Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Their turning off DSLite and switching me to IPV4 tomorrow so I can put the not so "super" hub3 into modem mode and use my own router. I was on 120mb previously but now on 240mb, Just realized something though, my old router isn't gigabit :eek: (here's me assuming the modem/router Virgin gave me would actually work :rolleyes: ).

Its a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 flashed with Tomato firmware 1.27. Will a 10/100 router work even if its only at 100mb until I can order a gigabit router off Amazon ?, my local stores are charging crazy money for total crap. My cooling off period is next Wednesday so I want to be sure this all works in case I need to cancel and jump ship to Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

J0hnick wrote: »
    Their turning off DSLite and switching me to IPV4 tomorrow so I can put the not so "super" hub3 into modem mode and use my own router. I was on 120mb previously but now on 240mb, Just realized something though, my old router isn't gigabit :eek: (here's me assuming the modem/router Virgin gave me would actually work :rolleyes: ).

Its a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 flashed with Tomato firmware 1.27. Will a 10/100 router work even if its only at 100mb until I can order a gigabit router off Amazon ?, my local stores are charging crazy money for total crap. My cooling off period is next Wednesday so I want to be sure this all works in case I need to cancel and jump ship to Eir.

It will work, but only expect 30-60Mb as the WAN to LAN processing just isnt there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What router would anyone recommend for use with UPC? The wifi is just so dreadful on the stock one (the new white one) and is constantly stopping and starting even with a strong connection. Totally oblivious to all things network. I use homeplugs at the moment but due to the wiring the speed tops out at 30mb, plugged directly into the router get pretty much the full 360. Figured going Wifi would give me a better return but the stock modem is hopeless.

edit: budget probably around 100-150 or so...maybe more if it's very worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

What router would anyone recommend for use with UPC? The wifi is just so dreadful on the stock one (the new white one) and is constantly stopping and starting even with a strong connection. Totally oblivious to all things network. I use homeplugs at the moment but due to the wiring the speed tops out at 30mb, plugged directly into the router get pretty much the full 360. Figured going Wifi would give me a better return but the stock modem is hopeless.

Wrong forum? This thread is discussing EPC2425/3925 routers.

degsie wrote: »
    Wrong forum? This thread is discussing EPC2425/3925 routers.

Ahh this threads remit has long been larger than that. 3925s are rare enough now (still got mine ;) ).

TF outside B&U? Madness!

I suspect your household may be a pretty enthusiast level one, if you pushing a lot of simultaneous connections then I'd go for bridging so the new unit does routing + wifi. If its a light usage and you just need the higher throughput then you can use the same devices as an access point.

C7/C8/C9 are popular choices, along with Netgears higher end set or Dlinks AC3200. Look today for Prime Day deals.

If you shove a PCI-E AC adapter in your box with an external antenna mount(so you can keep it somewhere that isnt shielded by you case) you could easily hit >200Mb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry, was browsing two threads at once and got mixed up!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I have an Asus AC68 so I think I'm pretty solid on my end, just the Virgin Hub isn't great.

Will look into a few of those suggestions but may have to pair down the budget a bit. Realistically it just needs to be a solid improvement on the Virgin Hub, don't need cutting edge....as much as I would love it, my other housemates aren't quite as passionate about it as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Hi Guys,

Question regarding my Cisco EPC3925.

I do not use Wi-Fi at home so I have it disabled in the router settings. However, a WiFi signal is still broadcast. The signal in question is the "Wi-Fi Free Horizon" wireless network.

In the settings of the router, there is an option to disable/enable this wireless broadcast. However, when I click the box for disable and then click Save Settings, the selection defaults back over to enable.

Is it possible to disable this?

I have looked in my virgin media account now and I can't find anything there that would allow me to disable this or find any reasoning as to why its defaulting to enabled...

*Edit: Ok, so I just found this LINK on virgin media website. Under my account, this is already disabled. However I never signed up to it. So it seems I need to sign up to it, disable it, then wait 72 hours for them to deactivate the Wi-Fi network on my modem. Stupid. I'll report back anyway in 72 hours & see what happens.

Yep, youve got it in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, youve got it in one.

I'm not sure I have... it is still enabled in my router settings and I am unable to disable it.

Signal is definetely being broadcast too. I'm going to have to phone them aren't I :(

Cavey wrote: »
    I'm not sure I have... it is still enabled in my router settings and I am unable to disable it.

Signal is definetely being broadcast too. I'm going to have to phone them aren't I :(

Or contact them on the Talk To.. forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Hi folks,

I'm getting a lot of issues with wifi dropping when playing online poker. A few comments online suggest that the particular poker software doesn't work well over wifi. My laptop doesn't have a port for a network cable and I don't have a docking station.

Here's the question: Can I hook the laptop up to the USB port in the Cisco 3925 and have a solid connection that way? Is that what the USB port on the router is for?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi folks,

I'm getting a lot of issues with wifi dropping when playing online poker. A few comments online suggest that the particular poker software doesn't work well over wifi. My laptop doesn't have a port for a network cable and I don't have a docking station.

Here's the question: Can I hook the laptop up to the USB port in the Cisco 3925 and have a solid connection that way? Is that what the USB port on the router is for?

Have you thought about getting a usb to ethernet adapter? Example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you thought about getting a usb to ethernet adapter? Example

I didn't know about them. That looks like an option - would that be better than connecting the router to the laptop with an ordinary USB cable?

Afaik the usb on the 3925 is not configured for a network connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Folks,

I have the 360mb broadband and I am getting in our our around 100mb wireless on my HTC One M8 and around the same on my iphone. However, I regularly only get between 4 and 40mb wireless on my laptop, mostly averaging out around 18mb. It is a reasonably new laptop (bought January 2015) which has a Realtek RTL8723BE wireless LAN 802.11N PCI-E NIC.

I am getting 320mb or so when connected via ethernet.

I have deleted and reinstalled the drivers to see if this would help, but to no avail. Does anyone know if I could do anything else or am I at capacity in terms of WIFI speeds with this laptop? Speeds remain more or less constant irrespective of how close I am to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Uriel. wrote: »
    Folks,

I have the 360mb broadband and I am getting in our our around 100mb wireless on my HTC One M8 and around the same on my iphone. However, I regularly only get between 4 and 40mb wireless on my laptop, mostly averaging out around 18mb. It is a reasonably new laptop (bought January 2015) which has a Realtek RTL8723BE wireless LAN 802.11N PCI-E NIC.

I am getting 320mb or so when connected via ethernet.

I have deleted and reinstalled the drivers to see if this would help, but to no avail. Does anyone know if I could do anything else or am I at capacity in terms of WIFI speeds with this laptop? Speeds remain more or less constant irrespective of how close I am to the router.

That card would get a max of 54Mbps, but only in a lab environment.

You could try something like this.

There is a faster 5GHz version, but I'm not sure whether your router has that capability.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    That card would get a max of 54Mbps, but only in a lab environment.

You could try something like this.

There is a faster 5GHz version, but I'm not sure whether your router has that capability.

Thanks for that... the router is the standard Virgin Media Hub 3.0 that now comes with the 360 package..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks for that... the router is the standard Virgin Media Hub 3.0 that now comes with the 360 package..

Thats a dual band A/C router- does the laptop support a different card by any chance? You can pick up good a/c cards for about 20-25 quid.

Thats a dual band A/C router- does the laptop support a different card by any chance? You can pick up good a/c cards for about 20-25 quid.
    I am not sure to be honest, I will check tonight.

Looks like I am going to have to by a separate router now anyway - getting a Nest thermostat installed at the moment and it seems the VM Hub 3.0 doesn't play well with Nest... :mad:

I am not sure to be honest, I will check tonight.

Looks like I am going to have to by a separate router now anyway - getting a Nest thermostat installed at the moment and it seems the VM Hub 3.0 doesn't play well with Nest... :mad:

You should be able to disable your laptop wifi card via the device manager and use something like this.

Just an example there are plenty of options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 quicksilver314

Hi guys, I`ve just arrived in Ireland and now I have just 15GB for a mounth :(
    Can some1 tell me more about virgin media broadband?
    Becouse I had read about their plans, and seems like they are the best for this prise. But my friend said that they are liers, not more, that they give you not unlimited Internet just 300gb(something like that), and the sped is much lowest that 24mb out.
    Thanks a lot for answear!

Hi guys, I`ve just arrived in Ireland and now I have just 15GB for a mounth :(
    Can some1 tell me more about virgin media broadband?
    Becouse I had read about their plans, and seems like they are the best for this prise. But my friend said that they are liers, not more, that they give you not unlimited Internet just 300gb(something like that), and the sped is much lowest that 24mb out.
    Thanks a lot for answear!

Maybe make a separate thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mightyz

Does anyone know why UPC is routing my traffic via Austria or Germany?

I came back from holidays and My speeds were terribly slow:
    4681834.png

after the power cycle it got improved to 2/3 of normal, but I am still routed via austria or germany...
    4681874.png

I see german routers on traceroute and tests are detecting me as UPC Austria.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mightyz wrote: »
    I see german routers on traceroute and tests are detecting me as UPC Austria.

No idea- but I'm coming up as Netherlands (though my pings are reasonable enough (but not nearly as fast as I'm used to). Can still use them for gaming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fataleight

I picked up a C8 a few weeks ago and installed it as an AP off my Virgin media supplied C3925, it works a treat and the Wi-Fi signal around the house has gone up remarkably so cheers on the heads up on this piece of kit.
    The only issue I’m having is, I have a phone with Virgin media which means if I’m not mistaken that I cannot turn on bridge mode on the C3925 without losing the phone ?
    So I have an Xbox one / 360 and a PC all wired into the C3925 which puts them on a different network to any wireless devices e.g.: phones, tablets, laptops so when I try to cast from my tablet to the Xbox one it’s not showing up as an option on the network, then I tried to put all the wired devices directly into the C8 which put them all on the same network but my Xbox one is now showing a strict NAT in its network settings, I guess this is from the two routers clashing and causing double NAT?

It’s not the end of the world if I don’t get the casting to Xbox one sorted but I thought I post it here to see what you guys think.
    I was also thinking if I could use the Virgin Media phone app instead of the phone plugged into the router, would this be a work around do you think?

It doesn't kill the phone, UPC used to say that but were incorrect.

Your using the WAN port now thus the double nat while unbridged.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fataleight

It doesn't kill the phone, UPC used to say that but were incorrect.

Your using the WAN port now thus the double nat while unbridged.

Thanks for that I will give that a go so when I get a chance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Hi, I'm having problems loading up websites through my virgin modem. I had an engineer out yesterday, he changed the modem and everything was fine but now it's gone back to the problem where I try to load up a website it takes ages. When I'm in the website itself it works fine. It's driving me mad.

Anyone any ideas please?

Boooourns wrote: »
    Hi, I'm having problems loading up websites through my virgin modem. I had an engineer out yesterday, he changed the modem and everything was fine but now it's gone back to the problem where I try to load up a website it takes ages. When I'm in the website itself it works fine. It's driving me mad.

Anyone any ideas please?

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Run this, post results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Thanks for that but just wondering if there's another way of doing that using a tablet? I'll have to borrow a laptop to do that one.

Advertisement