Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

Am with personguy on that. Ever since I put my modem in bridge mode and only use my netgear router, everthing has been great.
    As a bonus, the netgear is dual band so my laptop connects on 5ghz and I get a consistent wifi speed of 90mbps upstairs from the router.
    Plus all the multiplayer connection problems kids has with the 3 xboxs have been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Hi folks, been having serious problems most noticeably over the last 3 days on 100 mbps (3925 modem). Now admittedly my PC is upstairs from the modem, but I was definitely getting at least 20-30mbps before very recently.

First off, how do I log in to 192.168.1.1? I have tried admin/admin for the username/password, and tried leaving the fields blank, but it won't log me in.

2nd, and this is just theory here: if I am able to upload at the speeds below, and my download speed is much much slower (every single test), does that completely rule out the issue being that I'm not connected via ethernet? My thinking is that if my machine can upload at those speeds this distance from the modem, then theoretically it should download at a speed of between the upload speed and 100 mbps (i.e. ~7-100 at the moment). Does that make sense?!

sh2x.png

e7h.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36 J0nney

Hi,

The EPC2425 has four SSIDs. A "primary" - the one you configure and connect to - and three "guest" SSIDs. Click on tab Status on the configuration page, and scroll down to "Interface Parameters", you may see all four SSIDs enabled. These additional Guest SSIDs are exactly that, to allow Guests to connect. In my case, two of these are Open, no security.

I have been searching the web trying to find some way to disable these guest access points, without success.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

Having a problem myself where the router dies each day. I haven to reboot it every morning on average. Wondering if there's a DOS going on but can't see router logs to verify anything. Anyone else having issues like this? At times speeds drop to silly low levels making a reboot necessary too

My 50Mb broadband connection can drop to 2Mb at times during the evening. In my case its clearly a UPC problem and not any problem with my equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

J0nney wrote: »
    My 50Mb broadband connection can drop to 2Mb at times during the evening. In my case its clearly a UPC problem and not any problem with my equipment.

There is a long litany of this kind of report in the UPC forum here on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Add me to the list of having my UPC connection dropping constantly, despite bridging to an AirPort Extreme and having my Apple TV wired directly. Netflix and YT are shocking.

It was awesome for years - what happened UPC? I never thought I'd say this but I might actually start considering efibre if this keeps up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

J0nney wrote: »
    Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Add me to the list of having my UPC connection dropping constantly, despite bridging to an AirPort Extreme and having my Apple TV wired directly. Netflix and YT are shocking.

It was awesome for years - what happened UPC? I never thought I'd say this but I might actually start considering efibre if this keeps up :(

Guys, as you can see from other threads, speed and yt problems are generally UPC problems, so you need to report it.

If you have no time to ring them, then at least post on their 'Talk to UPC' forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

squonk wrote: »
    Having a problem myself where the router dies each day. I haven to reboot it every morning on average. Wondering if there's a DOS going on but can't see router logs to verify anything. Anyone else having issues like this? At times speeds drop to silly low levels making a reboot necessary too

Welcome to upc. Enjoy your stay.

Guys, as you can see from other threads, speed and yt problems are generally UPC problems, so you need to report it.

If you have no time to ring them, then at least post on their 'Talk to UPC' forum.

I reported the 2Mb connect speed to UPC's technical support yesterday via their web site. I also mentioned it to them a few weeks ago while discussing my EPC2425 to TC7200 upgrade and they just said I should monitor it for a while! I'm pretty sure they are aware of the congestion or whateve it is. Is it not their job? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

My EPC3925 seems to drop its internet connection intermittently. I'm trying to diagnose what the problem might be before I call UPC.

Anyone seeing this? Airport Utility frequently reports that the Internet connection is "disconnected."

My EPC3925 seems to drop its internet connection intermittently. I'm trying to diagnose what the problem might be before I call UPC.

Anyone seeing this? Airport Utility frequently reports that the Internet connection is "disconnected."

Exact same as you where all is ok with with airport extreme/express but utility reports that the internet connection is gone. Seems to happen every 15 minutes during certain periods.

P.S. I am currently in touch with UPC about this

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

if you're using the epc3925 as a wireless router, then that's your problem right there. i had nothing but problems, constantly, weekly, with the box as a router, since the day it arrived, and the only help upc ever gave was to try to change the channel number to avoid interference with neighbours (even when i called in reference to problems with the connection that had nothing to do with wireless connectivity).
    i finally bit the bullet and went out and bought an actual, real, working, good, nice, functional, happy router, and stuck the epc3925 in bridge mode, and i've never (not even for a second) had connectivity/dropout or spotty/missing wireless issues ever since.
    just a thought.

UPC came back to me to say that there's no problems in my area (D8), no issues showing on the line and the modem is saying that it has had a connection for over 48 hours. I was advised to disconnect my airport extreme and do a test directly wired to the Cisco.

I don't know what use that is to me? I bought the Apple airport because I was having issues with the Cisco and finally just stuck their modem to bridge mode. In the end, I was told to contact technical services for more support but apparently no obvious issues.

Hmmmm.....here's hoping they sorted out something small on their end and didn't communicate it to me for whatever reason. Doubtful mind you....I'll check it out tonight and call tech services if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

When I get these disconnects in Airport Utility, I only get them intermittently. And, even then, the times when I'm getting intermittent disconnects are themselves intermittent (if that makes sense). In other words, there may be a period of about half an hour when I'm getting disconnects intermittently and then it stops and everything works again.

Cisco is in bridge mode and connected to an Airport Extreme 4th gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Guys, that 15 minute drop thing, someone posted a solution up to 10 pages back. I cant remember for the life of me what it is, its somewhere in the modem admin LAN set up. I'll check when I go home. There will be a figure that needs to be changed from 15 to 9999 or something like that.

In the meantime, check back a few pages.

Got home last night and mysteriously my connection was much better. I was getting 8Mb/s DL speeds whereas previously I had been getting 1Mb/s if I was lucky. Netflix and YT performance also improved quite a bit. Throttling? Did they then lift some sort of limit on my account when I complained?

Seems a bit paranoid but Netflix is basically my main source of telly. Streaming 720p for a few hours each day must have quadrupled my usage pre-Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Nothing mysterious about it, UPC obviously fixed some routing problem on their network.

I had the whole "router keeps resetting" problem before (on my bridged router). It just went away after a while, so I strongly suspect it's not down to the customers equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nothing mysterious about it, UPC obviously fixed some routing problem on their network.

I had the whole "router keeps resetting" problem before (on my bridged router). It just went away after a while, so I strongly suspect it's not down to the customers equipment.

I do think this router is the cause of a lot of problems ... but not all, as you say.

I check my default reset and it is 9999.

I wish I could bridge it but I have read all of the instruction pages and it needs too much technical knowledge .. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The fact that UPC use this modem\router in other countries and have the bridge mode firmware installed (as it should be by default) defies logic? Why don't they see that soooo many users require this feature and just release a firmware update to be done with it. They're treating their Tech savvy customer base like kindergarten school kids.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Had a bit of a theory about a possible cause for maybe some of the connection reliability issues with our EPC3925's :D

From the moment we signed up to UPC here in Bray back in MAR/APR, I noticed that the EPC3925 got very hot. If the plastic casing which is an insulator was getting so hot, one could only imagine how hot the PCB and Chips in the EPC3925 were getting.

Unlike some other Bray UPC BB users(Other side of Bray) who suffered network issues with regular speed drops down to 1mbit at regular times back in JAN/APR and now again in JULY, here near the Seafront I have experienced no such speed drops. We have always gotten 70-110 mbit depending on the time of day, throughout the whole periods that other Bray users have experienced these network speed drops.

However, what I have experienced is regular disconnections. The router automatically reconnects after a few minutes or straight away if I run down and reboot. This behaviour only started happening in JUN/JULY when temperatures in this country finally rose. It only happens in daylight hours and never at night.

We push the EPC3925 hard in this house. Between this house and our apartment next door with relations residing, there are 9 adults all using the connection. 3x Desktop PC's, 5x XBMC Media players, 4x Laptops, 3x iPads and 8x Smartphones. Theres media content from our server streaming around the network to most devices, theres Horizon TV online content streaming to and around the network. Theres Youtube content streaming etc etc. Basically, we hammer the EPC3925!! :D

So my theory is that perhaps some of our problems are down to an overworked EPC3925 overheating in Summer temperatures.

My attempt to confirm this theory was to rig up a fan for the EPC3925. I had a spare 120mm PC case fan. I simply cut off the 3 pin fan connector and striped back the red and black +&- wires. I then cut a spare USB cable. (We all have 10's of these lying around the house). I joined the 5v Black and red USB power lines to the fan cables. I then plugged the fan into the USB port at the back of the EPC3925. This port is not usable by the end user and only by UPC technicians to hook up diagnostic equipment. However all we need is the 5v power from the port which is indeed active. The 120mm fan running at 5v is silent. I simply sat the fan on top of the casing of the EPC3925.

I will report back whether this ghetto mod to my EPC3925 worked at resolving my regular disconnections during daylight hours.

If you have that much gear why don't you buy a proper router? Doesn't cost much. You can use a second router without "bridging" despite all the moaning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

srsly78 wrote: »
    If you have that much gear why don't you buy a proper router? Doesn't cost much. You can use a second router without "bridging" despite all the moaning here.

It was on my todo list alright. Will be ordering an ASUS RT-N66U when my brothers girlfriend orders her build from Hardwareversand.de in a fortnight. €119 on HVS which is €20 cheaper than Dabs.ie. Will also be tagging on a few other bits and pieces to her order to take advantage of their flat rate €30 Postage fee :D

Can anyone confirm whether or not the UPC phone service and/or Horizon online TV (not the Horizon box) will still work with my EPC3925 in Bridge mode.

Earlier in the thread I read that the phone service doesn't work in Bridged mode but I am not sure whether that meant it didn't work in the hacked bridge mode but maybe does work in the official firmware bridged mode if you get me??

Regardless, my ongoing cooling test on my EPC3925 might turn out to be beneficial to others who won't or can't go the bridging/new router route.

Horizon.TV and phone both work when EPC3925 is in bridge mode. I currently have it working like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

My 3925 has slowed to a halt today, struggling to open any webpage ! Absolute nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm also having issues. Max I get it 50mbps compared to what I'm paying for in 150mbps. Using the Airport express and its been fine up until now

I would be interested in hearing about download speeds from servers located outside Ireland. I thought the WWW extended a little further than the island of Ireland.

Its been my experience that you may not get better than 5Mb to servers in England, slower to Europe, and slower again to USA. I never got better than 1Mb downloading from the USA regardless of the speed between my house to UPC.

miralize wrote: »
    I'm also having issues. Max I get it 50mbps compared to what I'm paying for in 150mbps. Using the Airport express and its been fine up until now

Test via cable, wifi tests are no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Sorry that was extreme and yes it is via cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Didn't notice it as first as I was playing an online game that didn't require a lot of broadband, but once I swapped later in the night to YouTube, noticed the connection has slowed to an absolute crawl, it can't even maintain the stream at 240p without freezing for 30seconds every 5seconds.

Shame, I was just getting used to UPC not doing this bollocks after I had to go through it multiple times scattered over random days over the last month.

Low res CDNs bollox again :/

Advertisement