Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 illegal baby names!

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My wife just gave birth to our first child, he's 9lbs 11

Weird name but we like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Why though?

Surely it's better than Derval?

I think it's a really individual name, but not in a traveller/hippie way.

It's just that when I think of someone named Dearbhla I think of a rich white girl with a bit of an ego about her. This is obviously not true for most Dearbhlas. It's just that I go to Trinity (I know, I know) and every second fúcking female there is named "Dearbhla" or "Aoife".

Before I get bashed for being a Trinity student, even I think there's a huge amount of wánkers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The name Dearbhla always reminds me of a heavy diesel truck for some reason. Don't like the name or any Irish name given to a person from an obvious Anglophone background in Ireland. Its too prentitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 littlenightowl

doolox wrote: »
    The name Dearbhla always reminds me of a heavy diesel truck for some reason. Don't like the name or any Irish name given to a person from an obvious Anglophone background in Ireland. Its too prentitious.

.....it comes from dearbh aille meaning true beauty (like inner beauty), I think that's lovely!did you know thats where it comes from? - sorry i meant to quote the origional dearbhla comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I think most people have forgotten the case where Mr. and Mrs. Peacock named their son Drew

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article95505.ece

Drew Peacock...:rolleyes:

My best mates boyfriend works with a guy called Christopher. Not so bad til you add in the surname Peacock. Again not so bad until you realise that all his friends call him Chris.
    doolox wrote: »

Really hate most Irish names myself and feel it is unfair to lumber a child with a name that not even other English speaking countries will be able to understand.

That said was proud when my son Jacob Marley took an old Irish Christian name for his confirmation: Feckin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm dreading the day where some absolute weapon ends up inserting either an '@', # or . into someone's name. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I wonder how many Rihannas there are in Ireland and the UK now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Know of a girl called Britney Mears.

Advertisement