does. 2 technicians were at my building today just confirming what the previous technician found. As a software dev, I'm tempted to think there's a business opportunity there, for some field issue reporting/logging package! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi buddy I had the same problem a while back when I was downloading torrents I could not do anything else on the web so I looked on the web and found a setting to
    Change on the modem log on page now I can surf and d load with easy peace
    Brilliant stuff thanks for replying, any clue what setting needs changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Hi All,

I recently upgraded from a package I had with upc for the last 2 years.

I did have 25mb BB, along with phone and tv.

I upgraded to 50mb BB, with better tv package and phone again. When i was using the 25 mb connection, my wireless speeds were always around 22mb and sometimes above, never had any issue. The service was excellent.

Since we have upgraded to 50mb, we got the new router epc3925 to replace our last one. Direct connection is no problem, but the max wireless that im now getting is 18mb. Now the first couple of weeks, it was about 7 or 8 mb but they replaced the epc3925 with another one, same model. It since has improved but maxes at 18mb wireless.

Im have a new dell xps, and when im in a friends house, i am getting 32/33 mb wireless off his 35mb connection. So, obviosly the problem isn't my laptop. I have used inssider to check out wireless channels, any whatever i have changed to has made no difference. Is there anything else I can try?

I find it strange that I was getting a faster wireless on the last router, surely this would rule out the connection into the house if i was getting faster speeds on the last router i had.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi tony1980, there are a few possibilities (apart from the obvious "something is physically wrong with the router") :)

The new router's Wifi might be set to a different channel. If your neighbours are using the same channel, there will likely be interference and speeds will drop. (In my apartment, I can pick up 22 different Wifi networks, it's getting kind of crowded!). There should be lots of utilities out there which will show you a list of nearby networks and the channel they're on (sorry I can't recommend one, Mac user here) so you can pick a channel that's not being used. UPC seem to be putting everyone on channel 11 for some reason, which will obviously cause a problem if lots of neighbours have UPC broadband!

You typically need to be using an "N" router (the 3925 is one), to get over about 20Mbps. There's a setting for Wide/40MHz channels which can potentially double your data rate (up to a theoretical max of about 300Mbps); however this may not work well if your router is set to the 2.4GHz frequency. It should work fine if you set your router to the 5GHz frequency. And just to further confuse things - lots of devices (such as the iPhone) can't connect to 5GHz routers, so you might not be able to use the 5GHz frequency.

Thanks Who_me,

I have used Inssider and have changed my wifi channel on the new router to one which nobody else is on in the area.

They replaced the new router with another epc3925 and the direct connection speeds are over 60mb. Mt laptop has wireless "N".

I didn't think I would have to use the 5 GHZ, I could give that a try using 40 MHz channels, although I thought 5 GHz was supposed to be slower but no harm in trying!

Thanks for the quick response Who_me :)

• Advertisement

I think I got it, I have a Dell XPS L502X, with a Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 bgn+ Bluetooth).
    The bluetooth is causing the problem, when I switched it off, then my wireless speed hit 49mb. :D

Advertisement