Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

For anyone interested here are the differences in speed I got over the standard cisco router to powerline adapters over my 120mb line.

WIFI:
    AOLyZB5.jpg

Powerline:
    xeUNcrh.jpg

I'm using the TPlink AV500 Gigabit.

Very happy with that result tbh, I'll report back in a few days about the stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I get that speed over wifi, via a second router connected to main router via powerlines. Wifi set to 5ghz N only.

TPLinks are good, but annoying to update firmware. Devolos are better in this regard. I have a mix of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Lukker- wrote: »
    For anyone interested here are the differences in speed I got over the standard cisco router to powerline adapters over my 120mb line.

I'm getting between 30Mb/s and 50Mb/s over the AV200s on a 200Mb/s line from UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I'm getting between 30Mb/s and 50Mb/s over the AV200s on a 200Mb/s line from UPC.

You'd really need a powerline adapter with a Gigabit port to get anything close to even 100mb.

No. AV500 powerlines with 100mbit ports can get 100mbits.

You need gigabit ports to get MORE than 100mbit, which is a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Also depends on the cabling in the house. Yeah I was looking at the new models Are they the AV600s? They don't has a pass through model yet, so I'm going to hold out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rdosemyfeet

Hey,

has anyone had any bandwidth drops when connecting a lan cable from their technicolor router to a secondary routers lan port ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Hey all,

I've been having a weird problem with my EPC2425 recently. I've been having a lot of connection drops and resets. I know all about the lease time issue and how to overcome that (learned from this thread), so it's not that.

What's happening is that I lose my connection and when I look at the modem/router the thing looks like it has reset itself and is in the process of turning back on. The weird thing is it seems to be that this is happening any time I use Google Talk. I can go a whole day farting around on the net, playing games, watching streams and all that, no problems. But as soon as I start using Google Talk I get these resets every few minutes.

I've searched the thread and forum and I don't see any mention of this problem. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be and how to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Pro. F wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've been having a weird problem with my EPC2425 recently. I've been having a lot of connection drops and resets. I know all about the lease time issue and how to overcome that (learned from this thread), so it's not that.

What's happening is that I lose my connection and when I look at the modem/router the thing looks like it has reset itself and is in the process of turning back on. The weird thing is it seems to be that this is happening any time I use Google Talk. I can go a whole day farting around on the net, playing games, watching streams and all that, no problems. But as soon as I start using Google Talk I get these resets every few minutes.

I've searched the thread and forum and I don't see any mention of this problem. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be and how to fix?

Have you Horizon WiFi free enabled mate!?

@Pro F: I think it's a UPC network problem. Happened to me in the past, replacing router did not fix it. The issue just went away after a few weeks and much complaining to upc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

My service has gone to the dogs over the last 2-3 weeks.

Can't get wifi radio most of the time now and my iPhone is picking it up very well either.

I've been onto UPC via Twitter and they have responded. But, numerous tweaks (by them, or so they say) and reboots of the modem have done nothing.

I am considering buy a powerline adapter for the wifi radio to fix the problem once and for all.

Lastly, I don't have Horizon wifi enabled (only got the letter from UPC this morning). Should I? Or would that only make the situation worse?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

madmoe wrote: »
    Have you Horizon WiFi free enabled mate!?

No, I haven't touched that.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    @Pro F: I think it's a UPC network problem. Happened to me in the past, replacing router did not fix it. The issue just went away after a few weeks and much complaining to upc.

This is what I was expecting. This is going to be annoying to fix.

They're sending around a technician. Judging by how they handled previous problems with the router I don't hold out much hope.

Thanks for the answers. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rdosemyfeet

Dinarius wrote: »
    My service has gone to the dogs over the last 2-3 weeks.

Can't get wifi radio most of the time now and my iPhone is picking it up very well either.

I've been onto UPC via Twitter and they have responded. But, numerous tweaks (by them, or so they say) and reboots of the modem have done nothing.

I am considering buy a powerline adapter for the wifi radio to fix the problem once and for all.

Lastly, I don't have Horizon wifi enabled (only got the letter from UPC this morning). Should I? Or would that only make the situation worse?

Thanks.

D.

Are you using the thompson router yeah ?

You can try different channels and broadcasting frequencys but to be honest, the wifi on those boxes are very very bad.

I would suggest getting a secondary router, and routing traffic from the thompson through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ed Comment

Had some terrible speeds lately using the thompson router. Speed tests only coming in the 30-40mbs range and sometimes dipping as low as 2mb but the ping and upload speed are fine. Sometimes it fixes itself by going to over 100mbs but not for very long. Even disconnecting all wi-fi devices doesn't help. Been onto UPC numerous times about it but it's always fine on their end. Wondering if it's the modem that's starting to go as the ethernet and Wifi ports seem fine as well. Very puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 J0nney

Regarding drops in UPC Braodband speeds

My setup:
    UPC 120 Mb broadband
    Normal set-top box (not Horizon)
    TC7200 modem/router
    Laptop with 100Mb lan port

When everything is working "normally" I can expect UPC's speed tests to show a 92Mb download speed. But I live in the real world, so I occasionally download Ubuntu from their web site in Ireland. I hope to get a Ubuntu download at 40Mb (4 Mega Bytes a second).

On occasion my connection may slow down to as low as a few Mb (thats bits not bytes). When this happens - I notice it when my web browsing slows to a crawl - I disable/enable my LAN connection via Windows Network Connections. This always clears the speed problem and I'm back to 92Mb (UPC speed test). I don’t know the cause of this occasional drop in line speed, but I'm reasonably sure it’s not caused by my laptop's hardware/software. I also dont believe its a problem with my TC7200.

For anyone having problems similar to mine - try disabling/enabling the LAN Connection through Windows Network Connection.

That is normal behaviour if someone else on the same connection starts torrenting or uploading stuff or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheNumpty

Hey all,

I want to change my wifi password but cannot log in to the 192.168.1.1 page.
    I've left the admin and password fields blank and it comes up 'invalid username or password'. I've tried using different browsers and still have the same issue.
    I have the Cisco EPC3925 modem. Any help greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

TheNumpty wrote: »
    Hey all,

I want to change my wifi password but cannot log in to the 192.168.1.1 page.
    I've left the admin and password fields blank and it comes up 'invalid username or password'. I've tried using different browsers and still have the same issue.
    I have the Cisco EPC3925 modem. Any help greatly appreciated :)

I had exactly the same issue with mine recently, it happened after UPC requested me to do a reset.

Once reset I inadvertently keyed in my last username & password on start-up & of course it rejected it because the reset had reset it to blank blank again.

Nothing would work from that point on so I reset again (holding in the reset button on back for 10 Secs)

Left the username & password blank on the first boot and it logged in. Once in I then changed my access username and password successfully.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 36 J0nney

That is normal behaviour if someone else on the same connection starts torrenting or uploading stuff or whatever.

I was the onlt one using the connection and I dont torrent and wasnt uploading/downloading stuff or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Getting the below critical error in my logs from my Thompson router :-

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received

Service drops for a min, this is happening maybe 4 times a day, anyone experienced this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Intermittently for a year +

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lillen

Just got UPC the other day, installed it today.
    Since I installed it around 16:30 this afternoon, the modem has rebooted by itself 5-6 times.
    Between 18:00 and 18:15 it rebooted twice, then it has not rebooted since - until now, 19:46.

Anyone else experiencing/have experienced issue with the modem rebooting?

Cisco EPC3925

Can't seem to find logfiles in the webinterface?

Yes many people have experienced it. Seems to be a UPC network issue, keep moaning at them until they fix it.

When it was happening to me I got router replaced - this did not fix it. After a few weeks the issue just went away. I think it's something to do with their provisioning system going nuts.

Yes many people have experienced it. Seems to be a UPC network issue, keep moaning at them until they fix it.

When it was happening to me I got router replaced - this did not fix it. After a few weeks the issue just went away. I think it's something to do with their provisioning system going nuts.

What I cannot grasp, is why the whole modem would "reboot" from a network issue?
    In my simple mind I would imagine that the issue is related to an unstable firmware, combined with issues on UPC's side.

They remotely push out new firmware to the routers. I suspect this issue is caused by it happening over and over and over.

They remotely push out new firmware to the routers. I suspect this issue is caused by it happening over and over and over.

That actually makes sense, this must be logged by UPC though. Going to terrorize them on the phone tomorrow.

Just gave them a ring now and instantly the guy on the phone suggests them ending out a technician to replace the modem.
    I'll wait a while for this to be done, as I know from other providers such as Virgin Media in the U.K, they say that after installing your internet it can be up and down for the first 48 hours - I feel that we can have a similar scenario here, even more so as our house was disconnected from the shore up until this afternoon.

I wonder what the chances of getting a different modem instead of the EPC395 are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Right.. last week we upgraded to Horizon, having had the EPC2425. Horizon wi-fi was terrible as everybody knows. Yesterday though, the woman in Technical Support agreed to send out an EPC3925 which was received today.

3641163846.png

We've got the 200mb connection and this is the speed with a Cat 5e cable. Wi-fi is still pretty much the same story. They're the same speeds than with the Horizon box (between 15-30mb), but at least better signal now.

But everything was smoother and faster with the EPC2425. Was getting ~40mb speeds on wi-fi with a 60mb connection.

Or should I just be less fussy? :p

Edit: Further reading has informed me that the 3925 hasn't the greatest wi-fi signal anyway. Bollox.

Forgot to follow up on my issue with the modem rebooting.
    The technician from UPC was here on Wednesday evening, I was at work when he came so I'm not quite certain what he did.

When I came home the modem was replaced though, and last reboot was Wednesday evening at 19:02, when I rebooted the modem to apply my settings for the new modem.

The modem is not only stable, but I am also feeling the internet to be faster. Feels great to have it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I have the EPC3925 set to bridge mode. Never had a problem with it. This morning nothing connects to the internet and my AirPort Extreme router is reporting "Double NAT". I try rebooting both devices, changing modem to router mode and back again. Nothing works. Then, just as suddenly, the router reports everything is fine and the internet is back. Anyone have any dea what that might have been about?

Advertisement