Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

bealtine wrote: »
    Then that's the speed you are getting, speedtest is not very accurate above 20 Mbs.

Youtube is in a bad way at the moment buffering all the time, nothing to do with UPC

Ok, thanks. So between my home and UPC I'm getting 60Mbps, half of what I'm paying for. When accessing a 'real' site, the speed is down to 10-20Mbps. I wonder if UPC have anything like the upstream bandwidth they need considering the number of 100Mbps+ customers they have now.

Are you sure about the Youtube problem? It's far better on the Eircom connection at work than the 'much faster' UPC connection at home.
    ED E wrote: »
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-cdimage/daily-live/current/quantal-desktop-amd64.iso - Download that and see what speeds you're getting.

Where abouts are you out of interest?

I'll try that later, thanks. Tried previously, and always got 16-20Mbps, same as I was getting when on a 30Mbps package. Already had 2 callouts, they've 'boosted the signal', and they've dug up the footpath to work on the cable outside, and nothing's changed. They seem to think it's fine now. In Cork city centre.

Nothing to do but call them again, cheers.

Elessar wrote: »
    I just upgraded to 100mb and they sent me out a cisco EPC 3925.

It works, only I can't get more than 80mb from the wireless. That drop to 60mb in the front bedroom where I use my laptop mostly. Connecting the laptop to the router using ethernet gives me 120+mb/s.

I have an apple airport wireless is it possible to use it with the 3925?

Or will I just ring them? Will the thompson do 100mb over wireless easily?

EDIT: I just rang UPC tech support. the 60-80mb over wireless is "normal" and "all routers" have this problem. Asked about the thompson router and that has this problem "aswell". Wireless interference in your home and all this sh*te is the answer I got. She point blank refused to help. "That's all you're gonnna get". I asked why are they advertising 100mb if you can only get 60-80mb wirelessly, the answer was I'm getting the full speed to the box. Just not wirelessly :rolleyes:

Absolutely useless - will the thompson do 100-120mb over wireless?

They're right. With N wireless there's a theoretical max speed of 300Mbps. If you don't have 40MHz/channel bonding turned on, it's 150Mbps. In real life, I'd expect the actual max sustained rate to be about 50% of that, so around your 80Mbps figure.

You should be able to turn on 40MHz mode to get higher speeds, but there may be problems. It might result in more interference, and you might not be able to connect all your devices to it - for instance the iPhone 4 & 4S can't though I believe the iPhone 5 can.

It's nothing to do with UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

who_me wrote: »
    They're right. With N wireless there's a theoretical max speed of 300Mbps. If you don't have 40MHz/channel bonding turned on, it's 150Mbps. In real life, I'd expect the actual max sustained rate to be about 50% of that, so around your 80Mbps figure.

You should be able to turn on 40MHz mode to get higher speeds, but there may be problems. It might result in more interference, and you might not be able to connect all your devices to it - for instance the iPhone 4 & 4S can't though I believe the iPhone 5 can.

It's nothing to do with UPC.

Seems like it is. I'm actually using an Apple Airport atm and I'm getting the 100mb wirelessly, but its on loan. So even though there are routers able to wirelessly deliver the speeds they advertise, they don't have any of them? I thought the reason they brought out the Thompson router was to deliver the increased speeds?

Any idea how I turn on 40Mhz mode on the 3925?

Elessar wrote: »
    Seems like it is. I'm actually using an Apple Airport atm and I'm getting the 100mb wirelessly, but its on loan. So even though there are routers able to wirelessly deliver the speeds they advertise, they don't have any of them? I thought the reason they brought out the Thompson router was to deliver the increased speeds?

Any idea how I turn on 40Mhz mode on the 3925?

100Mbps is impressive, particularly so if it's not in 40MHz mode.

To turn on 40MHz mode in the router page:
    - Open the Wireless tab.
    - Open the "Basic" sub-tab.
    - In the "Channel Width" popup, select "Wide 40 MHz Channel".

I think I might be mistaken in one detail previously: I think the iPhone (and other devices) may be able to work with 40MHz mode, just not at 5GHz. There are two frequency bands routers can work with, and 40MHz mode works best in the 5GHz band - less interference. However, many older/current devices only work in the 2.4GHz band.

If you set your router to 5GHz, 40MHz mode will probably work better, but some devices won't be able to see the Wifi network any more.
    If you set your router to 2.4GHz, 40MHz may work, or you may have more interference. However, any N-wireless device should be able to connect.

Hope that hasn't complicated it too much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Upgraded to 100 meg package .The wireless signal from the 3925 is rubbish .
    Thinking of returning to old package .Hardly any signal in the bedrooms upstairs .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

rebeve wrote: »
    Upgraded to 100 meg package .The wireless signal from the 3925 is rubbish .
    Thinking of returning to old package .Hardly any signal in the bedrooms upstairs .

Follow either of the bridging guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Follow either of the bridging guides.
    Have the telephone as well ,any disruption to that and herself would lose the plot. You would think they would have sourced a decent modem .

rebeve wrote: »
    Have the telephone as well ,any disruption to that and herself would lose the plot. You would think they would have sourced a decent modem .

Then use my guide, phone stays working. And yeah, its annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

I bought an Apple Airport Extreme on the understanding that I could enable a bridge on my EPC2425 by going to http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp to turn the EPC2425 into a modem only and then use the Airport as my router. The problem is I can't access http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp :(

Can anyone point me to some instructions for another way that I can get my Airport working with my EPC2425?

The firmware running on my 2425 is:
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-111007cs_upc.bin

Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

tonedef wrote: »
    I bought an Apple Airport Extreme on the understanding that I could enable a bridge on my EPC2425 by going to http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp to turn the EPC2425 into a modem only and then use the Airport as my router. The problem is I can't access http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp :(

Can anyone point me to some instructions for another way that I can get my Airport working with my EPC2425?

The firmware running on my 2425 is:
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-111007cs_upc.bin

Thanks!!

I'm not too sure about this stuff but shouldn't it be http://192.168.1.1/GatewayMode.asp to access it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

I'm not too sure about this stuff but shouldn't it be http://192.168.1.1/GatewayMode.asp to access it...?

Doh! Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

just got EPC 3925. what can i do in settings to optimize my experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Lads, what is the max speed that eurodocis 2.0 can provide? Is it 30mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

got the epc 3925 and upgraded to 50mb..ever since then, small things take some time to load..example being the sky sports score centre..on my old modem i never even noticed it had to load..now it takes 5 seconds or so to load :S ?

anything i can do in the modems settings to fix that? im getting between 35-40mb speeds on speedtest.net and web pagaes usually load grand and also my ps3 gaming is grand so i duno what the problem is

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

who_me wrote: »
    If you set your router to 5GHz, 40MHz mode will probably work better, but some devices won't be able to see the Wifi network any more.
    If you set your router to 2.4GHz, 40MHz may work, or you may have more interference. However, any N-wireless device should be able to connect.
    Currently, most wireless routers, wireless access points and other wireless devices are manufactured primarily for the US market where the 5MHz band is not available and so many do not support it, although the situation is improving with more recent equipment. As a result, in Europe and some parts of the Middle East and the Far East where this band is available, you may find that, even if your wireless broadband is connected to a device which has the 5MHz option, the interface on your personal computer, tablet or smart phone may not be able to avail of it! :(

IEEE 802.11
    Unlicensed National Information Infrastructure (U-NII)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

As discussed in some earlier posts in this thread ...
    ... there can be contention between different protocols operating within the same device or devices in close proximity to each other. Whilst a lot of equipment, including domestic appliances such as microwave ovens and wireless doorbells, share the 2.4GHz band, DECT cordless phones operate on the 1.9MHz band and mobile phones use a variety of bands including 800/900/1800/1900MHz with more to come as 4G is rolled out. Even so, radio devices operating on different bands can still interfere with each other as is demonstrated by the 'chaos' that mobile phones can cause when used near audio devices such as loudspeakers or landline telephones. :(

You want to be able to connect all of your own wireless devices, including Bluetooth, WiFi and DECT cordless phones, throughout your home but you may find that these devices are contending with each other and also with your neighbours' devices! :rolleyes:

Perhaps wireless technologies are a victim of their own success, a victim of their underestimated popularity by their creators or a victim of their unnecessary overuse! Get wired! :p

I'm off to microwave a peppered steak pie so I won't have wireless internet access or be able to answer the cordless phone for the next minute and a half! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Hi guys. I currently have the EPC 2425 and cannot get two Open NATs on the Xbox 360. I plan on upgrading my speed and Im wondering if i get the Eurodocsis 3.0 is it possible to have two Open NATs on the Xbox 360?

