Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stephen2022

who_me wrote: »
    In my experience, UPC have been superb in offering support (at one point I was being almost harassed with calls offering a callout to fix my issues, and technicians were turning up at my front door unannounced to do repairs!)

But it must be costing them a huge amount! IF the issue is just the Cisco routers, then it can hardly be cost-effective. I doubt that's the only issue, as lots of people are raving about the 100 & 150Mbps speeds. If cheap routers were the problem, everyone would be having the same speed issues?

Using again last night; and initially it was slow (1 minute+ for sites to load), then speeded up dramatically. Could they have fixed it, I wondered. 2 minutes later, and it was slow as molasses. It's almost as if I'm sharing a connection with 1 other bandwidth hog and if they're using it, my speed drops to almost zilch.

Oddly, Netflix - bar a few bad weeks after launch - always seems pretty good for me.

Offering call outs sounds good but it's only done so the CS person can sign off on it at there end..have you ever had a CS person or an engineer actually find a problem and fix it..?...i haven't...even though there are problems everywhere i have been told there's an issue in my area that is causing my problem but 8 weeks later and there still having meetings about what to do and next week they should be out to look at it and assess how long it will take to fix...that is terrible CS..how can it take 8 weeks for someone to decide to come look at a problem..:rolleyes:.

If i could get half decent gaming i would never bother them again but to be getting button lag when supposedly on 120mb fibre optic BB is a disgrace..if there was anyone else to go to i like others would be seriously considering switching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Well it looks like my problems all along where due to the incoming signal levels to the modem / router , even when everything showed as ok when they would check it.

The drop out happened right in front of the tech and it was my third one today, he rang about it and for the first time they where able to say that it was the signal levels and thats the first confirmation of that problem.

They are going to run a new line in from the outside shore directly to the modem / router , so fingers crossed that will be the end of my problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ours on a brand new stem from the road and a brand new cable from the nipple on our eave. Stats are good but the same problems so I dont know if thats it.

ED E wrote: »
    Ours on a brand new stem from the road and a brand new cable from the nipple on our eave. Stats are good but the same problems so I dont know if thats it.

Damn you ED E you just had to burst my bubble :pac:

I hope it solves it but time will tell , fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ArtXus

hi Guys...

I have 150 Mbits (cisco 3925 bridge with netgear WNDR3700)

From reading posts - am I correct to assume that I'll never get more than 40-80 Mbits on wireless?

I have it for one week and never got more than 75Mbits - and this even very rarely. Usually it oscillates around 30-40

Are there some settings on the netgear site which could help? I did test it over 2.4 and 5 GHz with the same result. I'm getting same performance through cisco too.

The other question I have- when cisco is in bridge mode and even if I disable wireless on the front panel Link led (under wireless) is always on. Does it mean that ciso is still broadcasting (it doesn't show up when scanning)?
    thanks for your time...

• Advertisement

Yeah, WiFi cant provide full speed (unless you get a 300Mbps AP).

That light is part of the boot sequence and it never turns off AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Offering call outs sounds good but it's only done so the CS person can sign off on it at there end..have you ever had a CS person or an engineer actually find a problem and fix it..?...i haven't...even though there are problems everywhere i have been told there's an issue in my area that is causing my problem but 8 weeks later and there still having meetings about what to do and next week they should be out to look at it and assess how long it will take to fix...that is terrible CS..how can it take 8 weeks for someone to decide to come look at a problem..:rolleyes:.

If i could get half decent gaming i would never bother them again but to be getting button lag when supposedly on 120mb fibre optic BB is a disgrace..if there was anyone else to go to i like others would be seriously considering switching

No, 2 callouts to the apartment and a 3rd digging up the footpath outside, but no improvement. :)

I still find it weird I can watch a HD video on Netflix with very little buffering and without a single stutter, but often struggle to load a simple webpage without elements not loading, video not appearing, CSS formatting not working..

I'm guessing Netflix videos are streamed via some content delivery network, so the servers we stream from are actually based in Ireland. I wonder if that's the key distinction, viewing stuff on (some) content delivery networks will be fast, but viewing normal pages/streams is very slow/problematic?

I had Smart Telecom's 24Mbps no-contention DSL which was excellent. I'd hard to 'downgrade' from 100 -> 24Mbps, but if there's no resolution coming I'll have to consider it.

ArtXus wrote: »
    hi Guys...

I have 150 Mbits (cisco 3925 bridge with netgear WNDR3700)

From reading posts - am I correct to assume that I'll never get more than 40-80 Mbits on wireless?

I have it for one week and never got more than 75Mbits - and this even very rarely. Usually it oscillates around 30-40

Are there some settings on the netgear site which could help? I did test it over 2.4 and 5 GHz with the same result. I'm getting same performance through cisco too.

The other question I have- when cisco is in bridge mode and even if I disable wireless on the front panel Link led (under wireless) is always on. Does it mean that ciso is still broadcasting (it doesn't show up when scanning)?
    thanks for your time...

You may be able to boost performance by turning on wide (40MHz) channels.

In Wireless > Radio Settings > Channel Width

This generally works best if the router is in the 5GHz band ("Radio Band" setting in the same window). However, many devices can't see a 5GHz network, so that might not be a useful option for you. You could try the wide channels when the router is in the 2.4GHz band, but it can lead to interference/weak signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Anyone know default username and password for the UPC Routers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eredmond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 garyingalway

who_me wrote: »

You may be able to boost performance by turning on wide (40MHz) channels.

In Wireless > Radio Settings > Channel Width

This generally works best if the router is in the 5GHz band ("Radio Band" setting in the same window). However, many devices can't see a 5GHz network, so that might not be a useful option for you. You could try the wide channels when the router is in the 2.4GHz band, but it can lead to interference/weak signal.

Thanks so much for this advice, I am on the 150mb/sec and it does what it says on the tin for a wired connection but I was only getting 35mb/sec on my iphone over wireless.. Followed your advice and I'm now getting 70 mb/sec as standard. You made my day and its only 9.05am :-)

Thanks so much for this advice, I am on the 150mb/sec and it does what it says on the tin for a wired connection but I was only getting 35mb/sec on my iphone over wireless.. Followed your advice and I'm now getting 70 mb/sec as standard. You made my day and its only 9.05am :-)

Great, happy to help (the invoice is in the post... ;) )

Had a similar experience when I switched the setting, 2x the performance "for free"! I've since switched to Powerline adaptors for greater reliability, but there isn't a huge difference in speed between a 100Mbps wired connection and a good Wifi connection with wide channels on.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

The signal to my xbox regularly disconnects, I was onto upc today and they said there is no problem with the router etc based on the tests the do. I have noticed that the signal on the Xbox goes between 0,1 and 2 bars. Anyone any ideas as to why the signal isn't constant???

The signal to my xbox regularly disconnects, I was onto upc today and they said there is no problem with the router etc based on the tests the do. I have noticed that the signal on the Xbox goes between 0,1 and 2 bars. Anyone any ideas as to why the signal isn't constant???

Could be interference. You could try using one of the Wifi analyser apps to see if anyone around you has a Wifi network on the same channel. IIRC, UPC normally put everyone on channel 11, so if you have neighbours with UPC you may well have problems. (That, and the Wifi on UPC's routers is rubbish).

Getting really pissed off now...got told months ago by a engineer that he had identified a problem i the head end and passed the details on to the dept that could fix it..get strung along for 2.5 months with PR crap then get a phone call yesterday saying it has been fixed but guess what...it's not and speeds are no better now then they where 3 months ago..even went out and bought a cat6 cable and no different..this router really is terrrible..someone in CS is going to get a bollicking from me on Monday..fed up paying for something that i'm not getting and being lied to by UPC staff.

Getting really pissed off now...got told months ago by a engineer that he had identified a problem i the head end and passed the details on to the dept that could fix it..get strung along for 2.5 months with PR crap then get a phone call yesterday saying it has been fixed but guess what...it's not and speeds are no better now then they where 3 months ago..even went out and bought a cat6 cable and no different..this router really is terrrible..someone in CS is going to get a bollicking from me on Monday..fed up paying for something that i'm not getting and being lied to by UPC staff.

Can fully understand how you feel, had nothing but trouble for months with my broadband speeds and the connection dropping on an everyday basis. The modem was replaced with a Thomson on the 18th of January and has not dropped since and speeds have been good , even though Upc never changed the cable from the outside shore to the house like they said they would.

Called them the other day to find out what the problem had been and why they never changed the cable , the answer they gave was the engineer had replaced the router and said the problem was fixed. Even though the signal levels going to the Cisco where meant to be the cause of the problems.

Now add to this the fact that I also found out on that call that my usage from 27th November to 27th December was around 430 gigs :eek: amazing when you take into account that the speeds I was getting in the house during that time period and the connection dropping.

But thats not all the usage for the next priod was also over 400 gig , and the usage from the 27th to 31st of January was 100 gigs :eek: , now I had already ran anti virus and anti malware and on Upc's advice installed Du meter on the pc and two laptops , but the systems are not showing anything out of the ordinary. Have a few consoles in the house also that use Netflix from time to time and have since changed the settings on my Netflix account to good to see If thats the cause of the high usage.

I dont leave anything on during the night pc's / laptops / consoles ect... and when I torrent it's set up to limit the download / upload speeds and not left running day and night.

Hope Netflix is the cause of the high usage and not something else as I'm getting a bit paranoid about it ( puts tin foil hat back on ).

Clover wrote: »
    Can fully understand how you feel, had nothing but trouble for months with my broadband speeds and the connection dropping on an everyday basis. The modem was replaced with a Thomson on the 18th of January and has not dropped since and speeds have been good , even though Upc never changed the cable from the outside shore to the house like they said they would.

Called them the other day to find out what the problem had been and why they never changed the cable , the answer they gave was the engineer had replaced the router and said the problem was fixed. Even though the signal levels going to the Cisco where meant to be the cause of the problems.

Now add to this the fact that I also found out on that call that my usage from 27th November to 27th December was around 430 gigs :eek: amazing when you take into account that the speeds I was getting in the house during that time period and the connection dropping.

But thats not all the usage for the next priod was also over 400 gig , and the usage from the 27th to 31st of January was 100 gigs :eek: , now I had already ran anti virus and anti malware and on Upc's advice installed Du meter on the pc and two laptops , but the systems are not showing anything out of the ordinary. Have a few consoles in the house also that use Netflix from time to time and have since changed the settings on my Netflix account to good to see If thats the cause of the high usage.

I dont leave anything on during the night pc's / laptops / consoles ect... and when I torrent it's set up to limit the download / upload speeds and not left running day and night.

Hope Netflix is the cause of the high usage and not something else as I'm getting a bit paranoid about it ( puts tin foil hat back on ).

I preferred the Thompson modem but that was also dropping connection a lot and the engineer said he couldn't get me another one so was tuck with the useless Cisco...to me it's obvious that the problem is the modem..i know if i get an engineer out to test the line it will say 90-120mb is coming into the house but as soon as you add the modem to the chain the speed drops to less than half that if you also add in the fact that it is useless fro gaming then i'm really amazed that UPC use them for there customers..they don't even come with the right ethernet cable to get the top speeds..was told by CS that i need a cat6 cable to be able to get the top speeds but the cisco only comes with a cat5..:rolleyes:.

My biggest problem is the constant lies from staff in UPC,they are not clever enough to all sing from the same hymn sheet and constantly get easily caught out...

Never bothered checking the usage as i'm not very technical...would the usage amount have an effect on speeds...?

I preferred the Thompson modem but that was also dropping connection a lot and the engineer said he couldn't get me another one so was tuck with the useless Cisco...to me it's obvious that the problem is the modem..i know if i get an engineer out to test the line it will say 90-120mb is coming into the house but as soon as you add the modem to the chain the speed drops to less than half that if you also add in the fact that it is useless fro gaming then i'm really amazed that UPC use them for there customers..they don't even come with the right ethernet cable to get the top speeds..was told by CS that i need a cat6 cable to be able to get the top speeds but the cisco only comes with a cat5..:rolleyes:.

My biggest problem is the constant lies from staff in UPC,they are not clever enough to all sing from the same hymn sheet and constantly get easily caught out...

Never bothered checking the usage as i'm not very technical...would the usage amount have an effect on speeds...?

Pretty sure its cat5e they give you, which also supports Gigabit.

Pretty sure its cat5e they give you, which also supports Gigabit.

the yellow ethernet that comes with the router is only cat5 but even after i bought the cat6 cable it made no difference to the speeds.

the yellow ethernet that comes with the router is only cat5 but even after i bought the cat6 cable it made no difference to the speeds.

th_DSC_0048.jpg

Tis 5e ;)

But yeah, your problem is with the piece of sh1t cisco.

• Advertisement

th_DSC_0048.jpg

Tis 5e ;)

But yeah, your problem is with the piece of sh1t cisco.

just checked and the cables i have that came with the modems are all cat5..and after going through lots of modems i have lots of cables.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

just checked and the cables i have that came with the modems are all cat5..and after going through lots of modems i have lots of cables.:)

What speeds are you getting wired with the cat5e/cat6 cable ?

Blitz17 wrote: »
    What speeds are you getting wired with the cat5e/cat6 cable ?

With the cat5 i was getting anything between 20-60mb so bought the cat6 on Friday..tested with that a few times and no real difference the odd test went over 60mb but like all the other tests there was no consistency in the results also noticed lately that when doing speedtests that the test dials are jittery and stutter while trying to get to a max speed whereas before it would just shoot up to a top speed before levelling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Hi there I have this connected to Xbox via ethernet, every now and then the connection will lag badly and may drop out...the connection on the router flashes orange, is this a problem? i have searched the web but found a lot of contradicting information. Anything I can do to help, should I buy better cable etc. Thanks for any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hi guys, I'm having an issue with devices not being able to see each other on the network, or more particularly a device connected via wireless cannot see the device connected via ethernet. I see nothing in the router settings along the lines of a wireless client security separator option or anything like that. I've tried switching QOS off but although I can see the ethernet device connected via my router settings it's cannot be pinged.

Check what IPs they all have. They should all be 192.168.1.X, if any break from that then they will be on another subnet and unavailable to the rest.

Cheers, they were petty much all sequential. It's not really a wireless/Ethernet issue, I hooked up another device to the router directly and it still couldn't see it.

"See" what? Is this a windows share, DNLA box or what? Its more likely something going wrong one level up.

Should have said, I'm having an issue with the Sky app finding my sky box so trying to narrow it down to the app, router or sky box. I can't ping the box but I'm not sure if the box should respond to pings anyway, the app is fine so I'm trying to check if the router is preventing communication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Ok I have a weird problem, my PC(connected straight into UPC 3925 route) always gets these results:

2492402170.png

If i connect wirelessly to the router i get better speeds.

The other PC in the house gets 50mb down and 6mb up

Even though i can get 1.2mb/s when i downloading, it kills the internet in the whole house so you can barely browse

Any ideas?

Advertisement