Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

my laptop card not workin with n network but anyway changed wlan card coz my wa too old and its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I am having issues on WiFi aswell using the 2425. The last month or so the signal has been dropping and speeds are extremely slow and a right pain in the a***.

I have tried all the usual methods like changing the channel but it hasn't worked and seems to be an intermittent issue.

I've tried other devices to rule out my laptop and they are showing the same issue. Speeds are fine on ethernet.

I know you won't get the same speeds as ethernet but this is ridiculous

2594421394.png

Also, we are on the 30mb package and have been for a while. A lot of fairly new customers have told me they have been upgraded to either 50/60/100 free of charge, what's all this about ? They either got a letter or text message

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I am having issues on WiFi aswell using the 2425. The last month or so the signal has been dropping and speeds are extremely slow and a right pain in the a***.

I have tried all the usual methods like changing the channel but it hasn't worked and seems to be an intermittent issue.

I've tried other devices to rule out my laptop and they are showing the same issue. Speeds are fine on ethernet.

I know you won't get the same speeds as ethernet but this is ridiculous

2594421394.png

Also, we are on the 30mb package and have been for a while. A lot of fairly new customers have told me they have been upgraded to either 50/60/100 free of charge, what's all this about ? They either got a letter or text message

Thats the droput problem see my thread further down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

BohsCeltic wrote: »

They might be talking about the new router itself? I know they have stopped charging customers 45 euro for the hardware when they upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i got the epc 3925 upgraded from the 2925. its very bad. i get kicked from games of call of duty alot. never happened on old router. i lose connection sometimes on laptop and my phone alot. can i do anything in the routers homepage to make it better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    They might be talking about the new router itself? I know they have stopped charging customers 45 euro for the hardware when they upgrade.

Is that new customers? I got charged 45 euro last week upgrading to 150.

If you've been with them for a while and call them before doing so you can usually get it waived it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Make a fuss and they give it to you for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i got the epc 3925 upgraded from the 2925. its very bad. i get kicked from games of call of duty alot. never happened on old router. i lose connection sometimes on laptop and my phone alot. can i do anything in the routers homepage to make it better?

I'm getting this as well. Is this common? Anyone know a solution.

This didn't start straight away for me. Took maybe two weeks after I got the router and steadily went downhill thereafter.

Does anyone have issues with multiple XBOX consoles running multiplayer with the EPC3925?
    My 3 boys seem to have problems getting onto some multiplayer sessions, esp withBlack OPS 2 zombie map pack.
    When I run the connection test on XBOX it comes back with a NAT error although it does the connection to XBOX live.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have issues with multiple XBOX consoles running multiplayer with the EPC3925?
    My 3 boys seem to have problems getting onto some multiplayer sessions, esp withBlack OPS 2 zombie map pack.
    When I run the connection test on XBOX it comes back with a NAT error although it does the connection to XBOX live.

Use the search function, there are a million posts about this problem already.

ED E wrote: »
    Use the search function, there are a million posts about this problem already.

Well thanks for your help! As you rightly point out there are a million different posts and a million different answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Parkowen

I have been experiencing random 1-2 second disconnections since last year when I increased my speed from 25 to 50mb

I can be playing an online game on XBox, playing World of Warcraft and be in a Dungeon or be in a chat room, and suddenly the connection is lost and I am kicked from each of the servers simultaneously. You then have to log back in again, infuriating other game players who may have been dependent on you and the people you were chatting to thinking you just rudely left the chat for some reason.

I had the Cisco router and they contacted me in May 2012 saying if I was interested in the higher speeds they could send me out a new modem which was the Thomson one - not immediately but soon after it was installed the random disconnections began. I have now had UPC out 3 times and the last time they actually replaced the Thomson with a Cisco......so why change it in the first place?

I am at breaking point with them - have escalated the fault to an official complaint and am awaiting for their complaints section to contact me to try and finally sort this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Had a breakthrough at the weekend..

