Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randel

Hi
    I have recently signed up for the 50 mbps UPC internet package. I am using the cisco 3925 router.

I am using a win 7 64 bit laptop to access the internet wirelessly. For the first few days I was getting up to 50Mbps download but no upload - very frustrating.

Then on the modem settings for my laptop I disabled the 802.11n mode - I am now getting 20mbps download and 3 Mbps upload.

Is there any way I can get the upload to work when I have the 802.11n mode on my laptop enabled?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hi all,

I just had the UPC techie out today to look at an issue with the net dropping anytime a phonecall came into the house. It appears the problem was with the firmware on the THompson router so they have changed it to a Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0

No major problems, speed is good, wireless is good everything working.

However I have a NAS box on my network that I can no longer access. It contains alot of rather critical backups for games and work, and I need to get into it daily.

I can't log into the box with a username or password as its not accepting it. When I go to Windows explorer, where the NAS was picked up before, nothing shows. I've enabled UPNP on the router, but it looks like the box is not being assigned an IP address. Looking in at the Assigned IP's it looks like my phone and two cabled PC's.

I've checked the ethernet on the NAS and the router and they are secure.

It appears, looking at the NAS desktop app, that its still hanging onto its old IPaddress for starters, which needs to change.

Just wondering if anyone has come accross this issue, I've the Netgear STORA which is rather common, so hope someone can help.

Thanks

And while we are at it, anything this router CANT do I should be aware of?

All sorted :)

Jesus the wifi signal is brutal of this,

Router just in the next room and Xbox cant pickup the signal and my phone barely gets signal, ****ing hell

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

TheDoc wrote: »
    Jesus the wifi signal is brutal of this,

Router just in the next room and Xbox cant pickup the signal and my phone barely gets signal, ****ing hell
    UPC need to sort out this mess fast .

• Advertisement

rebeve wrote: »
    UPC need to sort out this mess fast .

The tech did say straight away

"your ethernet speed probably gonna be faster, but the wireless is definitely going to be weaker with this router"

Did a bit of fiddling and its fine

Although tonight I've noticed a massive spike in my MS and the line speed has dropped, better not get this messing, my old setup was perfect without a hitch for months

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bethesda

Hello everyone.
    I'm looking for topic related to the ability to do a bridge between the modem and the router.

I want to switch it over to bridge mode, and use my existing router WRT160NL running on OpenWRT ..

My modem have:
    Firmware Name
    epc2425-ESIP-12-v202r12812-100729s_upc.bin

Software Revision
    epc2425-ESIP-12-v202r12812-100729s_upc

My ISP is UPC ..
    Is it still possible ??.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bethesda wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    I'm looking for topic related to the ability to do a bridge between the modem and the router.

I want to switch it over to bridge mode, and use my existing router WRT160NL running on OpenWRT ..

My modem have:
    Firmware Name
    epc2425-ESIP-12-v202r12812-100729s_upc.bin

Software Revision
    epc2425-ESIP-12-v202r12812-100729s_upc

My ISP is UPC ..
    Is it still possible ??.

Details HERE:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bethesda

Details HERE:

-

I need to have exteranl IP on my router..
    Is it possible to make change that way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

What's the password for the Cisco 3245.
    Just want to put it on band n and set it to 5 ghz.

Have heard the signal is **** so may have to buy my own wireless router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 izzybear93

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I've only just joined..

I am looking to get a higher speed broadband, At the moment I get up to 8mb and my download speed fluctuates between 2mb and 6mb. Also broadband stops working whenever someone is on the landline phone! Virgin media isn't available in my area yet.

If I get broadband up to 24mb will it be any quicker or will i still only get 2 - 6mb?
    And how can i stop the broadband from cutting out whenever someone is on the phone!?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

I have a problem with my EPC 3925, about every 3 days the wireless stops broacasting. It's still possible to connect through ethernet cable just not wireless. The only way I can get it back is by changing the channel. I checked the log and the last entry before dropping was "Illegal TCP header" but i dont know what that means. Any ideas? kinda getting sick of having to change channel every couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

looking at the log again i dont think the "illegal TCP header" has anything to do with it as there was one of them yester however the wireless did not drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

does the 3925 support wireless Band N.

Cant see it in the settings?

Also I got given this router as a replacement for my Thompson after it started interfering with the phone line.

The Wifi signal coming from it is rubbish.
    And I've had nothing but bad speeds and connections aswell as high pings since I got the new router. Tech came out this week and outlined the issue was all the channels were in minus figures, which means the Broadband wasnt getting enough power.
    So more technicians came out today and installed a dedicated line for broadband. However they dont deal with testing or troubleshooting, and when done they headed off.

Did a test and its still ****e, and the channels are still all in a minus number : /

Last chance for a fix before requesting the old THompson back, the tech that did the replacement didnt even bother trying to force an update which was annoying, as that router was flawless since I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wuppie

Hi there,
    I had a UPC technician out to the house today because we are paying for 120Mb broadband and neither of the laptops in the house are getting anything near that. A maximum of 70Mb when connected through ethernet connection.
    I rang UPC yesterday and they said that there was a slow connection in the area.
    The annoying thing was that the technician was getting 127Mb download speed on his laptop when he tried his laptop, so it must be a problem with my laptop and its ability to reach speeds higher than 70Mb. I didn't get a chance to see what wireless card he had.

My laptop is a Medion Akoya S5612 and it uses the following:
    Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

I have tried to update the driver but there were no updates online.

If anyone has any advice on how I can reach the speeds that we are paying for then that would be great.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81655968&postcount=73

To smmarise my issue at present

UPC have taking the stance they cannot troubleshoot or assist any further, as they feel the issue is with my PC. This issue arose three weeks ago after they took away my Thompson router and replaced with Cisco 3925, has been overall poor, high pings, low download speed, disruptive, for three weeks.

So I'm left to my own devices.

A tech is coming on Tuesday, but my experience from the last three to come out is there are only good at plugging in cables and replacing routers. Cause they have never once done any troubleshooting, most like because they dont know how. The Thompson had a firmware issue, and instead of him trying to force a firmware upgrade, it was replaced.

Devi wrote: »
    I checked the log and the last entry before dropping was "Illegal TCP header" but i dont know what that means.

Every UPC customer has this, I have the same on my logs as do all my friends who I asked to check.

I found this when speaking to a Supervisor I asked for the logs of the router to be analyzed, and he told me this was the only logging available, and I ****ing lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TheDoc wrote: »
    Every UPC customer has this, I have the same on my logs as do all my friends who I asked to check.

I found this when speaking to a Supervisor I asked for the logs of the router to be analyzed, and he told me this was the only logging available, and I ****ing lol'd
    I agree, the "logging" on the EPC3925 is a complete and utter joke. I don't know how a company with a reputation like Cisco can put their name on something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone else having issues ATM with the 3925 de-syncing? Its happened 4 times already in the last 10 days. Goes down, tries to resync and fails, and as soon as its power cycled its resyncs and is fine like a normal boot. Think it just happened again as teamviewer was working fine to my rig at home this morning but its offline now. Nobody home to check right now.

Its running the workaround DMZ bridge as it was set up before Deciefer made his discovery and has been stable for months. F'cker runs pretty hot though and I'm cautious that it might be on the way out. UPC will be getting an earful if it dies. You'd think they'd have learned that they need to supply something better or allow provisioning by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

Yes, this has been happening with my 3925 for the pass few days also and I am using your DMZ workaround. Also to note when it re-synchs sometimes it will do so as low as 2Mbps and needs a reboot to get back up to near 25Mbps which is what I should be at.

At the moment hitting 18Mbps which is unusual as it has always been stable at near enough to 25Mbps 95% of the time even at the congested periods. But the strangest thing yet is I have done so much with the 3925 to try and get it settled, I now have bridged mode back working???

The firmware version is still epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc.bin but with a working bridge mode, so I am happy as it seems to be much more stable, even at a lower synch I can live with.

epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc

Cable Modem State
    DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: Completed
    DOCSIS Ranging: Completed
    DOCSIS DHCP: Completed
    DOCSIS TFTP: Completed
    DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: Completed
    DOCSIS Privacy: Enabled

Downstream Channels
    Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
    Channel 1: 0.7 dBmV 39.9 dB
    Channel 2: 0.7 dBmV 39.0 dB
    Channel 3: 0.4 dBmV 39.3 dB
    Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV 38.9 dB
    Channel 5: 1.1 dBmV 39.1 dB
    Channel 6: 1.2 dBmV 40.4 dB
    Channel 7: 1.2 dBmV 39.9 dB
    Channel 8: 0.8 dBmV 38.2 dB

Upstream Channels
    Power Level:
    Channel 1: 47.4 dBmV
    Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

No logs to check from when it goes down :S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Mine has gone to the dogs over the last few weeks. I was complaining here previously about getting 20Mbps on my 120Mbps connection... now what I wouldn't do to even get 20Mbps. It's very slow, and inconsistent. It could take 30 seconds to do a Google (but the second time it could be ok-ish, maybe 5-10 seconds. I've tried several open DNS servers, so that's unlikely to be the cause. ) Forget about watching videos.

If I ever bump into Craig Doyle on the street, he'll be getting a piece of my mind! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

who_me wrote: »
    Mine has gone to the dogs over the last few weeks. I was complaining here previously about getting 20Mbps on my 120Mbps connection... now what I wouldn't do to even get 20Mbps. It's very slow, and inconsistent. It could take 30 seconds to do a Google (but the second time it could be ok-ish, maybe 5-10 seconds. I've tried several open DNS servers, so that's unlikely to be the cause. ) Forget about watching videos.

If I ever bump into Craig Doyle on the street, he'll be getting a piece of my mind! :p

Craig Doyle is sucking all our bandwidth into his 150000mb connection in his house!!

who_me wrote: »

That sounds like the router is locking up(aka running out of memory). Try rebooting the router and see how it is immediately afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 musohead

I've tried to set up a VPN between myself and another UPC broadband customer.
    As per the Cisco EPC3925 manual:

===================================
    IPSec Passthrough: Enable
    PPTP Passthrough: Enable
    Local Secure Group: 192.168.1.12 (my local PC)
    Remote Secure Group: 192.168.1.5 (the remote PC)
    Remote Secure Gateway: 89.100.26.43 (Internet IP of remote UPC router)

Key Exchange Method: Auto
    Encryption: 3DES
    Authentication: MD5
    PFS: Disable

Obviously the remote router is set up as the mirror of the above addresses and uses my router's Internet IP address. But the VPN tunnel will not establish.

We can't ping each other's router's Internet IP address but I'm told by UPC that is normal.

Can anyone help please?

AFAIK, you cant do what you're trying to do. The EPC, as far as I know, is able to connect to a VPN host(like a business would have) as a client, but it cant host. You have two clients set up.

If you just need to LAN with your mate, get Logmein Hamachi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey guys.

I set up a bridged connection like that other thread says with the cisco router and a Belkin one I had before. I obviously didn't disable the cisco's wifi like I thought I did though cause its still accessible.

Anyway thats not the problem. The problem is that some devices in the house have been able to connect to the network and get internet through the belkin router. But other devices are returning a DNS server error.

Its a complete mix, my android phone and windows pc connect fine, my windows laptop, android tablet and ipad don't. (I don't own all these, people in the house do). The windows laptop and PC return completely different IP configs when connected to the same network. Any suggestions?

EDIT: My pc has connected to the internet through the belkin router. But If I type IP config, the default gateway is an external IP address and there is no way for me to connect to the router from that pc.

My laptop won't connect to the internet, when I do an ip config on that (on the same network) I get 192.168.1.1 and using that I can connect to the router. What is going on. Apologies I am a complete newb to networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

Hi all. I recently upgraded to 100mb broadband from UPC. I then moved the modem to downstairs so I could connect my PS3 wired. When I do a connection test my PS3 is only picking up 2- 6 mb ??
    Is this normal ? Is there any way I can speed this up ? Any advice is appreciated smile.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

LOL

Advertisement