Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 2kreative

Hi All,

I'm another EPC3925 victim :( I recently upgraded from the 25mb package to 50mb and paid for a so called modem upgrade!! After a few hours use, speeds get limited to around 10mbs or less. Normally a reset/power cycle fixes this and I get full 50mbs again.

What I've also noticed is that network traffic in general seems to be choked, streaming media across the network also seems to suffer degradation (lots of buffering etc).

I've called UPC who sent out an engineer who confirmed there was nothing wrong with my connection at the house and he even replaced the modem and followed up with me in a few days to see how I was getting on, reported same results and he said he'd raise the issue with HQ to get them to look into it. That was about 2 weeks ago and no follow up since!!

Has anyone else who is experiencing speed issues tried switching to bridge? Did this resolve the issue?

Cheers,
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2374696924.png

Fecksake, this needs fixing.

Anyone else notice a distinctly hot to the touch unit when going to reset it? Mine is despite being in a room that is under 20*C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hi All.

Bit of an issue with the 3925.

I've got wireless on and connecting at 90meg on a 100meg line happy days.
    However When I disable the wireless and hook the computer directly into the modem via the Ethernet cable my speeds drop to 10meg.

Any suggestions as to why this is.

The ethernet port is flashing orange on the modem.

Running windows 7

Okay, very weird, so my realtek drivers were showing up at 10mbps after installing a wireless card.

i updated the realtek driver but it kept saying network cable unplugged.

I unplugged cable from pc, turned computer off, waited 30 mins, restarted pc, installed cable to computer and hey presto it works and im back to 1gig lan.

Okay, very weird, so my realtek drivers were showing up at 10mbps after installing a wireless card.

i updated the realtek driver but it kept saying network cable unplugged.

I unplugged cable from pc, turned computer off, waited 30 mins, restarted pc, installed cable to computer and hey presto it works and im back to 1gig lan.

Same issue here, a power cycle normally fixes the speed issue.
    I have to do this roughly every day, UPC's engineer replaced my first 3925 with a new one but the issue still exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm on 50mb UPC and all is fine until i open utorrent. It totally kills my browsing, if i close utorrent it goes back to normal straight away. Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Usaint

For problems with utorrent read this, worked for me?

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/stop-bittorrent-from-killing-your-internet-connection/

2kreative wrote: »
    Same issue here, a power cycle normally fixes the speed issue.
    I have to do this roughly every day, UPC's engineer replaced my first 3925 with a new one but the issue still exists.

Bit of a daft question, but can you define power cycle, and how long do you normally do it for ?

Bit of a daft question, but can you define power cycle, and how long do you normally do it for ?

Turn off, wait 2 seconds, turn on. Done.

UPC will be out wednesday but I have little faith this will fix things.

Upc engineers in atm, looks like we got a supervisor in along with the tech.

2381997221.png

Working as normal, for now.

• Advertisement

2385386722.png

Aaaand back.

ED E wrote: »
    Turn off, wait 2 seconds, turn on. Done.

UPC will be out wednesday but I have little faith this will fix things.

As above, for some reason the modem seems to choke all cabled network speeds to 10mbs after a few hours (the tech replaced out the last modem for me, so this is #2 with the same issues). I keep the Device Restart page (http://192.168.1.1/Devicerestart.asp) bookmarked, I'm tempted to write a script that will restart it automatically in the early morning.

50mb today..

2392200633.png

2kreative wrote: »
    As above, for some reason the modem seems to choke all cabled network speeds to 10mbs after a few hours (the tech replaced out the last modem for me, so this is #2 with the same issues). I keep the Device Restart page (http://192.168.1.1/Devicerestart.asp) bookmarked, I'm tempted to write a script that will restart it automatically in the early morning.

50mb today..

2392200633.png

I've started a thread on this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056836825

Feel free to chime in, gonna refer it to the UPC reps after christmas.

ED E wrote: »
    I've started a thread on this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056836825

Feel free to chime in, gonna refer it to the UPC reps after christmas.

Checked the modem - my logs are empty. I don't really use P2P clients so I guess that would explain lack of traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

Bought a D-Link DIR 655 to use as my main router because the Cisco EPC2425 doesn't allow an open NAT on both xboxes at the same time. I set everything up.

Cisco EPC2425 Settings:
    Wireless Access Point Disabled
    UPnP On
    Firewall Off
    WAN Blocking Disabled
    DMZ Host 192.168.1.2

D-Link DIR 655 Settings:
    Internet IP Static 192.168.1.2
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
    Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4

Network IP 192.168.3.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

Was working fine for the first day and now I can't seem to connect to XBL no matter what settings I use. Getting MTU errors and ICMP errors. Internet on phone and laptop is fine for the most part.

Followed the linked thread on pg 87 of this thread for instructions on this problem but I can't seem to fix the problem.

NEED HELP BADLY PLEASE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

UPC & Xbox Live are currently not playing nice. Should be sorted soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

miralize wrote: »
    UPC & Xbox Live are currently not playing nice. Should be sorted soon
    Yep, constantly dropping connection on the xbox but not on any pc/laptop/phone. Just came on to ask about this very problem. Any official info about this miralize?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

jamescd wrote: »

Well that's a relief. Thought it was my new router/settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Edit: **** wrong thread nvm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭allen175

i rang UPC last night to find out why i can't use bridge mode, turns out there is some sort of serious problem on my line and they can't push a firmware update to it... never had any issues at all with the connection, never drops and never slows down, hope to have the issue fixed after the engineer comes out on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stephen2022

I'm hoping someone can help me out here with some fifa issues..

I have had gaming issues for a very long time and it has gotten no better as i increased my broadband speeds [currently on 120mb]..i have the UPC Cisco EPC 3925 and have all the right ports open but still cant get decent gameplay and of late it has become really bad with button lag and stuttery gameplay the norm..i have gone through at least 15 modems in the last 18 months and none have been any better than the other...Xbox is only 12 months old..ethernet connection with wireless controller...is there anything anybody knows that i can do to improve the gameplay ?

Thanks

First off post results from speedtest.net and pingtest.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Hi guys wondering if anyone could help me I'm having problems gaming on Xbox Live with more than just one person (and me) - do not lose connection to xbox live but will lose connection to party chat leaders, ea servers whatever - I am not knowledgeable in this field but I would guess it's because there is too many devices on the wireless in the house - every now and then the speed will drop off causing problems for the Xbox. Would a device like the HomePlug help here? The router is right beside the xbox. Is there a way of connecting the xbox wired to the router while the rest of the house is wireless? Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Hi guys wondering if anyone could help me I'm having problems gaming on Xbox Live with more than just one person (and me) - do not lose connection to xbox live but will lose connection to party chat leaders, ea servers whatever - I am not knowledgeable in this field but I would guess it's because there is too many devices on the wireless in the house - every now and then the speed will drop off causing problems for the Xbox. Would a device like the HomePlug help here? The router is right beside the xbox. Is there a way of connecting the xbox wired to the router while the rest of the house is wireless? Thanks for any advice.

Just use an ethernet cable to plug in your xbox directly to the modem since it's right beside it. No need for homeplugs.

Also, it's not just you. Loads of people on UPC are having similar problems with Xbox Live and other Microsoft services (myself included). It might not have anything to do with your other wireless devices at all. See threads below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056839116

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056840743

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Having the same dropping out problem others are reporting.

It happens at least once an hour.

Every second PS3 game of online PES seems to have me punished for disconnecting.

I used that SSID program someone suggested to check the channels of neighbours' modems and switched my channel but not really optimistic.

I don't know enough about this stuff to change anything else in the modem's settings.

I assume UPC are still refusing to recognise this as an issue? It makes online gaming pretty impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Hi all,
    I dont know if I'm in the right place, but I have changed recently with UPC to 50mpb and EPC3925 Modem/Router. Junior upstairs in an attic conversion says strength it very poor compared to previous router. Question is, is there any way way of boosting wifi strength?

Hi all,
    I dont know if I'm in the right place, but I have changed recently with UPC to 50mpb and EPC3925 Modem/Router. Junior upstairs in an attic conversion says strength it very poor compared to previous router. Question is, is there any way way of boosting wifi strength?

Get a good access point. Done.

That or homeplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I have the EPC3925 router, 50mb package

This is my present speedtest result

2419966981.png

It has been like this for a few weeks, i download files through Internet Download Manager and unless i set the speed limiter on that to 750kb/s my browsing will completely die while i'm downloading. Also maybe twice a day any PC connected directly to the router will loose their net connection while it willl still be working fine wirelessly. A simple restart of the router will fix this.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Also the speedtest result above is constantly around 10mb down, could upc have downgraded our package for downloading too much?

• Advertisement

I have the EPC3925 router, 50mb package

This is my present speedtest result

2419966981.png

It has been like this for a few weeks, i download files through Internet Download Manager and unless i set the speed limiter on that to 750kb/s my browsing will completely die while i'm downloading. Also maybe twice a day any PC connected directly to the router will loose their net connection while it willl still be working fine wirelessly. A simple restart of the router will fix this.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Also the speedtest result above is constantly around 10mb down, could upc have downgraded our package for downloading too much?

Please flick the switch on the back off and the back on again, wait for it to reboot, then speedtest.

Post the result here. From my experience you'll be back up to perfect speeds.

Advertisement