Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ED E wrote: »
    Please flick the switch on the back off and the back on again, wait for it to reboot, then speedtest.

Post the result here. From my experience you'll be back up to perfect speeds.

Done and as always, it's pretty much the exact same

2420353539.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Different symptoms to me and several others then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm on the 150MB package.

9bPLV.png

This is slow than the 70MB package we were on before. It doesn't matter if i'm on peak hours or not, the cable itself was replaced in july too...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Having awful issues with the router :( Joined UPC last week and I'm rooms away from the router in a medium sized apartment. Rarely even getting 1mb in my room and connection drops. Don't know what to do to improve things, but looks like I'm not the only one.

We're on the 50 mb option and I'd gladly settle for 5 at this stage!

gawker wrote: »
    Having awful issues with the router :( Joined UPC last week and I'm rooms away from the router in a medium sized apartment. Rarely even getting 1mb in my room and connection drops. Don't know what to do to improve things, but looks like I'm not the only one.

Homeplugs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

gawker wrote: »

Check the wifi channel to make sure its not interference with other routers nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

miralize wrote: »
    Check the wifi channel to make sure its not interference with other routers nearby

Just as a side, I tried this to see if it would rectify the Wifi disconnecting itself every 45 mins or so but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

miralize wrote: »

Thanks, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to do the trick. When we restart the modem I can get around 15mb which would be great, but a few minutes later it's back at 300/400 KB. I'll keep trying things but does anyone know if UPC would be likely to help?

Pity people are having issues with the modem, great service if they get that right.

noodler wrote: »
    Having the same dropping out problem others are reporting.

It happens at least once an hour.

Every second PS3 game of online PES seems to have me punished for disconnecting.

I used that SSID program someone suggested to check the channels of neighbours' modems and switched my channel but not really optimistic.

I don't know enough about this stuff to change anything else in the modem's settings.

I assume UPC are still refusing to recognise this as an issue? It makes online gaming pretty impossible.
    Just as a side, I tried this to see if it would rectify the Wifi disconnecting itself every 45 mins or so but no luck.

So is there anything else I can change in the Router settings besides simply changing the channel that might fix my problem of the wi-fi regularly disconnecting (and reconnectig quite quickly in fairness)?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stephen2022

So is there anything else I can change in the Router settings besides simply changing the channel that might fix my problem of the wi-fi regularly disconnecting (and reconnectig quite quickly in fairness)?

You are 1 of many people that have an issue with the modem turning itself on and off,i have gone through lots of modems and they all did it,no one in UPC could ever explain why it happens.

Not sure of PS3 works the same as Xbox but have you all the ports open ..static IP address etc ?

• Advertisement

You are 1 of many people that have an issue with the modem turning itself on and off,i have gone through lots of modems and they all did it,no one in UPC could ever explain why it happens.

Not sure of PS3 works the same as Xbox but have you all the ports open ..static IP address etc ?

I am not really very tech on these matters but when I opend the modem settings last week I did noticed I was at a static IP (i.e. a different IP addresss everytime a device goes online ,right?).

All ports open I didn't check but I will later, thanks.

EDIT: Okay, so I see I have my static and dynamic definitions backwards. I will attempt to put a static IP on it later, does it matter what number you choose?

I am not really very tech on these matters but when I opend the modem settings last week I did noticed I was at a static IP (i.e. a different IP addresss everytime a device goes online ,right?).

All ports open I didn't check but I will later, thanks.

EDIT: Okay, so I see I have my static and dynamic definitions backwards. I will attempt to put a static IP on it later, does it matter what number you choose?

Not overly techy myself but i have learned enough to find my way around the xbox settings...

On the router homepage under apps and gaming there is port forwarding,this is what my page looks like
    kU5KTL_sA0piQQp2Su4U.png

whatever IP you put into this part must be the one you have in your settings on the PS3..you might have to manually put the IP into the PS3 as i find when it's on auto it changes so you then have to change your settings on this page every time that happens...if i can help with anything else let me know

Many thanks.

It is a little annoying when I am browsing the web or downloading but not a huge deal.

However, trying to play a game of PES online or anything else on the PS3 is absolutely hit and miss as th egame must quit if you get disconnected even once.

I'll have go later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

My 150 meg broadband with a wired connection , had to power it down a few times to even be able to post.

2433471011.png
    75493040.png

Clover wrote: »
    My 150 meg broadband with a wired connection , had to power it down a few times to even be able to post.

2433471011.png
    75493040.png

That's bad....but what really annoys me is when you get readings like that the CS person tells you that all levels are fine and nothing is wrong :rolleyes:..i'm on 120mb but only getting around 30-40mb and have constant sluggish gameplay and lag.

Have you rang UPC CS ?

That's bad....but what really annoys me is when you get readings like that the CS person tells you that all levels are fine and nothing is wrong :rolleyes:..i'm on 120mb but only getting around 30-40mb and have constant sluggish gameplay and lag.

Have you rang UPC CS ?

That wireless?

That wireless?

No..ethernet direct with a brand new i5 Samsung laptop

Was checking my speeds and ping today, all is good so far with the speed as you can see below.

2435239221.png

The ping was very bad with 58% plus packet loss on all tests, and I was about to give Upc a call today but decided to try something to see why I was getting such high packet loss.

The spi firewall on the Cisco was set to low and the ping tests where always 58% packet loss. changed it to off and saved the change , ran a few tests and was getting this on about five tests in a row .

75536770.png

Decided to put the spi firewall on the Cisco back to low and saved the change , ran a few tests and have 0% packet loss on all tests now :confused:

75537172.png

It's back to the setting it was on all the time but now with no packet loss :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

This might be of interest to others having speed problems on UPC packages. I contacted UPC tech support (regarding slow speeds / pages only partially loading / problems with videos with a EPC3925 on a 100Mbps line), and they suggested there is a network/infrastructure issue which may take some weeks to fix. Hopefully that's a genuine answer and not just an attempt to keep me quiet for a few weeks! :)

Fingers crossed.

Long standing issue as far as I'm concerned , back to poor speeds today even after restarting the Cisco.

2442363388.png
    75691520.png

• Advertisement

Long standing issue as far as I'm concerned , back to poor speeds today even after restarting the Cisco.

2442363388.png
    75691520.png

One of my biggest issues with UPC is the fact that the BB is so inconsistent and your speeds are a perfect example...my results are not as bad as yours but they do go up and down like a yo yo and what i have noticed recently is that the Jitter has gotten really bad and i reckon that is the cause of all my gaming problems.

C'mon UPC reps..let us know if there's a bigger problem here...if we at least knew what the issues where and a time frame for a fix we wouldn't need to be posting daily reporting our problems and moaning about UPC.

One of my biggest issues with UPC is the fact that the BB is so inconsistent and your speeds are a perfect example...my results are not as bad as yours but they do go up and down like a yo yo.

You nailed it on the head with inconsistent , my speeds can go from 150+ meg down to 0.24 meg down and anywhere inbetween. I have tested the connection speeds over the last few weeks with two laptops and a pc ( one of the laptops is only one week old), have run anti virus and anti malware on them to see if something is wrong on my end but can't find anything.

I have rang UPC again and have a call out for tomorrow as yet again all is perfect on their end.

You nailed it on the head with inconsistent , my speeds can go from 150+ meg down to 0.24 meg down and anywhere inbetween. I have tested the connection speeds over the last few weeks with two laptops and a pc ( one of the laptops is only one week old), have run anti virus and anti malware on them to see if something is wrong on my end but can't find anything.

I have rang UPC again and have a call out for tomorrow as yet again all is perfect on their end.

Same here.been testing direct on a brand new i5 Laptop so there is issues with the laptop not being able to reach max speeds....CS always say everything is fine there end and just send out an engineer to close off case at there end..i had engineers out every couple of weeks but they never found anything wrong and usually just replaced modem and left..what also annoys me is the engineers are not supplied with a laptop that can test the speeds from the modem.they will test the line coming into the laptop but that is no guide to what is coming out of the modem..an engineer i got to know used to bring his own personal laptop to test speeds and the line in would say 90-100mb but the modem would only read 40-50mb but like i said unless they bring there own laptop they can only get a reading of up to 30mb from there supplied iPads so make sure someone is there with a laptop to check the speeds while he's there...no pointy in replacing the modem when it's usually not going to fix the problem.

+1 on the inconsistency. Annoying when you have an engineer call out and it appears ok. I hate it when you do a speed test, it says 40Mbps or whatever, and they say "that's a lot better than I'm getting at home". (Plus, "40Mbps" doesn't mean much if lots of sites fail to load, or just load partially.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

After upgrading to 50mb my internet has never been so slow, i just got an upload speed of 0.08mbps there, absolutely raging!

• Site Banned Posts: 7 battlenoob3

Get a good access point. Done.

That or homeplugs.

How does one "get a good access point". Do you mean just sit closer to the router?!

How does one "get a good access point". Do you mean just sit closer to the router?!

No, the EPC has terrible antenna, get a wireless access point and hook it up to it and you'll get a better range, you sitting in the same place.

If its a fixed place(at a desk), homeplugs are the way to go.

who_me wrote: »
    +1 on the inconsistency. Annoying when you have an engineer call out and it appears ok. I hate it when you do a speed test, it says 40Mbps or whatever, and they say "that's a lot better than I'm getting at home". (Plus, "40Mbps" doesn't mean much if lots of sites fail to load, or just load partially.)

Spot on...i pay for 120mb but get around 40mb an in truth if that was a steady speed then that should be plenty to do what i want to do with gaming but the problems are A: the speeds go up and down like a yo yo so it's obviously going to effect the game and B: there is a lot of jitter on the line which ruins gaming so even if i had the 120mb it would still result in crap gaming.

As others have said the Cisco doesn't seem to be good enough for UPC's higher speed packages and although better modems would cost money it surely has to cheaper in the long run to install them now instead of constanly replacing like for like..i have had at least 15 modems and if you add in the cost of the engineer visit to UPC then there is no way that is a cost effective solution to fixing the problem.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 battlenoob3

No, the EPC has terrible antenna, get a wireless access point and hook it up to it and you'll get a better range, you sitting in the same place.

Thanks. I have no idea about wireless access points. Would you be able to give me a link to a good model to buy?

• Advertisement

Spot on...i pay for 120mb but get around 40mb an in truth if that was a steady speed then that should be plenty to do what i want to do with gaming but the problems are A: the speeds go up and down like a yo yo so it's obviously going to effect the game and B: there is a lot of jitter on the line which ruins gaming so even if i had the 120mb it would still result in crap gaming.

As others have said the Cisco doesn't seem to be good enough for UPC's higher speed packages and although better modems would cost money it surely has to cheaper in the long run to install them now instead of constanly replacing like for like..i have had at least 15 modems and if you add in the cost of the engineer visit to UPC then there is no way that is a cost effective solution to fixing the problem.

In my experience, UPC have been superb in offering support (at one point I was being almost harassed with calls offering a callout to fix my issues, and technicians were turning up at my front door unannounced to do repairs!)

But it must be costing them a huge amount! IF the issue is just the Cisco routers, then it can hardly be cost-effective. I doubt that's the only issue, as lots of people are raving about the 100 & 150Mbps speeds. If cheap routers were the problem, everyone would be having the same speed issues?

Using again last night; and initially it was slow (1 minute+ for sites to load), then speeded up dramatically. Could they have fixed it, I wondered. 2 minutes later, and it was slow as molasses. It's almost as if I'm sharing a connection with 1 other bandwidth hog and if they're using it, my speed drops to almost zilch.

Oddly, Netflix - bar a few bad weeks after launch - always seems pretty good for me.

Advertisement