I was getting lots of disconnects (VPN goes down, general internet is off/slow for < 1 minute). So I started recording the time:

12:46
    13:32
    14:02
    14:32
    15:02
    15:32
    16:02

Apart from the first one, the disconnects are every 30 minutes. The only thing that I could think of is if the DHCP is set to renew at 30 minutes (which would be a ridiculous setting).

I had to do a factory reset (as I managed to change the router password without saving it, d'oh!), then set the DCHP time to 9999.

And bingo! No disconnects, and the connection is massively improved (probably due to the reset, rather than the DHCP setting). I'm still getting a maximum of ~16Mbps on downloads (with a 120Mbps connection), but at least the browsing experience is far, far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

How do you change the DCHP settings?

Caillte wrote: »
    How do you change the DCHP settings?

Once you log into the router, go to the Setup Tab, then the LAN Setup tab underneath. (If you're changing it so that DHCP doesn't renew as often, it's the "Client Lease Time" field).

who_me wrote: »
    Had a breakthrough at the weekend..

I was getting lots of disconnects (VPN goes down, general internet is off/slow for < 1 minute). So I started recording the time:

12:46
    13:32
    14:02
    14:32
    15:02
    15:32
    16:02

Apart from the first one, the disconnects are every 30 minutes. The only thing that I could think of is if the DHCP is set to renew at 30 minutes (which would be a ridiculous setting).

I had to do a factory reset (as I managed to change the router password without saving it, d'oh!), then set the DCHP time to 9999.

And bingo! No disconnects, and the connection is massively improved (probably due to the reset, rather than the DHCP setting). I'm still getting a maximum of ~16Mbps on downloads (with a 120Mbps connection), but at least the browsing experience is far, far better.

Cheers for this. I've no issue with speed but connection drops almost hourly. Will give this a whirl tonight and report back!

Cheers for this. I've no issue with speed but connection drops almost hourly. Will give this a whirl tonight and report back!

That sounds about right. When I reset the router, the factory default for DHCP was 60 minutes - still ridiculously low!

It's basically saying 'disconnect & reconnect me every 30/60 minutes'; I can't think of any technical or security reason for it being so low.

That sounds about right. When I reset the router, the factory default for DHCP was 60 minutes - still ridiculously low!

It's basically saying 'disconnect & reconnect me every 30/60 minutes'; I can't think of any technical or security reason for it being so low.

Cheers man. Just changed it to 9999. I'll kick off a legal torrent to test for disconnects as I wont be gaming tonight.

Looking good since the last post!!:)

• Advertisement

Hmm had 2 disconnects since the last post and none this morning. Much improved but not solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

My DHCP is set at 60 minutes (haven't bothered to change it) but I still haven't experienced any disconnects so far.

Only problem I have is once the clock hits 5pm every day (7 days a week), my speed slows down to almost dial up speeds. Browsing is a real pain, and streaming and gaming are almost impossible. At 6pm, everything is back to full speed again. So i basically have 1 hour every day where I can't do anything :mad:

I was streaming the Liverpool v Chelsea game on sunday, but I couldn't watch the entire 2nd half because it was so slow. Any idea what's causing this ? :confused:

Hmm had 2 disconnects since the last post and none this morning. Much improved but not solved.

That's a pity. Sounds like you might now be down to the 'genuine disconnects'.

Is it on Wifi or Ethernet? It might be worthwhile just to keep a note of the times of the disconnects, and if the Wifi is down or the outgoing connection. (i.e. can you ping the Wifi router, then can you ping a DNS server etc.). If it reconnects quickly ,you might not have time..

That info would be handy if you're getting onto UPC support, both for backing up your case and to give them something specific to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The problem is on UPCs network. I have had these symptoms before but it just resolved itself after a while (sometimes took a week or more).

That's a pity. Sounds like you might now be down to the 'genuine disconnects'.

