Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Parkowen

ED E wrote: »
    You have to berate the boards reps for a month straight to get it sorted.

Lol - name them and let my month begin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Parkowen wrote: »
    Lol - name them and let my month begin!!

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Good luck with that ...

Piliger wrote: »
    Good luck with that ...

Large image: http://i.imgur.com/4iuSq4L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

Hi,

I also have a UPC cisco modem - and while we are close to it it is fine (except when the broadband goes ) but downstairs (modem is upstairs) it is really touch n go - it seems the signal is struggling to get through the wall.

I already had a modem change from them as the signal was getting worse (regardless of where I was in the house so it was their signal more so then the wifi) which was ok for a while but now it seems to be more difficult to pick up the wifi signal - even our phones don't pick up the signal unless we are very close to the modem.

So despite a signal dropping more frequently during the day and mainly in the evening the wifi power from the modem is getting weaker so I was thinking of buying a range extender like this which would also render my good old desktop pc hooked on my wifi network. but I'm no expert, was wondering if you had done something similar and what product did you use ?

Thank you
    G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

Slaacer wrote: »
    Hi,

I also have a UPC cisco modem - and while we are close to it it is fine (except when the broadband goes ) but downstairs (modem is upstairs) it is really touch n go - it seems the signal is struggling to get through the wall.

I already had a modem change from them as the signal was getting worse (regardless of where I was in the house so it was their signal more so then the wifi) which was ok for a while but now it seems to be more difficult to pick up the wifi signal - even our phones don't pick up the signal unless we are very close to the modem.

So despite a signal dropping more frequently during the day and mainly in the evening the wifi power from the modem is getting weaker so I was thinking of buying a range extender like this which would also render my good old desktop pc hooked on my wifi network. but I'm no expert, was wondering if you had done something similar and what product did you use ?

Thank you
    G

which modem from upc? the 3925? you can look up comments in here regarding putting the modem into bridge mode, and there's further help with that from online search engines.
    i ended up finally using the 3925 in bridge mode with an asus router that i bought and haven't had any problems (related to the modem, the signal, the pass-through, the reliability) since (unless the signal from upc to the box itself drops out, which it still does).

bridge mode is pretty straight-forward, but setting up the next link in the chain (the repeater or hotspot or second router) can be a little bit technical, if you've never fooled around with (learned about) dhcp and ip addresses and ports. but it's never too late to learn, ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

Update on the solution I opted for :

I looked at the 2 options, buying a proper wireless router to connect to the Cisco 3925 from UPC or buying a wireless range extender and opted for the later one.

Truth is money is really tight and went for the TP-Link from harry norman for €50 and found it really easy to setup and the other reason I went for this is because I have an old desktop pc which works great downstairs but didn't have wifi as the TP-link range extender has an ethernet port I can plug in my desktop pc directly to it and use it on the network from downstairs.

So far so good ! actually writing this response from my desktop pc !

This could be another solutions for people in a similar situation !

G

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

So long as you connect the "range extender" by cable it will work fine. When people actually try to extend their range wirelessly it ends in massive disappointment.

upc exchange -> coax cable -> upc router -> cat5 cable -> second wifi router

Only extra step is to disable dhcp on second router. If this sounds complicated then get a technical mate to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Hi guys,

I can't seem to be able to log in to my router with the passwords available on the forum. Can you help? What's the latest combination available?

You set your own password.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    You set your own password.

could u give some more information on how to do that??

When you go the the login page the first time you get prompted to do it. If you haven't set it yourself it shows you the default in a popup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Ryan451 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Trying to edit my router settings and wondering is the address 196.128.1.1? I can't for the life of me remember the bloody address. Any help would be appreciated.

Almost... 192.168.1.1

srsly78 wrote: »
    When you go the the login page the first time you get prompted to do it. If you haven't set it yourself it shows you the default in a popup.

i don't recall this from happening. is there something i can do in case i have no access now? reset the router maybe?

