Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok I have a weird problem, my PC(connected straight into UPC 3925 route) always gets these results:

2492402170.png

If i connect wirelessly to the router i get better speeds.

The other PC in the house gets 50mb down and 6mb up

Even though i can get 1.2mb/s when i downloading, it kills the internet in the whole house so you can barely browse

Any ideas?

Sounds like your PC might be running at 10Mb rather than 100Mb locally. Is it a very old machine, or an old or damaged cable?

When downloading are you using peer to peer software(eg BitTorrent)? If thats the case then the simultaneous connections its using are what cause the slowdown as the EPC is useless for handling such activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like your PC might be running at 10Mb rather than 100Mb locally. Is it a very old machine, or an old or damaged cable?

When downloading are you using peer to peer software(eg BitTorrent)? If thats the case then the simultaneous connections its using are what cause the slowdown as the EPC is useless for handling such activity.

I use internet download manager for 90% of my downloading, utorrent for the rest

PC is not old but not new, and i use to get full speeds until recently
    http://i.imgur.com/cmNsSQf.png

Checked the cable with a cable checker thingy and that gave it the ok, if the cable was damaged i'd say the speeds would be different(erratic) but it's constantly 10mb down and 6mb up on speedtest

Could be a software problem, though I dont see why it'd happen.

network_adapter_properties_in_Windows_7.png

Advanced tab, find speed and duplex. Its probably on auto or 10 X now. Set it to 100Mbps Full Duplex.

If this isnt the cause then there's something else up with your machine.

Could be a software problem, though I dont see why it'd happen.

network_adapter_properties_in_Windows_7.png

Advanced tab, find speed and duplex. Its probably on auto or 10 X now. Set it to 100Mbps Full Duplex.

If this isnt the cause then there's something else up with your machine.

There is no speed and duplex

http://i.imgur.com/57O35rN.png
    http://i.imgur.com/7hnCOsi.png

Have a look again. Its just called Link Speed and Duplex :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Have a look again. Its just called Link Speed and Duplex :rolleyes:

Sorry :o i was on the sauce last night

Anyway, i set it up like you said and the internet connection just died completely

When i connect to the router wirelessly i get the speeds i should be, here are the results i just got wirelessly connected

2493470375.png

I'm also connected wirelessly at the moment and downloading a file at 6+mb/sec and it doesn't kill the internet for everyone else

You're NIC might be dying.

Have you tried another cable?

After that I'd look at reinstalling the drivers, that failing grabbing a PCI NIC card.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

On a wireless connection a meter and a half away through a very thin wall, been like this for the last few days ===> 2502259510.png

Before this we'd get randomly cut off the internet at least twice a day. Phones UPC too many times to count, always an excuse, always found a problem they've supposedly fixed. I'm getting to the point now where I feel I can safety say I'm being swindled out of my money by a company who doesn't give a fiddlers about service.

Is there anything I can do.. Courts/National consumer agency? I'm paying for a 25Mbps download speed and an acceptable ping and receiving nothing of the kind.

PS: 7Mbps is actually a really high download speed for the past couple of days. It's been <5.

EDIT: Speedtest update ===> 2502363449.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Slow speeds and reasonably high ping here in Dublin tonight. Really annoyed as its my first day off work today and I can't game properly :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FireBreather

Something is really wired

2 problems here anyone help on either one i give major cookies too ha

first once from about 1AM to 6PM Exactly my Internet speed's on fire the way it should be, going from 100-129, and after that it drops down to as low as 1Mb until about 1AM again,
    im wired too, I dont have a clue, UPC doesn't have a clue, the 2 technicians they sent out doesn't have a clue why its dropping, would anybody here have a clue?
    they said theres almost no congestion
    this happens on both the Cisco and the Thomson

2nd Problem my PlayStation DL speed at anytime wont go any higher than 3Mb wired, my gf is with UPC and 50Mb and uses wireless and she gets up to 30Mb DL on the PlayStation Network.
    i Rang The PSN customer Care they said its my ISP has me on a bandwidth lock, rang UPC and they said its Sonys problemicon8.png

anybody have any whats up with that?
    problem could be connected

any help on either one would be perfect, because anybody knows anything with UPC,

Cheers

P.S. all Ports are Open, and PSN has a Static address

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Slow speeds and reasonably high ping here in Dublin tonight. Really annoyed as its my first day off work today and I can't game properly :/

Right on time the ping soars once again. Been fine all day. After 7pm its become unbearable once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Allxm

Right on time the ping soars once again. Been fine all day. After 7pm its become unbearable once again.
    Having similar issues in Dublin. The Down and Up speed, both on wireless and wired drop around 10x down to around 5mb/s. Requires a reboot of the router to get normal speeds. Always seems to happen at this time of day also

Allxm wrote: »
    Having similar issues in Dublin. The Down and Up speed, both on wireless and wired drop around 10x down to around 5mb/s. Requires a reboot of the router to get normal speeds. Always seems to happen at this time of day also

Rebooting does nothing for me.

EDIT: 4th evening in a row that this **** is happening. All I have is UPC BB to stream my progs/movies, no TV sub. This is beyond ridiculous.

Rebooting does nothing for me.

EDIT: 4th evening in a row that this **** is happening. All I have is UPC BB to stream my progs/movies, no TV sub. This is beyond ridiculous.

wow man you too read my post above, how much of a drop you talking?

wow man you too read my post above, how much of a drop you talking?

Well 5th night tonight. Ping has been 120-140ms to local sites, d/l has dropped as low as 0.5mbit, but normally stabilizes at 5mbit. On 50mbit package

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hey lads, have an EPC3925 and the fastest UPC bundle but it's running like a pig, really slow browsing speeds and streaming videos is painful. Anyone know what settings to use to optimise it for general use like browsing, video streaming, skype, etc?

Cheers.

There's a sizeable thread here that has a lot of users complaining of the speed and ping issues of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 markireland

Hi

Any advice appreciated

I have a blueface account which i want to keep (SIP) but also just upgraded my isp speed with upc to 100mb - so a phone line is included in the bundle,

Is there a way to get at the cisco settings so i can add the blueface sip account to it so i have the choice of using wither blueface or upc when making calls.

I know i could just plug in a separate handset to the cicsco modem - dont really want to do that or buy a pabx - thats a bit pricey,

Basically i want to stay with Blueface and also use the UPC telephone service.

I have tried to telnet to the epc3925 bt no luck,

thanks

Well 5th night tonight. Ping has been 120-140ms to local sites, d/l has dropped as low as 0.5mbit, but normally stabilizes at 5mbit. On 50mbit package

yeah im on 120 and it drops to less than ten near 7 O'Clock going until 2 Am and the Ping is above 100 its crazy, im ringing Custumer care so much there getting to know m yme haah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Anybodys DNS dropping like mad tonight?

Got my new 3925 router about 6 weeks ago to replace same after having speed issues and constant disconnects.
    Everything perfect for a few weeks but now i keep getting dropped all the time. When connected, speed is between 35 and 50 on wifi.
    Anyone get the disconnect issue resolved? Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated as its driving me up the wall, we have 50mb broadband from UPC, on my laptop its is horribly slow, cant load youtube videos etc, my brothers lap top works fine though! aswell staying at a mates house who had 8mb and that worked grand on my laptop, much better then the 50mb, what gives? UPC have said nothing is wrong with our connection but my laptop is brand new so theres hardly something wrong with that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jugger0 wrote: »
    If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated as its driving me up the wall, we have 50mb broadband from UPC, on my laptop its is horribly slow, cant load youtube videos etc, my brothers lap top works fine though! aswell staying at a mates house who had 8mb and that worked grand on my laptop, much better then the 50mb, what gives? UPC have said nothing is wrong with our connection but my laptop is brand new so theres hardly something wrong with that?

What happens if you connect your laptop by ethernet to the UPC router?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It might be no harm to change the wireless channel on your router at home & see if it makes a difference.

If it's, say on channel 6 change it to 11 or vice versa & restart your router before checking.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

dub45 wrote: »
    What happens if you connect your laptop by ethernet to the UPC router?

I cant as i dont have an ethernet cable at the moment!
    It might be no harm to change the wireless channel on your router at home & see if it makes a difference.

If it's, say on channel 6 change it to 11 or vice versa & restart your router before checking.

Would i need an ethernet cable to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jugger0 wrote: »
    I cant as i dont have an ethernet cable at the moment!
    There should have been a nice bright yellow one delivered with the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Is there a thread with recommendations of modem types to replace the Cisco2425 modem?

I understand that the existing modem will need to be put into bridging mode etc.

I am trying to configure XBMC for a family member using this Cisco2425 piece of crap, but the buffering is ridiculous when streaming, and i have put it down to this modem as when I switch to a 3g connection (with rather poor coverage it must be said (2mb) i have none of the problems i experience with this Cisco modem on a 25mb package.

I have searched the setting menu of the modem but there doesn't seem to be any sinister settings to explain the streaming problems, so it has to be a firmware and hardware combo problem - it aint really good is it?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

I have the 3925 on my new 100mb connection and im getting 48 down 8 up from the next room

I also have this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-124-451&Tpk=33-124-451 - from Canada -

Is it a better router.. should i use two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Right... getting this problem sorted once and for all. I have been kicking the can down the road for some time now.

We recently upgraded to fibre power 50 meg broadband in the house and with that we were sent out the new cisco2425 modem. Before the switch, we were using one of their old usb modems linked to a netgear router. With the new modem some people in the house have been complaining that they are unable to get the wireless in their room. So I think I need to get a new router.

I've been reading a couple of posts about bridging on this page however it doesn't seem like I will be able to do that seen as we are with UPC for phone too.

First off, can anyone suggest a good router to get (probably n with good range) and secondly is it possible to connect the new router without having to go into bridge mode? I am able to connect my cheap netgear router but for some strange reason the broadband from that seems to cap at 10mbps. Any ideas?

Going to try and purchase the new router at the end of next week so any suggestions between then and now would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement