Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I have an Atheros AR9285 built in wireless adaptor, does anybody know if this is wireless N capable. I can only achieve about 20mb over wireless on a 30mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

tony1980 wrote: »
    Thanks Who_me,

I have used Inssider and have changed my wifi channel on the new router to one which nobody else is on in the area.

They replaced the new router with another epc3925 and the direct connection speeds are over 60mb. Mt laptop has wireless "N".

I didn't think I would have to use the 5 GHZ, I could give that a try using 40 MHz channels, although I thought 5 GHz was supposed to be slower but no harm in trying!

Thanks for the quick response Who_me :)

5GHz allows for less interference (for the near future at least) and faster speeds. Bluetooth also operates in the 2.4GHz band - as you figured out in your other post! - so switching to 5GHz will probably help there too. It never clicked with me to check for Bluetooth interference, I was focused on your router. :) Glad you got it sorted.

The downsides with 5GHz are shorter range (not an issue in many typical small Irish homes) and many devices don't yet support them. I believe you can get routers which work simultaneously at 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but the 3925 isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

tony1980 wrote: »
    I think I got it, I have a Dell XPS L502X, with a Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 bgn+ Bluetooth).
    The bluetooth is causing the problem, when I switched it off, then my wireless speed hit 49mb. :D
    Hmm! Interesting! So the WiFi and Bluetooth are contending for 2.4GHz bandwidth. Not good! :(

Slightly off topic ... my Dad's cordless telephone handset batteries weren't lasting very long before needing a re-charge so my brother took a few of them away. He had five handsets so he'd hear it ring and get to it in time regardless of where he was in the house. Now, with just two handsets, the batteries last a more reasonable time although still not optimum. We suspect that there is still contention with neighbours' cordless phones and WiFi: one of the main reasons I limit my reliance on cordless and wireless technology preferring to use wired where possible.

Have you tried a (temporary) wired solution to see if it really is the Bluetooth vying with the WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hmm! Interesting! So the WiFi and Bluetooth are contending for 2.4GHz bandwidth. Not good! :(

Slightly off topic ... my Dad's cordless telephone handset batteries weren't lasting very long before needing a re-charge so my brother took a few of them away. He had five handsets so he'd hear it ring and get to it in time regardless of where he was in the house. Now, with just two handsets, the batteries last a more reasonable time although still not optimum. We suspect that there is still contention with neighbours' cordless phones and WiFi: one of the main reasons I limit my reliance on cordless and wireless technology preferring to use wired where possible.

Have you tried a (temporary) wired solution to see if it really is the Bluetooth vying with the WiFi?

They contend for the aerial, they both share use of the metal rim of the flat panel.

RE your phones, that sounds like they're pinging on a regular interval, and having so many means 5 checkins every minute say instead of 2. If you were to get a system designed for larger number of phones that might help sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭billyfromdublin

can anyone tell me if the epc3925 is gigabit or just 10/100 ???

cheers

• Advertisement

Anyone know how to stop a 2425 rebooting itself once a day?
    when this happens the 'ds' light will flash for about an hr before i can achieve connectivity again, i've lived with this for a few months now, it's getting annoying now.

mark17j wrote: »
    Anyone know how to stop a 2425 rebooting itself once a day?
    when this happens the 'ds' light will flash for about an hr before i can achieve connectivity again, i've lived with this for a few months now, it's getting annoying now.

Sounds like its IP Renewing.

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like its IP Renewing.
    This only started happening within the last few months, haven't changed any settings either - still have the same ip address for the last 2 years, nothing changed there.
    would the modem be faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

can anyone tell me if the epc3925 is gigabit or just 10/100 ???

cheers

It's Gigabit alright:D

mark17j wrote: »
    This only started happening within the last few months, haven't changed any settings either - still have the same ip address for the last 2 years, nothing changed there.
    would the modem be faulty?

Just cause you renew doesnt mean it changes btw, but yeah, could be faulty, could be something they changed remotely(UPC have full access). Could even be something on your end DDOSing your own router with a packet flood.

You could request a 3925 from UPC, but its **** WIFI wise compared to its predecessor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

my 2425 has crap wifi signal, any ideas on how to boost it. when in same room its fine, but as soon as i go to kitchen its dirt. i dont live in a concrete house either so dont know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I wish I had seen this thread before I rang UPC to get a new modem. I had the Webstar modem and any I had to unplug it, it would freeze on me. I managed to talk UPC into giving me a replacement and received it yesterday (Cisco 3925). I installed it last night and then I couldn't connect to the web wirelessly or wired. They've re-enabled my Webstar modem and there's a technician calling on Monday. From reading all the posts here I might tell them take back the Cisco and can I hold onto the Webstar. I have terrible trouble at the moment with Wifi, I'm using a Netgear router and I think that's the problem. By the sounds of it I'll have more trouble with the Cisco.
    Does anyone know if UPC will take back the Cisco and let me keep the Webstar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Is anybody else having problems accessing the modem page for their 2425? Can't get into mine at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Is anybody else having problems accessing the modem page for their 2425? Can't get into mine at all...
    If you're having problems accessing your own modem interface that would be a local problem, not related to anyone else on UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Psychonautalus

I'm having the same issue but i also gained temporary access to ALL the modems features!!! But i now can't get to anything other than basic info.

I made a thread about it here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056702361

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Stephen P wrote: »
    I wish I had seen this thread before I rang UPC to get a new modem. I had the Webstar modem and any I had to unplug it, it would freeze on me. I managed to talk UPC into giving me a replacement and received it yesterday (Cisco 3925). I installed it last night and then I couldn't connect to the web wirelessly or wired. They've re-enabled my Webstar modem and there's a technician calling on Monday. From reading all the posts here I might tell them take back the Cisco and can I hold onto the Webstar. I have terrible trouble at the moment with Wifi, I'm using a Netgear router and I think that's the problem. By the sounds of it I'll have more trouble with the Cisco.
    Does anyone know if UPC will take back the Cisco and let me keep the Webstar?

I had terrible problems with wifi on the Cisco until I followed this thread and it's been great since - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79448674#post79448674

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thanks for that, I'll give it a ago.

I currently have my Netgear Router attached to it and it's not bad so far, I turned off the Wifi on the Cisco. What's the difference in doing that and doing what's outlined in the link you gave?
    mang0 wrote: »
    I had terrible problems with wifi on the Cisco until I followed this thread and it's been great since - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79448674#post79448674

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Er, not sure. I didn't think it was as easy as just attaching the Netgear router but if that's working then leave well enough alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here,
    The past two or so month's my internet speed as has been very sporadic going from say 12mbs to 16 and 20 jumping back and forth and any where in between.

It's fairly annoying as my ping goes crazy, if im gaming and webpage's are constantly not opening properly i reset my modem by holding the reset button for 20 sec's and it seemed to stabilize for a few days but its still bouncing around a fair bit.

And im meant to be getting 25mb since the free upgrade but im still jumping around the 17-20 mark.

could my modem be bust or some thing ?

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out here,
    The past two or so month's my internet speed as has been very sporadic going from say 12mbs to 16 and 20 jumping back and forth and any where in between.

It's fairly annoying as my ping goes crazy, if im gaming and webpage's are constantly not opening properly i reset my modem by holding the reset button for 20 sec's and it seemed to stabilize for a few days but its still bouncing around a fair bit.

And im meant to be getting 25mb since the free upgrade but im still jumping around the 17-20 mark.

could my modem be bust or some thing ?

That 16-20Mbps seems to be some kind of 'magic' speed range. I had the 30Mbps package and was getting that speed. I upgraded to 100Mbps (and now, I believe, 120Mbps) and am still getting the same download speeds.

Are you using Wifi or Ethernet to connect to your router? Ethernet is the best option, if practical, then 5GHz Wifi N, then 2.4GHz Wifi N, etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Anybody losing DNS via the 3925? I keep on losing it every 5-10 minutes for about 30 seconds.

Quite irritating. I'm on the 50 meg package in Cork City.

Weird.. after weeks of getting 20Mbps on my 120Mbps package, on Friday I tried some downloads, and was getting a little over 32Mbps. Then I tried a second simultaneous download, and that too was getting 32Mbps - so about 65Mbps in total.

That's a bit more like it - but it'll be a little annoying it you can't get (anything like) the full download speed with a single download - that's why I upgraded in the first place.

who_me wrote: »
    Weird.. after weeks of getting 20Mbps on my 120Mbps package, on Friday I tried some downloads, and was getting a little over 32Mbps. Then I tried a second simultaneous download, and that too was getting 32Mbps - so about 65Mbps in total.

That's a bit more like it - but it'll be a little annoying it you can't get (anything like) the full download speed with a single download - that's why I upgraded in the first place.

How are you testing it. Try grabbing a large ISO from HEANET or just use speedtest.net.

Also, are you on wireless?

ED E wrote: »
    How are you testing it. Try grabbing a large ISO from HEANET or just use speedtest.net.

Also, are you on wireless?

Yup thanks, I'm following the advice earlier in the thread; downloading large files from ftp.heanet.ie. Always using Ethernet. I just find it strange how the speed seems so consistently in the 16Mbps - 20Mbps range; then on rare occasions I can get downloads of 32Mbps+, and then it returns back to 16-20.

I've had a couple of call-outs, and they said there's a problem with the line into the building; but they've dug up the footpath outside since and there's been little change (bar a temporary outage).

It's just weird that several people are reporting that same bandwidth range, regardless of their stated broadband package. I'm almost starting to believe the conspiracy theories - UPC are throttling users to that speed at peak times?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

How would I set up the EPC3925 for ps3 online gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

im in the same situation as lone stone, can never even get above 20mps, normally around 15-18 mps, should be getting 30mps really dont know whats wrong

its weird i get the right upload, but the download is always around half

im having signal problems with the epc 2425, the difference between wired and wireless is huge, with wired i get http://speedtest.net/result/2095378161.png

i when i go wireless( 1 foot away) i get http://www.speedtest.net/result/2097706229.png

anyone know what the reason is

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

ugglasdav wrote: »
    im having signal problems with the epc 2425, the difference between wired and wireless is huge, with wired i get http://speedtest.net/result/2095378161.png

i when i go wireless( 1 foot away) i get http://www.speedtest.net/result/2097706229.png

anyone know what the reason is

Perhaps there's something wrong with the wireless adapter in your computer. Have you done a test with any other devices?

• Advertisement

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Perhaps there's something wrong with the wireless adapter in your computer. Have you done a test with any other devices?

yea same results, also is there anyway you get get the router moved from say downstairs to upstairs?

Advertisement