Yes hold the reset button on the back (may need a pin).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

miralize wrote: »
    Almost... 192.168.1.1

Bloody documentation with my Cisco modem delivered on Friday- had 192.168.0.1 as the IP address. Page timed out and never loaded. I should have looked in here :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i dont know too much about routers and stuff but my epc3925 modem is **** and i dropout alot and my ping is higher now than it was on the 2425. im currently getting 40ms ping :(

can someone reccomend me a router? 70 euro maximum. i just want a lower ping and no/less dropouts and to improve ps3 gaming

I give up with the wireless- its flakey has hell- up and down like a yoyo, and while full speed on some devices (sometimes) barely getting 10-20kbps on others. The wireless is appalling- its trite of the highest order.
    I've gone into settings, turned it off altogether- and hooked a decent Netgear dual band router on in its place (thankyou adverts.ie). Its another E100 I hadn't planned on shelling out- and I am annoyed- but the bloody thing doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I did a thing called cascading my Dual band Linksys E4200 http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=3733

As I have most of the house covered either by Powerline adaptors and ran cat 6 cable down to my living room, so I didn't really need to bridge it over as I found that I was getting speed drops on bridge mode to the Linksys so this cascading works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I had been having problems with my UPC router. BBC Radio 3/4 (my staples!) dropping out within a few minutes of connecting and not reconnecting.

Last night they told me to turn off the router for two minutes and then restart it, when it would download and install any necessary updates automatically - apparently, it had been on continuously for about 2 months.

Been running like a train since.

Fingers crossed!

D.

• Advertisement

i literally just bought a router on ebay and i just read the main post on this forum and the phone will NOT work in bridge mode :O ? so i bought a router for no reason since we have the phone connection :(???

I don't want to be off-topic but even as a UPC customer, I honestly do not know why anyone wants a landline phone service any more.

I don't want to be off-topic but even as a UPC customer, I honestly do not know why anyone wants a landline phone service any more.

my mum uses it. should i be trying to cancel the router or is there a way around this?

Question for the experts on this: What would happen if we split the UPC incoming cable and fed one into the Cisco and the other into a much better router - and disabled the internet service other than the phone service on the Cisco, and enabled it on the new router ? Or is that just a dumb question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

MarkY91 wrote: »
    my mum uses it. should i be trying to cancel the router or is there a way around this?

The phone does work with the EPC3925 in Bridge Mode.

I have my EPC3925 bridged to an Asus RT-N66U router and also have the phone service and I can make and receive calls.

The confusion I think comes from the fact that until we got official bridging in Firmware on the EPC3925 which maintains the phone functionality, people had to upload a hacked HTML file to the EPC3925 to enable bridging. It was this hacked method of bridging that disabled phone functionality.

Question for the experts on this: What would happen if we split the UPC incoming cable and fed one into the Cisco and the other into a much better router - and disabled the internet service other than the phone service on the Cisco, and enabled it on the new router ? Or is that just a dumb question ?

Done with a Netgear N600.
    Note- the gateway on the netgear dynamically reconfigured itself (as it clashed with Cisco's assigned address). No intervention was needed- just got a popup in the admin program advising it was being changed to remedy a conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

We have a UPC landline - the €47 p/m BB/phone package.

We can phone relatives abroad on their landlines as often as we like, for as long as we like, for free. Can't do that with a mobile phone.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    We have a UPC landline - the €47 p/m BB/phone package.

We can phone relatives abroad on their landlines as often as we like, for as long as we like, for free. Can't do that with a mobile phone.

D.

You can, just use a voip service like blueface.ie or whatever over wifi. Is pretty much the same thing.

Calibos wrote: »
    The phone does work with the EPC3925 in Bridge Mode.

Incorrect. This used to be the case when the 3925 first launched, but hasnt been for a long time. You can bridge and keep the phone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Incorrect. This used to be the case when the 3925 first launched, but hasnt been for a long time. You can bridge and keep the phone ;)

No wonder MarkY91 was confused.

I tell him his phone will indeed work with a bridged epc3925

.......and you tell me that I am 'incorrect',

that in fact...get this...his phone will indeed work with a bridged epc3925

:D:D

"Sir, I need you to blow into this device until the three red lights turn green...."

:D:D

Advertisement