Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

it asks for:
    Current Password New Password Re-Enter New Password

You can't seriously be this bad at computers :p

For the current, leave it blank

for the other ones, write in a password you'll remember :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

You can't seriously be this bad at computers :p

For the current, leave it blank

for the other ones, write in a password you'll remember :pac:

I am unfortunately :o

To go into the advanced tab it asks for a username and a password

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

To go into the advanced tab it asks for a username and a password
    if you are this bad at computers you shouldnt even be looking at any of these settings

:mad:
    I just don't understand what it is looking for ?

• Advertisement

jl74ia.jpg

press ok.

you cant get into the advanced menu. its restricted

so how do I turn off the IP flood protection then

setup > firewall options

Got in eventually but the ''IP Flood Detection'' is not ticked. So it was already OFF ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Got in eventually but the ''IP Flood Detection'' is not ticked. So it was already OFF ???

Yeah, if it wasn't ticked, it was already off. What exactly is the problem with your connection anyway mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Not familiar with this router as I only got it 2 days ago; Is it possible to set your own DNS such as OpenDNS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Having waited all this time to get UPC broadband rather than eircom, its all been a bit dissapointing.....

Things were looking good Friday 2 weeks ago when the techs called over to do the install (did this as the old connections were removed and needed it all wired in etc). The tech had a n class Thomson router (white one), and we used that to confirm the signal could be picked up everywhere I needed before doing the install, which we did in the living room. All looking good, nice strong signal even at the back of the house (its an old house with very solid walls).

Then - there was a problem with the line, and I needed a call from their secondary line maintenance to repair, ok, fair enough, and the 2 of them left along with router.

Other team called a few days later, fixed the line problem in 5 mins, and said I'd hear back from UPC.

To cut a long story short, Friday last (15th April) I took delivery of the infamour Cisco router. Was away for most of the weekend, so only really got to use it yesterday evening.

Problems:

1) Wireless strength is poor and I can barely pick it up at back of house (see why above!)
    2) When connecting with more than 1 device (we have a PC desktop, netbook, iMac, iPad and 2 iPhones), connections seem to drop randomly every few minutes
    3) It keeps resetting itself to factory defaults - like every 30 mins - so if I change the channel, password, WPA to WPA2 and so on, it keeps reverting to original settings

Anyway, I rang tech support at 9:01 this morning, and they've told me to ring another number at 12 today for self install support, so I'll report back when I talk to then in an hour or so.....

Hopefully I can get this sorted out - poor as eircom was I never had any issues, of course I did use my own router......

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

press ok.

you cant get into the advanced menu. its restricted

Someone posted it as admin/W2402 but when I went into it everything just said "This feature is not enabled."

I've had crap speeds but also bothering me is the modem rebooting to factory settings occasionally. This has happened three times so far. Will UPC replace the modem if it keeps doing this? It happened today and was down for over ten minutes (enough time to go to the shop and buy the paper). And if they won't replace it for free, can I purchase the Thompson router from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Hey All,

I have been looking for a way to forward a port to the broadcast address of my network 192.168.1.255. If I try and do this from within the routers web cpanel I get 'invalid ip'. Has anyone achieved this. I want to issue a wake on lan packet over the internet to turn on my server. I only usually remotely access it maybe once a week and am trying to cut down on the electric bills.

On a side note has anybody had any expierence with DD-WRT or Tomato? Which is the best(most features) firmware and which router would you recommend to run it on along side my UPC router.

John.

thats because it is an invalid IP.

you can't forward to a broadcast address, only a specific ip address.

your max range will be 192.168.1.2-254

I don't think you will be able to do what you want across the internet.

Someone posted it as admin/W2402 but when I went into it everything just said "This feature is not enabled."

I've had crap speeds but also bothering me is the modem rebooting to factory settings occasionally. This has happened three times so far. Will UPC replace the modem if it keeps doing this? It happened today and was down for over ten minutes (enough time to go to the shop and buy the paper). And if they won't replace it for free, can I purchase the Thompson router from them?
    you can get into it, but there's nothing in there that day to day users need to know. its more for VoIP configs and WAN configs as far as i can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

clearz wrote: »
    Hey All,

I have been looking for a way to forward a port to the broadcast address of my network 192.168.1.255. If I try and do this from within the routers web cpanel I get 'invalid ip'. Has anyone achieved this. I want to issue a wake on lan packet over the internet to turn on my server. I only usually remotely access it maybe once a week and am trying to cut down on the electric bills.

