Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have the EPC3925 set to bridge mode. Never had a problem with it. This morning nothing connects to the internet and my AirPort Extreme router is reporting "Double NAT". I try rebooting both devices, changing modem to router mode and back again. Nothing works. Then, just as suddenly, the router reports everything is fine and the internet is back. Anyone have any dea what that might have been about?

UPC have reported issues in several areas in Dublin- and if you're in Dublin West- there have been severe power surges in the Lucan/Clondalkin areas. Burglar alarms going off all over the place.

I'm so glad I have surge protectors.......

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lillen

Anyone know how I can enable WPS on my Cisco EPC3925?
    I can't enable WPS (it is currently set to DISABLE and is grayed out, not allowing me to change it to ENABLE).

Anyone know how to fix it?

Edit: Very odd, after just clicking around in the menus for around 15 minutes, it magically changed to ENABLE and is no longer grayed out...

lillen wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can enable WPS on my Cisco EPC3925?
    I can't enable WPS (it is currently set to DISABLE and is grayed out, not allowing me to change it to ENABLE).

Anyone know how to fix it?

Edit: Very odd, after just clicking around in the menus for around 15 minutes, it magically changed to ENABLE and is no longer grayed out...

The reset button is just over from the cable input into the modem- hold it in for about 5 seconds. Once its reset- the default username:password combo is Admin:password - you should be able to set it up to your requirements.

The manual for the modem is here

The reset button is just over from the cable input into the modem- hold it in for about 5 seconds. Once its reset- the default username:password combo is Admin:password - you should be able to set it up to your requirements.

Yeah I know how to log on to the interface.

I can edit everything but the WPS settings.
    Now that it has switched itself to "Enable", I am unable to revert it back to "Disabled".
    This is very odd, as I am able to edit all other settings such as the encryption key, MAC filtering etc...

It's just like it is locked in the firmware for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Apologies if this has been asked about already but it's doing my head in and I'd really like a solution.

We're currently on a 30Mb connection from UPC and have the EPC2425 box. For some reason we can't get above 21/22 Mb/s over wireless, on any of our devices, when plugged in via Ethernet we get about 31 on an average speed test but due to the location of the router Ethernet is not really an option.

Has anyone experienced this themselves and know a fix?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked about already but it's doing my head in and I'd really like a solution.

We're currently on a 30Mb connection from UPC and have the EPC2425 box. For some reason we can't get above 21/22 Mb/s over wireless, on any of our devices, when plugged in via Ethernet we get about 31 on an average speed test but due to the location of the router Ethernet is not really an option.

Has anyone experienced this themselves and know a fix?

Thanks

Because the wireless just isn't as strong and that's as good as you're going to get unfortunately. I'm sure there are others here who can explain it better.

But that's a good as you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The fix is to setup your own wifi hotspot, and connect this to the upc box. However wireless will always be inferior, it's bandwidth gets shared between all clients and is subject to range and interference etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Can anyone help me with how to block Google DNS on EPC3925 ?

Which option do i have to use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why would you want to block google DNS? You'd need to bridge to a proper router to have that kind of functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I've just moved from 30mb epc2425 to 60mb on technicolor tc7200. Since I changed the reception on some channels (tv3) in particular is pausing and making a high pitched sound.
    Is this problem caused by new modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 macade

Anyone knows what is happening in my laptop?

I've recently got 120Mb broadband from UPC, but my laptop (and my laptop only - the rest of my stuff is fine) don't seem to follow up. I had 12Mb and it was way faster than now. It fails to load youtube videos, etc. It is making me so stressful.

I've already checked for any updates, changed DNS server (when I hit run -> cmd -> ipconfig /release -> ipconfig renew, it rocks a bit for a few minutes, but then it goes slow again), turned the modem off and on again... I really do not know why this is happening.

I have a Dell XPS 15 4370, everything is up to date, my antivirus (MS Essentials) is a-ok. If it changes anything, I also have an iPad, two nokia lumias (710 & 920) and an old laptop (and my Dell was the last one to get connected).

Does anyone knows what the heck is going on?

Your laptop probably has an old wifi adapter, so the speed sucks. Do test via cable to confirm.

Or maybe the laptop just has the worst signal for some reason, and other devices are hogging the bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 macade

srsly78 wrote: »
    Your laptop probably has an old wifi adapter, so the speed sucks. Do test via cable to confirm.

Or maybe the laptop just has the worst signal for some reason, and other devices are hogging the bandwidth.

I don't if it is so. When I had the 12Mb speed, it was perfectly fine, much more faster than how it is now.

Also- with all the other devices- it could well be that the wifi router you're using could be falling back to the lowest common denominator.

You can upgrade the Wifi card on the Dell fairly easily by the way- replacement cards are about 20-30 quid on ebay (make sure you get a compatible one though)

macade wrote: »
    I don't if it is so. When I had the 12Mb speed, it was perfectly fine, much more faster than how it is now.

