Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Picked up a netgear N600 from adverts today, it has my head wrecked already, I set my 3295 to bridge mode, switched of wireless on it and set up the n600. I've an Ethernet cable going from 3925 in the internet port on the n600, and it's working fine, getting over 90mb on speedtest on ipad while in same room as n600.

However, I've 4 wired devices connected and none of them are getting internet, is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Also, I decided on the n600 as I was told that the wifi range is excellent on it, well I'm in bed now, directly above the room where the n600 is and on the ipad I barely have one bar lit up on the wifi display, this can't be right!

I have tried many routers... maybe 4 or 5, net gear, belkin, cisco etc etc... One nice day I bought airport extreme and can't complain. Easiest setup EVER, great signal and never let me down. On the previous router, I had following problems - internet just stopped working on my phone or laptop and I had to turn the wifi off and on to make it work again. Wit airport, It just works - all the time. And the new model has the fast wifi AC and even better signal. You can get it here http://store.apple.com/ie/product/ME918B/A/airport-extreme?fnode=4d

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Picked up a netgear N600 from adverts today, it has my head wrecked already, I set my 3295 to bridge mode, switched of wireless on it and set up the n600. I've an Ethernet cable going from 3925 in the internet port on the n600, and it's working fine, getting over 90mb on speedtest on ipad while in same room as n600.

However, I've 4 wired devices connected and none of them are getting internet, is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Also, I decided on the n600 as I was told that the wifi range is excellent on it, well I'm in bed now, directly above the room where the n600 is and on the ipad I barely have one bar lit up on the wifi display, this can't be right!

Use 5Ghz for speed- and 2.4Ghz for distance. Unfortunately they appear to be mutually exclusive (aka- you'll only get speed and distance in optimal circumstances).

Also- have a gawk at what wifi is active around you- and then choose clear/free channels- as your defaults. Defaulting to Japan instead of Ireland or the US gives you access to some lower 5Ghz bandwith (with better range). In the 2.4Ghz band- if you specify an EU country- the default is almost never above '9' as 10-11-12-13 are reserved for military use in Spain (and France restricts them for other reasons). For totally clear coverage- at amazing range- but only at 'b' speeds- choose Japan again- which unlocks channel 14 for you.......

Loads of tricks you can play to improve your wifi reception.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I have the Cisco EPC3925 Router. I constantly lost connection. The router seems to just reset itself (or at least the WiFi) at random. It seems to be extremely random though. All day today it was fine, but in the last two hours i have had constant ping spikes (over 100, usually its 35-40) and total drops (WiFi disappears for 2/3 minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭twilightsection

BadTeacher wrote: »
    Anyone on UPC having speed issues at the moment, mine starting crawling in Dublin 14 about half an hour ago?

I'm on the 100mb package.
    3074589478.png

Yep. I live in Dublin 1 and speeds have been awful lately. Technician was supposed to call on Thursday but he didn't bother his hole. Speeds drop to below 10mb from 6pm to 2am. Ping times have been recorded at over 500ms - you'd be quicker pinging the moon!

Really getting sick of paying for a service that does not deliver (except between the hours for 2am and 5pm!)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use 5Ghz for speed- and 2.4Ghz for distance. Unfortunately they appear to be mutually exclusive (aka- you'll only get speed and distance in optimal circumstances).

Also- have a gawk at what wifi is active around you- and then choose clear/free channels- as your defaults. Defaulting to Japan instead of Ireland or the US gives you access to some lower 5Ghz bandwith (with better range). In the 2.4Ghz band- if you specify an EU country- the default is almost never above '9' as 10-11-12-13 are reserved for military use in Spain (and France restricts them for other reasons). For totally clear coverage- at amazing range- but only at 'b' speeds- choose Japan again- which unlocks channel 14 for you....

N600 has two models, 3700 and 3800 but both have dual transmitters so you can use 2.4 and 5 at the same time. Leave all the phones and stuff on the 2.4 and keep the 5 for laptops streaming HD content etc.

Korvanica wrote: »
    I have the Cisco EPC3925 Router. I constantly lost connection. The router seems to just reset itself (or at least the WiFi) at random. It seems to be extremely random though. All day today it was fine, but in the last two hours i have had constant ping spikes (over 100, usually its 35-40) and total drops (WiFi disappears for 2/3 minutes).

Its junk. It likes to f'ck up. Id advise bridging it.
    Yep. I live in Dublin 1 and speeds have been awful lately. Technician was supposed to call on Thursday but he didn't bother his hole. Speeds drop to below 10mb from 6pm to 2am. Ping times have been recorded at over 500ms - you'd be quicker pinging the moon!

Really getting sick of paying for a service that does not deliver (except between the hours for 2am and 5pm!)

I had a saga with this, see my started threads for more. Was yo-yoing from 30 to 1 to 30. They resolved it but never said how. Two drops in the last two days though which is worrying.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    I had a saga with this, see my started threads for more. Was yo-yoing from 30 to 1 to 30. They resolved it but never said how. Two drops in the last two days though which is worrying.

A rep got back to me this morning and said that they have identified the issue in the area and that it would be rectified in the new year (Q1). This makes no sense to me. They never said what the issue was.

First of all the speeds are great up until 7pm then drop to around 5mb until 2 am - most probably due to congestion. But even then speeds should not drop to these kinds of levels. So what exactly is the problem.

Secondly, if there is an issue in the area then why have they not contacted all of the users who are effected by this issue? And will they be reducing their bill until the issue has been rectified??

And also - Q1 sounds like pure waffle to me. I'm paying almost 100 euro a month for broadband that might not be fixed until March 31st - I'm going to assume that as they cannot give me an exact date other than Q1.

Does it match this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056836825

This was the pattern we had:

97M7UKC.png

ED E wrote: »
    Does it match this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056836825

This was the pattern we had:

97M7UKC.png

Your speeds are actually better than mine. My average falls below the 10mb mark. They would not go into specifics in relation to the problem but are more than willing to take my 100 euros a month off me.

They also suggested I use my internet during off peak hours (2am to 7pm) - you know the hours I spend in bed and in work. In other words give them money for nothing. Shower of spoofers. I'm going to mention it to other people in the building. The majority of them probably won't have noticed but they also shouldn't be paying for a service that they are not receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just got horizon yesterday but it took the bones of 24 hours to get connected, im shocked at how slow the internet is as we had 50 meg fiber with UPC and it was very fast. Apparently they said it speeds up after a day or so, is this correct?

ZCGKkqh.png

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

silverharp wrote: »
    just got horizon yesterday but it took the bones of 24 hours to get connected, im shocked at how slow the internet is as we had 50 meg fiber with UPC and it was very fast. Apparently they said it speeds up after a day or so, is this correct?

Do you have a Router?

if yes, did you unplug it for 60 seconds. Speed increase took effect for me after 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Do you have a Router?

if yes, did you unplug it for 60 seconds. Speed increase took effect for me after 20 minutes.

I have a cisco EPC2425 that we got with the previous box but didn't reconnect it, is the new box not supposed to replace it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I'm using the EPC3925. As far as i know the EPC2425 is not suitable for 100mb +. If the new router you were sent is not giving you 100+ speeds, i'd ring UPC in the morning see if they changed you over to the new speeds.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I'm using the EPC3925. As far as i know the EPC2425 is not suitable for 100mb +. If the new router you were sent is not giving you 100+ speeds, i'd ring UPC in the morning see if they changed you over to the new speeds.

thanks, ill give it til tomorrow afternoon and give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheCountEIRE

Just got one of these with a recent "upgrade", thankfully still have the old cisco EPC3925, on a UPC set up. 120megs fibre optics line so should be no problems....

Wireless is absolutely pathetic, neither router has the range to reach my room, (houseshare with mates) and this is a disaster as i dont have a laptop only a desktop and no phone with wi fi capabilities,

It seems my best option is to bridge the old cisco and buy a new router? Problem is the old cisco is limited to the old 60meg connection, can i even buy a new router altogether? I've heard UPC dont allow you to change it?

Can anyone link me to a walkthrough of the bridging and also recommend a good router with a strong wireless for reasonable money, talking maybe 50 quid upper limit here! or any other solutions that might be helpful.

The whole situation is a bit of a joke at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

get a range extender and stick it at a halfway point. will add around a 15-30ms ping on however if u plan on gaming.. nothing serious though for something which can cost 10-15 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Nooooo never ever use a range extender (these are just repeaters and halve your bandwidth). Get powerline adapters and setup a 2nd wifi with same name and security settings. For your desktop just directly connect through powerline. Don't use wifi at all if possible. When you do get a proper wifi router, set it to use 5Ghz wifi N for best speed.

Best solution of all is of course to run ethernet cable, but this may not be an option.

Bridge the EPC onto a proper router with QoS - in confunction with the above then you will have the best possible setup. Note that you probably do want to get an engineer mate to help.

Decent routers cost about e100, would not recommend any that cost e50 or less. I use a Draytek enterprise router but this is overkill. I would not recommend buying one of these without the basic networking knowledge to configure it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

get a range extender and stick it at a halfway point. will add around a 15-30ms ping on however if u plan on gaming.. nothing serious though for something which can cost 10-15 quid

Let me draw you a picture.

UPC cable modem <
    powerline or ethernet
    > Bridged router with wifi <----powerline or ethernet----> Second wifi access point

No range extending nonsense.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Let me draw you a picture.

UPC cable modem <
    powerline or ethernet
    > Bridged router with wifi <----powerline or ethernet----> Second wifi access point

No range extending nonsense.

Cheers for all the suggestions lads, but unfortunately the EPC is limited to 60 meg (by UPC), and the new Tc7200 supports no bridge. I cant use another router as i must use UPC's pathetic hardware for some reason, their only solution is to "buy a wi fi extender" which wont do much as i can get ANY signal in my room, direct connection is not possible also, all i got left is to either get a better router and plug it into the ethernet port on the Tc7200, get a longer ethernet/coaxial cable and put the router in a better position or just get a new ISP provider, and after the 90 quid bill i got for "Installation" of hardware that dosent work and they didnt install themselves, im leaning greatly towards the latter.

You don't need to use bridge mode, this will work without it.

1. Connect 2nd router to upc router via ethernet or powerline adapters.
    2. Disable dhcp on one of your routers - in other words make sure there is only 1 dhcp server.
    3. Make sure the wifi settings on both routers have the same security, ssid and password etc, your devices should seamlessly connect to both, and transition from one to the other.

Stop talking about range extenders, they are a complete waste of time and may even make things worse. The solution outlined here effectively does give you "range extension" but uses a physical connection between the 2 routers rather than a wireless one. This means your wireless network will not be completely gimped.

Bridge mode and QoS (quality of service) are just the icing on the cake, to make things even better. Get basic stuff working before worrying about this.

When measuring your internet speed do NOT do test over wifi!! This is absolutely meaningless, always use a physical connection. Note that many powerline adapters only have a 100mbit ethernet port, so check before you buy.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    You don't need to use bridge mode, this will work without it.

1. Connect 2nd router to upc router via ethernet or powerline adapters.
    2. Disable dhcp on one of your routers - in other words make sure there is only 1 dhcp server.
    3. Make sure the wifi settings on both routers have the same security, ssid and password etc, your devices should seamlessly connect to both, and transition from one to the other.

Stop talking about range extenders, they are a complete waste of time and may even make things worse. The solution outlined here effectively does give you "range extension" but uses a physical connection between the 2 routers rather than a wireless one. This means your wireless network will not be completely gimped.

Bridge mode and QoS (quality of service) are just the icing on the cake, to make things even better. Get basic stuff working before worrying about this.

When measuring your internet speed do NOT do test over wifi!! This is absolutely meaningless, always use a physical connection. Note that many powerline adapters only have a 100mbit ethernet port, so check before you buy.

Cheers man, this should do nicely, will try this as soon as possible!

Thanks very much.

I would (almost) recommend you buy this product: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DHB2T44

"TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-FI Extender with Two LAN Ports Starter Kit"

It gives you powerline network adapters with built-in wifi. So kills two birds with one stone. Those bad reviews on amazon are from people that do not know how to setup basic network stuff unfortunately. Remember you only want one dhcp server on the network.

The only gotcha is that the ethernet sockets are limited to 100mbit... Am pretty sure you will be happy anyway...

Yes it's confusing when everyone is talking about "extending" your wifi, and it meaning completely different things....

A: Linking two routers via wireless (aka "range extender")= very very bad, your wifi bandwidth gets wasted!
    B: Linking two routers via ethernet/powerline = good!

End result for both of the above = an extended wifi network. But solution B gives much better bandwidth and latency.

This is a better product (has gigabit ethernet sockets) but does not have built-in wifi :(
    ZyXEL-4-Port-Powerline-Gigabit-Switch http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-4-Port-Powerline-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B0062H6GDU
    Also it doesn't come in a "starter kit", you need a second powerline adapter to link with it. And you also need a second wifi access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

Just saw this thread - am wrestling with an EPC2435 at the moment

Am trying to set up a Chromecast but it doesn't appear/can't connect through my router. I tried with a different router in someone elses house and worked fine. But I can't figure out whats going on here

It seems that I need to disable AP/Client isolation but I can't find any reference to it in the product manual.

Is it a lost cause? Or has anyone had success with this?

Just don't use the epc 2425, install your own router to manage your network (you need to retain the upc router for it's cable modem but that's it). Lots of instructions in this thread.

Just saw this thread - am wrestling with an EPC2435 at the moment

Am trying to set up a Chromecast but it doesn't appear/can't connect through my router. I tried with a different router in someone elses house and worked fine. But I can't figure out whats going on here

It seems that I need to disable AP/Client isolation but I can't find any reference to it in the product manual.

Is it a lost cause? Or has anyone had success with this?

Its more the chromecast than the modem, it seems to do it with a lot of modems. Finicky little bollox. As above, bridge to a decent router would probably work out best.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭otterj

i am trying to set the time of day rule but when set the times the internet can still be connected to. any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

Hey, everytime I turn off a device connected by ethernet the internet disappears, both wired and wireless. The lights on the box stay exactly the same but all wireless devices lose the WiFi signal and all wired devices lose internet.
    I use a HTPC to watch TV, its hooked up via ethernet and gets turned on and off pretty regularly so this is driving me crazy!!

Can't find this problem anywhere else so hoping someone has come across it here.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Is it true that the Cisco 3925 is not capable of reaching 50Mb? THat's what I was told when UPC sent me this Technicolor ****box.
    Any truth in it?
    A friedn of mine has got speeds of 177Mb with it, so it seems UPC lied to send out their cheapo Technicolours.
    This confirms that they are capable of up to 426Mb:
    http://networkequipment.net/2010/11/16/cisco-router-comparsion-of-new-models-speed/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is it true that the Cisco 3925 is not capable of reaching 50Mb? THat's what I was told when UPC sent me this Technicolor ****box.
    Any truth in it?

None whatsoever, it certainly is capable of achieving those high speeds mentioned in your post.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

None whatsoever, it certainly is capable of achieving those high speeds mentioned in your post.
    I suspected that alright. I still have my cisco at home, I'll call them tonight to get them to activate it.

Advertisement