On a side note has anybody had any expierence with DD-WRT or Tomato? Which is the best(most features) firmware and which router would you recommend to run it on along side my UPC router.

John.

Luckily I saw this thread before I signed up to UPC so asked them for a wired modem. As I planned to run a custom firmware I went for the most compatible router - a Linksys (now Cisco) wrt54g (careful which version you get though not all of them run all firmwares) - I picked it up on adverts.ie with Tomato pre-installed. Using Tomato I've been able to turn up the transmit power, schedule internet access to xbox live to turn off at 10.30pm on school nights and WOL locally and remotely - see this guide. Bandwidth monitoring is pretty handy too although logs can be wiped by a powercycle - to get around this I used this script which backup the logs in my UPC ftp space.

I don't know anything about dd-wrt as Tomato seems to do everything I need - over on a post I put up on the HTPC forum might be able to help you out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Wishox

Got 20 meg a few months back and all i can say is this UPC service is the worst BB i have ever used in quite a number of years using BB, i have had 3 "engineers" who all done and said the same thing with no success, 3 replaced routers and i am still getting disconnected EVERY night at least twice but mostly about 5 or 6 times, i also have the phone with them too so when the BB goes so does the phone. If you are thinking of using the service for gaming ? forget about it from 7pm to about 10pm the pings go from about 40 to 130 to a server in the UK. I was then told by "Customer Service" that they do not support ping or latency issues and if i want to phone a Premium number they might, might be able to help me, An absolute shambles and will be contacting comreg.

Soon to be an ex UPC customer (TV,PHONE,BB)

is this on wireless or wired?

• Advertisement

Having spoken to the 'self install' helpline, things are looking somewhat better....

1) He asked me to do a factory reset which I thought was a waste of time, but did it anyway
    2) Was a bit dismissive about my issue with range of the Cisco versus the Thomson, but more on that in a minute

So, after resetting the thing, I went into the setup and changed password, security and so on to what I wanted. Router reset a few mins later.

Tried again, and this time i noticed that when I select WPA2 security, it doesn't automatically de-select WPA - so in effect I was trying to run the router with 2 types of security on (doh!). Having copped that, i set it all up again and things were ok this morning (10 hours later), so fingers crossed.....

On the subject of range, I re-explained that the tech install guy had used the Thomson router to check the reception at the back of the house. The phone guy explained that the tech shouldn't have used that, to which I replied I didn't really care, i want reception at the back of myhouse or the installation point moved.

We didn't really resolve the point (other than another tech is calling out to investigate), but am I being silly about this?. I'm getting 'fair' reception on the desktop PC at the back of the house, and it seems to be ok. Are there downsides that I'm not aware of to that strength of reception?. Is there a simple way to boost signal?.

A few years ago i'd be totally livid over this, but to be honest there are more important things to get worked up over, so I'm not interested in a long campaign against UPC if its not a big deal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Are there downsides that I'm not aware of to that strength of reception?. Is there a simple way to boost signal?

If the signal is strong enough to get your full internet speed I'd say no. On the other hand you might be sharing/streaming from other computers on your network and then might benefit from a better connection. if wireless isn't a priority for the back of your house you could try a pair of homeplugs good price here for 200mbs ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Wishox wrote: »
    Got 20 meg a few months back and all i can say is this UPC service is the worst BB i have ever used in quite a number of years using BB, i have had 3 "engineers" who all done and said the same thing with no success, 3 replaced routers and i am still getting disconnected EVERY night at least twice but mostly about 5 or 6 times, i also have the phone with them too so when the BB goes so does the phone. If you are thinking of using the service for gaming ? forget about it from 7pm to about 10pm the pings go from about 40 to 130 to a server in the UK. I was then told by "Customer Service" that they do not support ping or latency issues and if i want to phone a Premium number they might, might be able to help me, An absolute shambles and will be contacting comreg.

Soon to be an ex UPC customer (TV,PHONE,BB)

I had this problem, all I had to do was go to the router page (192.168.1.1) go to Lan IP address management and set the lease time to 99999999 (-1 didn't work for me :/ ) Ping is usually amazing for me, from 7pm onwards its usually about 10ms.

Once I got past some of the head-wrecking settings of this router, it's been great (Except for getting my NAS to work with the xbox's in the house :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

I'm having big problems with my upc wireless at the moment

I have to refresh pages regularly because it keeps timing out

Anyone any suggestions as to how to fix it? It's happening with all 3 laptops in the house so it's definitely a modem problem

I'll give this thread a proper read tomorrow when I have more time but if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it

Ok think I'm sorted......

Bought one of these:

Linksys E4200

Lovely thing - a bit too sleek and sexy for a router, but there you go.....

Set up the UPC cisco unit in gateway mode (by the way the instruction for this on the first sticky is a bit out of date, you need to manually go to http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp , rather than just selecting it from the basic menu). I know this info is easily found if you search, but as the first page sticky is so handy, might be worth sticking it up there.....

And I'm getting this with no restarts, issues or anything:

untitled.jpg

Happy days......

• Registered Users Posts: 5 davidindublin

I recently moved from Eircom (8mb next generation BB and talkime talker) to UPCs 30Mb BB and world anytime talk phone.

The speed of the BB is great but the constant " dropping out " of signal leaving us with no internet or phone.
    It has been happening for a few seconds about 5 times a day everyday since we got it.( annoying when you have to keep restarting radio etc . and forget about Skype )
    UPC have said i can leave my contract with them

Two days it went off for 2 hours so we called out a technician who couldnt find anything wrong......
    He left an hour ago and since then it has been off twice , for 15 then 10 minutes.

This means you need to use a mobile to phone them.

Also they charge extra if you dont use their TV service (fat chance) so it works out more expensive for me.

Im not happy and will be moving back to eircom after Easter, they were so much better.
    Or are there better phone/BB companies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

NRDx wrote: »
    hi guys,

dont know what im doing wrong here but ive followed numerous guides from these boards trying to get my EPC2425 set up in bridging mode to let my dd-wrt router do the real work.

before i do any of this i setup a static ip address on my wired interface to 192.168.1.100, i do everything else using wired interface

Here is what i have done

1 - setup the EPC2425 (192.168.100.1 ) setup tab -> gateway mode -> set to bridge
    2 - plugin the ethernet cable on the EPC2425 into one of the 4 ethernet ports on the back.
    3 - plug the other end of the cable into the WAN port on the dd-wrt router
    4 - now on the dd-wrt Setup -> Basic Setup -> Wan Connection Type -> Disabled

5 - Network Setup , Router setup as below
    • router ip - 192.168.1.2
    • subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    • gateway - 192.168.1.1
    • localDNS - 192.168.1.1
    5 - WAN port -> Assign WAN Port to Switch -> checked
    6 - DHCP enabled
    7 - dns servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    8 - Setup -> advanced routing -> Operating Mode = Router

ive played around with these settings somewhat but i think i am missing the right combination. Can anyone shed some light or does anyone else have this working with a EP2425 and DD-WRT setup?

Thanks
    i have the cisco router working with the dd-wrt router

looking at your setup your default gateway on the dd-wrt router is wrong u need to specify the cisco router's LAN address (192.168.100.1) and local dns on the cisco router should be blank (upc will put one in automatically)

also on the cisco router u need to disable dhcp mode and wireless mode

set the dd-wrt router to do dhcp and wireless to avoid ip conflicts and primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4.

About to attempt this using a new NETGEAR 3700 router that I'm going to buy. Hoping it will resolve my two xboxs NAT issue. Is there anything else I need to do apart from what's written above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PaulLawless

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows any way to configure the Cisco EPC2425 so that it can only be used for basically web traffic and skype. I'm setting the router up in shared accommodation and want to prevent people maxing out the bandwidth downloading torrents etc. Can i use something like QoS or similar?
    Any tips??

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Wishox

is this on wireless or wired?

Wired Matt, Wireless turned off, firewall turned off , looking at ping now and its 130ms, was told by "tech support" to have to pingtest to dublin ???? so basically any ping issues out side of dublin, (where i live) they dont see a problem with it being high !!!. cancelling tomorrow morning :mad:

• Advertisement

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows any way to configure the Cisco EPC2425 so that it can only be used for basically web traffic and skype. I'm setting the router up in shared accommodation and want to prevent people maxing out the bandwidth downloading torrents etc. Can i use something like QoS or similar?
    Any tips??
    Pauli,

Keith n kerrie said no u cant

Advertisement