Then do a test with an ethernet cable- and see if the wifi is the bottleneck.

macade wrote: »

Also try changing the speed/duplex settings for your network card.
    Hard to guide how to when I do not know your computer set up, but have a look here htt p://community.spiceworks.com/topic/308025-manually-change-duplex-settings

Try the different settings and see if there is any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

Hi, I think I have a 100mb package with UPC. My pc is on the wireless network and today at lunch the speed was 54mb. Is there any point in moving to the 200mb package? will i notice any difference. I do a fiar bit of gaming, battlefield etc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not unless you want to connect an ethernet cable.

pc is in the wrong part of the house, unfortunately...

not worth upgrading then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,706 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

jrby wrote: »
    pc is in the wrong part of the house, unfortunately...

not worth upgrading then?

Not really you could set the Cisco to bridge mode and buy a new wireless AC band router and fit an AC wireless card to the PC ( if it's not a laptop) and you might make some speed gains or go with some powerline plugs, but tbh 200Mbps might be a waste

• Advertisement

thanks.

so from a wireless perspective, is the limiting factor the wireless card in the pc or the modem?

Both. There are so many factors that can limit wireless speed. Firstly note that the wireless bandwidth is split between all clients, so any smartphones or tablets in your house will eat up bandwidth.

Just buy some powerline adapters and connect your pc through those. You should not be using wireless for gaming at all if you care about connection. Also setup QoS on router to make sure other users don't effect your latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,706 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

jrby wrote: »
    thanks.

so from a wireless perspective, is the limiting factor the wireless card in the pc or the modem?

Could be both if it's an older PC it probably has a wireless G band card, which would be slower to N or AC, problem with N is that depending how far you are from router and if you have solid blocks and other items that might block the wifi signal speed will be reduced or switch back to G mode, thus slower speeds. If you have a smart phone you could download ookla speed test and see what speed you get in the room with the Cisco router and see if it's the sane speed as the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 keegobytes

Hi all,
    what would be the better Modem EPC2425 or EPC3925. I have 100mbs from UPC, but it dose'nt seem to boost to far so I set up a TP-link extender in the house and I highly recommend it, just one extender nearly cover the the whole house, but the UPC modem I have is a EPC2425, and it does,nt extend enough, it gets to my TP-link and shows 2bars recommended is 3bars......

keego???

You should be connecting your routers via ethernet cable or via powerline adapters. Do not connect them via wifi - this is known as a wifi repeater and just cripples the entire network.

Also do not rely on 1 wifi hotspot to cover the whole house, it just won't work well (unless your house is very small and has paper walls). Much better to have 2 hotspots providing coverage.

Annnnd even more: do not use b/g/n mixed mode (unless you have a proper dualband router). Set up a seperate network for wifi G devices. And lastly - setup QoS on your router or you will never have good performance if there are multiple heavy users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The EPC3925 is the best of the two you mentioned

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

You should be connecting your routers via ethernet cable or via powerline adapters. Do not connect them via wifi - this is known as a wifi repeater and just cripples the entire network.

Also do not rely on 1 wifi hotspot to cover the whole house, it just won't work well (unless your house is very small and has paper walls). Much better to have 2 hotspots providing coverage.

Annnnd even more: do not use b/g/n mixed mode (unless you have a proper dualband router). Set up a seperate network for wifi G devices. And lastly - setup QoS on your router or you will never have good performance if there are multiple heavy users.

Thanks for the info srsly78 but cant make out the last bit ( b/g/n mixed mode ?, wifi G devices?, setup QoS ..) Im just an ordinary wifi guy.... but thanks all the same.....

he EPC3925 is the best of the two you mentioned

Thanks gadgetman, have to say i'm impressed with that tp_link extender TL-WA850RE boosts 300mbps.

If I could get the EPC3925 I might get an extra bar or two out of it its worth abash...as I mentioned im no genius at this but thanks for the info....

Are you connecting the routers via cable? Your post gives no indication as to how you have set things up.

Should look like
    upc cable -> upc cable modem -> ethernet cable -> second router

Just buying a good router won't make everything perfect, you still need to set stuff up. You might want to use bridge mode and stuff like that, but this is where it gets complicated. UPC are awkward as you MUST keep using their router, you can't just swap in your own. All the upc routers suck :p

QoS = quality of service. This is feature offered on many routers that allows bandwidth allocation between users. Very important for gaming, so other people don't lag you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

keegobytes wrote: »
    Thanks gadgetman, have to say i'm impressed with that tp_link extender TL-WA850RE boosts 300mbps.

If I could get the EPC3925 I might get an extra bar or two out of it its worth abash...as I mentioned im no genius at this but thanks for the info....

The EPC3925 is capable of achieving higher speeds and has the bridge option available through its menu's. If you could get one from UPC (for the higher speeds) you can simply use your own 3rd party wireless router to provide great wireless to your entire house.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement