Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

So what's the best way to get UPC to replace my ****ty Technicolour with a Cisco? I am having to restart it every 2 days at least and the wifi is flaky. And I would like to have my own router back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

So what's the best way to get UPC to replace my ****ty Technicolour with a Cisco? I am having to restart it every 2 days at least and the wifi is flaky. And I would like to have my own router back.

The Cisco isn't much better- be careful what you wish for- you just might get it........ (and all that).......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

So i upgraded from 30Mb to 120Mb. I was reading that downstream should be between -15 & +15. I am having some dropouts whereas it was flawless on the EPC2203 modem. Could you guys have a look

hOQxaWX.png

Sorry for the second post in a row but i feel that it is important.

So i was playing BF4 tonight and i noticed some bad lag in game so i ran a continuous ping to google.ie.

Every 15 or so seconds i was getting pings of 1500 roughly.

I googled the issue and i noticed a post on upc.nl. The guy basically said that once he disabled UPnP the pings were back to normal.

For the last 30 minutes i have found this to be the case.

Has anyone else who plays ping sensitive games notice this issue before?

(I have not got around to trying my Asus RT-N16 in Bridged mode yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Hello all,

Is there any chance anybody with the EPC3925 who has bridged mode switched on would be willing to send me a backup of their modem config file?

Mine is stuck on the broken April 2013 firmware, which both throws a 403 error when you try the injection trick at the start of this thread, and doesn't have the option built in.

However, this version definitely does do bridging - it was happily doing it the other day as I had it set up before it updated its firmware. I stupidly reset it and didn't back up the configuration first. I'm wondering if it can be switched via the config file.

Thanks!
    Andrew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

I have a Cisco EPC2525, that I want to put into bridge mode.

However, there is no 'Gateway Mode' in the Modem settings as per the instructions in the OP.
    Bridge mode setup. Go to Setup - Basic Settings - Gateway Mode and change it to Bridge.
    You may need to restart the modem at this point.
    Once done, the built-in router will be disabled, and you can attach your own router to the modem.

What do I do now?

iR4wFWh.jpg

I have a Cisco EPC2525, that I want to put into bridge mode.

However, there is no 'Gateway Mode' in the Modem settings as per the instructions in the OP.

What do I do now?

If you do not have "Gateway Mode", then you will need to follow the instructions on this thread to enable it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758726

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stranger1011

Recently got the UPC 200 mb Horizon bundle.

I was using the Horizon box with an Ethernet cable to my PC and on speedtest.net I was getting 75-100mbs.

I got my new modem delivered today and i'm only getting 28.42 mbs on speedtest.net

Called UPC and they said I was definitely getting 200mbs wired to my house and that the new modem would be able to handle 200mbs.

I know there is megabites and megabytes, am I just completely confused and i'm actually getting the correct speed?

I'm just wondering because with my old bundle (30mb) when I used speedtest.net I always got around 30, whilst with my new (200mb) bundle i'm getting 28.50mbs.

My router is a Technicolor TC7200

3392488439.png

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Were all tests done with ethernet cable? If using wifi then you would be bottlenecked to wifi speed, likely slower than 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stranger1011

srsly78 wrote: »
    Were all tests done with ethernet cable? If using wifi then you would be bottlenecked to wifi speed, likely slower than 200.

Ethernet cable.

I was just on the phone with UPC I was told to try the speed is safe mode and it's 200Mb when I do the tests, so it seems to fault lies in my computer somewhere.

Does anyone have any idea what to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

Ethernet cable.

I was just on the phone with UPC I was told to try the speed is safe mode and it's 200Mb when I do the tests, so it seems to fault lies in my computer somewhere.

Does anyone have any idea what to do?

I find mine maxes out around 40 on speedtest.net when it should be 120, however on usenet I can get around 100 (to be fair 50 is the average). I think people in the know generally don't recommend speedtest sites for seeing the true potential of your connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

This happens me about 25 times a day at least. Is there anything that can be done or should I just leave UPC?

In a similar situation, never had a problem with upc until about a month ago. I was getting a drop or two a day so they replaced my old thomson with a cisco epc3925. Now its even worse, the router seems to s**t itself at the sign of any large amounts of traffic.

Does anyone know if the the cisco ep3925 has an event log page anywhere that will show the disconnects? I had a look but couldn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I'm having trouble connecting a Windows 7 machine to an epc2425 router over wireless, it cannot connect. I've been able to connect 2 other laptops without any problems. I've also tried to connect the problem laptop to 2 other friends UPC modems and it connects no problem.

So it's just the combination of the router and this particular machine that is the issue. I also cannot connect to the router config page (192.168.1.1) as I don't know the username and password. (i've tried blanks, admin, password etc.)

Any ideas on how to progress as I'm pretty stumped. It detects the modem and asks for the identification key just doesn't connect. I've compared every setting with a laptop that works and they are identical.

masterK wrote: »
    I'm having trouble connecting a Windows 7 machine to an epc2425 router over wireless, it cannot connect. I've been able to connect 2 other laptops without any problems. I've also tried to connect the problem laptop to 2 other friends UPC modems and it connects no problem.

So it's just the combination of the router and this particular machine that is the issue. I also cannot connect to the router config page (192.168.1.1) as I don't know the username and password. (i've tried blanks, admin, password etc.)

Any ideas on how to progress as I'm pretty stumped. It detects the modem and asks for the identification key just doesn't connect. I've compared every setting with a laptop that works and they are identical.

The wifi card may be an old one that won't connect to class N network, or use wpa2 or whatever. Either that or you have dodgy drivers. Sometimes windows will not automatically install a good driver, do it manually - download from manufacturer. This is a known problem with some atheros wifi cards, some work fine with class G wifi but will not connect at all to class N (until they get driver update).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

srsly78 wrote: »
    The wifi card may be an old one that won't connect to class N network, or use wpa2 or whatever. Either that or you have dodgy drivers. Sometimes windows will not automatically install a good driver, do it manually - download from manufacturer. This is a known problem with some atheros wifi cards, some work fine with class G wifi but will not connect at all to class N (until they get driver update).

The same laptop can connect to another Cisco modem (also UPC) in a different house so I'd expect the network class to be fine. I check for updates of the driver and they were up to date. I'll try to manually check online from the manufacturer for an updated driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Dont know if this actually made a difference yet but it appears to have so far
    I changed in LAN settings, Client Lease Time to 9999.

I'll give it a go and report back. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 davedenise47

Hi all, I am on UPC 120mb fibre Broadband and using a Cisco EPC3925. While plugged in directly i am getting the full speed, however on wifi I am only getting about 40mb. I was told to purchase a Netgear Powerline AV500 wifi booster. I have one of the devices connected into the router but I am getting a flashing orange light on the router now from the LAN connection. I am still only getting 40mb speed so it hasnt really made a difference. When I connect the LAN cable into the laptop the light goes green. Is anybody else having this issue and found a solution and increase the speed on wifi?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wireless N will get you up to 60/70 in good conditons. If you want 100Mb wireless you need to buy and 802.11AC router and chip for your laptop.

Thank you Ed E. I have changed the setting but still only getting 45mb. I would be happy with around 70-80mb, but I would be expecting that with the Netgear booster I bought.

Just to confuse things even more there is 5ghz wifi N and the older 2.2ghz wifi N. 5ghz gives more bandwidth. Note that many wifi hotspots runs in "mixed mode" b/g/n it will fall back onto the lowest standard needed. So if someone has an old laptop it will drag the whole network down to the old standard. You can change the settings to N only to avoid this, and set up another hotspot for "legacy users".

Also note that this wifi bandwidth is shared between all the clients connected. If you have a big house with multiple users, then you probably want to set up multiple wifi hotspots.

If your laptop does not have a modern wifi card, then there is no point setting up a fast wifi hotspot. The client needs upgrading as well. I get 70-80 here with various devices using wifi N 5ghz, but visitors with old gear can't connect to this.

If you are really that obsessed with speed, just don't use wifi...

• Advertisement

it had been on b/g/n alright and there are older laptop on the same wifi. So am I righ tin saying that I should put them on the legacy wifi and to put the newer of the laptops on the newer netgear booster? Any ideas on the orange light on the router? is this normal?

I'm not that obsessed with speed, but I think it would be faster than 40 odd mb

The orange light may mean it's operating at 2.2ghz. The one I have lights up green for 2.2, and changes to blue for 5ghz.

Try changing the router to N only, then do speed test. If that gives you lots of speed then you might consider setting up a second legacy wifi for older devices. Some more expensive wifi routers can do "2 in one", 2 seperate hotspots rather than mixed mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I recently upgraded from 30mb to 120mb and my god the drop in performance is shocking. Granted I use it over Wi-Fi but I'm obviously not expecting to get 120mb down over the air but I used to get 30mb 99% over WiFi when I was only on 30mb.

Now I average about 7mb, depending on the time of day. Quality of service is also terrible now, any online multiplayer game I play is incredibly laggy and it was never like that when I was on the 30mb. What is the problem, is it the technicolor modem or what?

I rang UPC but they were no help really, they told me to change my security to WPA2-PSK, which made absolutely no difference.

Firstly test over cable to make sure internet is actually working ok.

Secondly, set up your own router - with better wifi and QoS etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lukker- wrote: »
    I rang UPC but they were no help really, they told me to change my security to WPA2-PSK, which made absolutely no difference.

What a wonderful way to fob people off..........
    Try a wired connection- if you have your speed on wired- the issue is with your wireless connection.
    I'd concur with the above assessment- disable wifi on the supplied modem- and use your own decent wifi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

I have a Cisco EPC2425 and have been trying unsuccessfully to connect a third party router.

The EPC2425 doesn't allow direct access to the Bridge Mode setting, but I was able to access it using http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp.

However, when I enable bridge mode, I can't get a connection to the net. I've tried this with a new Asus RT-AC66U router and an older TPLINK DI-524 (which worked fine some years back with the older Scientific Atlanta cable modem).

Is bridge mode broken on the EPC2425?

You don't need bridge mode. Just make sure only 1 device is running dhcp. If there is some specific thing you need like port-forwarding, then try the DMZ method.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi guys,
    Just reset the modem fully and tried username and password both blank and it refuses to let me into the settings menu!? Any suggestions??

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just reset the modem fully and tried username and password both blank and it refuses to let me into the settings menu!? Any suggestions??

Cheers,
    M

Try blank/admin instead of blank/blank

• Advertisement

In my experience dropouts on upc were caused by wan problems, not by local issues. The issues just stopped for me once upc fixed whatever on their end. Replacing router and messing with local settings did not help.

Wifi appearing connected means nothing, you can still be connected to your local network - but if the wan goes down you won't have internet.

Advertisement