Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Calibos wrote: »
    No wonder MarkY91 was confused.

I tell him his phone will indeed work with a bridged epc3925

.......and you tell me that I am 'incorrect',

that in fact...get this...his phone will indeed work with a bridged epc3925

:D:D

"Sir, I need you to blow into this device until the three red lights turn green...."

:D:D

Sh1t. My mistake. Apologies for misreading your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 agentcrow

I upgraded to there 120mb's last week also had an engineer out to replace cables and still coming nowhere near that number.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3052414101.png

Also should the modem be showing an orange light??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

me too and you tube is next to impossible to use in hd on 150mb broadband very disappointed engineer out twice and still the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Speed measurements are not necessarily accurate. Were there loads of other people sharing your internet at the time? Was it done via a cable or via wifi?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd echo the above comment. I can't watch You-tube in HD over wifi (even using a Netgear N600 on my 150Mb connection)- however its flawless on the wired connection.

Using Speedtest.net- I'm actually registering 175Mb down (remarkable given my connection isn't supposed to be this fast) and a consistent upload of 12-13Mb (with a 10Mb advertised speed).

Where possible- use a wired connection. If using wireless- accept you're going to have a degraded performance. Simple as.

• Advertisement

Unless you can install a QoS (quality of service) router yourself then plan on having degraded performance with multiple users. This is actually pretty easy and cheap (e100 or so), but needs some basic networking knowledge to setup.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Unless you can install a QoS (quality of service) router yourself then plan on having degraded performance with multiple users. This is actually pretty easy and cheap (e100 or so), but needs some basic networking knowledge to setup.

If you don't have networking knowledge- pick up an N600 or better- even on adverts- theoretically you can get up to 300Mbps on it (depending of course on the wireless card in your laptop- ordinary N cards, can't make use of wide spectrum channel banding, and indeed- if you're looking at an Atheros- you may even be missing upper and lower channel cover). Me- I normally get whatever Intels latest wireless card is as an engineering sample from China (and make damn sure I get what I think I'm getting)- and max out whatever I can from current technology. Regardless of how you do it though- you're not going to get as good a connection wireless, as you will from wired- even in optimal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi all

I just upgraded to 120mb with UPC.

I'm getting 122mb on a wired connection but on wireless I'm getting between 15-40mb.

Another poster tells me that 40mb is the max Wireless speed through that UPC box without an N wireless card & the UPC salesperson let that one slip.

I assume I will have to buy a new router ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I'm getting 122mb on a wired connection but on wireless I'm getting between 15-40mb.

This topic has been done to death in this thread...you should read back for some excellent explanations.

In short Wifi is a limited resource so you will never get anything like wired speed over it and you shouldn't expect it. The routers/cards are sold as x 100 Mbs but that is just theory and does not happen in real life.

If you want the full speed available to you then you need a wired connection. Failing that powerline adapters might give you better speeds and the last option should be wifi.

Last point this really has nothing to do with UPC

Yep UPC just provide you with an internet connection, they do not set up your LAN for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

bealtine wrote: »
    Last point this really has nothing to do with UPC
    Not responding as an expert ... but it DOES have a lot to do with UPC in our cases, as the router they provide is such a heap of wifi €#¢§.

Piliger wrote: »
    Not responding as an expert ... but it DOES have a lot to do with UPC in our cases, as the router they provide is such a heap of wifi €#¢§.

Turn off wifi on it- and buy a proper wifi router- and configure it properly. Its what most of us eventually do. Aside from anything else- some of us may have cloned MAC addresses and played around in other areas too- so it makes sense to use our own hardware.

The wifi on that router is crap of the highest order though- I have to concur.

Turn off wifi on it- and buy a proper wifi router- and configure it properly. Its what most of us eventually do. Aside from anything else- some of us may have cloned MAC addresses and played around in other areas too- so it makes sense to use our own hardware.

The wifi on that router is crap of the highest order though- I have to concur.

What router would you recommend ?

I'm using a Netgear N600- as it gave me most bang for my buck- cost a little over 100. If you pop onto Adverts here- there are a few of these for sale- at considerably less than retail- if you're going for this one in particular- make sure its a Rev 4 (it has a much better chipset than previous revisions).

There are loads of different routers out there though- you need to do your research.

The router is just one part of the equation.
    The other part of the equation is the wireless card in your laptop.
    In most cases its junk of the highest order- it works, but just because its functional doesn't mean you're maximising the potential of your wifi.

Ask any of the Intel guys for a few engineering samples- they're quite generous with them, and swap out the wifi card for a better one. Make sure you know the type of card you're looking for- e.g. a mini-pci-e card is not the same as a half height PCI-e card etc etc etc.

Do your research- get the best possible kit that you can afford- and try to get cards and a router that work optimally with one another. After that- its fancy lego- and some minor configuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Piliger wrote: »

Well yes perhaps but it's still not their responsibility, granted that's a catch-22 but that's the way it is...as others have pointed out get a real router. I like TP-LINK stuff and so far it's been good for me...and never expect wifi to give you much more than you are already getting anyway.

See this : http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=374
    for a guide as to what to expect in the real world

The UPC routers are indeed a total piece of crap...

I'm using a Netgear N600- as it gave me most bang for my buck- cost a little over 100. If you pop onto Adverts here- there are a few of these for sale- at considerably less than retail- if you're going for this one in particular- make sure its a Rev 4 (it has a much better chipset than previous revisions).

There are loads of different routers out there though- you need to do your research.

The router is just one part of the equation.
    The other part of the equation is the wireless card in your laptop.
    In most cases its junk of the highest order- it works, but just because its functional doesn't mean you're maximising the potential of your wifi.

Ask any of the Intel guys for a few engineering samples- they're quite generous with them, and swap out the wifi card for a better one. Make sure you know the type of card you're looking for- e.g. a mini-pci-e card is not the same as a half height PCI-e card etc etc etc.

Do your research- get the best possible kit that you can afford- and try to get cards and a router that work optimally with one another. After that- its fancy lego- and some minor configuring.

Its not just the laptop though. I'm getting the same low speeds on Ipad mini & iphone 4 :(

Its not just the laptop though. I'm getting the same low speeds on Ipad mini & iphone 4 :(

Start with the router- its an obvious issue- and then work your way out.
    Obviously you can't upgrade the wireless in your Ipad mini or your iphone- you can though in your laptop.

Fix the obvious things- and then play with the less obvious things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

bridged the epc3925 today with the netgear n600. working fine so far. ill have a google and find out what to change in the netgears configuration pages

MarkY91 wrote: »
    bridged the epc3925 today with the netgear n600. working fine so far. ill have a google and find out what to change in the netgears configuration pages

What speeds you getting on wireless with that setup.
    It looks like the best way to go is bridge my epc3925 with a high speed router

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

What speeds you getting on wireless with that setup.
    It looks like the best way to go is bridge my epc3925 with a high speed router

about the same as before i bridged. i wasnt having many problems except the odd disconnection from gaming on ps3 though

i just did a test there and i seem to max out my connection on alot of tests since bridging

3071639436.png

im not sure how im getting 53mbs download when im only on a 50mbs package though lol

no sign of dropouts in the past 24 hours and my laptop is getting 5 bar connection when it would normally get 4 bar because it has a crap card inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Anyone have speed issues yesterday. I'm on 150mb package and only receiving 30mb ish yesterday ?

Dak

dak wrote: »
    Anyone have speed issues yesterday. I'm on 150mb package and only receiving 30mb ish yesterday ?

Dak

Depends on time of day- I find evening really poor- but later on it zooms up again and its great in the morning until about 7.30AM when it starts to go way down again.........

I'm on the 150Mb as well- most of the time I get over 100Mb- but sometimes its as low as 20Mbs (and quite regularly my upload may actually be faster than my download).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

Anyone on UPC having speed issues at the moment, mine starting crawling in Dublin 14 about half an hour ago?

I'm on the 100mb package.
    3074589478.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

BadTeacher wrote: »
    Anyone on UPC having speed issues at the moment, mine starting crawling in Dublin 14 about half an hour ago?

I'm on the 100mb package.
    3074589478.png

Yep can't even reach a lot of sites currently.

Ok (rather than good) in Lucan- this is on a 150Mb connection:

3074647286.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I usually get about 50-60mb/sec on a 150mb connection using the EPC3925 cable modem.
    When I physically wire it with lan cable I get 155mb/sec.

anyway, my question is, I have switched to the 200mb package. will the EPC3925 handle this? I'm guessing its good up to 300mb/sec connection speed? Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Got a new Dell XPS 8700 yesterday. Changed all modem cables to Cat 6 . Using CISCO 3925 and getting 168mb on the 150mb package. Happy days !

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

does the 200 Mb package works on horizon box or do you need different modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just posting here to see if anyone else has had the same issues with UPC and the Cisco EPC3925. I was happily on the 30Mb package and upgraded to 50Mb three weeks ago and have had nothing but problems since.

Every evening at about 6.30 until about ten pm the internet is dropping and resetting, the phone line is unusable and it is driving me insane. Have been in contact with UPC but they sent the tech out during the day when there is never a problem, and say they cannot do anything at night due to "health & safety" concerns.

During the day my signal to noise ratios are between 39 dB on channel 1 to 35 on channel 8. Then they start dropping and when they get to about 29dB I start losing downstream channels, channels 5-8 first and then the first four channels. If I am on the phone during this time the call quality starts to get all "digitised" and then drops, this can take anything from 2 to 15 mins to happen.

So far I am checked all my internal cabling, moved the modem over next to the input so the cable length is only 3 feet, added ferrite cores to the coax input and the PSU lead to reduce RFI, the connection at the side of the house has been stripped and rewired by UPC and they have lifted the manhole and checked the tap there at the kerbside twice also.

Has anyone else any idea what could be causing this, is it purely driven by demand on the network leading to lower SNR or is there some other interference effect going on? I am at my wits end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Picked up a netgear N600 from adverts today, it has my head wrecked already, I set my 3295 to bridge mode, switched of wireless on it and set up the n600. I've an Ethernet cable going from 3925 in the internet port on the n600, and it's working fine, getting over 90mb on speedtest on ipad while in same room as n600.

However, I've 4 wired devices connected and none of them are getting internet, is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Also, I decided on the n600 as I was told that the wifi range is excellent on it, well I'm in bed now, directly above the room where the n600 is and on the ipad I barely have one bar lit up on the wifi display, this can't be right!

Advertisement