Is it on Wifi or Ethernet? It might be worthwhile just to keep a note of the times of the disconnects, and if the Wifi is down or the outgoing connection. (i.e. can you ping the Wifi router, then can you ping a DNS server etc.). If it reconnects quickly ,you might not have time..

That info would be handy if you're getting onto UPC support, both for backing up your case and to give them something specific to look at.

I've a network hard drive, a boxee box and an xbox hanging off it wired, and just the laptop over the wifi - they all drop together. It only started with the 3925 I got a few months ago with the upgrade and it's really only yesterday that I got up off my arse and started looking at it after seeing your post.

Funny things is it always dropped at 8:30am and 9:30am, that didn't happen this morning. I'll monitor it for a few days for rouge drops before getting onto support.

Cheers for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

how do i change the DHCP time? all i can see is either choosing DHCP or static ip. no options to change

You're in the "Administration" tab. Go to the "Setup" tab. Under it should be Quick Setup, Lan Setup and DDNS. Click on Lan Setup. Look for Client Lease Time

jamescd wrote: »
    My DHCP is set at 60 minutes (haven't bothered to change it) but I still haven't experienced any disconnects so far.

Only problem I have is once the clock hits 5pm every day (7 days a week), my speed slows down to almost dial up speeds. Browsing is a real pain, and streaming and gaming are almost impossible. At 6pm, everything is back to full speed again. So i basically have 1 hour every day where I can't do anything :mad:

I was streaming the Liverpool v Chelsea game on sunday, but I couldn't watch the entire 2nd half because it was so slow. Any idea what's causing this ? :confused:

That's weird. I was going to say it's due to more data traffic in the evenings, but it makes no sense that it'd improve at 6.

I wonder could it be something set to run/change every 24 hours, but it's odd that it would be slow for exactly 1 hour. Personally, I'd reset the device set it up again and see if it persists. If you're still having problems, you could checking ping times (and maybe doing a traceroute) just before and just after 5pm to see what changes.

That's weird. I was going to say it's due to more data traffic in the evenings, but it makes no sense that it'd improve at 6.

I wonder could it be something set to run/change every 24 hours, but it's odd that it would be slow for exactly 1 hour. Personally, I'd reset the device set it up again and see if it persists. If you're still having problems, you could checking ping times (and maybe doing a traceroute) just before and just after 5pm to see what changes.

It starts at exactly 5pm. I was gaming online earlier and the lag became unbearable at exactly 5pm.

It seems to have gotten worse though. As I said it normally goes to back to full speed after an hour, but it's almost 7pm now and it's still painfully slow. I've been with UPC for almost 6 months now and it's only been happening in the last 2 weeks or so. Thought it would go away at some stage but doesn't look like it :(

Edit: Now it's back to fullspeed at exactly 7pm. It lasted exactly 2 hours this time (5pm - 7pm). Can't be a coincidence, someone at UPC must be taking the p1ss :mad:

• Advertisement

jamescd wrote: »
    It starts at exactly 5pm. I was gaming online earlier and the lag became unbearable at exactly 5pm.

It seems to have gotten worse though. As I said it normally goes to back to full speed after an hour, but it's almost 7pm now and it's still painfully slow. I've been with UPC for almost 6 months now and it's only been happening in the last 2 weeks or so. Thought it would go away at some stage but doesn't look like it :(

Edit: Now it's back to fullspeed at exactly 7pm. It lasted exactly 2 hours this time (5pm - 7pm). Can't be a coincidence, someone at UPC must be taking the p1ss :mad:

I feel your pain... My connection was (inconsistently) dreadful for months - pages could load quickly, or it could take 1 minute to load a basic page.

For me, resetting the device back to factory settings fixed it (fingers crossed it stays that way). You could also try Ethernet instead of Wifi if you haven't already, try setting up manually instead of DHCP, try an open DNS server instead of UPCs (maybe 4.2.2.1).

After that, I guess it's give UPC a call.

Advertisement