Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Not a single drop since 6pm lookin good

• Registered Users Posts: 7 relgoog

Does anyone know if it is possible to get port forwarding working when the SPI firewall is set to high?

I want to allow/open ports for Viber, but it only works when the SPI firewall is set to Low.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

relgoog wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get port forwarding working when the SPI firewall is set to high?

I want to allow/open ports for Viber, but it only works when the SPI firewall is set to Low.

Disable the SPI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

so im paying for a 25mb line and its currently 1.59mb... im using a wireless modem and a lap top but surely this shouldn't be the case. I haven't read the previous 81 pages of posts but is there any advice on how i can get what im paying for, as its been like this for a week or so
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

so im paying for a 25mb line and its currently 1.59mb... im using a wireless modem and a lap top but surely this shouldn't be the case. I haven't read the previous 81 pages of posts but is there any advice on how i can get what im paying for, as its been like this for a week or so
    thanks in advance

you can't test on wireless...test only on a wired connection.
    If it's still bad on a wired connection ring UPC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

thanks in advance

Factory reset would be worth a shot .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

rebeve wrote: »
    Factory reset would be worth a shot .
    just checked the PC that is conected to the wall as opposed to the router and im getting a speed of approx 25mb (what im paying for) but the wifi is still only 1.49mb.
    When saying factory reset as above are we talking with the wireless router?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

just checked the PC that is conected to the wall as opposed to the router and im getting a speed of approx 25mb (what im paying for) but the wifi is still only 1.49mb.
    When saying factory reset as above are we talking with the wireless router?
    thanks

1.49 seems ridiculously low, what is it like beside your router? if you have an android device download wifiscanner (inSSIDer from metageek is a PC version both are free, nothing similar for iOS devices) and see which channels other wifi signals are using i.e. your neighbours , check this around your house as some channels may be higher in other rooms away from your router (better to use a different channel than the strong signals further away from your router than close to your router as stronger signals have a greater degradation effect on your own routers signals the further away from your router you get). Then manually change your channel to match this (http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/196) do this via the wired connection, I'd recommend against the auto option as this just selects the least cluttered channel near your router where it's own signal is strongest anyway, other channels further away are more important. If you have a 3925 broadcast on wide as it uses both 20 & 40 (only either or on the TWG unfortunately). If all your devices are N then you can try and just broadcast on 5GHz band, if not (you will know if some devices suddenly drop the wifi, older phones etc prob wont work just on 5GHz) then you will need to use the 2.4GHz. obviously distance, walls etc have a degrading effect on your wifi performance as do DECT phones and baby monitors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Hmmm. The speed problems returned last night. Pages taking minutes to load (or just loading without CSS, or video elements not loading etc).

The factory reset did the job again, but there's something weird going on if I have to factory reset the 3925 every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Siskods9

My UPC 150Mbp/s connection is anything but 150Mbps... Regularly its about 40% of what it should be.
    I get better speeds late at night but I thought the service was unlimited and contention free???
    Incidentally I am using a wired ethernet connection to my PC with Cat6 cables.

I know the EPC3925 is garbage, mine regularly feels (too) hot and the Wireless signal strength is pathetic... I find I have to manually power cycle mine several times a day as frequently it just seems to stop working even though all the LEDs look fine. Kinda looks like it drops off the network or disconnects all clients... weird.

I'm kinda suspicious that UPC is having a resource issue since they started to offer an uncapped, unlimited service...

Anyone got any thoughts or similar experiences?

My modem is being replaced next week (fingers crossed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I only ever got a fraction of the listed speed in any real-world scenario (only some speed tests did come close). A speed test could tell me I was getting approx. the full 120Mbps, but then any download from a fast server would still top out at about 20Mbps.

I'm on the Horizon trial, and for me that's a huge improvement. Even on Wifi, I've been getting 50Mbps in downloads - even though my package was downloaded to 100Mbps. I haven't tried any wired download tests yet.

As for contention - I was told a few years back that it had zero contention too, but my experience wasn't consistent with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

I've been checking my EPC2425 recently with InSSIDer and occasionally I see one or two extra SSIDs on the same channel as my wireless network SSID. The MAC addresses for the 3 SSIDs are all very similar, and if I change the channel number on the router, all 3 SSIDs change accordingly.

Is this a glitch in the router or a glitch in the inSSIDer software? I see that others have reported this phenomenon with this router as well:

http://www.metageek.net/forums/showthread.php?4893-After-installing-inSSIDer-there-are-2-SSID-s-on-my-Cisco-EPC2425-router

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I think that's what happens when you used mixed mode. There is a seperate access point for b/g/n. You should set it to N only for better speeds, unless you have legacy devices.

I'd agree with srsly, thats probably what you are seeing.

Just got a text saying I'm upgraded to 100 meg from UPC. Will test later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Just got a text saying I'm upgraded to 100 meg from UPC. Will test later.

Getting really anxious with everyone posting about getting an upgrade. Am afraid they'll forget about me :P

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Getting really anxious with everyone posting about getting an upgrade. Am afraid they'll forget about me :P

Are you on 32? They seem to not being pusing us 32 customers up automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

ED E wrote: »

anyone that's on 32 wont be getting upgraded in the near future, I have a long boring story about going on triple play, bill shot through the roof even though it was supposed to save money, 4 agents telling me that theyd sort out the bill and speed and send me out a modem, last agent tried putting it through manually only to have it rejected because the cable in my area is only rated to 30meg (other agents didn't bother there arses looking that up), after that he transferred me to customer loyalty who had to take hd off me to get the bill more manageable and who told me the cabling in the area isn't marked for any upgrade work and probably wont be upgraded in the next 6 months (I read that as never tbh).

So I ended up with less then I had when I signed to triple play no 50 meg upgrade and unlikely to ever be upgraded. So don't buy into the universal upgrade crap from UPC, if your still on 32 meg you can forget it as it will most likely never happen.

Shin

I'm on 60mb

shinzon wrote: »
    anyone that's on 32 wont be getting upgraded in the near future, I have a long boring story about going on triple play, bill shot through the roof even though it was supposed to save money, 4 agents telling me that theyd sort out the bill and speed and send me out a modem, last agent tried putting it through manually only to have it rejected because the cable in my area is only rated to 30meg (other agents didn't bother there arses looking that up), after that he transferred me to customer loyalty who had to take hd off me to get the bill more manageable and who told me the cabling in the area isn't marked for any upgrade work and probably wont be upgraded in the next 6 months (I read that as never tbh).

So I ended up with less then I had when I signed to triple play no 50 meg upgrade and unlikely to ever be upgraded. So don't buy into the universal upgrade crap from UPC, if your still on 32 meg you can forget it as it will most likely never happen.

Shin

That may be the case for us but Im not so sure. They only refitted our avenue ~6 months ago, the trunk runs along our eave and we've a brand new co-ax into the roof to the 3925.

Signed up on 25Mb and about 2 months later got the free bump to 32. Havent really needed to upgrade to 50 yet so we've been waiting for the mail but I may call them now and check if the node is 50 capable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

That may be the case for us but Im not so sure. They only refitted our avenue ~6 months ago, the trunk runs along our eave and we've a brand new co-ax into the roof to the 3925.

Signed up on 25Mb and about 2 months later got the free bump to 32. Havent really needed to upgrade to 50 yet so we've been waiting for the mail but I may call them now and check if the node is 50 capable.

If you are ringing them make sure they put the order through manually for you if you are getting the upgrade, I went through 4 agents before the manual order told him the cable was only rated for 30 meg, all others guaranteed me 50 meg plus modem free of charge

If you got new cabling then you may have no issues and itll go through but just something to note if you run into any problems, the manual ordering system will reject the order if your cabling cant handle the speed, only way to be 100% sure

Shin

Great stuff, will report back when I've tried. Cheers.

I thought all 30s got upgraded to 50/60 in the last year? Thats what happened to me anyhow.

Getting on average 70 on wireless, 20 ping and 10 up. Wired I assume will be close to 100.

Still get a couple of drops a day though.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I got that message too from UPC saying I was upgraded to 100 megs, I was on 60 and frequently got near enough that on speedtest, a few minutes ago I tested and got 24mg download,retested and got this
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2758066883.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]2758066883.png

Is my line unstable that two test within minutes give vastly different results,is the 3925 capable of running 100 megs?

dubtom wrote: »
    I got that message too from UPC saying I was upgraded to 100 megs, I was on 60 and frequently got near enough that on speedtest, a few minutes ago I tested and got 24mg download,retested and got this
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2758066883.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]2758066883.png

Is my line unstable that two test within minutes give vastly different results,is the 3925 capable of running 100 megs?

Even if it isn't I wouldn't be on to UPC any time soon. I'm not giving up my 3925 even if they knock on my door looking to switch it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I got upgraded from 120 to 150mb but speeds are rarely going over 90mb and sometimes lower. Previously I would consistently get 120mb sometime a little more. I'm using the Thomson modem. Just wondering if anybody else had this problem?

Ronan wrote: »
    I got upgraded from 120 to 150mb but speeds are rarely going over 90mb and sometimes lower. Previously I would consistently get 120mb sometime a little more. I'm using the Thomson modem. Just wondering if anybody else had this problem?

Using a cable? Is it cat5? You need gigabit to do better than 100Mb(realistically less).

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Yep, Ethernet to the modem and we have cat5 cabling here in the building.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    2767317516.png

Absolute bullshít.

Power cycled it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Not sure you have fixed your problem as such - swapping cables between ports should not make a difference.
    Your router is a basic switch, so all lan ports should be treated as equal ie: no difference between port 1 or 2,3,4. If you can test the other ports by disconnecting all pc's and just plugging in your own pc to each of the ports in turn and run speedtests - you should get the same results from each.
    If not then you have a problem with your router.
    Have seen it before on my adsl zyxel router, where the wireless became unstable and only lan port 1 worked - blamed it on overheating.

Advertisement