Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Right... getting this problem sorted once and for all. I have been kicking the can down the road for some time now.

We recently upgraded to fibre power 50 meg broadband in the house and with that we were sent out the new cisco2425 modem. Before the switch, we were using one of their old usb modems linked to a netgear router. With the new modem some people in the house have been complaining that they are unable to get the wireless in their room. So I think I need to get a new router.

I've been reading a couple of posts about bridging on this page however it doesn't seem like I will be able to do that seen as we are with UPC for phone too.

First off, can anyone suggest a good router to get (probably n with good range) and secondly is it possible to connect the new router without having to go into bridge mode? I am able to connect my cheap netgear router but for some strange reason the broadband from that seems to cap at 10mbps. Any ideas?

Going to try and purchase the new router at the end of next week so any suggestions between then and now would be greatly appreciated.

For what you want to do you dont need a router, just a wireless AP(or a router with DHCP disabled if you want).

Speed limit you have atm is one of two things I suspect:
    Legacy device connecting and slowing it to wireless A
    Crappy cable is limiting it to 10Mbps instead of the 100 it should be with cat5 and 10/100 ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

ED E wrote: »
    For what you want to do you dont need a router, just a wireless AP(or a router with DHCP disabled if you want).

Speed limit you have atm is one of two things I suspect:
    Legacy device connecting and slowing it to wireless A
    Crappy cable is limiting it to 10Mbps instead of the 100 it should be with cat5 and 10/100 ports.

Ahh ok have my terminology mixed up it seems. Can you suggest a good wireless AP that I could pick up? Something with a good range.

EDIT: Just looking at Harvey Norman there. They all seem to be wireless routers. If I was to pick up one of them, can I manually disconnect DHCP? or do you have to actually purchase a specific 'DHCP disabled router'?

EDIT2: On this thread the guys are saying that phone now works in bridge mode. So I guess I can buy a wireless router, turn the cisco modem to bridge and do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Are you sure you got a cisco 2425 & not the EPC 3925?

The 3925 now has the option to bridge enabled & you can go the route you suggested.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Are you sure you got a cisco 2425 & not the EPC 3925?

The 3925 now has the option to bridge enabled & you can go the route you suggested.

I have the 3925. Trying to change the source code at the moment to bring up the working mode tab but it's not working. Waiting for someone to figure out what the problem is with the source code I'm changing it with.

This is what I get when I change the source.

screenshot20130303at134.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Obviously that's not right but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Just log into you router via your Browser and change the mode from "Router" to "Bridged" under the "Administration" TAB

4327031c94c5ff8a27cb68afd687dcc8.png

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Just log into you router via your Browser and change the mode from "Router" to "Bridged" under the "Administration" TAB

I don't have that option on my config window

screenshot20130303at162.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Click on the drop down beside where it says DHCP

Click on the drop down beside where it says DHCP

That dropdown has DHCP and static IP. No bridging.

That dropdown has DHCP and static IP. No bridging.

Are you a business and did you request a static IP from UPC?

If not? maybe it's a firmware issue? you might be on an old one?

You could default reset the router & see if it sorts it? Hold the tiny recessed button at the back of the router for 10Secs Approx and release.

Are you a business and did you request a static IP from UPC?

If not? maybe it's a firmware issue? you might be on an old one?

You could default reset the router & see if it sorts it? Hold the tiny recessed button at the back of the router for 10Secs Approx and release.

Nope, not on a business package. Just on 50meg fibre. Have tried reseting a good few times after the new source code failed to adjust the page. Not really sure now :P

Gonna wait for DECEiFER to get on tonight and ask him about it.

EDIT: Only realized there how beneficial a static IP is. Are they not given out as standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

EDIT: Only realized there how beneficial a static IP is. Are they not given out as standard?

Nope, but with UPC your IP is very close to static.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Alun wrote: »
    There should have been a nice bright yellow one delivered with the modem.

I cant find it, ive ripped the whole house apart looking for it, i'll hopefully be able to borrow one, i dont understand it though, laptop works fine in other houses with less mb's but cant even load a fookin youtube video with our 50mb broadband, my sister was here the past weekend and it worked fine on her laptop... rage inducing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Forgive me if this has been covered already, but haven't found it in thread.
    MY mum has the e3925.
    Her PC is connected wirelessly to it, as is my iphone, but no-one else can connect wirelessly.

There are no unusual security settings that I can see, but undoubtedly I'm missing something blatantly obvious. Help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

jugger0 wrote: »
    I cant find it, ive ripped the whole house apart looking for it, i'll hopefully be able to borrow one, i dont understand it though, laptop works fine in other houses with less mb's but cant even load a fookin youtube video with our 50mb broadband, my sister was here the past weekend and it worked fine on her laptop... rage inducing to be honest.

Keep us updated on this, having a similar problem, the connection on my laptop is fine and hitting 45-50mb now but my brother's laptop is only hitting 22mb but nothing is loading up, in fact we still have our old eircom connection for a few more days and when he is connected to that the internet works much better on that at only 8mb. Same problem I think, can't figure out what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

soc160 wrote: »
    Keep us updated on this, having a similar problem, the connection on my laptop is fine and hitting 45-50mb now but my brother's laptop is only hitting 22mb but nothing is loading up, in fact we still have our old eircom connection for a few more days and when he is connected to that the internet works much better on that at only 8mb. Same problem I think, can't figure out what it is.

Will do bro

Right i found the ethernet cable, what now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

jugger0 wrote: »
    Will do bro

Right i found the ethernet cable, what now?

Think I fixed my problem. Dunno what computer you have but I found out that the Intel Wifi Technology was disabled, it was still picking up the connection but restricting the connection, have a look at that on your computer and much sure nothing is disabled.

Anyway, now you have the cable, connect it to your box and into your computer, turn off the Wifi connection on your computer and make sure the internet is connected via the cable only. Then if you can connect, run a speedtest to see what your connection is maxing at. If it's not reaching 50mb or whatever is you where promised ring UPC, the engineer would have logged the speed when he installed the connection so it should have worked at 50mb. You can test the speed here http://speedtest.upc.ie/ or http://www.speedtest.net/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone had this issue?

Wireless devices dropping and the router spazzing out for a while. Seems to be happening more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 daraghoc

Hi folks, new on here .... just a quick question. I have UPC broadband for ages currently on 30Mb and very happy with the service. I have one of the old and apparently very reliable Scientific Atlanta simple pass thru modems with phone jack. This in turn is connected to a Netgear WNR2000 router which acts as a hub for direct LAN connections to PS3, Apple TV etc and all told I am very happy with my set up. I originally signed up to the mid level speed which now has increased to 100MB in my area. I would like the higher speed as it will not cost me any more but I am told by UPC that I will have to change to one of their Modem/Router combo units, as the one I have is maxed out at 30Mb. Anyway reading threads on here it seems that these units have been giving trouble so perhaps I am better off staying with my current set up. As I stated at the start I am very happy with what I have and the speed seems to be fine for what I need ..... streaming movies on Apple TV or Netflix is prob my heaviest usage. Any thoughts? should I leave well enough alone? I have a feeling UPC will force me to give up my old Scientific Atlanta at some stage as they keep upgrading the service!

daraghoc wrote: »

Have you looked into costs? I know my bill went down by 20 euro a month when I switched over so it was definitely worth it. It's really up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone had this issue?

Wireless devices dropping and the router spazzing out for a while. Seems to be happening more and more.

Yup, started a couple of weeks ago for me. 3 years no issues, this is the first time anything funky has happened. I was upgraded to 50 megs 6 weeks ago and got the 3925 router. Dublin 10 here. Done nothing about it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Is there any way to change transmission rates with 2425? Can't get into the advanced tab to see if it's in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Hi do i need other router for 50 Mb i have already 30Mb and its cisco EPC3925 but women on 1908 told me that i need to change main and pay 45€ for it?
    They also have it now 25€ for phone+broadband for six months but only apply to new customers old one will get nothing as usually.

devil-80 wrote: »
    Hi do i need other router for 50 Mb i have already 30Mb and its cisco EPC3925 but women on 1908 told me that i need to change main and pay 45€ for it?
    They also have it now 25€ for phone+broadband for six months but only apply to new customers old one will get nothing as usually.

I wouldn't have thought so. Most people pre upgrade were rocking the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 who were upgraded to the 3925. I can't see why they want to take a 3925 away from you, give you a new 3925 and charge you 45 euro.

maybe they want to give me a Thompson.The cisco is new anyway because old one broke down few weeks ago so got the new one.Anyway girl promise me to call back but i dont know will she do that still waiting anyway she even didnt know when i sign my contract and when its expired not good sign for they customer care.

devil-80 wrote: »
    maybe they want to give me a Thompson.The cisco is new anyway because old one broke down few weeks ago so got the new one.Anyway girl promise me to call back but i dont know will she do that still waiting anyway she even didnt know when i sign my contract and when its expired not good sign for they customer care.

Did she know you had a 3925?

I thought that she can check it in system but maybe she dont know how if she even dont know when my contract expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I called for my father-in-law who was had just finished a 12month contract and he was using a 2925 modem.

I asked about getting his speeds increased to 50mb free of charge from 30mb.

The lady said that increasing the speeds FOC would be no problem, but I would need to pay €40+ euro for the 3925 modem as the 2925 couldn't handle the 50mb.

I basically said to her that I'm OK and was just seeing if I could get the increase FOC.
    Before I finished the call she said "OK then we can do it FOC if signed a new 12month contract" .

Go for it I said, and bingo, new modem arrived yesterday morning.

So chance your arm. Nothing to lose..

Leiva wrote: »
    I called for my father-in-law who was had just finished a 12month contract and he was using a 2925 modem.

I asked about getting his speeds increased to 50mb free of charge from 30mb.

The lady said that increasing the speeds FOC would be no problem, but I would need to pay €40+ euro for the 3925 modem as the 2925 couldn't handle the 50mb.

I basically said to her that I'm OK and was just seeing if I could get the increase FOC.
    Before I finished the call she said "OK then we can do it FOC if signed a new 12month contract" .

Go for it I said, and bingo, new modem arrived yesterday morning.

So chance your arm. Nothing to lose..

Great deal. You wont get if you don't ask.

anyone know the best settings for wifi at 3925 i shuld have 50Mb but my speed on wifi is about 12-18 Mb/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Set it to 801.11n only, not to b/g/n mixed.

Advertisement