Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 illegal baby names!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Holy Moly!

No Miatts in Germany, Fridays in Italy or Toms in Portugal? Those governments need to learn some fricken boundaries.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It is. The founder of Ferrari was Enzo Ferrari.
    Same with most car companies. They're named after the people who founded the company. Bentley, Rolls Royce, Mercedes (named after the founder's daughter i think), Lamborghini, Bugatti, McLaren, Porsche, Renault, Honda, Citroen etc.

In fact there are few car companies which aren't named after their founder. Jaguar, Land Rover, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, BMW, VW, Audi and a few more I cant think of now...
    Like.... maybe... Ford?!!!!!!!?! How did you miss that one :p:)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

thems feckin beckhams have a lot to answer for. that 'number 16 bus shelter' in new zealand was another place of conception.

as for irish names, they're great, but those hippies at the eco camp in offaly last year did their daughter no favours calling her uisce.

then there was that girl on the irish take me out. she likened herself to a sportscar so changed her name to klamborghini. the k was to make her unique. spa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

awesom_o wrote: »
    Going to a gaelscoil for 15 years, I have encountered some odd irish names that shouldn't of been allowed.

Sneachta (snow)
    ocras (hunger)
    :cool:

seriously.

I've heard of someone who named their child Díomá. As in disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've heard of someone who named their child Díomá. As in disappointment.
    more like ceataí substaintiúil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Going to a gaelscoil for 15 years, I have encountered some odd irish names that shouldn't of been allowed.

Sneachta (snow)
    ocras (hunger)

seriously.

I've heard of a girl in a Gaelscoil called Ailse (meaning Cancer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Better than Dick Seamen I suppose...

...or Willie Stroker:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

I heard about this a while ago - and how I LoL'd:

"A pair of twins in New Zealand were named "Benson" and "Hedges" after the brand and were cited by a New Zealand judge amongst a list of inappropriate children's names"

:D

Full artical;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benson_%26_Hedges#In_popular_culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

when I worked in the trinity dental hospital we had three walls of fame for crazily names patients, each patients chart would have stickers with their name in so if we found a good one we would stick it to the wall, I can only remember a few at this stage, there was a teenage girl called baby, anothe rone called xena, pat mcgee, ita mgee, quite a few john players, one guy was just called x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A lot of odd names people name their kids. Some of the irish names can baffle you but most of them are nice. Hope to name my kids with irish names some day! Parents who name their kids after a country or city would be a bit weird though. The celebrity names can be a bit weird too the likes of peaches and apple etc. I suppose its being innovative and different I suppose. If you named them after celebrities like shakira that wouldn't be half bad but would be weird all the same. The english names or those after saints/christian names are safe names to call their children but can be well tiring cause nearly every second person you know/meet might have the same name. At least with names outside those types of names there is a bit of variety and not everyone will end up with the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

The only reason The Pope wants Christian names is so his priests know who to abuse and know their parents wont believe them becaue they are "CHRISTIAN"!

DUH! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I heard there was a jockey named Bastard (Bis-taard or the like..not Baas-terd) who named his kid Robin.

Robin Bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Not sure if it's been mentioned already. But in work in the 90s (In Dublin City Centre), I had the pleasure of being introduced to a Pochahontas.

Wel, 'introduced' is a bit strong. Was more along the lines of:

"he-yur, Pochahontas. Give the man yer bleedin' magazine. Jaysus I'm awwfil sorry. She does be always actin' like dah. Messin' like."

Met a Brian O'Brien there too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

what about the Indian politician called Dikshit.. this guy took it too far and got the sack over mocking her name and race..niiiice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I'm quite partial to Flex Buttocks and White Power, just to get them on some sort of "No Fly List".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Even though i use my Irish first name my mother gave me the name of Mezcal after the alcohol that's famous in the Oaxaca region of Mexico as her father was from there. It's the first name on my Mexican passport. I really should have switched it around and used the Irish one over there because the name raises a few eyebrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If you are willing to give your children ridiculous names, then you should be castrated and whatever the women thingy version is.

Too tired to make further points. I'm right though. No point in arguing against me.

terry

How can I help you?

What's that? I can't help you?
    Well, you wouldn't be the first person beyond help. It's ok. We all have our problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

I remember hearing a father call his kid "Oat", pretentious clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Some of the names mentioned are outrageous, but there's also plenty of "skanger" names out there as well. Girls called Rhianna, Beyonce, Britney or which are deliberately misspelt e.g. Treyc. Boys are perhaps a bit more lucky that they don't tend to suffer as much from "exotic" pop music names although I'm sure Dappy is there somewhere down the line.

I remember a few years ago on another message board around the time of Britney Spears and Kevin Federline's divorce, one poster implied that their two children were called Billy-Joe and Cletus. Cue several replies asking if those were the kids real names! :D The idea that Britney Spears had the "white thrash" background on her made some people seriously believe that her children really had those names without checking somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

When we were picking our 'saint' names for our confirmation, a boy in my class chose St. Sexburga.

Silas seems to be becoming a very popular name for boys.....Silas like WTF?

The name I hate more than any is Cait, pronounced kind of like kyte...it just sounds ridiculous, now that should be illegal, i'd rather be called tallulah does the hula from hawaii anyday over that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I've heard of a girl in a Gaelscoil called Ailse (meaning Cancer)

Ailse is a common enough name. I've met a few. There was a character called Ailse on Home and Away for donkey's years. It's closer to 'Elsa', means 'island'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

there a couple of gandalfs floating around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Back in the mid-80s, girls were choosing Madonna as their confirmation name and the priests were ecstatic because it was another name for the Virgin Mary! Obviously they didn't know the one they were really naming themselves after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

There a two little traveller girls (sisters) who live near me, called Mariah and Shakira.

Always thought that was bad but some of these names are waay worse. MINGUS:eek: ffs why would anyone want to put their child through the horror of having that name?

*500 posts! w00t:D

I also have a young traveller girl called Shakira living near me! Maybe it's a new trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

when I worked in the trinity dental hospital we had three walls of fame for crazily names patients, each patients chart would have stickers with their name in so if we found a good one we would stick it to the wall, I can only remember a few at this stage, there was a teenage girl called baby, anothe rone called xena, pat mcgee, ita mgee, quite a few john players, one guy was just called x

I used to work in housing and we also had quite a good laugh at some of the names. We had people named after dance music, loads of Kenzies, Beyonce (but no Kelly Rowland) Princess, Baby, and one poor kid whose name involved a rocket and a celestial body. Some people are just cruel but it did fill the gaps in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Superwhy

Barrington wrote: »
    God

Well I know of a kid called Godknows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Naming a kid after it's place of conception....nice and classy :P

Yep. I was conceived in the jacks.

(so was my brother, Lou)

It is. The founder of Ferrari was Enzo Ferrari.
    Same with most car companies. They're named after the people who founded the company. Bentley, Rolls Royce, Mercedes (named after the founder's daughter i think), Lamborghini, Bugatti, McLaren, Porsche, Renault, Honda, Citroen etc.

In fact there are few car companies which aren't named after their founder. Jaguar, Land Rover, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, BMW, VW, Audi and a few more I cant think of now...

Actually the car was named after the daughter of one of the company founders who were, if my memory serves me correctly, Gottlieb von Daimler and Otto Benz.

fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

faceman wrote: »
    Isn't Ferrari a real name tho?

Surname.

I used to work with an Argentinian named "Mercedes".

Superwhy wrote: »
    Well I know of a kid called Godknows...

Godfrey
    Godwin
    (Godfail?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Johnny_Trotter

I think most people have forgotten the case where Mr. and Mrs. Peacock named their son Drew

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article95505.ece

Drew Peacock...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

So perhaps the recent trend for using Irish names was our generation projecting a latent desire to be able to speak Irish or have tighter ties to our more traditional culture through our children.

The trend isn't just for Irish names though, it's largely for pre-Christian Irish names. So if it means anything it's probably a subconscious desire to scratch out the influence the church has had on the country. Irish but not Catholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

iguana wrote: »
    The trend isn't just for Irish names though, it's largely for pre-Christian Irish names. So if it means anything it's probably a subconscious desire to scratch out the influence the church has had on the country. Irish but not Catholic.

Or a conscious desire to be 'fashionable' more like.

prinz wrote: »
    Or a conscious desire to be 'fashionable' more like.

I don't think so. It only became "fashionable" because an awful lot of people were doing it. And it became a popular trend at the same time as the Church's decline gathered momentum. I doubt that's a total coincidence.

I don't think so. It only became "fashionable" because an awful lot of people were doing it. And it became a popular trend at the same time as the Church's decline gathered momentum. I doubt that's a total coincidence.

Coinciding with the rise in popularity of Gaelscoileanna etc. I don't think you can pin it on any one factor that's all. Is calling your kid Beyoncé/Shakira/Princess (which I've heard recently - poor kid) a subconscious political/social statement? Names like all fashions tend to go in circles anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Barrington wrote: »
    God

God Shammgod played basketball for Providence College in the 90's and was later drafted by the Washington Wizards.

Coinciding with the rise in popularity of Gaelscoileanna etc.

But it's not just Irish names that rose in popularity, it was specifically pre-Christian Irish names that had the biggest rise in popularity. It's not so long ago that priests were refusing to baptise children with those names, do you truly believe that the fall of the Church's influence alongside the rise in popularity of previously "forbidden" names are two events in isolation?

Calling your child after a prominent figure is nothing new. Look at the amount of boys named Henry or Edward in mediaeval and renaissance era England. Of course it's a (at the very least) subconscious attempt to elevate the child's status in later life.

But it's not just Irish names that rose in popularity, it was specifically pre-Christian Irish names that had the biggest rise in popularity..

Almost all traditional old Irish names are pre-Christian. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Coinciding with the rise in popularity of Gaelscoileanna etc. I don't think you can pin it on any one factor that's all. Is calling your kid Beyoncé/Shakira/Princess (which I've heard recently - poor kid) a subconscious political/social statement? Names like all fashions tend to go in circles anyway.

but is it just me or does anyone else think Beyoncé Murphy, or Princess O Sullivan, or Shakira O Connor, just sound wrong???

they are stage names for a reason!

• Advertisement

Almost all traditional old Irish names are pre-Christian. :confused:

No they aren't, plenty of them are Irish versions of biblical/other Christian names. Sean, Seamus, Padraig, Áine, Máire, etc. None of which have seen the same rise in popularity as Oisín, Finn/Fionn, Aisling, Saoirse, etc.

No they aren't, plenty of them are Irish versions of biblical/other Christian names. Sean, Seamus, Padraig, Áine, Máire, etc. None of which have seen the same rise in popularity as Oisín, Finn/Fionn, Aisling, Saoirse, etc.

We'll have to agree to diasagree on this one tbh, as you said a rise in popularity, the same things happens with English names. Names go up the list, names go back down the list.

That does not have to equate to some subconscious decision to make some sort of anti-Christian/RCC or any other stand. According to the CSO while Sean has been consistently in the top 3 Oisin dropped two places between 08 and 09, Fionn is down a few places since 07 and Aisling has dropped 16 places in the last 5 years, Saoirse rose between 04 and 05 and is holding steady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

had a p/t job in college and the kids used to come in for their sunday dinner of chips and drinks, used to chat to them and there were great names like crystal , alexis and fallon ( parents fans of dynasty), mind you they used to call me missus when all of 19 yrs of age;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

This might be a bit inappropriate to say, and a warning from the mods would not be taken personally :p, but I reeeeeeally hate the name "Dearbhla" and its derivatives. I think it's a horrible name and I cannot understand how someone could name their child "Dearbhla". To anyone on boards named Dearbhla: sorry, Dearbhla!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Sneachta (snow)
    ocras (hunger)

seriously.

how many years have you stayed back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Ridley

I discovered Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii last year and thought, and still think, it's a great name. She should have just had it shortened to Talula.
    UNUSUAL NAMES
    Allowed: Violence; Number 16 Bus Shelter; Midnight Chardonnay; Benson and Hedges (twins)
    Blocked: Yeah Detroit; Stallion; Twisty Poi; Keenan Got Lucy; Sex Fruit; Fat Boy; Cinderella Beauty Blossom; Fish and Chips (twins)

I also took Violence and Midnight Chardonnay as my imaginary band name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

Anita goodsheet or Allota fagina :D

ETA this is kinda sick

Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K. Yes, that's right: a baby named after the illicit drug ketamine. Oh, and that's pronounced "Your Highness," by the way.
    Urhiness Kendall was born on Saturday, February 15, 2003, weighing 8 pounds 8 ounces. The baby shared birthdays with another guy with a weird name: Galileo Glilei, who went on to become a famous mathematician and astronomer

Something tell me Your highness won't go on to be a mathematician :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

This might be a bit inappropriate to say, and a warning from the mods would not be taken personally :p, but I reeeeeeally hate the name "Dearbhla" and its derivatives. I think it's a horrible name and I cannot understand how someone could name their child "Dearbhla". To anyone on boards named Dearbhla: sorry, Dearbhla!

Why though?

Surely it's better than Derval?

I think it's a really individual name, but not in a traveller/hippie way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's an article in todays Guardian by a lady who has kinda accidentally fallen foul of this "stupid name" phenomenon.

Link

For those too lazy to click.....

Eric Schmidt of Google recently suggested that young people should be entitled to change their identity at some point, to escape a misspent youth. Maybe this would also be a good way to rectify our parents' faux pas. As governments are increasingly storing biometrical data on our passport, maybe they should give us back a bit more flexibility with our names?
    In case Eric Schmidt is reading this

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/problems_in_marriages_and_other_relationships/changing_your_name_by_deed_poll.html
    Children aged between 14 and 17 years can execute the Deed Poll themselves but need the consent of both parents. Where a child is under the age of 14 years, one of the child's parents must execute the Deed Poll with the consent of the other parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bertie, Ivor and Brian will be in short supply in Ireland in the next few years methinks.

I'm not making this up, but I saw a guys name on a class list in college and his name was Clint Rock. And I went to college in Ireland before anyone asks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I saw my ex wife a few days ago and ended up giving her Chlamydia.
    I still wonder how I managed to persuade her that it was an acceptable name to give our daughter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement