Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oneway2

Solved 3925 Wireless coverage - low stress method

I was upgraded from 25 to 50MB UPC broadband. They replaced my 2425 (which had good wireless coverage) with the 3945 (that has very poor wireless coverage).

After a few calls to UPC and the offer of an Engineer's visit to confirm that I was telling the truth, I've resolved the coverage issue with the 3925: I bought an access point for less than Euro40. I got the TP LINK TL-WA830RE Range Extender on dabs.ie for just under 40.

I connected it to the UPC 3925, disabled wireless on the 3925, set the TP-Link to access mode (default is range extender) and I now have better wireless coverage than I had with the 2425.

Should I have to pay Euro 40 to fix this: no. Do I have the time to get UPC to fix this: no. Can UPC actually fix this: no (the box was designed for getting signal around small apartments, not through brick walls).

Low stress, happy user.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Anyone help me out?

Trying to access my Cisco EPC2425 modem settings. It prompts me for a username and password. I've tried doing what people said in other threads on here (leave both fields blank etc) but i cant access it.

As far as I am aware dont think i ever created a password. So dont know what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Anyone help me out?

Trying to access my Cisco EPC2425 modem settings. It prompts me for a username and password. I've tried doing what people said in other threads on here (leave both fields blank etc) but i cant access it.

As far as I am aware dont think i ever created a password. So dont know what to do next.

Press the reset button for ten secs & let go? It will factory default the unit & you should have access with blanks then. Only do it if you have nothing important configured on it already.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Press the reset button for ten secs & let go? It will factory default the unit & you should have access with blanks then. Only do it if you have nothing important configured on it already.

Thanks man.
    I'll do that. The only thing I ever changed with the modem was turning the wireless off (in which now i want to switch back on :P) So guess I shouldnt have any problems connecting with stuff.

Cheers.

Thanks man.
    I'll do that. The only thing I ever changed with the modem was turning the wireless off (in which now i want to switch back on :P) So guess I shouldnt have any problems connecting with stuff.

Cheers.

Yep, reset away and you're good to go ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Anyone help me out?

Strange, my modem started only not taking username and password from me today and I have been on it often before!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I have the EPC3925 and I was in the middle of downloading a file earlier when my connection suddenly dropped. Have restarted the router several times for the past half an hour but it keeps saying "No Internet access" on my pc. All the usual lights on the router are green so I have no idea what the problem is. I'm too frustrated at this stage so I'll leave it till the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

My UPC2425 modem isn't working since yesterday. The power, US, DS, Online and Tel 1 and 2 are on (I don't have a phone) but not the wireless lights, I can't detect it wirelessly on my computer. Strangely even when I disconnect the UPC coax all these lights remain on (ie when nothing else except a power cable is plugged in). I have tried reset button but this doesn't kick in, it was only replaced 4 months ago as the previous one died, any suggestions? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

I was just wondering does the latest 3925 modem/router combo with the bridging option available as standard still keep the telephone lines enabled when in bridged mode? Even one line would do me for the fax.

• Advertisement

I was just wondering does the latest 3925 modem/router combo with the bridging option available as standard still keep the telephone lines enabled when in bridged mode? Even one line would do me for the fax.

Yes, it will continue to work if you use THIS GUIDE:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

That guide is no longer necessary for the 3925, they now allow bridging, and yes your phone lines will still work.

Adam wrote: »
    That guide is no longer necessary for the 3925, they now allow bridging, and yes your phone lines will still work.

Well holy mooley! Did they actually listen to the end user?

Was that changed in a recent firmware update?

So you just choose "Bridged Only" from the drop down, plug everything (RJ45 wise) into the second router? Does bridged mode disable the wireless on the 3925 or do you still need to disable it manually?

Well holy mooley! Did they actually listen to the end user?

Was that changed in a recent firmware update?

So you just choose "Bridged Only" from the drop down, plug everything (RJ45 wise) into the second router? Does bridged mode disable the wireless on the 3925 or do you still need to disable it manually?
    Well we only upgraded in the last 2 months and the option was there already, not sure if a firmware update was rolled out. But yes, just run your cable to a dedicated wan port on another router your away. Let the 3925 handle DHCP, and I can't remember if you had to manually disable wireless, sure no harm if you do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tanpianista

I recently upgraded to 150 mbps but whenever i do a speedtest wirelessly, i always get 30-35 mbps only, im using ep 3925 modem router. Is there a solution for this? When i was on 50 mbps subscription i used to get these down speed, and if i buy an airport extreme, will it increase my down speed? Pls help

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

Hey guys. Hopefully someone can answer these questions for me as I am by no means a tech expert. I've been with UPC for a while now and I'm really sick of this EPC2425 device. I want to buy a new router so that I can put my EPC2425 in to bridge mode and allow the new router to do all the work. I want to do this because apparently this is the only solution to having two xboxes with open NATs on the same network. So,

Do I buy an ASDL router or a Cable router or am I wrong and are they all generic for both?

Is there any common mistakes to watch out for when setting up this bridging system?

Is there any specific router I should get?

Help would be really appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dark Nex wrote: »
    Hey guys. Hopefully someone can answer these questions for me as I am by no means a tech expert. I've been with UPC for a while now and I'm really sick of this EPC2425 device. I want to buy a new router so that I can put my EPC2425 in to bridge mode and allow the new router to do all the work. I want to do this because apparently this is the only solution to having two xboxes with open NATs on the same network. So,

Do I buy an ASDL router or a Cable router or am I wrong and are they all generic for both?

Is there any common mistakes to watch out for when setting up this bridging system?

Can the 2425 bridge? The 3925 can but I havent seen any posts about the 2425(doesnt mean there arent any).

You dont want an ADSL router or a Cable router. You want a pure router, that is one without a modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I recently upgraded to 150 mbps but whenever i do a speedtest wirelessly, i always get 30-35 mbps only, im using ep 3925 modem router. Is there a solution for this? When i was on 50 mbps subscription i used to get these down speed, and if i buy an airport extreme, will it increase my down speed? Pls help

Test it with a ethernet cable. I did two tests this morning. One with an ethernet cable using a laptop, the other over wifi using desktop pc.

laptop reported 145-150 meg speeds with ping of 10.

Pc reported 40meg speeds with a ping of 25.

Luckly I have an WAN router on the way from amazon to fix the wifi issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ED E wrote: »
    You dont want an ADSL router or a Cable router. You want a pure router, that is one without a modem.
    ... which, rather perversely, are often called cable routers :)

I did this myself months ago and posted up how I managed it.
    Here you go: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77966313

• Advertisement

I did this myself months ago and posted up how I managed it.
    Here you go: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77966313

Thanks for your replies guys. Can I still use wireless in the house with this setup? Also, why not just put the EPC2425 in to full bridge mode instead of DMZing to the other router?

Yeah, but the wireless off the router, not the 2425. As for full bridge more, I ended up with the 2425 stuck in a boot loop, can't remember how though. I don't think there are any real benefits to full bridge mode, and getting in and out of it is awkward.

Yeah, but the wireless off the router, not the 2425. As for full bridge more, I ended up with the 2425 stuck in a boot loop, can't remember how though. I don't think there are any real benefits to full bridge mode, and getting in and out of it is awkward.

Ok thanks for your help Adam. I'm going to buy a router today or tomorrow. Then I'll try to understand and apply your settings. Any advice on which router? Which one did you use?

Ok thanks for your help Adam. I'm going to buy a router today or tomorrow. Then I'll try to understand and apply your settings. Any advice on which router? Which one did you use?

I used an old wrt54gs that I had lying around, with dd-wrt open source firmware installed on it. Realistically you can use anything, it's all down to what your needs are. I asked the same question here (post #156) and got some good advice, haven't been able to splash out yet so I can't personally recommend anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KENTYRRELL

Trying to setup PARENTAL CONTROL - TIME OF DAY RULES on EPC2425 WITH UPC but when i set the times the INTERNET remains connected, has anyone tried this or have they any suggestions.

This really should have been here:
    Things gone to sh1t.

Started about 6wks ago. Intermittent dropouts. Appears to be getting worse. Went from DMZ to proper bridge last week, no improvement.

Everything past the 3925 functions flawlessly, as one would expect. But every day or two it locks up entirely or speeds go to hell. Power cycles fix this. But it always comes back.

Tonight:

4bpCT.png
    dgRW7.png
    9zW92.png

Edit: Update, happened again just there.

Happened again tonight. UPC are due to swap our unit out soon but I doubt it'll be of any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

This really should have been here:

Happened again tonight. UPC are due to swap our unit out soon but I doubt it'll be of any use.

Started happening to me since Thursday too. Keeps dropping below 1 when I have 50 m/b... Getting annoying resetting the router a few times a day to get normal speed.

Just went down for the third time tonight. FFS.

I used an old wrt54gs that I had lying around, with dd-wrt open source firmware installed on it. Realistically you can use anything, it's all down to what your needs are. I asked the same question here (post #156) and got some good advice, haven't been able to splash out yet so I can't personally recommend anything.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2332165

Would this router be ok for using with the EPC2425 for getting both xboxes to open NAT?

Or is something like this a more reliable choice??? http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEK341640

Not sure which one to spend the €€€ on ha. Help from anyone is appreciated. I just want to make sure I get one that will do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Had my EPC3925 replaced by UPC yesterday due to it droping it's connection and the new one did not even last one day without droping the broadband connection :mad: .

This is my 150meg/10meg speed now.

2370095219.png

2370061270.png

Advertisement