Ryan451 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I currently have the EPC 2425 and cannot get two Open NATs on the Xbox 360. I plan on upgrading my speed and Im wondering if i get the Eurodocsis 3.0 is it possible to have two Open NATs on the Xbox 360?

Open Nat is open, there is no "two". Thats like having two copies of the exact same law in the statute.

You probably mean port forwards, and if so, it will never ever ever be possible to forward the same port to two IPs.

You also shouldnt need to do it. In any case, bridge to a proper router and never have to worry about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Open Nat is open, there is no "two". Thats like having two copies of the exact same law in the statute.

You probably mean port forwards, and if so, it will never ever ever be possible to forward the same port to two IPs.

You also shouldnt need to do it. In any case, bridge to a proper router and never have to worry about it again.

I have a good Belkin router here that i used to use with eircom. Do i not lose control of the phone if i bridge the router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Have you tried turning the modem off and on again? That usally fixes any problems I have. The Belkin router may not be compatible with bridging since I presume it is a ADSL router?

A fellow boards.ie user posted a bridging guide here (on the new ED3.0 modem) and the phone still works after you have completed the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

Anyone know how get acces to advanced settings on that router ? What is the pass and user name ?

epc2425.jpg

Anyone know how get acces to advanced settings on that router ? What is the pass and user name ?

Its locked off by UPC. They dont want you fiddling with stuff as then average joe will break his own connection all the time then call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to set the DNS servers in the Cisco 2425 to a fixed DNS (e.g. OpenDNS)? In the network setup section it states that the DNS settings apply to static IPs only (but my UPC IP is dynamic). Is anyone actually using OpenDNS with the Cisco 2425? If so, I'd really appreciate them walking me through what should be entered in the various fields. Many thanks ...

Just adding the screenshot that should have accompanied my previous post - the actual values are not real, taken from the Cisco 2425 manual.
    2ii7uxh.jpg

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Go ahead and try it. If it doesnt work, just change it back to zeroes.

The reference to static IP's I believe means that that the DNS IP address you use has to be a static IP address.

So far as I know you can also specify the DNS in the network settings (TCP/IP properties) on your computer and these will take precedence over the omdem. Change it from "Automatically detect DNS settings and stick in the IP address of OpenDNS. I did it before on my Dad's modem by changing the TCP/IP settings and it worked a treat. Didnt need to touch the modem.

Like I said -- with either option - u wont break anything. If it does not work you wont be able to access any websites. Just change it back if that happens.

This might help:
    http://use.opendns.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Like I said -- with either option - u wont break anything.
    That's not strictly true ... using OpenDNS or Google DNS servers can mess with the ability of a popular CDN (Content Delivery Network), akamai.net, to steer you to a fast local server for your downloads. Amazon and Microsoft use them, and I understand Apple does too, so any downloads from such sites will suffer as a result. Other CDN's are cleverer and don't suffer from this problem.

https://00f.net/2012/02/22/akamai-vs-public-dns-servers/

I've seen this in action myself recently when I used a program called wsusoffline to download a full offline copy of all Microsoft's patches and service packs. It was absolutely crawling along despite my 150Mbit/s BB, and the culprit was Google's DNS. I switched back to UPC's and it whizzed along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Sorry, I was just making the point that if you break it, its easy enough to undo it. Trial & Error etc. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hi lads,

I've had the 3925 for a while with no real issues. Every now and then I'd need to reset the modem to connect with a wired connection (wireless still works fine) but it was only once or twice a month so I didn't think much of it.

For the last couple of weeks I'm having to reset every time I'm connecting for the first time in a few hours (first thing in the morning or when I've got back from work, etc). Again, I can connect fine through WiFi but my PC and PS3 are both wired to the modem through Ethernet and its this connection which won't work.

I'm thinking my router is knackered?

Advertisement