Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ugglasdav wrote: »
    im having signal problems with the epc 2425, the difference between wired and wireless is huge, with wired i get http://speedtest.net/result/2095378161.png

i when i go wireless( 1 foot away) i get http://www.speedtest.net/result/2097706229.png

anyone know what the reason is

Any legacy devices around?

EDIT: Actually, thats what you should be getting. You need to go wireless N if you wanna use the full connection. Wifi is shíte, nobody ever understands that.

Router needs to be near to a cable point, so unless you(aka get them to) run a new line in from the nipple on your eave(if there is one) then no you can move it. Get a good wireless N router and bridge like my guide. Wham bam.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

The EPC3925 is the greatest load of muck! UPC should be ashamed of themselves! After 5 years with a netgear wireless router/cable modem combination, it started acting up a few weeks ago and the UPC guys came out. Replaced the two units with the EPC3925. Coverage is truly appalling.

Anyway, my question is: what wireless routers do people recommend using with the EPC3925 to extend the wi-fi range, provided of course that I am able to disable the wireless on it? Thanks.

The EPC3925 is the greatest load of muck! UPC should be ashamed of themselves! After 5 years with a netgear wireless router/cable modem combination, it started acting up a few weeks ago and the UPC guys came out. Replaced the two units with the EPC3925. Coverage is truly appalling.

Anyway, my question is: what wireless routers do people recommend using with the EPC3925 to extend the wi-fi range, provided of course that I am able to disable the wireless on it? Thanks.

Check out the "bridging guide".

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jocall99

Ok my upc was working fine till this morning now I have a constant yellow triangle on my wireless sign and the same when connected with Ethernet, my phone and ps3 still have the internet but this does not. I have ramg upc they say everything looks fine but it aint. I have power cycled and reset the modem I have restarded and shut down my laptop to no avail. It isnt my laptop as it is 2)3 weeka old and a Dell can anyone help me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Right click the wireless symbol and click Troubleshoot Problems, it'll run a few tests and reset the adapter which may sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Incidentally, is there any reason why the EPC3925 has no external antenna?

The similar UPC box it replaced had one; my old Belkin N router has two! Yet the manual states none is necessary with the EPC3925 - and then its signal is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

who_me wrote: »
    Incidentally, is there any reason why the EPC3925 has no external antenna?

The similar UPC box it replaced had one; my old Belkin N router has two! Yet the manual states none is necessary with the EPC3925 - and then its signal is very poor.

The EPC3925 has an internal antenna and is much better then its predecessor on the wireless front. While external antennas might look like a better product it's not always the case.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Recently added phone/BB to my UPC package and also having problems with this cisco router, namely with the wifi range. Have older house with solid walls and it just cannot get through them and wifi connection drops on laptop, iphone etc. My Huawei router from Vodafone seems to have a much better range.
    Anyway, contacted UPC and they are sending me out a Thompson router to test. Is it any better in terms of wifi range?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Hey,

I'm having some speed issues with this router/Upc. When I connect my laptop directly to the router I'm getting 30 odd mbps on speedtest.net. Wirelessly it fluctuates a lot, I can get 1.8 onetime and 10 the next. It's only started to be like this the last few days. I used inssider and moved my router to unused channels but it doesn't seem to do much. Is there any options I can tinker in the Cisco control panel to help with this, any advice? Thanks. And also is 54mbps the max this router can put out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 legalizblack

I have a Cisco epc3925 and while downloading speed was very poor so I turned the power off, left it for about 1 min and then turned it back on.... All the lights look ok... Laptop and iPhone connect to the router but no Internet.... Logged into it... And everything seems ok... Not that I know too much about it.... Checked the speed with inSSIDer and it looks good but still no Internet. The light that should go on when you a device connected is off. Anyone know what could be the problem?? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Hi guys, I'm looking for a little bit of help. I have the Cisco EP2425 router and I'm having troubles connecting two Xbox 360s at the same time. The first can always connect without a problem but then another cannot connect after the first has already done so. Is there any way to fix this because I'm fit to ****ing explode at the moment.

Ryan451 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking for a little bit of help. I have the Cisco EP2425 router and I'm having troubles connecting two Xbox 360s at the same time. The first can always connect without a problem but then another cannot connect after the first has already done so. Is there any way to fix this because I'm fit to ****ing explode at the moment.

Are they set to static IPs perhaps? Wireless or wired?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

ED E wrote: »
    Are they set to static IPs perhaps? Wireless or wired?

One is set to static IP as I have forwarded some ports for that xbox. The other is just set to automatic. The static IP must be wired and I have tried both wired and wireless with the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Hei guys... Haven't been here for a while... Is there any new about switching EPC3925 to bridge mode, or is it still impossible?

Ryan451 wrote: »
    One is set to static IP as I have forwarded some ports for that xbox. The other is just set to automatic. The static IP must be wired and I have tried both wired and wireless with the other one.

If you're port forwarding it will never work AFAIK. The port forwards theoretically will help performance but really it works fine with stock settings, and in that case both should work just fine.
    Martynet wrote: »
    Hei guys... Haven't been here for a while... Is there any new about switching EPC3925 to bridge mode, or is it still impossible?

See the guide thread, it can be done with use of DMZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Hi Guys,

Im trying to setup an ftp server in Windows 7. Everything is working fine locally its when I try to go use the public IP i get problems. I've set the router to forward port 21 and enter the local IP of the host computer setting protocol to both (ftp is not available). However this does not work. The only way i could get it to work externally was to enable DMZ. Obviously I'd rather avoid this as it leaves me wide open.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jhet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

hey folks, got upc's 30mbps deal with the cisco 3925 router and am getting 30+ mbps with a lan cable, 7-10mbps wireless (tested right next to router). i realize that UPC have locked the router's firmware and the driver on my trusty old Dell D600, (no N standard!) is the latest. i moved the channel so as not to interfere with next door so apart from moving the router up stairs is there any way to get a better signal from the actual router itself (i don't game, just regular web download & streaming). ta

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    hey folks, got upc's 30mbps deal with the cisco 3925 router and am getting 30+ mbps with a lan cable, 7-10mbps wireless (tested right next to router). i realize that UPC have locked the router's firmware and the driver on my trusty old Dell D600, (no N standard!) is the latest. i moved the channel so as not to interfere with next door so apart from moving the router up stairs is there any way to get a better signal from the actual router itself (i don't game, just regular web download & streaming). ta

Its most likely the Wifi card in your laptop. You could replace it, but such an old box, I wouldnt bother, its really time for an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Folks, the UPC3925 has gone on the blink. Cuts out very 30 mins. Engineer arriving in the morning to do swap. Is there a better router/modem that I should ask for? Thanks in advance.

jolly wrote: »
    Folks, the UPC3925 has gone on the blink. Cuts out very 30 mins. Engineer arriving in the morning to do swap. Is there a better router/modem that I should ask for? Thanks in advance.

Try the thompson that they give 100Meg customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just wondering if anyone can help, I've the 3925 modem/router with UPC, we've at least a 30mb connection, I think it may have been upgraded recently, but we don't get anywhere near those download speeds. I'm downloading Guild Wars 2 currently using a powerline adapter and only getting about 900KB/s at the moment, which is well below what the connection should allow. Is there any steps I can take to try and increase the speed? Not really familiar with this networking carry on, so not sure if more detail is needed. We also have a Netgear wireless box that UPC gave us but I'm not connected using that at the moment.

Edit - I should add that in the past it ran perfectly, we always got the speed we were supposed to. Not sure what's changed to cause the speed to drop.

Edit2 - Just rang UPC, we're supposed to be on the 60mb package. I believe there's a new router for the 100mb package? Might just upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

There shouldn't be a speed issue with the older router in the case of wired connections, not to that degree anyway, and not even with powerline adapters, I have 4 myself and can get full 30+ meg d/l speeds. There are plenty of possibilities but try ruling out one by one. Start by wiring directly in to the router, ensuring only 1 laptop/pc is on and no wireless devices are connected and see what you get.

danthefan wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can help, I've the 3925 modem/router with UPC, we've at least a 30mb connection, I think it may have been upgraded recently, but we don't get anywhere near those download speeds. I'm downloading Guild Wars 2 currently using a powerline adapter and only getting about 900KB/s at the moment, which is well below what the connection should allow. Is there any steps I can take to try and increase the speed? Not really familiar with this networking carry on, so not sure if more detail is needed. We also have a Netgear wireless box that UPC gave us but I'm not connected using that at the moment.

Edit - I should add that in the past it ran perfectly, we always got the speed we were supposed to. Not sure what's changed to cause the speed to drop.

Edit2 - Just rang UPC, we're supposed to be on the 60mb package. I believe there's a new router for the 100mb package? Might just upgrade.

Thats probably just the host being busy/limited.

Try grabbing a .iso disk image from HEANET, that's a better test, or just speedtest.net.

For me, over the last couple of weeks the UPC speed has become far worse; and very inconsistent. I'm on a 120Mbps package, Speedtest.net tells me download speeds of 6Mbps, speedtest.upc.ie reports 65Mbps (hah!). To be honest, it doesn't even feel like 6Mbps, it feels slower.

Trying to watch a '240p' video on Youtube and it won't play through without buffering. Other times a page takes ages to load to fully appear, but then once I start playing a video it loads very quickly. Thought it might be a DNS issue, but that's unlikely.

Guess it's time to call them out again. Maybe they'll 'boost the signal'. :(

danthefan wrote: »

I've the 120Mbps package, and the 3925 router; so I don't think you'll necessarily get a different router if you upgrade.

That said, as I said above my speed lately has been horribly inconsistent too.

Maybe confirm first it's not just a slow server you're downloading from.

For me, over the last couple of weeks the UPC speed has become far worse; and very inconsistent. I'm on a 120Mbps package, Speedtest.net tells me download speeds of 6Mbps, speedtest.upc.ie reports 65Mbps (hah!). To be honest, it doesn't even feel like 6Mbps, it feels slower.

Trying to watch a '240p' video on Youtube and it won't play through without buffering. Other times a page takes ages to load to fully appear, but then once I start playing a video it loads very quickly. Thought it might be a DNS issue, but that's unlikely.

Guess it's time to call them out again. Maybe they'll 'boost the signal'. :(

Youtube is a whole other problem, see the thread on that.

"Speedtest.net tells me download speeds of 6Mbps" - Sure thats not 6MBps?

Are you testing on wifi or wired?

ED E wrote: »
    Youtube is a whole other problem, see the thread on that.

"Speedtest.net tells me download speeds of 6Mbps" - Sure thats not 6MBps?

Are you testing on wifi or wired?

6Mbps - I always take a screenshot after running any tests, for reference. :) I ran another test a few seconds later and it came back with 12Mbps - it certainly doesn't feel that fast. Of course, the UPC speedtest says 60+ Mbps. On a direct Ethernet connection to the UPC router.

The Youtube thing is bizzare. What's the point in having fast broadband if one of the sites you most likely need it for is very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Of course, the UPC speedtest says 60+ Mbps. On a direct Ethernet connection to the UPC router.

Then that's the speed you are getting, speedtest is not very accurate above 20 Mbs.
    The Youtube thing is bizzare. What's the point in having fast broadband if one of the sites you most likely need it for is very slow.

Youtube is in a bad way at the moment buffering all the time, nothing to do with UPC

6Mbps - I always take a screenshot after running any tests, for reference. :) I ran another test a few seconds later and it came back with 12Mbps - it certainly doesn't feel that fast. Of course, the UPC speedtest says 60+ Mbps. On a direct Ethernet connection to the UPC router.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-cdimage/daily-live/current/quantal-desktop-amd64.iso - Download that and see what speeds you're getting.

Where abouts are you out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I just upgraded to 100mb and they sent me out a cisco EPC 3925.

It works, only I can't get more than 80mb from the wireless. That drop to 60mb in the front bedroom where I use my laptop mostly. Connecting the laptop to the router using ethernet gives me 120+mb/s.

I have an apple airport wireless is it possible to use it with the 3925?

Or will I just ring them? Will the thompson do 100mb over wireless easily?

EDIT: I just rang UPC tech support. the 60-80mb over wireless is "normal" and "all routers" have this problem. Asked about the thompson router and that has this problem "aswell". Wireless interference in your home and all this sh*te is the answer I got. She point blank refused to help. "That's all you're gonnna get". I asked why are they advertising 100mb if you can only get 60-80mb wirelessly, the answer was I'm getting the full speed to the box. Just not wirelessly :rolleyes:

Absolutely useless - will the thompson do 100-120mb over wireless?

Advertisement